What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where should I move to? (1 Viewer)

Which city should I pick?

• Tucson, AZ

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Tallahassee, FL

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Norman, OK

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Ann Arbor,MI

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • Omaha, NE

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Columbia,MO

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters

wazoo11

Footballguy
I’ve got job offers in each place to take an academic library job starting in October. Which college town would you suggest is the most ideal? I’ve never lived outside of New England before. I don’t mind the heat.  Walk ability and cost of living is my top priorities.

love food, music and football.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t say that I’ve been there, but Ann Arbor frequently gets top (or near top) mention in lists of best places to live in the US, and I’ve only heard great things from the Michigan alums that I know.

I haven't been to most of those places but you will be hard pressed to find a better college town than Ann Arbor.

Michigan is the best academic university, by far, of those options.

I'm not sure that is your question, though.  

Most ideal college town? I can't tell you that.  I've only visited Tucson and Omaha.  Both were nice towns.  

Still would go with Ann Arbor....

Congrats on your opportunity.  

Michigan is the best academic university, by far, of those options.

I'm not sure that is your question, though.  

Most ideal college town? I can't tell you that.  I've only visited Tucson and Omaha.  Both were nice towns.  

Still would go with Ann Arbor....

Congrats on your opportunity.  
Ann Arbor is pretty typically voted among the top 2 or 3 college towns, it's very livable and there is always a ton of cool things to do. 

Ann Arbor is pretty typically voted among the top 2 or 3 college towns, it's very livable and there is always a ton of cool things to do. 
That doesn't surprise me.  I'll be visiting town for the first time on 9/11/21 for the Washington/Michigan game.  Can't wait.....

That doesn't surprise me.  I'll be visiting town for the first time on 9/11/21 for the Washington/Michigan game.  Can't wait.....
Oh that's cool that the Huskies are coming back to town. UW has a stadium I would love to visit. 

I have family living in Omaha. Nice weather. Winters are mild with little to no snow accumulation. Summers can get brutally hot. Quite a bit to do. No NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL team though.

FSU has a nice campus but there isn't much else in Tallahassee besides college(s) and the state government.  Any decent sized city is 2+ hours away. 

Ann Arbor is the obvious choice and I think a distant second might go to Tucson.

The location is spared from lake effect. Average annual isnt much different than most northern states and actually is an improvement over the nor'easters OP currently deals with. 
So it snows there? I mean at all.

I despise Michigan, University of Michigan, and cold weather.  But of this list Ann Arbor is the clear choice.  Tucson a distant 2nd.  Fun stuff to do around Tucson but not in the categories you're looking for.

I don’t know what that has to do when his other options are sunshine states and he doesn’t mind the heat. 
He also has lived in New England his whole life. If you can't deal with winter then you don't live up here. Not complicated. A lot of great things about living up here as long as you can deal with those couple months. 

I haven't been to any of these places, but Ann Arbor seems like a clear winner if you can mind the depressing coldness.  Otherwise it is Tuscon.  None of these other cities seem desirable in any way at all.

BTW I’m rolling at Oklahoma getting ZERO votes.

Keep in mind that 70-75 years ago thousands of people fled Oklahoma to come to Bakersfield.

Actually from the list Columbia MO isn't so bad - 90 min or so to watch Cardinal baseball. SEC Football - although it's the SEC East. But you should look just to the south at the Lake of the Ozarks - a really cool lake only an hour or so away. Get a cheap place in Columbia and a place on the lake for the weekends. Awesome boating lake.

Serious answer:

If you are used to cold/snowy winters...Ann Arbor for sure.

If you know how to deal with blazing summers and enjoy the ability to do cool stuff all-year-round...Tucson.

Serious answer:

If you know how to deal with blazing summers and enjoy the ability to do cool stuff all-year-round...Tucson.
"Cool Stuff" in Tucson = go into the desert and shoot things.  Ever seen a barrel cactus take a .45 ACP at 20 paces?

Serious answer:

My one complaint visiting a friend in Arizona was the amount of scorpions. I don’t know if I could handle 😴 at night and those crawling around my house. 

It's relative, but the snow in Ann arbor isn't all that bad. Clearly more than the other choices, but the summer in Michigan makes up for it.  Lived nearby for 5 years, used to hit A² often as a kid (Dad got his Masters from Michigan and essentially forced us to be fans). I'd go back if we wanted to leave here and wife didn't despise the cold. 

Omaha and Columbia would be next on the list. We visited both while in Kansas, Omaha is easily better for what we want but Columbia seemed decent. 

What's the cost of living in Ann Arbor?  I would think it would be at or near the top of these choices as highest.

Users who are viewing this thread