Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

We still control our own destiny to make the playoffs.  Buffalo's schedule gets a lot harder now and we get a head-to-head against them at home.  The other 3 teams are Indy, Oakland and Tennessee and they all have flaws.  Of course if we lose to Cleveland next week, it's all moot as they will surpass us as in the playoff race.  The defense is going to need to play out of their minds the rest of this season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I think if the Steelers go with Hodges, that puts a damper on the entertainment value.

I didn't find anything that Mason Rudolph was doing yesterday as entertaining.   Granted Hodges is going to have 2 or 3 of those games as  well.  Nobody believes that either one of them is the future. 

Tomlin really should be considered coach of the year if he can take this almost XFL like squad on offense to the playoffs.   I was watching the game at a bar and I almost questioned my fandom because I couldn't recognize most of the running backs and receivers in that game.

Edited by hammerva

We have playoff tie-breakers over Indy and Oakland.  If we beat Cleveland next week, we'll have a pretty big lead over them.  Tennessee is likely going to be the biggest barrier to making the playoffs (if we beat Cleveland).  They're hitting on all cylinders and have an easy schedule coming up as well.  

That's based on the assumption that only the #6 spot is open, if Buffalo drops like a rock, then more opportunities open up.

I'd love to see the Steelers make the playoffs after all the adversity that they encountered this year, that said, no one believes they're going to make any noise in the playoffs if they do make it.  The AFC is - at best - a four team race...probably two, maybe one.

The NFC is a little more wide open.

• Like 1

I'm not "sold on" Hodges either but his current floor is Rudolph...   Mason is not mobile - Hodges can at least move around.   I think Mason is ok with great protection but he looks like Henne out there imo.  Way too late with throws, panics with pressure   - just my .02

Oh and the Steelers suck at evaluating QB talent

Edited by belljr
  • Like 1

Quack. Quack, Quack, Quack! We finally sat Rudolph! Hodges isn't amazing, but he at least knows how to hit a WR in stride. I had 0 hope that we would win next week with Rudolph, but I think we have a 50/50 shot with Duck at the helm. Our O-line needs to improve.

Also, it's freakin amazing that we got Deon Cain. I hope they work him in a lot more next week. He's very talented and probably our 3rd best WR when Juju is in. If we can get Conner and Juju back next week, I think we have a 60-40 shot to win. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I didn't find anything that Mason Rudolph was doing yesterday as entertaining.   Granted Hodges is going to have 2 or 3 of those games as  well.  Nobody believes that either one of them is the future. 

Tomlin really should be considered coach of the year if he can take this almost XFL like squad on offense to the playoffs.   I was watching the game at a bar and I almost questioned my fandom because I couldn't recognize most of the running backs and receivers in that game.

By entertainment value I was referring to Rudolph going up against Cleveland (given the incident that happened a week ago).  Other than that, I agree that there is 0 entertainment value associated with that guy.

BTW - I think I'm ready to do a complete 180 on Tomlin at this point.  The job that he's done with these complete scrubs on offense is nothing short of spectacular.  Most impressed I've been with him since his early years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

BTW - I think I'm ready to do a complete 180 on Tomlin at this point.  The job that he's done with these complete scrubs on offense is nothing short of spectacular.  Most impressed I've been with him since his early years.

If he manages to get this team to the playoffs, with the number of injuries they had this year, he deserves consideration for coach of the year honors.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Idiot Boxer said:

If he manages to get this team to the playoffs, with the number of injuries they had this year, he deserves consideration for coach of the year honors.

Seriously. And these guys play hard and seem like they would run through a wall for Tomlin. 

It's absolutely mind boggling that we were a bad call and OT away from beating this Ravens team with Mason frigging Rudolph.  As bad as the Steelers are on offense, they can go up against anyone with that defense.  Imagine if Tuitt was still in the lineup.   :loco: 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

It's absolutely mind boggling that we were a bad call and OT away from beating this Ravens team with Mason frigging Rudolph.  As bad as the Steelers are on offense, they can go up against anyone with that defense.  Imagine if Tuitt was still in the lineup.   :loco: 

Yes but I do think the Baltimore offense is playing at an entirely different level now.   I admit that I was not a believer but the light has come on for Lamar Jackson.   As long as he has his mobility he is going to be darn near unstoppable.

• Like 2

That's Tomlins niche, being a rah rah players coach.  Where he falls short is when you hit the top rung and need a mastermind. That's why it's hard when they have a top team and then play down to their opponent... in that (vs the 1-8 Raiders) setting the team isnt buying the emotion and it's about Xs n Os. 

58 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Yes but I do think the Baltimore offense is playing at an entirely different level now.   I admit that I was not a believer but the light has come on for Lamar Jackson.   As long as he has his mobility he is going to be darn near unstoppable.

This is true.  At least we get them again in week 17.  That's our only hope in that game.  

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

Baltimore's defense is playing much better, too. 

On 11/24/2019 at 8:44 PM, Godsbrother said:

First off, love him or hate him, Tomlin is not an idiot.  I was giving Rudolph the benefit of the doubt and I still don’t think it was all on him but he played like poop and I was heartened to see the move to Hodges.  

I am still not sold on the Duck but the Steelers had to do something, Anything, to spark the offense and they did so I give them credit for that.

We got the win and I’m glad for that but this team, especially the offensive line, better play better next week against the Browns or it won’t matter who is playing QB

I never said he was an idiot.  I was obviously (see what I did there?) misquoted.

I said he's a moron. 

3 minutes ago, dbc925 said:

I never said he was an idiot.  I was obviously (see what I did there?) misquoted.

I said he's a moron. 

My bad but I always thought that idiot and moron were pretty much the same thing

Duck getting the start.  No definitive word on JuJu or Conner but after hearing Conner talk about his shoulder on Monday night there is very little chance he plays this week IMO

• Like 4

Refs did us zero favors today but what a great win!  There should be zero doubt left that Hodges is the guy for the rest of this season. He looks a billion times more poised than Rudolph and can actually make a few plays on his feet.  I'm not fooling myself to believe that this team is any type of contender but the future looks pretty bright (if Ben comes back healthy).  They have 4 winnable games coming up (there is a chance that week 17 is meaningless for the Ravens).

• Like 3

Never was a Steelers fan but I am impressed by how they have responded this year.   This reason alone, like it or not, is probably why all the people saying to fire Tomlin are wrong. SO many coaches would have packed it in and delivered you a 5-11 this season.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, kodycutter said:

Nice win fellas.   Man I wish my team (2-10) had Tomlin coaching them next year.

Make an offer.  😂

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Browns: "Pittsburgh started it."

Steelers: "Pittsburgh finished it."  🤜🤜🤜💥💥💥

Edited by Endowed
  • Love 1

I'm not a Tomlin fan, never have been. I'm well aware that plenty of teams would be happy to have him, but I stand by every criticism of his lack of in-game adjustments, his awful track record of challenges, and how often his teams have shown up flat in spots they have no business showing up flat. I still believe that inheriting a HOF QB has masked a lot of his shortcomings as a coach.

Feeling that way doesn't preclude me from acknowledging that this team has FAR exceeded my expectations and I'm impressed that they've stayed together and positive in the face of a ton of adversity. I think the success of the defense has kind of spearheaded a belief that they'll be in every game, and the offense's job is just not to turn it over and screw it up. If they can make a few plays a game, all the better. 

I also don't think this team would've been as successful if they hadn't moved on from Antonio Brown and possibly Le'veon Bell. Especially Brown. The lack of drama this year has been nice.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Texans winning tonight would be a good thing for the Steelers.

58 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

I'm not a Tomlin fan, never have been. I'm well aware that plenty of teams would be happy to have him, but I stand by every criticism of his lack of in-game adjustments, his awful track record of challenges, and how often his teams have shown up flat in spots they have no business showing up flat. I still believe that inheriting a HOF QB has masked a lot of his shortcomings as a coach.

Feeling that way doesn't preclude me from acknowledging that this team has FAR exceeded my expectations and I'm impressed that they've stayed together and positive in the face of a ton of adversity. I think the success of the defense has kind of spearheaded a belief that they'll be in every game, and the offense's job is just not to turn it over and screw it up. If they can make a few plays a game, all the better. 

I also don't think this team would've been as successful if they hadn't moved on from Antonio Brown and possibly Le'veon Bell. Especially Brown. The lack of drama this year has been nice.

As one of the few Tomlin supporters on FBG I feel vindicated somewhat m. This is not a good Steelers team but Tomlin and his staff have willed this team to a 7-5 record.

Tomlin has his faults but he is doing a great job and all those that wanted to run him or of town should consider how many other coaches could turn a rag tag team like this into a playoff contender 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

16 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

As one of the few Tomlin supporters on FBG I feel vindicated somewhat m. This is not a good Steelers team but Tomlin and his staff have willed this team to a 7-5 record.

Tomlin has his faults but he is doing a great job and all those that wanted to run him or of town should consider how many other coaches could turn a rag tag team like this into a playoff contender 

WTF!   

They have a pro-bowler or soon to be pro-bowler at almost every position. This is opposite from what you call a "not a  good  Steelers team.".   Rag tag team  is laughable, I'm glad your not in charge of personal decisions.  Holy crap.

Just now, bucksoh said:

WTF!   

They have a pro-bowler or soon to be pro-bowler at almost every position. This is opposite from what you call a "not a  good  Steelers team.".   Rag tag team  is laughable, I'm glad your not in charge of personal decisions.  Holy crap.

???   Sure except for QB, TE, WR, RB, 80% of the O line, 75-80% of the defense, punter, kicker,  etc.  Other than that, you're spot on.    :lmao:  

I hate the Steelers. 

That being said Tomlin having this collection of scrubs with this record is nothing short of amazing :tipshat:

Yeah Tomlin just knew Hodges was the better QB ALL ALONG. 

Edited by GROOT

29 minutes ago, bucksoh said:

WTF!   

Tell me who on this offense is a pro bowler? We are down to a practice squad QB with no starting RB or WR and an offensive line that has been suspect at best.  

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, GROOT said:

Yeah Tomlin just knew Hodges was the better QB ALL ALONG. 

No team thought enough Of Duck to sign him to the practice squad.

its alright to admit the Steelers coaching staff is doing a good job, really it’s okay 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

???   Sure except for QB, TE, WR, RB, 80% of the O line, 75-80% of the defense, punter, kicker,  etc.  Other than that, you're spot on.    :lmao:  

Everyone knew that James Washington, Benny Snell, and Duck Hodges were first team pro bowlers. 

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Laughing 1

It feels like this is the type of team Tomlin wants to coach, with a really good defense and a smart, efficient offense, rather than Ben's pass-happy offense that makes a lot of big players but also turns it over a bit too much at times. 

Edited by Ghost Rider

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

It feels like this is the type of team Tomlin wants to coach, with a really good offense and a smart, efficient offense, rather than Ben's pass-happy offense that makes a lot of big players but also turns it over a bit too much at times. 

Since when is this a really good offense?

Just now, Godsbrother said:

I think he meant to type really good defense and a smart efficient offense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

It feels like this is the type of team Tomlin wants to coach, with a really good offense and a smart, efficient offense, rather than Ben's pass-happy offense that makes a lot of big players but also turns it over a bit too much at times. 

Well this is the best defense he’s had since his super bowl win.  But it’s also his worst offense.  It’s a very mediocre team but the coaching staff has done a good job this year.

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Godsbrother said:

Obvious typo lol

Just now, Boone22 said:

I think he meant to type really good defense and a smart efficient offense. 

Correct. Darn it. :wall:

Just now, fred_1_15301 said:

Well this is the best defense he’s had since his super bowl win.  But it’s also his worst offense.  It’s a very mediocre team but the coaching staff has done a good job this year.

Yep, this is honestly the best coaching job I've seen him out of in Pittsburgh to date, that Week 1 debacle against NE notwithstanding. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Obvious typo lol

Sorry but I’m quite buzzed and didn’t pick up on that. Still I think fans should give a little credit to the coaching staff.  This team is not a super bowl contender but it is amazing that we are 7-5 and still in contention 

im enjoying for as long as it lasts 

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Man a lot of Steelers fans are delusional or something else.

Out of the starting OL the only one who isn't/ hasn't been a  pro-bowler is Matt Feiler.  The starting rb is Connor who had made the pro-bowl,. Same for Juju.  Oh no a TE and a 3rd string qb hasn't made the probowl. 

Heyward is a pro-bowler,  Javon Hargraves  should be,   Tyson A.   A Back up.  Oh no!

TJ. Watt A pro-bowler, Bud Dupree and D. Bush will make it this year.  Mark Barron not a pro-bowler.  Oh no!

DB Mika, Joe both pro-bowlers   Terrel Edmunds, Stevie Nelson both playing at probowl level. But not a pro-bowler.  Oh no! 

LOL you guys thinking this isn't a talented roster and we're devoid of talent.

Edited by bucksoh

This is a well coached team playing to it’s strengths somewhat out of nowhere.

We won so many battles against a more talented team.

Return game (so unexpected)

Turnovers and D in general.  Yup

QB pressure including the big one at the end.  

Big plays on offense. (Also unexpected)

Third down stops which are so much our nemesis.

That does not even count shutting down OBJ which is my next destination thread.

So yeah we have a chance.

8 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Texans winning tonight would be a good thing for the Steelers.

I don’t see why, although I’m happy the Patriots lost. Our best chance is a wildcard and the Texans are more likely to be in that battle than the Pats. It also opens the door for home field for the Ravens which I find difficult to cheer. Although it is marginally better than home field for NE, maybe?

1 hour ago, pecorino said:

I don’t see why, although I’m happy the Patriots lost. Our best chance is a wildcard and the Texans are more likely to be in that battle than the Pats. It also opens the door for home field for the Ravens which I find difficult to cheer. Although it is marginally better than home field for NE, maybe?

I’d much rather go to Baltimore, where the Steelers have plenty of experience visiting and winning, than have to face the Pats and the refs in Foxboro.

4 hours ago, bucksoh said:

Man a lot of Steelers fans are delusional or something else.

Out of the starting OL the only one who isn't/ hasn't been a  pro-bowler is Matt Feiler.  The starting rb is Connor who had made the pro-bowl,. Same for Juju.  Oh no a TE and a 3rd string qb hasn't made the probowl. 

Heyward is a pro-bowler,  Javon Hargraves  should be,   Tyson A.   A Back up.  Oh no!

TJ. Watt A pro-bowler, Bud Dupree and D. Bush will make it this year.  Mark Barron not a pro-bowler.  Oh no!

DB Mika, Joe both pro-bowlers   Terrel Edmunds, Stevie Nelson both playing at probowl level. But not a pro-bowler.  Oh no! 

LOL you guys thinking this isn't a talented roster and we're devoid of talent.

We are referring to the offense.  3rd string QB, Conner and JuJu haven’t played in weeks and Pouncey suspended.

Take away any team’s starting QB, RB, WR and pro bowl center and see if that makes an impact.  The coaching staff is doing a great job this season but for some fans it doesn’t seem to be enough. 

It may all come crashing down next week but for now I am enjoying the ride 

2 hours ago, pecorino said:

I want Houston to win division mainly because I think our WC tiebreaker fares better against titans than Houston.  But that situation will take care of itself since titans and Texans still play each other twice.  If we win 3 out of 4, I think we have a very good shot 

Edited by fred_1_15301

Sorry I dont measure "pro-bowls" as always great players.... i'd need to look if they were legit selections (I know Conner was) or if they were subs for guys that dropped out or were now playing in the super bowl :P

Even if we dont go deep I tie our finish to the value of the Fitz trade ... the lower the first the better :)

Edited by belljr

This isn't a talentless roster. Far from it. Especially on defense. It just happens to be missing the single most irreplaceable player on it.

The offense is performing poorly, even while the team wins. It's not like the coaching staff has magically made the offense respectable - it's 26th in rushing, 29th in passing, and 28th overall. They've won despite the offense, because there's simply no way to make it better. With Ben, this team would have been a legit Super Bowl contender.

The defense is where the improvement has come, and it's been drastic. They now have playmakers at every level. Not just the trade for Fitzpatrick, but the drafting of Bush and the emergence of Dupree have been massive too. 

The kudos I give to the coaching staff isn't about taking a crappy roster and making it better. They haven't done that. It's to the coaching staff for keeping everything positive and cohesive and to the front office for making the deal for Minkah and believing in what they have on defense, because while this team isn't a title contender, they're a legit playoff team because of the defense alone.

IMO, if they had made the switch at QB sooner and not stuck with Rudolph's turnovers, they may have an extra win. Rudolph has always looked overmatched in the pocket to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pecorino said:

I was just looking at tiebreaker scenarios between Pittsburgh, Houston and Tennessee for the final WC and it's definitely in our best interest for Houston to take care of Tennessee and win that division.  We would most likely beat Tennessee in a tiebreaker (due to better conference record).  Let's say Tennessee wins the division (which would likely only occur if they sweep Houston), we would be tied with Houston at 10-6 (assuming we win the next 3 weeks and lost at Baltimore in week 17).  They would actually win the tiebreaker in that scenario due to better record against common opponents.

Buuuuuuuttttt - this is just a fun, senseless exercise since there is a loooooooong way to go and the Steelers just need to take care of business one game at a time.