What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Am I crazy for considering Cook at 1.5? (1 Viewer)

That’s missing the forest for the trees. 

People who fall in love with players to the point that they reach for them by a full round lose leagues. 

Better to risk missing Cook than dramatically overpay for Cook. 

Especially considering Cook’s injury history, which is why his ADP is where it is. 

Ain’t nothin wrong with a man-crush. I’m the king of annual man-crushes. I just don’t overpay for them.  
My trophies and cash payouts say otherwise. And the only reason it's a reach is why?? Because experts and other players dictate a manufactured ADP?

If an owner thinks a guy can be top 5 and wants him, who are you to tell hi he is wrong? You're probably the same guy who snickered when somebody reached for Kittle last year.

by letting the draft come to you & taking BPA in the first, maybe you land Cook in the 2nd. 

Whats better:

A. Cook/Hilton

B. Hopkins/Cook

seems pretty obvious. Yes, it’s a risk that Cook won’t be there. But that’s the risk/reward, right?  Maybe then it’d be ok to reach for a DWill in the 2nd, or take another elite or near elite WR, then go for a Montgomery or Carson after that in the 3rd.
Of course I would rather have Hopkins/Cook but that really isn't the comparison we should be discussing here.  The reason to take Cook at 1.05 is the belief he won't be there at pick #2.  If I know for sure Cook makes it back then I wait.....unfortunately that is not guaranteed.

I would much rather have cook/Hilton than Hopkins/dwill.  I don't see D Will as a guy that keeps his job the whole year so I have him way down the RB list.  That is why "reaching" for Cook isn't an issue for me.

Much of your reasoning is based on people performing how they are ranked by the consensus.  This is the fallacy I see in this reasoning because that isn't guaranteed.  It's why believing in your own evaluation and adjusting based on ADP is a good thing and not a problem for taking Cook at 1.05.  Will it turn out to be the right choice?  Nobody knows as of today.

If Cook had an ADP of 4.10 then I would agree that you shouldn't reach at 1.05.  But that isn't the case here.  I think that is the big difference in our disagreement.  You think 2.07 (or whatever Cook's ADP is) is a huge difference to take at 1.05 but I do not and worth it to ensure I get the guy I think will make it worth it.

That’s missing the forest for the trees. 

People who fall in love with players to the point that they reach for them by a full round lose leagues. 

Better to risk missing Cook than dramatically overpay for Cook. 

Especially considering Cook’s injury history, which is why his ADP is where it is. 

Ain’t nothin wrong with a man-crush. I’m the king of annual man-crushes. I just don’t overpay for them.  
"Dramatically overpay"? 

Then you follow that up with the reasoning for his ADP is injury history. So let's say he is healthy all year. 5th pick still "dramatically overpaying"? No. 

FF is so fun because we get to draft who we want.  1.05 seems at least 7 spots to early for me but this is the OPs draft.  

I draft in Steelers country and we used to chuckle at a huge Steeler fan that always loaded up on Steelers even if he had to reach.  It worked out well for him over the last few years.  We don't chuckle as much these days.   

At 1.05, you're counting on him staying healthy and really delivering.  There are a lot of more sure-fire things.  I'd much rather take David Johnson and let Cook fall to me in the 2nd.  Or if you're hell bent on going RB in the 2nd round--get one of those elite WR's.  

I think "take who you want cuz it's fun" is fine for your friends and family league.  But if it's a league you care about, target Cook in the 2nd--and if he's not there, someone close will be.

The trap I think all of us have been tempted to fall into--we all want to look like a genius.  Everyone loves being the guy that caught the breakout year or the sleeper.  

Where you pick a player isn't just about your projected outcome, but your degree of confidence in that outcome.  I don't see how anyone ignores the injury history with Dalvin Cook.  He's played in 15 games--not even a full NFL season worth of football games in 2 years.  

Will anyone be shocked if he has 2,000 total yards and 14 TD's?  No.  But I also won't be shocked if David Johnson does the same thing.  I also won't be shocked if Hopkins or Adams have career years.  I'm way less concerned about those guys missing major chunks of time due to injury.  In the 1st round especially, I want as little risk/question mark as I can get my hands on.  

Doing multiple leagues helps to an extent--you get the guys you like more often.  

In short, you're asking should you take Cook way ahead of his ADP--or "Should I reach?"  I think in the 1st round, the answer is always no.

At 1.05, you're counting on him staying healthy and really delivering.  There are a lot of more sure-fire things.  I'd much rather take David Johnson
You're always counting on the guy you take to stay healthy. David Johnson played less than half a game the year he went 1.01-1.03 in every league.

You're always counting on the guy you take to stay healthy. David Johnson played less than half a game the year he went 1.01-1.03 in every league.
He also played 16 games the 2 years prior.  He has played 16 games 3/4 years.

It's much easier to bet on someone to stay healthy when they'e played 16 games.  Dalvin Cook has played a grand total of 15 NFL games in 2 years.

At 1.05, you're counting on him staying healthy and really delivering.  There are a lot of more sure-fire things.  I'd much rather take David Johnson and let Cook fall to me in the 2nd.  Or if you're hell bent on going RB in the 2nd round--get one of those elite WR's.  

I think "take who you want cuz it's fun" is fine for your friends and family league.  But if it's a league you care about, target Cook in the 2nd--and if he's not there, someone close will be.
I guess that is the crux of the situation and why you wouldn't "reach" for Cook.  If the OP is projecting a full year and a top 5 finish from Cook then to him it is a "sure-fire" thing.  I think everyone is in agreement that they would much rather draft Cook in the 2nd round.  It is better value.  However, based on ADP it is no guarantee that he lasts.  So the question is if you truly believe that Cook is a top 5 RB this year do you risk missing out on that performance by waiting and hoping?  My answer is that if you are sold on Cook as a top 5 guy take him in that spot.  If you have doubts then take the risk and hope he is there in the 2nd. 

I don't think its solely a matter of "take who you want cuz it's fun" ........its take you who you want because you believe he will stay healthy and be a top 5 guy. 

He also played 16 games the 2 years prior.  He has played 16 games 3/4 years.

It's much easier to bet on someone to stay healthy when they'e played 16 games.  Dalvin Cook has played a grand total of 15 NFL games in 2 years.
A torn ACL can happen to anyone. Past injuries are not always predictive of future injuries (or lack thereof). Fred Taylor was called "fragile Fred" and then all of a sudden he played 16 games every year going forward. It's a psychological hang-up, and I get it because it afflicts me sometimes as well - but the bottom line is any RB can get injured on any play. Cook is no more likely to miss time in 2019 than David Johnson is.

A torn ACL can happen to anyone. Past injuries are not always predictive of future injuries (or lack thereof). Fred Taylor was called "fragile Fred" and then all of a sudden he played 16 games every year going forward. It's a psychological hang-up, and I get it because it afflicts me sometimes as well - but the bottom line is any RB can get injured on any play. Cook is no more likely to miss time in 2019 than David Johnson is.
Fragile Fred played 16 games twice in his career.  And that was in the 5th and 6th years of his career

After that:  14, 11, 15, 15, 13

I realize your knee jerk reaction is to say "14 and 15 aren't significant time lost."  But it does kind of prove the point that certain people do have a tendency to get hurt.  

David Johnson's hand  is much less of a concern than Cook's legs.  After the ACL, we dealt with a hamstring.  

Maybe he puts it behind him and we see the player we've always expected.  But to just say "well he's no more likely to get injured than anyone else" ignores his history.  

The way to win is to get value out of each of your picks.  If you are overpaying for Cook you aren't going to get value.  You may be right about him but if you are that only gets you to even value.  Now getting Cook in the 2nd round and having him perform as a 1st rounder is value.

Overpaying for someone is okay if they are going to return more then what you paid.  There is no way for a player to return more if they are taken with the 5th pick.  That is why they say you can't win your league with the first pick but can lose it.  Because there is no upside in the first pick.  

But there is also the emotional nature of the game.  If he is "your guy" for what ever reason (your favorite team, followed him a lot...) then it is fun to have him on your team.  Emotions can outweigh numbers all the time.  The game is supposed to be fun.

Fragile Fred played 16 games twice in his career.  And that was in the 5th and 6th years of his career

After that:  14, 11, 15, 15, 13

I realize your knee jerk reaction is to say "14 and 15 aren't significant time lost."  But it does kind of prove the point that certain people do have a tendency to get hurt.  

David Johnson's hand  is much less of a concern than Cook's legs.  After the ACL, we dealt with a hamstring.  

Maybe he puts it behind him and we see the player we've always expected.  But to just say "well he's no more likely to get injured than anyone else" ignores his history.  
A hamstring injury right after an ACl tear is somewhat typical and can be directly related to the original injury.  

I begin to worry about an injury history for guys like Isaac Bruce when he had soft tissue injuries virtually every year.  That seems like a body composition issue that is more concerning. 

I catastrophic injury like a ligament tear or kidney laceration (keenan allen situation) shouldn't be chronic and a sign of more injury risk.

A hamstring injury right after an ACl tear is somewhat typical and can be directly related to the original injury.  

I begin to worry about an injury history for guys like Isaac Bruce when he had soft tissue injuries virtually every year.  That seems like a body composition issue that is more concerning. 

I catastrophic injury like a ligament tear or kidney laceration (keenan allen situation) shouldn't be chronic and a sign of more injury risk.
Sure.  And If I was betting--I THINK he'll play most of the season.  But I'm also not going to completely ignore what he's missed in the first 2 years of his career.  You've got to risk stratify.  

Of course I would rather have Hopkins/Cook but that really isn't the comparison we should be discussing here.  The reason to take Cook at 1.05 is the belief he won't be there at pick #2.  If I know for sure Cook makes it back then I wait.....unfortunately that is not guaranteed.
No one knows anything for sure. That’s why it’s a risk to take the WR & hope the RB gets there.

i made that abundantly clear. 

The risk is mitigated by the fact that *other running backs of equal or near value will also potentially be there* - so falling in love with a player instead of a value can lead to a less productive draft. 

I would much rather have cook/Hilton than Hopkins/dwill.  I don't see D Will as a guy that keeps his job the whole year so I have him way down the RB list.  That is why "reaching" for Cook isn't an issue for me.
There ya go. So that’s your opinon on DWill - good to know, but irrelevant to the discussion. It was merely one example of a RB who might be available.

There are other names. Pick one you believe has similar value at RB. Should be easy since there are LOTS this year..

The point you seem to be missing is that there’s a grater drop-off at WR than RB.

Much of your reasoning is based on people performing how they are ranked by the consensus.  This is the fallacy I see in this reasoning because that isn't guaranteed.  It's why believing in your own evaluation and adjusting based on ADP is a good thing and not a problem for taking Cook at 1.05.  Will it turn out to be the right choice?  Nobody knows as of today.
No. You’ve entirely missed the mark. There’s no fallacy. My reasoning is based on where the consensus believes these players will perform and *should be drafted”.

ADP =/= my player projections 

don’t confuse the two:

this is a factor that’s at the crux of this debate because so many owners confuse those things. “I believe Carson will be a top 5 RB so I’m gonna draft him at 1.05” - no, I believe Carson will be a top 5 RB so I’m going to get great value on him in the late 3rd/early 4th.

thats not a fallacy, it’s understanding the big picture, and being able to take advantage of the consensus opinions (ADP) and find value in the draft. 

drafting solely by their projections & ignoring where others value those players is foolish. 

If Cook had an ADP of 4.10 then I would agree that you shouldn't reach at 1.05.  But that isn't the case here.  I think that is the big difference in our disagreement.  You think 2.07 (or whatever Cook's ADP is) is a huge difference to take at 1.05 but I do not and worth it to ensure I get the guy I think will make it worth it.
Again, no. I believe it’s a huge difference because you are passing up the opportunity to get a blue chip WR to reach for a Cook at1.05, instead of taking the blue chip WR and then taking a player of equal value in the 2nd, which might even be Cook. 

THAT is the key. It’s not about what I think Cook’s value is. Hell; I like Cook even though he burned me his rookie year. I think he’s a fine 2nd round pick, specifically because he’s a value there. But I’m not going to reach for him because I suffer at WR for doing so if I could have had Hopkins too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep seeing him go at 19 and the Chubb at 20.

IMO

Hopkins + Chubb > Cook + Minny WR
Bingo. 

Take the top 3 WR, suffer no drop-off at RB for it.

Reach for Cook 1.05, suffer at WR for it.

It’s really that simple. Draft for positional value, not for player name. 

If your mancrush is so strong you’re willing to take that value hit, have at it. 

It’s not “crazy,” but it’s not very smart either. 

My trophies and cash payouts say otherwise.
Oh, hello mr I win every league every year response guy. How nice of you to join us. 🙄

And the only reason it's a reach is why?? Because experts and other players dictate a manufactured ADP?
No, it’s a reach because the consensus ADP indicates that’s where the majority of players in the majority of leagues will draft him. 

Obviously. 👍🏼

If an owner thinks a guy can be top 5 and wants him, who are you to tell him he is wrong?
I’m not telling anyone they’re right or wrong. I’m telling them what makes sense from a value perspective in fantasy football. I too have won leagues. I too have cashed out. I too have reached for players and learned from it.

sp who am I? I’m a guy replying to a topic of someone asking for advice with the advice I have to offer.

who are you to criticize me for that? 

You're probably the same guy who snickered when somebody reached for Kittle last year.
I play in 2 leagues full of Bay Area Niner fans. And no one reached for Kittle. 

But a lot of people got awesome value on him by not reaching for him.

and if they did reach for him, they may well have failed to capitalize on that great value because they reached for him instead of waiting for him to become an awesome value. 

Thanks for cementing my point. :yes:  

I guess that is the crux of the situation and why you wouldn't "reach" for Cook.  If the OP is projecting a full year and a top 5 finish from Cook then to him it is a "sure-fire" thing.  I think everyone is in agreement that they would much rather draft Cook in the 2nd round.  It is better value.  However, based on ADP it is no guarantee that he lasts.  So the question is if you truly believe that Cook is a top 5 RB this year do you risk missing out on that performance by waiting and hoping?  My answer is that if you are sold on Cook as a top 5 guy take him in that spot.  If you have doubts then take the risk and hope he is there in the 2nd. 

I don't think its solely a matter of "take who you want cuz it's fun" ........its take you who you want because you believe he will stay healthy and be a top 5 guy. 
Which is fine, as long as you aren’t sacrificing value elsewhere for it. 

He could at least get a handle or a beer from owners 6-12 for letting them get a better player.  That's probably not against the rules.
Oh, when I’m sitting 1.07, the best thing I can hope for is seeing 1.05 take a 2nd rounder. 

Adams or Hopkins at 7 then Chubb, Hill or Beckham in the 2nd?

please and thank you. :wub:  

No one knows anything for sure. That’s why it’s a risk to take the WR & hope the RB gets there.

i made that abundantly clear. 

The risk is mitigated by the fact that *other running backs of equal or near value will also potentially be there* - so falling in love with a player instead of a value can lead to a less productive draft.

There are other names. Pick one you believe has similar value at RB. Should be easy since there are LOTS this year
If you don't believe there to be "other RB's of equal or near value" that will be left then you take the chance to get the guy you think is above the other round 2 options.  Couple that with not thinking there is as big of a drop off with WR's and it makes sense.

All of your argument is based on your evaluation of the players that will be left.....and stating the ADP does not equal your valuation.  That is a consensus valuation.  You keep stating that the ADP valuation (a player of equal or similar value) will be available.  What if your evaluation doesn't agree?  That is what I am saying in my arguments.  

I agree with the need to find value in relation to ADP as a piece of info but you also have to adjust to get the guys you really think are difference makers.

I play in 3 ppr redraft leagues, and I will bet a lot of $ that Cook will be gone before 1.05 gets to pick in the 2nd in all of them

If you don't believe there to be "other RB's of equal or near value" that will be left then you take the chance to get the guy you think is above the other round 2 options. 
Which is fine. It’s wrong, but it’s fine.

there’s clearly more depth at RB this year in the higher tiers than at WR. 

But sure - if your man-love for a 2nd rounder is so strong that you want to shove that square peg into a round hole, nothing anyone can say will convince you otherwise. 

But at that point the OP’s question about sanity might come into play. ;)  

Couple that with not thinking there is as big of a drop off with WR's and it makes sense.
Again, you’re welcome to believe whatever you like. But if you believe the drop-off from Hopkins/Adams to say, Tyler Lockett or Diggs isn’t massive, you’re likely projecting inaccurately.

All of your argument is based on your evaluation of the players that will be left.....and stating the ADP does not equal your valuation.  That is a consensus valuation.  You keep stating that the ADP valuation (a player of equal or similar value) will be available.  What if your evaluation doesn't agree?  That is what I am saying in my arguments.  
I understand what you’ve been saying. And I’ve clearly addressed your points. 

I agree with the need to find value in relation to ADP as a piece of info but you also have to adjust to get the guys you really think are difference makers.
Unless that means reaching & ruining whatever value could have been gleaned by using ADP to capitalize on that value. 

👍🏼

If you don't believe there to be "other RB's of equal or near value" that will be left then you take the chance to get the guy you think is above the other round 2 options.  Couple that with not thinking there is as big of a drop off with WR's and it makes sense.

But again:

David Johnson is a difference maker.

Adams and Hopkins--difference makers.  

You've got guys with 1400 yard seasons and double digit TD seasons.  It's one thing to jump up for your difference maker in the 4th round when your guy goes in the 6th.  It's another to skip elite players in the first 5 picks of the draft.

I play in 3 ppr redraft leagues, and I will bet a lot of $ that Cook will be gone before 1.05 gets to pick in the 2nd in all of them
Which might be true. But by the fact that’s the case, doesn’t that mean another player will certainly then fall further than expected? It’s a snake draft after all. So yeah - maybe 1.05 misses Cook in the 2nd.

What if that means getting Chubb or Hill or Beckham instead?

cant have one without the other. So if that’s the case, now team 1.05 has stronger picks in both the 1st and 2nd round.

and that’s the point. 

There's good logic behind the top 4 of McCaffrey Kamara Barkley and Elliott (if he signs). They've got the combination of past performance, perceived talent, receiving work, goal line work and volume. 

After that it's some combination of

David Johnson

Lev Bell 

Conner

Mixon

Gurley

Chubb

Cook

to round out the top 11 backs. 

There's also Hopkins Adams Thomas hill obj Julio and Juju,  Kelce, and Melvin Gordon if he reports. 

That is your consensus second tier.  Those 15 guys - plus the top 4 - plus some combination of Damien Williams, Evans, Antonio brown, ty Hilton, pat mahomes , fournette, ertz, and kittle - will make up the top 24 picks in almost any draft.  

The problem is, that's 19 guys, and you've got pick 20. 

If i felt comfortable with all those guys at pick 20 then i would just take my guy at 5. There's nowhere near as much separation between them as adp suggests.

If i didn't, I would be less worried about maximizing the value of pick 5, and more worried about the value of pick 20. The chance that you get cook there is relatively slim, but if the difference between cook and your second favorite guy in tier 2 isn't that huge, then you should take your second favorite guy and hope cook falls.  

Because your second favorite guy in tier 2 plus cook is so much more valuable than cook plus your favorite guy in tier 3 that the risk is worth it. 

But again:

David Johnson is a difference maker.

Adams and Hopkins--difference makers.  

You've got guys with 1400 yard seasons and double digit TD seasons.  It's one thing to jump up for your difference maker in the 4th round when your guy goes in the 6th.  It's another to skip elite players in the first 5 picks of the draft.
I am only trying to show why someone would do so and why it is reasonable.  I am not saying there aren't other players that can/will have similar seasons in this specific example.

I was trying to use generic reasons but using specific names made it easier to write.

There's good logic behind the top 4 of McCaffrey Kamara Barkley and Elliott (if he signs). They've got the combination of past performance, perceived talent, receiving work, goal line work and volume. 

After that it's some combination of

David Johnson

Lev Bell 

Conner

Mixon

Gurley

Chubb

Cook

to round out the top 11 backs. 

There's also Hopkins Adams Thomas hill obj Julio and Juju,  Kelce, and Melvin Gordon if he reports. 

That is your consensus second tier.  Those 15 guys - plus the top 4 - plus some combination of Damien Williams, Evans, Antonio brown, ty Hilton, pat mahomes , fournette, ertz, and kittle - will make up the top 24 picks in almost any draft.  

The problem is, that's 19 guys, and you've got pick 20. 

If i felt comfortable with all those guys at pick 20 then i would just take my guy at 5. There's nowhere near as much separation between them as adp suggests.

If i didn't, I would be less worried about maximizing the value of pick 5, and more worried about the value of pick 20. The chance that you get cook there is relatively slim, but if the difference between cook and your second favorite guy in tier 2 isn't that huge, then you should take your second favorite guy and hope cook falls.  

Because your second favorite guy in tier 2 plus cook is so much more valuable than cook plus your favorite guy in tier 3 that the risk is worth it. 
This ⬆️ x ♾ 

Just as a data point, he lasted to 2.12 in my current draft. I'm annoyed now that I went wth David Johnson over Davante Adams only because I thought the tier of RBs through Cook would be gone by pick 20. As many have said, ADP is literally an average, meaning, many picks were below the ADP. You never know how an individual draft will go. So you have to decide just how good you feel about Cook.

Let's forget for a moment that I think taking Cook at 1.05 is a bit crazy. That's major reach here in my opinion and like many have said, take the best available at 1.05 especially in a PPR league and you might even get cook back for your second pick. If he's not back, in a PPR league, someone of same caliber will be there.  But ok, let's say you take Cook at 1.05.....here is what I hate when reaching a lot for a player, you then spend the rest of your draft catching up instead of being ahead. I have seen this countless times where someone reaches badly and then the stress is on the res of the draft to make up for it because you play catch up. If you don't reach, you can base your draft on best player available at every round versus overthinking everything because you reached and now you are not picking best available but instead trying to fill up holes you have because you have been behind the 8 ball the whole draft since your first reach pick at 1.05. 

My 2 cents

Is there?
In my estimation, yes. 

Some of that obviously has to do with your confidence level over a Fournette, Bell, Carson, etc holding value as a top 10 RB,  but once I get past the top six or seven wide receivers the drop off seems  more substantial. 

And even with those running backs, there’s another tier of potential breakout candidates (Montgomery, AJones, DWill) and PPR studs (White, Cohen, Lindsey, etc) whereas at wide receiver I’m having a much harder time this year identifying potential breakouts as I have in the past. 

Of course some running backs will spotter and some wide receivers will excel… It happens every year unexpectedly. 

But yes, as a general sentiment I believe running back is deeper than wide receiver this year 

3 reasons to pass on Cook in the 1st.

1. If you like him way more than his ADP, you're probably overrating him. I think this is true with Cook - injuries, hasn't been that great when he's been on the field, bad OL.

2. The way to have a great draft is to get players later than they "should" be going. Let's say Cook actually is the 5th best player, and should be going in the mid 1st even though he keeps falling to the mid 2nd. If you get Cook at 1.05 and a 2nd rounder at 2.08, then that is a solid start to the draft. If you get the 6th best player at 1.05 and a 2nd rounder at 2.08 then that is an okay (but slightly less good) start to the draft. If you get the 6th best player at 1.05 and then Cook at 2.08 then that is an amazing start to the draft - that's how you set your team apart. So it's worth taking a gamble on Cook falling to 2.08, even if there's only a 1/4 chance of him being there.

3. You can make trades. If you miss out on Cook in the 2nd then you can send his owner some offers. Or (depending on league rules) you could talk to some owners before the draft and see if you can reach an "agreement in principle" to make a trade after the draft (don't tell them who you're targeting until they're ready to agree to it).

Just as a data point, he lasted to 2.12 in my current draft. I'm annoyed now that I went wth David Johnson over Davante Adams only because I thought the tier of RBs through Cook would be gone by pick 20. As many have said, ADP is literally an average, meaning, many picks were below the ADP. You never know how an individual draft will go. So you have to decide just how good you feel about Cook.
Which is basically the same as 2.01 in a 12-team league.

the turn is where i tend to reach the most knowing how many picks I have between rounds. 

I could see Cook going in a lot of drafts at 1.12/2.01, but from mocking I’ve had much better results going WR/WR there. 

But like your example, that’s a personal anecdote/small sample size. 

In my estimation, yes. 
I think RB gets a lot riskier and a lot uglier a lot quicker. Random rankings:

RkPlayerTmBye

1 Saquon BarkleyNYG11

2 Christian McCaffreyCAR7

3 Alvin KamaraNO9

4 Ezekiel ElliottDAL8

Tier 2

5 David JohnsonARI12

6 James ConnerPIT7

7 Le'Veon BellNYJ4

8 Todd GurleyLAR9

9 Dalvin CookMIN12

10 Nick ChubbCLE7

Tier 3

11 Joe MixonCIN9

12 Damien WilliamsKC12

13 Melvin GordonLAC12

14 Kerryon JohnsonDET5

15 Aaron JonesGB11

16 Devonta FreemanATL9

17 Derrick HenryTEN11

18 Chris CarsonSEA11

19 Leonard FournetteJAC10

20 Marlon MackIND6

21 Mark IngramBAL8

Tier 4

22 Phillip LindsayDEN10

23 James WhiteNE10

24 Josh JacobsOAK6

25 Lamar MillerHOU10

26 Sony MichelNE10

27 David MontgomeryCHI6

28 Kenyan DrakeMIA5

Tier 5

29 Tarik CohenCHI6

30 Tevin ColemanSF4

v.

1 DeAndre HopkinsHOU10

2 Julio JonesATL9

3 Davante AdamsGB11

Tier 2

4 JuJu Smith-SchusterPIT7

5 Tyreek HillKC12

6 Michael ThomasNO9

7 Mike EvansTB7

8 Odell Beckham Jr.CLE7

9 Antonio BrownOAK6

Tier 3

10 Adam ThielenMIN12

11 Keenan AllenLAC12

12 T.Y. HiltonIND6

13 Amari CooperDAL8

14 Kenny GolladayDET5

Tier 4

15 Tyler LockettSEA11

16 Julian EdelmanNE10

17 Robert WoodsLAR9

18 Stefon DiggsMIN12

19 Brandin CooksLAR9

20 Chris GodwinTB7

21 Tyler BoydCIN9

22 D.J. MooreCAR7

23 Mike WilliamsLAC12

24 Alshon JefferyPHI10

25 Cooper KuppLAR9

26 Allen RobinsonCHI6

27 Sammy WatkinsKC12

28 Robby AndersonNYJ4

29 A.J. GreenCIN9

Tier 5

30 Calvin RidleyATL9

I think RB gets a lot riskier and a lot uglier a lot quicker. Random rankings:

RkPlayerTmBye

1 Saquon BarkleyNYG11

2 Christian McCaffreyCAR7

3 Alvin KamaraNO9

4 Ezekiel ElliottDAL8

Tier 2

5 David JohnsonARI12

6 James ConnerPIT7

7 Le'Veon BellNYJ4

8 Todd GurleyLAR9

9 Dalvin CookMIN12

10 Nick ChubbCLE7

Tier 3

11 Joe MixonCIN9

12 Damien WilliamsKC12

13 Melvin GordonLAC12

14 Kerryon JohnsonDET5

15 Aaron JonesGB11

16 Devonta FreemanATL9

17 Derrick HenryTEN11

18 Chris CarsonSEA11

19 Leonard FournetteJAC10

20 Marlon MackIND6

21 Mark IngramBAL8

Tier 4

22 Phillip LindsayDEN10

23 James WhiteNE10

24 Josh JacobsOAK6

25 Lamar MillerHOU10

26 Sony MichelNE10

27 David MontgomeryCHI6

28 Kenyan DrakeMIA5

Tier 5

29 Tarik CohenCHI6

30 Tevin ColemanSF4

v.

1 DeAndre HopkinsHOU10

2 Julio JonesATL9

3 Davante AdamsGB11

Tier 2

4 JuJu Smith-SchusterPIT7

5 Tyreek HillKC12

6 Michael ThomasNO9

7 Mike EvansTB7

8 Odell Beckham Jr.CLE7

9 Antonio BrownOAK6

Tier 3

10 Adam ThielenMIN12

11 Keenan AllenLAC12

12 T.Y. HiltonIND6

13 Amari CooperDAL8

14 Kenny GolladayDET5

Tier 4

15 Tyler LockettSEA11

16 Julian EdelmanNE10

17 Robert WoodsLAR9

18 Stefon DiggsMIN12

19 Brandin CooksLAR9

20 Chris GodwinTB7

21 Tyler BoydCIN9

22 D.J. MooreCAR7

23 Mike WilliamsLAC12

24 Alshon JefferyPHI10

25 Cooper KuppLAR9

26 Allen RobinsonCHI6

27 Sammy WatkinsKC12

28 Robby AndersonNYJ4

29 A.J. GreenCIN9

Tier 5

30 Calvin RidleyATL9
I see about 25 high floor PPR RBs & maybe 18 high floor PPR WRs.

But we all rate players differently.  :shrug:

while related I don’t wanna hijack this topic too much.

so for the point of this topic, you have 21 RBs in the top 3 tiers, with several in tier 3 who could be top 10 if things break right. 

By comparison you’ve got just 14 WRs in the top 3 tiers.

now when you compare those lists to ADP, to see what the drop-off is between round 1-2 for RB/WR,  I believe you’ll see what I’m getting at in suggesting reaching for Cook at 1.05 is a bad plan. 

Sure. But if you feel more confident he can be top 5 then the RB's sitting there at 1.5, you can't take that chance. You have to consider taking him if you want him. 
This is true as well. If you really want someone you need to scrap ADP for the most part and just go for it. Not as much early on but the later rounds people can start going 4 and 5 rounds early. 

This is true as well. If you really want someone you need to scrap ADP for the most part and just go for it. Not as much early on but the later rounds people can start going 4 and 5 rounds early. 
I sincerely hope every manager in my league has this midset on Sunday, and reaches several rounds for every one of their picks. :wub:  

I sincerely hope every manager in my league has this midset on Sunday, and reaches several rounds for every one of their picks. :wub:  
I’m not saying everyone is going to do this, and not every player goes 4 or 5 rounds early obviously, but I have lost out on players I was targeting multiple rounds earlier than I ever expected them to go. It happens once almost every year. 

Users who are viewing this thread