What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Not a great game, to be sure.

And I don't think any rational fan thought this team was going to make any noise in the playoffs.  The plan, all along, is to hopefully make the playoffs, give young players some good experience, and build on it next year.  

That said, I thought the OC lost this game for us.  We could have won.  Still have a decent shot with the Jets and Ravens (if they're resting).

And the Titans have two very tough games left.
Agreed 100%.

As a Ravens fan, I was very impressed with the Buffalo defense, especially watching them back-to-back with the 49ers defense. They're not on that level, primarily because their front 4 isn't as physically gifted, but scheme and discipline wise, they're comparable. And I'm similarly impressed with Pittsburgh's D. 

On the other hand, the Buffalo offense is very weak. I think you can attribute a lot of Allen's recent improvement to his lousy competition. He didn't threaten the Ravens all day - and they kept him in the pocket where he was a sitting duck. I honestly think this Sunday Night game could be something like 13-10, with whichever team avoids turnovers coming out on top. I just don't see how either team scores as many as 20 points.
I thought this was a tough matchup for the Steelers, just because I believed in Buffalo's ability to shut the Steelers' offense down and eke out a win without scoring much.

On the other hand, I feel like the Chiefs could actually be a decent matchup for Pittsburgh. The Steelers D is so good that it could hold KC to 24 points or fewer, and I think they'd actually have a chance to score close to that much vs the Chiefs' mediocre D. 

The Steelers seem to have forgotten that plays 10-20 yards in distance exist. They either throw a deep ball (which I usually appreciate) or they dump off 10 yards or less (like 80% of the time). Every defense we face knows this, so they've stopped bothering with covering deep and they just sit on the routes, if they would just come out and throw 2-4 passes in the intermediate length right off the bat that could really open up the running game by forcing players back, and could open up the short passing game by keeping the D honest. 

Fichtner is not a good OC and they need to move on, I just doubt they do after the season, even though the Steelers are DEAD LAST in the Red Zone. 

With this D, if we just had a pretty good O, we'd be dominating. 

I thought this was a tough matchup for the Steelers, just because I believed in Buffalo's ability to shut the Steelers' offense down and eke out a win without scoring much.

On the other hand, I feel like the Chiefs could actually be a decent matchup for Pittsburgh. The Steelers D is so good that it could hold KC to 24 points or fewer, and I think they'd actually have a chance to score close to that much vs the Chiefs' mediocre D. 
The Chiefs D has actually been playing very well for over a month now.  You may say it’s the competition they’ve faced but this Steelers offense would classify as some pretty easy competition.  Steelers would need to hold them to 10 or less which is not realistic.  I hate that matchup.  Would rather face the Pats. But I’ll take a playoff game.

So I think - if Pittsburgh beats the jets.  As long as Tennessee lose to Houston again week 17 Pittsburgh is in

So I think - if Pittsburgh beats the jets.  As long as Tennessee lose to Houston again week 17 Pittsburgh is in
Yes this is true.  If we win out we're in, if we beat the Jets but lose to the Ravens then we'll need Tennessee to lose to Houston.  The good news is that game will be in Houston and depending on what the Chiefs do next week the #3 seed could be at stake. 

As weird as it seems the Steelers could still make it even if we lose out, provided the Titans lose out as well and the Colts lose any of their remaining games.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers waive Tevin Jones, promote Amara Darboh from practice squad. I liked his talent coming out in 2017, and he was a 3rd round pick by the Seahawks. There's talent there, but will the Steelers be able to harness it?

A lineup of James Washington, Diontae Johnson, Deon Cain, and Amara Darboh is pretty great if this was a college team, hopefully they can somehow mesh and become NFL playmakers while Juju remains hurt. 

Juju and Vance were full participants in practice. This is great news for our passing game. Hopefully now that Washington and Diontae are doing something, and with Juju back, maybe defenses stack the box a tiny bit less. Or they leave Juju 1 on 1 and allow him to take advantage. 

We should be able to beat the Jets, but we obviously can't take any games for granted. 

Kam Kelly arrested for "Terroristic threats" and apparently was repeatedly punched in the face by a cop. Not a great look. He was a contributor, especially on special teams, but I don't think he will be too hard to replace. 

Kam Kelly arrested for "Terroristic threats" and apparently was repeatedly punched in the face by a cop. Not a great look. He was a contributor, especially on special teams, but I don't think he will be too hard to replace. 
Court documents say cops were called to Mario’s because Kelly was “disorderly” & threatened an employee after his song request was skipped.
Police say Kelly refused to leave, resisted arrest and told a cop “I promise to God I’ll (expletive) you up boy”@WPXI

Kelly first allegedly threatened to knock out an employee for the skipped song then became confrontational with an officer outside. While outside, the officer stepped on the foot of a woman with Kelly, who he identified as "his girl." Then, Kelly threatened the officer and resisted arrest, leading to an argument that resulted in an officer punching Kelly in the face multiple times. Kelly was first taken to a local hospital and treated for a busted lip before being transported to the Allegheny County Jail.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/12/20/steelers-safety-kameron-kelly-kam-arrested-arrest-terroristic-threats-hh/

JoeSteeler said:
Court documents say cops were called to Mario’s because Kelly was “disorderly” & threatened an employee after his song request was skipped.
Police say Kelly refused to leave, resisted arrest and told a cop “I promise to God I’ll (expletive) you up boy”@WPXI

Kelly first allegedly threatened to knock out an employee for the skipped song then became confrontational with an officer outside. While outside, the officer stepped on the foot of a woman with Kelly, who he identified as "his girl." Then, Kelly threatened the officer and resisted arrest, leading to an argument that resulted in an officer punching Kelly in the face multiple times. Kelly was first taken to a local hospital and treated for a busted lip before being transported to the Allegheny County Jail.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/12/20/steelers-safety-kameron-kelly-kam-arrested-arrest-terroristic-threats-hh/
Dam, just seems like NFL players nightclubs and bars do not mix well.

What's at stake tomorrow is a chance to control our own destiny. 

With a win tomorrow, we're in with EITHER a week 17 win at Baltimore or a Tennessee loss at Houston. 

With a loss tomorrow, we can only get in with a win over Baltimore AND a Tennessee loss to Houston in week 17. 

Both scenarios appear to be the case whether or not Tennessee wins tomorrow so that game with New Orleans is effectively meaningless in terms of our playoff chances. There are scenarios that enable another team to sneak in, but if both we and TN lose our last two, the Titans would get in anyway, so those remote scenarios are inconsequential to us. 

Next will be to see if Baltimore and KC win this weekend. If the Texans hold on here, they clinch the division but can still move up to the 3 seed if they beat TN next week and KC loses one of their next 2. There's probably an outside chance at a bye depending on what NE/BUF do as well, so they may play week 17. If the Ravens beat Cleveland, they clinch home field and will have nothing to play for week 17.
Need Houston to lose this one so week 17 means something for them

So far things haven’t beEn breaking the way the Steelers wanted them to.  Tomorrow is a must-win and need the Saints to beat Tennessee.

it would also be nice for the Ravens to beat the Browns and clinch HFA

So far things haven’t beEn breaking the way the Steelers wanted them to.  Tomorrow is a must-win and need the Saints to beat Tennessee.

it would also be nice for the Ravens to beat the Browns and clinch HFA
Don't count on the saints, they are on the road at Tennessee. If they aren't in their dome, they suck. Just remember,  the saints lost to the horrible Falcons. ...at home. The NFC is pathetic this year 

As mentioned above, the Titans/Saints game is effectively irrelevant. Win the last two and we're in. Lose to the Jets and we need a win and a TEN loss in week 17. 
The Titans are in if they beat the Texans and Steelers lose either of their two games. 

Steelers fans should be rooting for the Bears to beat the Chiefs and Ravens to beat the Browns. That would make week 17 irrelevant to the Ravens and important for the Texans.

The Ravens can’t bench their whole team and I would imagine that even their backup QB is better than Duck/Rudolph.  I don’t think the Steelers win that game.  8-8 sounds about right for a team with a great defense and a horrific offense.

The Titans just played one of the best teams in football very tough.  The Steelers just lost on the road to the Jets in pretty much a must win game.  I really hope things work out next week and the Steelers make it but for any non-Steelers fan, it would be more entertaining for the Titans to make it.     :shrug:    It's still commendable what the Steelers have done with all of the significant injuries though.

Do you still feel this way?  I don't think this Steelers offense could even score a point against the Chiefs D.   The Steelers offense is that bad and the Chiefs defense is playing great.  I feel like the Steelers would have about a 15% shot at beating the Pats and maybe a 1% shot at beating the Chiefs.   :shrug:    It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Chiefs are the AFC's representative in the Super Bowl this year.

Too bad we didn’t draft Lamar Jackson over Edmunds as rumored. Kaepernick would have had us in the playoffs already I bet too ....
It seems like almost every big play we give up, it's because Edmunds is late to the party. For the Robby TD he appeared to be responsible for anything over the top, and he was just several steps late diagnosing it. We have a lot of holes to fill next year, but I hope we take a stab at safety because I don't think he's the answer. 

This team seemed like they were actually going to do it, even with a terrible offense, but without defensive scores the offense is too bad to actually beat other teams. Is there any chance the Steelers actually move on from Randy? He is so freaking awful, but I just don't think we move on because there are enough excuses he can make about the backup QBs and their rotating in and out. 

Randy? He is so freaking awful,
Didn't he improve the Steelers red zone offense dramatically in 2018 from Todd Haley in 2017?  Either way, I doubt the Steelers move on from him this off season - I think they will think it's better to keep turnover to a minimum since Ben (theoretically) has only 2 years left.  No need to make him learn an new scheme or whatever.

Didn't he improve the Steelers red zone offense dramatically in 2018 from Todd Haley in 2017?  Either way, I doubt the Steelers move on from him this off season - I think they will think it's better to keep turnover to a minimum since Ben (theoretically) has only 2 years left.  No need to make him learn an new scheme or whatever.
FWIW I don't think anyone can point fingers at a coaching staff that is working with rookie WRs and second and third string QBs/RBs and claim it is their fault that a Duck turns the ball over or that a Pro Bowl center's snaps are off the mark.  Look what they have to work with.

Excellent point about keeping the coaching staff/scheme intact for when Ben gets back.

bananafish said:
At this point I'd prefer neither of these to happen. I guess there's a case to be made for some of the young guys getting playoff experience, but maybe we'd all be better off without the scarring from another embarrassment and having marginally better draft position. 
I’m not concerned about the marginal difference in draft position (especially considering they don’t even have the first round pick).  The playoff experience and general excitement for the fan base is worth far more IMO.

Take this for what it is worth if anything --   Report: Mortensen Hearing Roethlisberger ‘Has Some Doubt’ He’ll Ever Play Again

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/12/report-mortensen-hearing-roethlisberger-has-some-doubt-hell-ever-play-again/
His elbow could have his arm weakened. He is way out of shape and it could be a real issue getting back to where he needs to be. 

Looks like we may see Paxton Lynch Sunday ....

I don’t think Rudolph is a lost cause, but clearly he wasn’t ready for this season ....

Wouldn't shock me if the Steelers make a run at Mariotta or Dalton this off season..

That said, The D is fine, but the Offense needs parts rebuilt. Foster and Villanueva are just awful. The run game will need a new back as Conner is not a guy you can rely on, and the WR core may still need some help with a vet to help these young WR develop. 

Merry Christmas, Yinzers.

This game is gonna be like a 4th preseason game with all of the guys not playing. Here's hoping for no more injuries on either side.

Stillers 15, Ravens 11

Bracie Smathers said:
FWIW I don't think anyone can point fingers at a coaching staff that is working with rookie WRs and second and third string QBs/RBs and claim it is their fault that a Duck turns the ball over or that a Pro Bowl center's snaps are off the mark.  Look what they have to work with.

Excellent point about keeping the coaching staff/scheme intact for when Ben gets back.
Juju and Conner have also both been hurt.

PennStater77 said:
Wouldn't shock me if the Steelers make a run at Mariotta or Dalton this off season..

That said, The D is fine, but the Offense needs parts rebuilt. Foster and Villanueva are just awful. The run game will need a new back as Conner is not a guy you can rely on, and the WR core may still need some help with a vet to help these young WR develop. 
If Ben can't make it back, Dalton might be worth bringing in. Mariota is terrible and can't stay healthy. 

Tannehill? Eli? Rivers? Brissett? Bridgewater?
Teddy would be the most interesting to me out of that group. He's still just 27, and can make the necessary reads/throws most of the time. I liked Brisset when he came out, and he looks like a useful NFL quarterback these past couple of years, so he wouldn't be terrible to be on the radar as a short-term option.  Both have an AYA that's a touch lower than I'd prefer to see, but Bridgewater's has usually been at least "average" when he's been given a chance to start.

I want no part of Eli/Rivers/Tannehill (unless we're talking about Mrs. Tannehill, then sure....suit her up).  The first two are well into their twilight, and the third is still probably a better WR than he is a QB.  His 2019 smacks of "outlier" coming at the age of 31.

Incidentally, convincing a guy like Teddy to come on as a #2, even if Ben came back for one last hurrah, would be massive...but convincing those types to do that would be really tough.  If the Steelers had even a Leftwichian level backup this season they'd have probably locked up a playoff spot two weeks ago.  I'm sure Bridgewater wants to start again though, and there are teams that he can step in and do that for in 2020, not 2022.   It'd be a giant score though, with this defense, to have better than a JV level backup for the most important position on the team.

As far Teddy goes though, I've seen reports that he wants to stay a Saint even if it means being a backup. So, if he wanted to wait out a future HOFer's retirement, he's likely only going to do it behind Brees. Otherwise, why leave?

As far Teddy goes though, I've seen reports that he wants to stay a Saint even if it means being a backup. So, if he wanted to wait out a future HOFer's retirement, he's likely only going to do it behind Brees. Otherwise, why leave?
This is my take on Bridgewater as well.  Why would he leave the Saints for the Steelers when the situations (from his perspective) are exactly the same?

Users who are viewing this thread