What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

So is JuJu out? Can someone with connections with the team ask Tomlin to make Diontae the main man in the offense this weekend? Since this idiot benched Crowder last I could use a big game from him 😉

Godsbrother said:
As you said, really small sample size for Duck (3 starts) and the defenses he's played haven't been very good.   Ben went 13-0 and beat some pretty darn good teams doing it (Patriots, Eagles,  Ravens,  Jets, Jags).  He also took the team to the conference championship in his rookie year. 

Let's see what Duck does the rest of the season (and hopefully postseason) before we start the comparisons to one of the best rookie QB performances of all time.
That's all fair, it just seemed like people forgot that Ben wasn't a huge passer early in his career. I'm not expecting Duck to have a similar career to Ben (we would be ridiculously lucky if he was 80% as good), just pointing out that his start is very promising. 

I think we have a decent shot against the Bills, and we have to avoid the let down game against a struggling Jets team.

Rumors out of Ravens camp is that if the #1 seed is locked up, RG3 will get the start, not Lamar. Hope they sit Ingram too. And Andrews. And Brown. 

Finatic said:
It's more likely to be Swift or Jonathan Taylor with your pick and I'm fine with that for a DB that gets 1-3 tackles a game
1-3 tackles per game? Wait, are we talking about Deion Sanders now?

Josh Allen is good but not great.  He's been sacked 33 times so I would think the Steelers defense should be able to bring pressure so it really comes down to how well Allen responds to that.   The Bills do have a good rushing game but the Steelers defense has been pretty good against the run. 

I think in some ways the Bills are similar to the Steelers.  I fully expect both teams to play it close to the vest with an occasional shot down the field.   I am thinking this is going to be one of those games where a late turnover could decide the game.

Playing at home on prime time certainly doesn't hurt either.
IMO, if one of the teams gets up by 10+ early, the other team will be in a lot of trouble. It should be a great defensive battle. It likely comes down to which QB turns the ball over on their own side of the field.

If it were neutral ground or in Buffalo, I’d give the slight edge to the Bills. Sunday night in Pittsburgh, I think the Steelers likely come away with a win in a close low scoring game thanks to Allen fumbling or throwing up a ball under pressure that gets picked and gives the Steelers great field position.

It is funny that he was trolling us but honestly he was actually doing it in a pretty civil fashion.  I didn't have a problem with him.   :shrug:    And he's a Dolphins fan so you got to give the poor sap a little bit of a break.
Thanks Fred. I'm not trolling you guys at all. I'm a die-hard Bucco and Pen's fan from Lancaster, PA. I grew up watching the Phins with my Dad in the 70's so I always rooted for them. I just think the Steeler's fan base wants Minka to be Troy 2 and he isn't at the level, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're fine with it too.  
I agree that depending on what we get with your pick it's a win-win for both teams. I think it's obvious that our teams are heading in different directions.

At least we hired a competent HC finally. Flores looks like a winner for us after years of frustration after Shula.

Best of luck to you guys the rest of the year.

Fin

Hope the Steelers don't just let Suggs pass through waivers. It would be super weird if he called their bluff and came into play though.

So, Samuels arrived last year amid speculation that he'd be a hybrid RB/TE. With Vance iffy, what's the chances we see Samuels getting significant plays at TE? If Conner can go, it takes pressure off the RB position, giving some flexibility.

So we all ripped apart Butler last year but suddenly he looks like a genius (now that he has talent all over the place).  Go figure.   :shrug:  

if the Steelers win tonight are they in?
If we lose tonight, we just have to beat the Jets next week and hope that the Titans lose to the Saints or the Texans in the last 2 weeks.  Thus, even with a loss tonight, I think our chances are decent (unless we lay an egg next week).  

ETA - With a win tonight, we could lay an egg against the Jets and still be in as long as the Titans lose one of their last 2 games.

Still a good shot to make the playoffs but there is no way this team is going anywhere.  The combo of duck/Mason makes Trent Dilpher look like Joe Montana.

no way anyone seriously thought they could go far in the playoffs if they made it
Exactly.  As I've been saying for weeks, Hodges isn't a good QB.  He's just better than Mason Rudolph.  Low bar.  They still may well make one of the WC spots, but it'll be a quick exit.

Duck ran into his first legit defense tonight, and performed about how I expected.  What I didn't expect was the lack off blitz on certain downs/situations that allowed the Bills to capitalize more than they should have.  4th and 7 against a QB with accuracy/progression read issues and you don't blitz?  Wasn't the only time in the game they eschewed rushing Allen with at least 5 in obvious passing situations and paid for it.

Anyway, on to the Jets.

no way anyone seriously thought they could go far in the playoffs if they made it
Trent Dilfer wasn’t on the Ravens roster to start the season. They need that kind of competence for the offense. It’s time to give Paxton Lynch a chance or bring in some other vet off the street. Rudolph or Hodges can’t get them there but someone, anyone that offers any sort of offensive upside can be enough for the defense to thrive. Unlikely, yes but this D is incredible and we aren’t appreciating it enough because the offense has been beyond abysmal.

It’s not pretty but we should maybe be kicking the tires here on one of these guys:

Sam Bradford

Matt Cassel

Jay Cutler

EJ Manual

Brock Osweiler

Long shot:

Johnny Manziel

Colin Kaepernick

I’m tired of hearing Rudolph or Hodges are “enough”. They’re not. They’ve barely scored offensively this last six or so weeks. That position needs any sort of TD threat.

Damn fine idea Iceman.

What vet and team could have a "mutual parting of the ways" and be useful?
Well Ryan Fitzpatrick would have been perfect to trade for at one point but that’s done now. I just don’t see anyone significant getting cut this late. Josh McCown and Andy Dalton would have been useful too. They just need anyone to provide an offensive spark. This defense has shown they can handle turnovers from the offense but they need to be getting TD’s to balance that out.

I was looking more at QBs that teams might not want to pay next year. Thus release. 

Like a Tyrod Taylor. Brian Hoyer. Matt Schaub. 

What happened?  i thought the Duck was going to take us to the promised land?

:rolleyes:
I don't fault fans for getting excited but the comparisons to Ben were silly.   This team will go as far as the defense can take them which isn't very BUT they're still in the hunt. Unfortunately they'll likely have to win out, on the road, to make the playoffs.

I don't fault fans for getting excited but the comparisons to Ben were silly.   This team will go as far as the defense can take them which isn't very BUT they're still in the hunt. Unfortunately they'll likely have to win out, on the road, to make the playoffs.
That’s not true.  Win against the Jets or Ravens and just need Titans to lose against either the Saints or Texans.  Steelers are very much the favorite to get the 6 seed unless they lay a clunker next week.  With that said, I’m not completely confident in any game at this point.

I don’t hate the Duck but I think it’s time we stop the comparisons to Ben 
Yup. The magic bubble has burst. He has this tendency to spin away when throwing under pressure, and not get any zip on the ball because he's not stepping into it. That and poor decision making resulted in the interceptions.

Although, I don't really care about the first interception because it basically equaled a punt. The pick, defensive stop, and another pick was just heartbreaking. Also, Diontae has a bad habit of giving up on plays. The ball thrown behind him that was picked, he barely reached back for it and let White get it easy. I think that Washington would have fought to break up that pass. Hopefully Johnson puts more effort in moving forward, and finds a way to stop fumbling every other catch. 

That’s not true.  Win against the Jets or Ravens and just need Titans to lose against either the Saints or Texans.  Steelers are very much the favorite to get the 6 seed unless they lay a clunker next week.  With that said, I’m not completely confident in any game at this point.
Not true, if we only beat the Jets, we need the Titans to lose to the Saints AND Texans (according to ESPN Playoff Machine). But, if we win out, we're in. So let's just do that. 

One thing is for sure.  When Ben comes back next year, who knows how good he will be, going into the final stages of his career after a surgery that required him to miss a year.  I do not think his two backups are the answer.  If he gets hurt again, they need someone who can win games with their arm.  There are a few QB's out there that I would want to do that over the two guys we have now.

According to ESPN's playoff machine we need the Titans to lose against the Texans, otherwise we need to win out.  If the Steelers go 9-7 and the Titans lose this week against the Saints but win the Texans game we will lose the tie breaker and miss the playoffs.

One thing is for sure.  When Ben comes back next year, who knows how good he will be, going into the final stages of his career after a surgery that required him to miss a year.  I do not think his two backups are the answer.  If he gets hurt again, they need someone who can win games with their arm.  There are a few QB's out there that I would want to do that over the two guys we have now.
I don't either but both are very young and I think okay if you need a start here or there.   Very few teams have a backup QB that can adequately fill in for the starter long term  The question for this team is can Ben come back and be as good as he was before the surgery.

I plan on playing again,” Roethlisberger said. “That’s my absolute goal.

“I want to go out on my own terms. No one wants to leave on an injury they can’t control.”

Roethlisberger wouldn’t discuss the specifics of his surgery, performed by Dr. Neal ElAttrache, a Mount Pleasant native and close friend of Steelers orthopedic surgeon Dr. Jim Bradley. “That’s the one thing I don’t think I can tell you at this point.” But Roethlisberger did say he is planning on being back at 100 percent for the team’s OTAs in May, minicamp in June and the start of training camp in July. That means he didn’t have dreaded Tommy John surgery, which normally takes a year or more for full recovery.

“It’s going to be up to the doctors and how [the elbow] responds,” Roethlisberger said. “But I’m very optimistic.”

...The elbow injury was the first major injury of Roethlisberger’s Hall of Fame-caliber career. There never is a good time for a player to get hurt, but the timing for him early this season seemed especially rough.
Ben 'should'  be back but he will be 38 and will be coming off his first major injury.

Not looking like Mason or the Duck are projecting to take over and no 1st round pick since 1968.

According to ESPN's playoff machine we need the Titans to lose against the Texans, otherwise we need to win out.  If the Steelers go 9-7 and the Titans lose this week against the Saints but win the Texans game we will lose the tie breaker and miss the playoffs.
Ugh I thought we had the tiebreaker.  Guess not.

A few plays that really struck me as very poor calls by the OC.

Connor ran the wildcat for the first time in practice last week.  So  they put him in at the 10 yd line to run it ???   

Less than 2 minutes left in the 3rd, up 10-7 , first down at the Buffalo 43.   They pass on first down and its about a 15 -18 yard out route which requires a lot of arm strength which Hodges doesn't have and it's a very easy int for Buffalo.  

The next series Hodges threw three straight passes - all incomplete.

A few plays that really struck me as very poor calls by the OC.

Connor ran the wildcat for the first time in practice last week.  So  they put him in at the 10 yd line to run it ???   

Less than 2 minutes left in the 3rd, up 10-7 , first down at the Buffalo 43.   They pass on first down and its about a 15 -18 yard out route which requires a lot of arm strength which Hodges doesn't have and it's a very easy int for Buffalo.  

The next series Hodges threw three straight passes - all incomplete.
This one I definitely agree with (being a poor decision)

Ben looks like he is about 295 pounds right now and has not thrown a football yet.  I would be hedging bets.

Either way the D is good enough to win almost any game.  We only need a bit more offensive punch - something like a good TE and FB and an RB that can stay healthy.  You are not going to be able to get everything.

Washington gets open and is improving - Diontae is good but still playing in college mode.  He needs to protect the ball better and finish plays.

Not a great game, to be sure.

And I don't think any rational fan thought this team was going to make any noise in the playoffs.  The plan, all along, is to hopefully make the playoffs, give young players some good experience, and build on it next year.  

That said, I thought the OC lost this game for us.  We could have won.  Still have a decent shot with the Jets and Ravens (if they're resting).

And the Titans have two very tough games left.

Yeah, the gadget crap needs to stop regardless of personnel.  They aren't good at it.  Has that worked this year a single time?
They crushed the Bengals with it in week 3.  I'm not saying they should stick with it or anything, just saying that it did work earlier in the year.

Users who are viewing this thread