What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (4 Viewers)

Would have hated this move for a 2nd. What are they doing. 
Agreed. With the way their season is going and how bad the offense has been, there's a real chance that's going to be a high pick (and Fitzpatrick isn't worth it IMO).

But man, the Dolphins are taking this tanking thing to a whole new level. They'd better hit on every single one of those picks they are stocking.

Boy, I sure hope they’re right. If this team takes a crap with Ben’s injury that’s a high price to pay.
Agreed.  A week ago I would have been okay with it but if this season goes down the pooper we could be talking a top 5 pick

Dumb

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the good news is that it helps out their secondary which still is pretty bad.  But like people have said, if Rudolph also stinks and the Steelers have a bad year you have wasted any chance of drafting a QB in one of the better classes projected.   It really is all based on healthy Ben will be next year.  That is the gamble that has gotten them into this particular mess now

Only positive is Steelers drafting has been pretty par last few years. 

They must really feel Ben will be back. 
Agreed.  They must think Ben will be back to full strength next year.  Fitzpatrick was the 11th overall pick in 2018 so he will be on his rookie deal until 2022 - or the same time frame as Ben's deal - I believe.  Only issue is if the Steelers totally tank this season and their first this year is much higher than pick 11.  

Well that was exciting. 

Booger, “those are the plays the Browns want!”

uh, yeah Boog, those are the plays that literally every team from peewee league through the pros want.

thanks for the insight, numb nuts. 

Well that was exciting. 

Booger, “those are the plays the Browns want!”

uh, yeah Boog, those are the plays that literally every team from peewee league through the pros want.

thanks for the insight, numb nuts. 
Are you sure?  Mike Zimmer, Tom Coughlin, et. al. come to mind as coaches who might prefer a 15-play drive to one 89-yard TD strike...

Agreed.  They must think Ben will be back to full strength next year.  Fitzpatrick was the 11th overall pick in 2018 so he will be on his rookie deal until 2022 - or the same time frame as Ben's deal - I believe.  Only issue is if the Steelers totally tank this season and their first this year is much higher than pick 11.  
It's a good trade for Miami. They are gambling on Pittsburgh having a rough season.

If Pittsburgh is able to turn this around, their defense gets a big upgrade in the secondary.

Perhaps, but Miami is probably thinking the same thing that they have 1st pick from an 0-2 team that is without it's QB and top WR from last season.
Ok... I’m not the biggest fan of the trade but I’ll take Pittsburgh’s analysis of where their team stands in the big picture vs Miami’s evaluation of QB’s the last two decades. Just saying.

I’d have loved this deal for a second, even now.  Minkah is proven and still on his rookie deal. For a first, it’s a little much but can still work out.  Plus the Steelers have proven themselves terrible at actually drafting DBs so why not grab one that’s proven in a trade

I like that trade for both PIT & the fish.

Big Ben probably plays next year, PIT secondary gets a huge upgrade.  

Miami gets a top 15 draft pick, probably. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d have loved this deal for a second, even now.  Minkah is proven and still on his rookie deal. For a first, it’s a little much but can still work out.  Plus the Steelers have proven themselves terrible at actually drafting DBs so why not grab one that’s proven in a trade
Agreed with the bolded.  They get a proven DB who will be on his rookie deal for the same length as Ben's deal.  Seems like a decent investment to me.  If the Steelers end up with the 11th overall pick or higher, it will be a good trade IMO.

Not crazy about the trade, given circumstances, but saw one insider (might have been Rappaport?  Don't remember) cited on CBSsports.com who said the following:

"It's also possible the Steelers had a strong evaluation on Fitzpatrick and viewed him as a top-10 pick when he came out of Alabama. If that's the case, they are probably willing to give up a potentially high pick to secure a blue-chip defensive player. "

Since I have to assume this trade is Colbert's call, I suppose it could be as simple as that.  Who knows if it's true, but it would at least make some sense.  I probably don't agree with it if true, but I can see their logic if it was.

It's not like Colbert has been on the hot seat, or anything, so he has no reason to make some kind of splash  move just to be able to point at it to say "SEE, I'MMA FIX THIS SECONDARY!"  It's also possible, as already mentioned, that Colbert reeeally, reeaaally thinks Rudolph can win them games.  Who knows.

Crazy idea - what if Rudolph is awesome and the Steelers decide he is the future.  The Steelers trade Ben in the off season.  I doubt they would do that to Ben, but it's a thought I had.
What is Ben's contract after this season? I know he just signed an extension recently.

What is his age going into next season? 

It would be interesting if a team is willing to take on a very large contract for a QB in his mid 30's who hasn't played in a season. I'm sure there's going to be somebody if Rudolph does have a great year. Off the top of my head, knowing things will change -> TB, CHI, WAS in the NFC could all have interest. I'm assuming they would want to move him to a NFC team as the first option.

I never felt like Miami used Minkah correctly.

If the Steelers settle him into one position, he can be an anchor for their much maligned secondary.

This assumes, of course, that they acquire a defensive coach capable of scheming a secondary in the first place, which needs to be the next thing we trade a 1st for...

Not crazy about the trade, given circumstances, but saw one insider (might have been Rappaport?  Don't remember) cited on CBSsports.com who said the following:

"It's also possible the Steelers had a strong evaluation on Fitzpatrick and viewed him as a top-10 pick when he came out of Alabama. If that's the case, they are probably willing to give up a potentially high pick to secure a blue-chip defensive player. "

Since I have to assume this trade is Colbert's call, I suppose it could be as simple as that.  Who knows if it's true, but it would at least make some sense.  I probably don't agree with it if true, but I can see their logic if it was.

It's not like Colbert has been on the hot seat, or anything, so he has no reason to make some kind of splash  move just to be able to point at it to say "SEE, I'MMA FIX THIS SECONDARY!"  It's also possible, as already mentioned, that Colbert reeeally, reeaaally thinks Rudolph can win them games.  Who knows.
Where else does Pittsburgh need help at? Assuming, worst case (or best case), they were to get the #8 pick in next year's NFL draft. It's too early too know names, but what other position(s) would they have been looking at had they kept the pick and drafted in the top 10?

Where else does Pittsburgh need help at? Assuming, worst case (or best case), they were to get the #8 pick in next year's NFL draft. It's too early too know names, but what other position(s) would they have been looking at had they kept the pick and drafted in the top 10?
The downside is that if Rudolph sucks then the Steelers would miss the opportunity to pick a QB in the top 10.  

The 2020 class is too strong to give up a 1st for a non-stud player...especially after losing your starting QB for the season.  Guessing the Steelers fan base will prefer the rookie they would have selected vs having Fitzpatrick when their pick in on the clock for the Phins.

Hate this deal for Pitt.  I think this is a top 5-8 pick next year, and you can get a CB as good as that with that pick. 

Yes this means they have faith Ben will be back next year.... but with Ben back next year that also means they won't be a bottom team with a high pick.

Ben doesn't have too many years left... 2020 was probably the best chance this team had to draft their next franchise QB in the next 5 years.

Pittsburgh was 9-6-1 with Big Ben last year. They'll be favored in the Miami game, both Bengal games maybe, @ ARI , maybe not, and @Jets. They play both LA teams, and Baltimore and Cleveland twice. Probably  a top 10 pick in 2020 to Miami.

Fitzpatrick excelled at slot coverage and did well at outside corner and safety. He's lived up to his 11th overall draft position. But 2020 is the year of the QB. 

So the Steelers should have:

2nd 

3rd (Lev Bell comp pick hopefully)

4th (from Miami)

4th

5th (unsure of where the 2nd 5th came from)

6th 

7th

Bill Barnwell @billbarnwell

This is incredibly risky from the Steelers, who FPI projects to finish with the eighth overall pick in the draft after losing Roethlisberger for the season. Might cost them a shot at drafting their quarterback of the future, even if Fitzpatrick plays well.

Bill Barnwell @billbarnwell

This is incredibly risky from the Steelers, who FPI projects to finish with the eighth overall pick in the draft after losing Roethlisberger for the season. Might cost them a shot at drafting their quarterback of the future, even if Fitzpatrick plays well.
Wow!  I am stunned.  I luv Minka, thought he had a shot to play the perimeter but... ah.  I'm stunned at the timing.  

Does it mean Haden is done or?  

I thought Steeler fans were premature in shoveling dirt on the team but to make this move at this time it must mean they think Rudolph can take them to the post season but it is odd timing.

Where is Miami going to find a team that has been rendered toothless on offense by losing their Pro Bowl RB to FA, trading their Pro Bowl WR away, and have lost a HoF level QB and are willing to trade their 1st Round pick in 2020? 

-Enter the Pittsburgh Steelers

I have nothing but respect for the Steelers, their rich history and their titles. That said, I have never been a fan of Mike Tomlin, and their run of late(decisions) is definitely up for debate. I respect their strong will to not bend to players and do it their way. Quite frankly, it's foolish to think they don't somehow fleece the Phins in this because Miami does not deserve even a minor amount of respect for what they have done under the ownership of Stephen Ross, you can go back further but let's just keep it to him over the last decade plus.  

Miami's 4th round pick is really a 3rd or whatever the NFL grants teams when players they draft walk in free agency. It's a top 100 pick. 

So really Pittsburgh is moving a 1st for Fitz but they are getting almost a 3rd in return, Miami didn't get a 3rd thrown in from Roger Goodell when they took Fitzpatrick so the Steelers are getting something in return to ease the investment at a position that quite frankly they need a lot of help so this is going to pay big dividends for them. 

The reality though is that Pittsburgh is likely to lose a lot of games without Big Ben and with the losses of other key offensive players, this could be a top 5 pick, can't see it being worse than about 12th which is still a huge swing when you are dealing in the draft. 

They just gave him a 2 year extension.
So what the heck.  I mean they aren't going to try and use Minka as a corner.  They are going to use him as a FS?  I honestly felt he could play outside when he got drafted.  

The timing of the Ben injury, it doesn't make sense unless Corbett thinks they can make a playoff run with Rudolph.  I haven't looked at your schedule but the stats are brutal for teams beginning 0-2 and even if they are confident in Rudolph it seems like a large wager to make especially if that 1st rounder turns into a top-ten pick.

I have nothing but respect for the Steelers
Their front office kicks butt.  They draft incredibly well and I thought the move-up for Bush this year was brilliant but this move is a bit puzzling IMHO and I like Minka.  

You would know much more about his ability.  I'm sure he can play the slot but do you think he can play outside?

Users who are viewing this thread