What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

That was a terrible call to go for the fg. 

What is worse is Moncrief getting all of these snaps over Washington and Johnson. Gos I wish they signed Jon brown instead. Ugh. 

Tomlin needs to go.

This isn't a discussion anymore.  They may be 4-1 in a month and it doesn't matter, he is a very bad game day coach.
"For all of you who want to fire Tomlin, who would you replace him with?"   We will hear this every single year for the next 10 years.   :lol:  

Basically the exact outcome I expected, save I didn't necessarily see them giving up over 30.   Oh well.  The Patriots have been taking up residence inside this organization's head for a very long time.  Tomlin, Cowher, doesn't matter.  It's systemic; they insist on continuing to try the same old ish while expecting alternate results.

If they played 10 times each year, the Patriots would probably win 8-9 of those games annually.  Whatever it is that the Steelers think they have to offer on defense to attempt to beat New England, Hobo Hoodie has had the counter for it since what feels like 1946.  I don't even get that upset about it at this point.  It just is.

On to Seattle.

The only way they make the Super Bowl with the current construction is if they don’t play the Pats in the playoffs. I still think they can beat every other team including KC. I just don’t understand why they do the same ####### thing every game against the Pats. Put Brady’s ### on the ground whatever the cost.

The only way they make the Super Bowl with the current construction is if they don’t play the Pats in the playoffs. I still think they can beat every other team including KC. I just don’t understand why they do the same ####### thing every game against the Pats. Put Brady’s ### on the ground whatever the cost.
Whoa!  Pats or not - that did not look like a Super Bowl team.  They have a lot of work to do.

Whoa!  Pats or not - that did not look like a Super Bowl team.  They have a lot of work to do.
You guys shift like the wind. I’ve seen it every year for the last decade. It’s still the same talent assembled that everyone was coo’ing over preseason week 3. They play the Patriots like this what seems like every season. 

I do have one question for everyone though: why try to make Ryan Switzer a thing? The Scott Linehan Cowboys and last years Raiders already figured out he has no place in an offense why is he their slot? Get him out of there. Slide Juju into the slot and get Washington with Moncrief on the outside. 

Switzer looks out of place. Should have kept Holton or Spencer originally and not risk Skipper. 

Where was the running game???  We give up on it too fast when down. 

Usually in lopsided games like this I say "the team that won isn't as good as the score indicated and the team that lost isn't as bad".    In this case the team that won IS that good (and getting better) and I HOPE the team that lost isn't that bad.

Aye caramba what a beat down.

Its the first game and typically the first week of NFL action has anomalies.

The major outlier was Ju-Ju being handled with single coverage by the Pats shut-down corner.  That isn't going to happen on a weekly basis and the running game will get untracked.  

The injuries don't seem long-term but you won't know about that defense until they get a chance to get that rookie LB more seasoned.  He seemed to struggle a bit in coverage early on.  

Most NFL teams don't know who they are for at least the first five games but that is what I saw.

Its the first game and typically the first week of NFL action has anomalies.

The major outlier was Ju-Ju being handled with single coverage by the Pats shut-down corner.  That isn't going to happen on a weekly basis and the running game will get untracked.  

The injuries don't seem long-term but you won't know about that defense until they get a chance to get that rookie LB more seasoned.  He seemed to struggle a bit in coverage early on.  

Most NFL teams don't know who they are for at least the first five games but that is what I saw.
This is absolutely true, especially given how little time starters play in preseason now.

This is absolutely true, especially given how little time starters play in preseason now.
Belichick said that a long time ago and it stuck with me.

Also former Dolphin MLB Zach Thomas said that defensive 'fits' are tighter earlier in the season but as 'minor' injuries begin to take their toll offenses begin to exploit larger gaps.  It takes a few weeks for things to even-out and see what you really have, especially on defense.

You guys shift like the wind. I’ve seen it every year for the last decade. It’s still the same talent assembled that everyone was coo’ing over preseason week 3. They play the Patriots like this what seems like every season. 

I do have one question for everyone though: why try to make Ryan Switzer a thing? The Scott Linehan Cowboys and last years Raiders already figured out he has no place in an offense why is he their slot? Get him out of there. Slide Juju into the slot and get Washington with Moncrief on the outside. 
Shifting like the wind?  You watched that game and came away thinking they might be better than every other team in the AFC?  The Pats could legit go undefeated this year.  Their defense has become a juggernaut.  But the Steelers continually show that they can rarely adjust.  With this coaching staff, they’re not going to beat the cream of the crop in the AFC.  

Realistic fans don't have the Steelers winning more than 10 games this year.  Hell most people don't have them winning the division and going for a wild card.   

Anybody that thought the Steelers were in the class of the Pats or Chiefs are either delusional or stuck in a 1970's time warp. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifting like the wind?  You watched that game and came away thinking they might be better than every other team in the AFC?  The Pats could legit go undefeated this year.  Their defense has become a juggernaut.  But the Steelers continually show that they can rarely adjust.  With this coaching staff, they’re not going to beat the cream of the crop in the AFC.  

Realistic fans don't have the Steelers winning more than 10 games this year.  Hell most people don't have them winning the division and going for a wild card.   

Anybody that thought the Steelers were in the class of the Pats or Chiefs are either delusional or stuck in a 1970's time warp. 
Wait, wait, wait... you guys watched Cleveland and Cincy yesterday right? There are no conclusions to be drawn from this weekend. Everyone in this thread said the season was over week 1 last year. Yes, this team has a Super Bowl caliber roster. 3/4’s of the league is figuring out what they are at this point. This team has a franchise QB, a stud OLine and a stud DLine.... they’ll be fine. That’s a recipe to win a division year in, year out. There are going to be bad games and hiccups. They walked into NE last night trying to get the #### out of NE as quickly as possible. Was it ####ty? Ya, obviously. 

Side note: James Washington lead the league in aDot and Air Yards this weekend. He’s the guy they need to get going in the offense from the start, not ####### Ryan Switzer. 

The titans aren't the Pats, but those first couple drives made me feel like we won't embarrass ourselves week 1. I don't think a win is likely though in Foxborough with BB having all offseason to prepare. 
Well I was wrong. We embarrassed ourselves. The Steelers played like dog sh**. Our offense had maybe 3 decent drives. One sputtered because we ran the same running play 3 times in a row, another ended with a field goal when we were down by 3 touchdowns, so we were still down by 3 scores with not much time left. 

It looked like we took almost no risks, and when we did take risks it was just Big Ben launching the ball down field 1-2 yards out of reach from James Washington, or directly into the arms of the safety. Our O-line is supposed to be awesome, but on almost every down where we needed 1 yard for a first down we passed the ball and Moncrief dropped it. Without AB we need Juju to fill the AB role and for someone to step up at the WR2 position. It's clear that Ben wants it to be Moncrief, but he couldn't catch a cold yesterday. I'm not sure if we need to move on and try to have Diontae Johnson fill that role, or if Moncrief can turn it around.

I didn't think our defense looked terrible except on 2-3 plays where they just bashed the Pats receivers hoping to get them to the ground, only for them to bounce off and keep running. How about some real tackling? Also, we got almost 0 pressure on Brady. The only way to beat the Pats is to fluster Brady and the few times we did get pressure he was forced to throw it away. Mark Barron and Devin Bush played pretty well, but didn't show quite enough speed to stop James White or Burkhead. 

Overall, it looked like a team just going through the motions to me. We were outcoached and outplayed in every way and I don't think we can beat the Pats this year if Brady stays healthy. If we have a shot of going far in the playoffs we'll need another team to take them down. 

That said, I don't think our team is as bad as it looked yesterday (and I don't think the Ravens are as good as they looked). I think the Steelers still have a very solid shot of winning the AFC North, and we just need to make the playoffs to have the opportunity to make some noise. 

On to Seattle. 

That said, I don't think our team is as bad as it looked yesterday (and I don't think the Ravens are as good as they looked). I think the Steelers still have a very solid shot of winning the AFC North, and we just need to make the playoffs to have the opportunity to make some noise.
This. It’s ####ty to watch as a fan but they wanted no part of the Pats last night. Horrible game plan, Ben played like he has on the road his whole career and Tomlin acted like a timid #####. Home opener next weekend. Dial me up if they roll over to Seattle.

Also, I hate the f***ing 1-yard passes on 3rd and 10, please at least try to get a 1st. Geez
I prefer a safe 1 yard pass on 3rd and 10 then trying to go for 10 yards on a 3rd and 1 play.  Seriously all I heard was how great our line is and yet we have to be fancy  for one or two yards.

Like groundhog day,  we all say & hear these exact things over and over again year after year after year. How does the front office continue to let this go on?

Wait, wait, wait... you guys watched Cleveland and Cincy yesterday right? There are no conclusions to be drawn from this weekend. Everyone in this thread said the season was over week 1 last year. Yes, this team has a Super Bowl caliber roster. 3/4’s of the league is figuring out what they are at this point. This team has a franchise QB, a stud OLine and a stud DLine.... they’ll be fine. That’s a recipe to win a division year in, year out. There are going to be bad games and hiccups. They walked into NE last night trying to get the #### out of NE as quickly as possible. Was it ####ty? Ya, obviously. 

Side note: James Washington lead the league in aDot and Air Yards this weekend. He’s the guy they need to get going in the offense from the start, not ####### Ryan Switzer. 
I hope you’re right man.  I think there are a lot of question marks still and those were fully exposed by a great team.  Ben is a franchise QB but he’s getting up there in age and how much does he have left physically and mentally (by this I mean is his heart in it)?  They should have great lines but question marks everywhere else on defense.  I love Conner and think he will be fine but no clue about this receiving core.  Montcreif was a monumental bust last night and what other talent do they have outside of Juju?  We don’t even know if Boswell still has the yips.  On to Seattle where I think we will have a pretty good sense of who this team is.  No consolation prizes - they better win that game.

As usual, the running game gets abandoned, and when they did run, the play calling was horrific.  The play calling was horrific from start to finish.  That blame lies with Tomlin.  To have a chance of beating the Pats, you need to run and control the clock.  This loss lies solely on Tomlin's shoulders.  I used to be a supporter of his, but I just can't anymore.  When an NFL team hires someone to be an "instant replay adviser", something is amiss.

The Pats for sure.  They are and have been in a class by themselves for decades.   

The Chiefs look to be a very good team but they haven't been to a Super Bowl since the 60s.  Talk to me when the get to one, let alone win one.

Reasonable changes that can be made(but will they?), sit Moncrief and Switzer, get Washington and D Johnson in there, they got juice.  Use Vance McDonald.  Hope Sean Davis can come back sooner than later.   Address play calling on both sides of the ball.   Seattle doesnt offer the same weapons, Russ is a great QB, but no Brady.   Crowd will be quick to boo if they start slow vs Seattle.   Ben needs to clear his head and starting slinging down field, not 2-3 yard passes to Swizter.

Its one team and 31 others trying to pretend they have a shot.   They dont.  Barring AB being kryptonite to Superman Tom, or massive injuries, Pats arent losing when it really counts, January/February.   Steelers were 2nd place in the AFC to Patriots, not now.   But they can still win the division, its not exactly murderers row.

Hope Sean Davis can come back sooner than later.
This should not be discounted.  The Patriots pretty much made his replacement their kitty, when he wasn't running the wrong way in coverage.*

(*Not that Davis make it a different outcome, necessarily.)

As usual, the running game gets abandoned, and when they did run, the play calling was horrific.  The play calling was horrific from start to finish.  That blame lies with Tomlin.  To have a chance of beating the Pats, you need to run and control the clock.  This loss lies solely on Tomlin's shoulders.  I used to be a supporter of his, but I just can't anymore.  When an NFL team hires someone to be an "instant replay adviser", something is amiss.
as a Pats fan, I was dumbfounded by this as well. Doesn't PIT have elite middle O-line?

Could probably count on one hand how many times they ran up the middle.

And the few times they did run, they kept trying to run around the ends. 

Very talented team for the last decade but coaching and playcalling holding them back. Must be so frustrating for both the players (Ben) and the fans.

Tomlin just can't get it that you cannot play a zone against Brady. How can he be this dumb? Anyone running a crossing route is always wide open. How many years has Brady done this to them? A decade now?

Tomlin just can't get it that you cannot play a zone against Brady. How can he be this dumb? Anyone running a crossing route is always wide open. How many years has Brady done this to them? A decade now?
Game plan and execution sucked last night but to be fair the Steelers have played the Pats tough at home the past 2 years.

I don't think I understand how you're seeing Switzer as the problem and Moncrief as part of the solution.     :confused:

Yes, but James Washington looked the part. Time to give him a chance. Especially if it turns out JuJu has the dreaded.
2 long deep balls would have been TDs if Washington wasn't overthrown by a yard or two. Still hopeful this connection firms up, but it seems like Ben and James still aren't on the same page. 

What 2020 picks do the Steelers have now after the trades? I know we traded Hawkins and Dobbs recently, but not sure what picks we already had/gave away. 

Steelers CB Joe Haden suffered a sprained AC joint in last night's loss to the New England Patriots.  No word yet on the severity of the injury or how long it will sideline Haden, if at all.

What 2020 picks do the Steelers have now after the trades? I know we traded Hawkins and Dobbs recently, but not sure what picks we already had/gave away. 
Right now for the 2020 draft the Steelers have their #1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and Jacksonville's 5th.   

Their 3rd round pick in 2020 was part of the the Devin Bush trade.

Hawkins was traded for a 6th round pick in the 2019 draft.

moondog said:
Giants claimed Skipper off waivers.   I think the Steelers made a very poor decision waiving him.  
Yep. Whole week of bad decisions. Why did we need a 6th wr last night?  Why did we care if we lost him to the raiders?

Skipper looked legit. I assume giants have him on 53 man?

Think the Steelers did the Jags a huge favour when they traded Dobbs for a 5th. He has enough poise and skill to be a starring QB in the league.  

Think the Steelers did the Jags a huge favour when they traded Dobbs for a 5th. He has enough poise and skill to be a starring QB in the league.  
Maybe.  Last year he looked good in preseason but crapped the bed when he played in the Oakland game for 1+ quarters.   He was mainly meh this preseason and was clearly out played by Rudolph.   I am not saying he'll never be a good NFL QB but he was buried in the depth chart and barring major injuries was never going to take another snap in a meaningful game for the Steelers.

Might as well get a 5th round pick now and give Dobbs a better opportunity to show what he can do.   Really the best scenario for all involved.

Yep. Whole week of bad decisions. Why did we need a 6th wr last night?  Why did we care if we lost him to the raiders?

Skipper looked legit. I assume giants have him on 53 man?
Yeah I didn't get the logic in activating Holton and exposing Skipper to the WW. 

It is my understanding that you must put any player taken from another team's practice squad on the active roster.

moondog said:
Right now for the 2020 draft the Steelers have their #1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and Jacksonville's 5th.   

Their 3rd round pick in 2020 was part of the the Devin Bush trade.

Hawkins was traded for a 6th round pick in the 2019 draft.
They likely will get a decent compensatory pick for Bell, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread