Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Godsbrother

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Will play exclusively at safety this week it seems. 

Yeah, Tomlin said that at least for now he's locked in at Safety. The only comments I saw by him about Miami was that he didn't want to move all over the place like crazy. He played 6 positions this offseason and was not a fan. Last year he played 4 positions with Slot CB and FS being the most common. I'd bet that we're going to use him as a FS and Slot CB to start and then hopefully adjust based on how it's going. You can't give a normal player 6 positions worth of tasks to remember and expect him to excel. 

The Steelers need a playmaker, and we have an old friend who's wasting one right now. I'm not sure what it would take, but I think we should inquire about OJ Howard. Arians can't give two s***s about the TE position, and Howard is averaging like 10 yards per game. I think we should offer 2 4ths for him and instantly have another playmaker on offense. This year is the bizarro Steelers, so why not go for it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

The Steelers need a playmaker, and we have an old friend who's wasting one right now. I'm not sure what it would take, but I think we should inquire about OJ Howard. Arians can't give two s***s about the TE position, and Howard is averaging like 10 yards per game. I think we should offer 2 4ths for him and instantly have another playmaker on offense. This year is the bizarro Steelers, so why not go for it. 

Unfortunately Howard is also one of the best blocking TE’s in the game. Bruce will use them to block. It’s not like when Mike Martz sent Olsen packing because he simply didn’t use a TE at all. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

Unfortunately Howard is also one of the best blocking TE’s in the game. Bruce will use them to block. It’s not like when Mike Martz sent Olsen packing because he simply didn’t use a TE at all. 

Well, its kinda like that.

:lol:

Bet you there are a ton of happy faces on the practice field Wednesday from Minkahs arrival.

The FO just told the entire team what they think about them and this season going forward.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:41 AM, steelers1080 said:

What record do you guys think we get this season? I'm thinking 11-5 as a half-optimistic line.

1. Pats - 0-1
  2. Seahawks - 1-1
  3. 49ers - 2-1
  4. Bengals - 3-1
  5. Ravens - 4-1
  6. Chargers - 4-2
  7. Dolphins - 5-2
  8. Colts - 6-2
  9. Rams - 6-3
  10. Browns - 6-4
  11. Bengals - 7-4
  12. Browns - 8-4
  13. Cards - 9-4
  14. Bills - 10-4
  15. Jets - 11-4
  16. Ravens - 11-5

I think we split with the Ravens and Browns, we lose to two of Pats/Chargers/Rams and lose to 1 bad team. I just chose us losing to all 3 solid teams because I couldn't pick a bad team for us to lose to. 

Well crap. I think this is probably not accurate anymore, and wouldn't have been even if Ben stayed healthy. So, clearly the time to update this is now, while we still don't know how terrible (or great) Rudolph will be. We're obviously 0-2 after 2 weeks, and I would be surprised if we beat the 49ers on the road, since we never win on the west coast. So, after starting 0-3 we go on a short run and win 1 game, taking down the Bengals. The Ravens and Chargers will both be favorites against the Steelers but I think we're able to win at least 1 of those games, so now we're a solid 2-4. The Dolphins kick off a mini-run for us and we wind up 4-4 after 8 weeks. Rams-Browns-Bengals-Browns doesn't look too favorable now, but Goff falls into a slump and the Browns are somehow still bad, allowing us to dominate this stretch, 8-4 after 12 weeks. Cards-Bills-Jets sounds like an easy run, but we're unable to put away teams with terrible records so we end up eking by a 2-1 record there, putting us at 10-5. No one expects us to win against the Ravens right now, but with Lamar Jackson running on every 3rd play he gets hit more than his body can handle and RG3 doesn't last much longer. The Ravens are starting Trace McSorley by week 17 and the Steelers pull off the division clinching win. 11-5, did not see that coming at the beginning of this paragraph.

I think the biggest takeaway is that I'm still overly optimistic and that this season has yet to crush my hopes and dreams. If last week showed us anything its that anything can happen. Big Ben and Brees sustained major injuries and the Jets QB was too busy getting the kissing disease to stay on the field. The AFC looks insurmountable at the moment, but Brady and Mahomes are 1 bad hit away from the same fate as Ben. Anything can happen and I won't give up hope until we're eliminated from the playoffs (Or if we lose to the Dolphins). 

• Thinking 1

If we lose to the Dolphins or Jets this year, I think the entire coaching staff should be wiped out immediately.

I recall people around here wanting Taco Charlton (and Takkarist and R Foster) over Watt.  Now Taco is waiver wire fodder.

Edited by BigSteelThrill

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

If we lose to the Dolphins or Jets this year, I think the entire coaching staff should be wiped out immediately.

Jets will have Darnold and a full compliment back by then, though they may have already mailed it in.

If the Steelers still can't get much of a passing attack going this week, and it looks like our WRs are just not cutting it, I wouldn't mind making a move for an underutilized WR. The first one that comes to mind is Corey Davis. I still think he's talented, but stuck with Mariota and a run-first team. They just drafted AJ Brown and their QB likes targeting Walker, Humphries and Sharpe more. If we could get him for 1-2 mid round picks, I'd be all for that. 

• Love 1

barring another major injury to a star player or Rudolph being epically bad, I think this is the worst case scenario:

49ers - 2-1 LOSS

Bengals - 3-1 WIN

Ravens - 4-1 LOSS

Chargers - 4-2 LOSS

Dolphins - 5-2 WIN

Colts - 6-2 LOSS

Rams - 6-3 LOSS

Browns - 6-4 LOSS

Bengals - 7-4 WIN

Browns - 8-4 LOSS

Cards - 9-4 LOSS

Bills - 10-4 WIN

Jets - 11-4 WIN

Ravens - 11-5 LOSS

= 5-11 

If Rudolph is  very good+ I can see beating the 49ers, Chargers, Cards and Colts  and going 11-5 (2 losses they already have + 1 each to the Browns and Ravens + the Rams)

They're going to win a game or two that we expect them to lose (starting with this Sunday).  And they'll surely lose a game or two that we expect them to win because that happens every year.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

They're going to win a game or two that we expect them to lose (starting with this Sunday).  And they'll surely lose a game or two that we expect them to win because that happens every year.  

Sad but true. I'm hoping that because they're going in with a backup QB, they'll be more focused on the west coast this week and won't start slow.

Also, what if it was just Ben who stinks on the West Coast and not the team overall?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Sad but true. I'm hoping that because they're going in with a backup QB, they'll be more focused on the west coast this week and won't start slow.

Also, what if it was just Ben who stinks on the West Coast and not the team overall?

Last year they started the season 0-1-1 and came into week 3 facing a smoking hot Tampa offense.  If I recall, the Steelers mostly dominated that game (before of course letting Tampa back in it late as is typical).  I don't know if San Fran is legit or if they're like Tampa from last year.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

If the Steelers still can't get much of a passing attack going this week, and it looks like our WRs are just not cutting it, I wouldn't mind making a move for an underutilized WR. The first one that comes to mind is Corey Davis. I still think he's talented, but stuck with Mariota and a run-first team. They just drafted AJ Brown and their QB likes targeting Walker, Humphries and Sharpe more. If we could get him for 1-2 mid round picks, I'd be all for that. 

I would love to get Corey Davis but I think it would take a lot more than a couple mid round picks.  If he's on the market, I imagine the demand would be the through the roof for a guy with that much raw potential.  

Ola is going to be the #3 OLB this week with Chickillo out with a foot injury. I think he has what it takes to be a great OLB and I hope he shows that this week. If he can show talent this season I think we'll all feel better about letting Bud walk instead of paying him a huge contract to be just ok. 

3 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

that 3rd and 5th looking pretty damn good now

I was very skeptical when they made the trade but that has turned out to be highway robbery.  Oakland essentially just said to the steelers - "here you go.  take our 3rd and 5th round picks.  we don't need anything in return".  

And the Steelers will probably use that 3rd and 5th and end up finding the next Antonio Brown 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I was very skeptical when they made the trade but that has turned out to be highway robbery.  Oakland essentially just said to the steelers - "here you go.  take our 3rd and 5th round picks.  we don't need anything in return".  

Nope, what they got in return was a major distraction, embarrassment and demoralizer. It was like Marty Bryant but on roid rage. Thx, Stillers. You ####s. 👍

Edited by LawFitz

5 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

And the Steelers will probably use that 3rd and 5th and end up finding the next Antonio Brown 

They got Diontae J and Devin Bush. How?

Having the extra (early) third rounder gave them the confidence to trade their 2nd rd pick to go get Bush, as a calculated bet that Diontae would fall. He did.

Stillers play 4d. Props to them.

23 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Isn’t this true with almost every team?

10 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Isn’t this true with almost every team?

Not quite.  I’m struggling to remember the last time the Skins, Lions, Texans or Jets “won a game they were expected to lose.”

Edited by Arodin
Example cited.

28 minutes ago, Arodin said:

Not quite.  I’m struggling to remember the last time the Skins, Lions, Texans or Jets “won a game they were expected to lose.”

The Lions were expected to lose against the Patriots last year, but they beat them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, simey said:

The Lions were expected to lose against the Patriots last year, but they beat them.

It's little things like this that make you the best poster on the board. 

No way Bell can be 'happy'

Did Brown go nuts after the Burfict hit?

Mistake in converting Ben's $$ to signing cash.  Ready to move on - he ain't winning us a Super Bowl.

Next year looking like a dead money bust

Let’s not arrogantly dismiss how apparent the detriment of AB’s absence is. I’ve always found the AB/Johnson comp silly. AB, despite his recent madness, was and is a once a lifetime type of player. A massive outlier whose work ethic made him special. Yes, they won the trade but through no fault of their own. The Rooney’s tried to talk AB into coming back, they knew how important he was to the offense. I certainly have no love for the man and he’s proven an even bigger POS then first imagined. I just think it’s not really anything to celebrate and the suggestion that he can just be replaced by a 3rd rounder from Toledo is silly season.

8 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

Let’s not arrogantly dismiss how apparent the detriment of AB’s absence is. I’ve always found the AB/Johnson comp silly. AB, despite his recent madness, was and is a once a lifetime type of player. A massive outlier whose work ethic made him special. Yes, they won the trade but through no fault of their own. The Rooney’s tried to talk AB into coming back, they knew how important he was to the offense. I certainly have no love for the man and he’s proven an even bigger POS then first imagined. I just think it’s not really anything to celebrate and the suggestion that he can just be replaced by a 3rd rounder from Toledo is silly season.

Getting a 3rd and 5th in the 2019 draft is better than cutting AB in 2019 and getting nothing.

• Like 4

I have been slow to jump on the panic train, but I was wrong. They are done. The OL forgot how to play in just a few months. The play calling is garbage. 

AB is not a “once in a lifetime” player.

Thought the play calling sucked, too.

Defense played well enough to make me think 7-9 isn’t an unreasonable prediction. (Which means 7-6 for rest of season)

Stick a fork in this season, though. Baltimore looked good even in a loss.

The team is definitely done this year but I’m getting very nervous about their longer term outlook.  The O line was garbage and I guess Rudolph was ok after a horrible start.  The defense should be pretty good on paper but 2 weeks in a row where they fell apart in the 2nd half.  What is going on there?  Fitzpatrick added a huge spark to the defense but if this team doesn’t start winning, that trade is going to look awful.  I was more excited for this game than any I can recall in a while and I’m a little depressed now.  And if this season keeps going in this direction, Tomlin is gone.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

The team is definitely done this year but I’m getting very nervous about their longer term outlook.  The O line was garbage and I guess Rudolph was ok after a horrible start.  The defense should be pretty good on paper but 2 weeks in a row where they fell apart in the 2nd half.  What is going on there?  Fitzpatrick added a huge spark to the defense but if this team doesn’t start winning, that trade is going to look awful.  I was more excited for this game than any I can recall in a while and I’m a little depressed now.  And if this season keeps going in this direction, Tomlin is gone.

I agree to an extent.. I am more mffed about the 1st half play calling.. Mason isn't going to hurt you throwing deep. Steelers only threw deep in the second half and look what happened. I think Mason will be ok. The O-Line I thought was always overrated. Now they lost Munchak and they are horrid. They were a product of Ben being so elusive and Bell being athletic.

Conner needs benched. He has no burst and dances too much. Samuels has looked good in the times I have seen him. It amazes me he got zero touches today. Snell looks like a complete bust.

JuJu has issues with seperation. He did last year and was able to just out run his coverage.. Now he is grabbing Double coverages and having issues.

The TE position is awful McDonald is so injury prone. Wonder how much he is going to miss this year?

The D is still young. Watt is a beat. Bush has all the tools to be great, but needs a year. He is going to make mistakes. DuPree is awful and think at some point ttey will move on from him. Barron is awful and they were hoping he could help in coverage, but he has been burnt so much doing that. I don't know what else there is for him to provide.

I am generally very optimistic about the Steelers but man it's hard to have any hope at this point.  The defense got 5 turnover but most (if not all) of them were gifts by the 49ers.  Conner is not playing well.  The oline is not playing well.  And the defense once again couldn't hold onto a lead at the end of the game.

M. Fitzpatrick is a great addition and I'm glad to have him in a vacuum, but the pick they traded might end up being a top 5 pick at this point - that would be a very bad trade for the Steelers if it ends up that way.   

Ravens hung with KC today and CLE is beating the Rams as I type this on SNF - I don't see us beating either of those teams (BAL, CLE).  There aren't many teams I think they can beat ATM.  :kicksrock:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steeler said:

I am generally very optimistic about the Steelers but man it's hard to have any hope at this point.  The defense got 5 turnover but most (if not all) of them were gifts by the 49ers.  Conner is not playing well.  The oline is not playing well.  And the defense once again couldn't hold onto a lead at the end of the game.

M. Fitzpatrick is a great addition and I'm glad to have him in a vacuum, but the pick they traded might end up being a top 5 pick at this point - that would be a very bad trade for the Steelers if it ends up that way.   

Ravens hung with KC today and CLE is beating the Rams as I type this on SNF - I don't see us beating either of those teams (BAL, CLE).  There aren't many teams I think they can beat ATM.  :kicksrock:

You don’t need to be optimistic.  You need to be a realist. The team stinks.  Even when the team is good, coaching will always be a detriment.  I’m sure ESPN is pumped about next week’s primetime matchup between two 0–3 teams.  Fortunately the Steelers won’t need to devise a plan to stop AJ Green.  

• Like 1

Calm down, geez. It was Mason Rudolph's first start, and it was on the West Coast where we usually get blown out. Our offense looked like dog s*** in the first half, and I don't think Randy Fichtner is particularly good at his job, but I still saw things that made me hopeful for the rest of the season. If we lose to Cincy on Monday I'll be closer to throwing in the towel, but our team has shown flashes of what it's capable of. Our run D definitely needs to tighten up because when teams want to wind the clock down we have been unable to stop them. 

I thought we'd be 0-3 and that our team would start playing better after this game. I still think we could be 4-4 if our D continues to make splash plays. Essentially, all we need to do is play our 2nd half offense and our 1st half defense for the whole game. Then we'll be golden.

Minkah is looking like a great pickup after week 1.

Rudolph looked very shaky trying to throw 0-5 yard passes, but finally looked in his element when throwing the deep ball in the 2nd half, you know, the thing that he excelled at in college. I don't think that Randy really knows how to game plan around his player's strengths and I wouldn't oppose him being replaced, but I doubt that happens because it might upset Ben. Also not sure they have a better replacement in the wings. 

14 hours ago, pecorino said:

Defense played well enough to make me think 7-9 isn’t an unreasonable prediction. (Which means 7-6 for rest of season)

Keep telling yourself that. 

11 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Calm down, geez.

This whole season is going to boil down to which pick they gave up to get M. Fitzpatrick and right now it doesn't look good.  In the simplest of terms, the Steelers will have won the trade (at least in my mind) if they pick is 11th or greater since Fitzpatrick was selected with the 11th pick in 2018.  

Below is the top half of the 2019 draft showing the draft spot, the team, and the win total of that team.  If we use that as a proxy for the 2020 draft then the Steelers are going to have to win 7 games to get a pick greater than 11 and I just don't see this team going 7 - 6 the rest of the way.

1. ARI (3)
2. SF (4)
3. NYJ (4)
4. OAK (4)
5. TB (5)
6. NYG (5)
7. JAC (5)
8. DET (6)
9. BUF (6)
10. DEN (6)
11. CIN (6)
12. GB (6)
13. MIA (7)

14 hours ago, pecorino said:

4 minutes ago, Iceman03 said:

Keep telling yourself that. 

Who cares about AB?  He isn't even in the league any longer :lol:  There is a million page thread for that knucklehead if you need your AB fix for the day.

Back to the Steelers:  the only glimmer of hope is that the teams they have played so far are a combined 8-1 - maybe they just got unlucky with the schedule in the early part of the season.  I guess the MNF game against CIN will say a lot about that.

20 minutes ago, Steeler said:

Who cares about AB?  He isn't even in the league any longer :lol:  There is a million page thread for that knucklehead if you need your AB fix for the day.

I believe this offense cares about losing AB despite whatever rationale everyone is selling themselves in this thread. There is no deep threat and Fitchner is terrified to call shots downfield. Even with Ben in that was evident.

20 hours ago, Iceman03 said:

Lol still hating on Diontae huh? He'll continue to prove you wrong over his career. Can't wait for him to get Big Ben back next year. That's when he'll really start to shine. He'll be up and down with Mason Rudolph but still flash like he did yesterday. 

Edited by Milkman

7 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Lol still hating on Diontae huh? He'll continue to prove you wrong over his career. Can't wait for him to get Big Ben back next year. That's when he'll really start to shine. He'll be up and down with Mason Rudolph but still flash like he did yesterday. 

🙄 why did I take you off ignore again. Don’t bother quoting me because you’re back on the list with this constant Johnson stupidity.

We played an undefeated opponent on the road with essentially a rookie quarterback and had the lead with 5 min and moving the ball.  If Conner doesn’t fumble there’s a decent chance they win the game.

There is definitely good reason to be pessimistic about the season but take any team’s best 3 playmakers and not expect drop off is unrealistic.

0-3

On 9/20/2019 at 9:06 AM, JoeSteeler said:

barring another major injury to a star player or Rudolph being epically bad, I think this is the worst case scenario:

49ers - 2-1 LOSS

Bengals - 3-1 WIN

Ravens - 4-1 LOSS

Chargers - 4-2 LOSS

Dolphins - 5-2 WIN

Colts - 6-2 LOSS

Rams - 6-3 LOSS

Browns - 6-4 LOSS

Bengals - 7-4 WIN

Browns - 8-4 LOSS

Cards - 9-4 LOSS

Bills - 10-4 WIN

Jets - 11-4 WIN

Ravens - 11-5 LOSS

= 5-11 

If Rudolph is  very good+ I can see beating the 49ers, Chargers, Cards and Colts  and going 11-5 (2 losses they already have + 1 each to the Browns and Ravens + the Rams)

Miami is a win for sure, Jets perhaps but they will be looking for teams they can beat too, Buffalo is not a win, and I think Cinci is a split. 

Of the 5 wins, look more like 3 perhaps. 

I also highlighted 4 Losses I think can be victories, let's say half of those are right. 

I still come up with 5 Wins, 5-11 and not having a 1st round pick, lot of bad teams this year but that feels like about 8th or higher in the Draft order...8 divisions and some of them will have Zero win teams, a couple likely 2-3 wins tops. 

Warren Sharp‏Verified account @SharpFootball 14h14 hours ago

Domination not seen in final score:

SF: 26 1st downs, 11 3rd downs PIT: 11 1st downs, 12 3rd downs

SF: 436 yds & 6.0 yds/play PIT: 239 yds & 4.7 yds/play

SF: 6 red zone trips PIT: 1 red zone trip

SF: 5 turnovers PIT: 2 turnovers

--------------------------------------------------

Those are the numbers with 5 turnovers.  

Time to move on from Vance Macdonald too. The guy cant be counted on at all. He is hurt ALL the time. Wish they would have drafted someone higher this past year than what they did.

Edited by irish eyes