What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trading draft pick order once randomly drawn (1 Viewer)

Team Smokin'

Footballguy
Does this ever happen? Is it acceptable to most sites to be able to do this? As Commish of a 12-team Yahoo league I am thinking of suggesting it for insurance in case I end up with 5, 6. 7, 8, 9, or even 10 and 4. That's a 50/50. Like if I got 6 then I would look to trade with the Manager who got 11 or 12 and may not understand this strategy? Or the guy who got 4 who doesn't want Zeke?

Have any of you ever traded draft order? As Commish of Yahoo am I allowed to put that out there and then can I change the draft order if there is a trade?

The best leagues allow for trading of draft picks.  Variable keepers notwithstanding, no reason that trading all picks for all of someone else's should be prohibited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just change the draft order method to allow teams to choose their spot.  It works really well.  You draw the 1 you get first choice of spots.

Regarding trading it should be allowed and is ok to do.

Gally said:
Just change the draft order method to allow teams to choose their spot.  It works really well.  You draw the 1 you get first choice of spots.

Regarding trading it should be allowed and is ok to do.

Your first suggestion here is exactly what we do in our biggest league. About 10 days prior to our scheduled online draft, we have a "random order lottery pull" . I get someone who is NOT a league member, to pull names out of a hat. Then I contact each person as their name has been pulled, and tell them what spots are available.  (You get pulled first, you get your choice of any spot, then the next guy pulled can pick from any spot available, and so on, and so on)  The only person that essentially has no choice, is the guy who is pulled last.  Side note - the guy that got pulled #1 last year in our league, was pulled dead last this year. :D

I play in several leagues a year, with many of the same guys, and they all like this. It has went over extremely well, as it gives them a bit of control in their biggest league.

In the smaller leagues, we don't usually do this.  I actually like both ways, as I feel I can adjust faster "on-the-fly" than some of the other owners can. But I don't mind the slot selection either.

As far as trading of draft spots, I think it can and should be allowed, but only when everyone agrees.  Thats one idea I haven't sold everyone on yet in our leagues.

The overwhelming feeling from some of these guys is they don't want the "hassle" of going to that much effort of offering and swapping picks. They feel like they might get taken advantage of.

At this stage, its just not something most of my league mates want to do.

TZM

In theory, all spots are considered "equal". If 2 owners agree to trade entire drafts, it shouldn't matter what others owners think. Let everyone know it is an option and you won't have any trouble.
Right, and I understand completely. But IT DOES MATTER TO WHAT THE PLAYERS AGREE TO WHEN THEY SIGN UP AND PAY THEIR ENTRY FEES.

Multiple owners in this particular league do not want to allow that, regardless of what you and I think. (They essentially said they won't play, and rather than lose 1/3rd of the league, we just play as is, with no draft pick trading)

I agree with you 100% Ben & Jerry, but multiple owners would rather not participate, then take that aspect on board.

On that note, it is a fairly long standing league (though not compared to many), I think we have played for 7-8 + years, possibly more but I can't remember offhand. (I'm in a number of multi-year leagues) Its all a generally good group of guys that like one another. Rather than upset the apple cart, I just haven't proposed it to everyone yet.

Sooner or later I will, but many of these guys are extremely slow to embrace change.  It is what it is.   ;)

TZM

Wait, so you’re only suggesting this because of where you may draft?

sorry but being a commissioner is about  the betterment of the league, not only you

put it to a league vote before implementing anything 

Oh, and ftr, we trade draft picks all the time in my leagues 

Wait, so you’re only suggesting this because of where you may draft?

sorry but being a commissioner is about  the betterment of the league, not only you

put it to a league vote before implementing anything 

Oh, and ftr, we trade draft picks all the time in my leagues 
I agree. We have offered draft order trades in the past, but no one bit. Just thinking of putting it out there before hand with new members for everyone to vote on. 

The overwhelming feeling from some of these guys is they don't want the "hassle" of going to that much effort of offering and swapping picks. They feel like they might get taken advantage of.

At this stage, its just not something most of my league mates want to do.

TZM
Instead of proposing trading draft picks propose trading draft slots only.  There is no taking advantage of anyone.  It's as if each team just pulled a different card.  There is no advantage or disadvantage it is just a personal preference of when you pick.  

Nobody should have any issue with this.

Instead of proposing trading draft picks propose trading draft slots only.  There is no taking advantage of anyone.  It's as if each team just pulled a different card.  There is no advantage or disadvantage it is just a personal preference of when you pick.  

Nobody should have any issue with this.
some people are just #######s about anything. This is a good litmus test to see who needs removed for next year.

Multiple owners in this particular league do not want to allow that, regardless of what you and I think. (They essentially said they won't play, and rather than lose 1/3rd of the league, we just play as is, with no draft pick trading)
You have owners that would quit the league if two teams agreed to trade entire draft slots. :lmao:  Talk about being giant babies over nothing - frankly you're better off letting them walk.

You guys are funny.

So essentially, I have a league, where guys have been playing together on going on 10 years...... everyone gets along, they always pay their dues, there is never  any controversy (or extremely rarely) there is virtually never any collusion.  (Hey, a fantasy league with no issues, imagine that)

Yet a few of you basically would want some to walk, or possibly lose 1/3rd of the league or better, just because some don't want to conform to the way of how YOU personally believe how a league should be run.   GOT IT. 

I look at everything involved.  Most of these guys are competitive, but they certainly aren't as "sophisticated" as some of the guys here.  Sometimes you are better off accepting what you have, rather than risking losing it entirely. Here's a suggestion, how about asking the owners (open to it)  if they want to be in another league where draft slots can be traded, picks etc.?

Again, I'm open to it, I just know several players aren't.  I'm personally not willing to risk a league disbanding,  (that I know I am a favorite in each year to make the playoffs and cash) rather I'd prefer to accept how many owners want to play.

In said league, we also start 3 WRs and NO FLEX . The majority of the league is happy with that as well.

There are hundreds of ways to play the game we all come here and discuss.  Just because some don't want to trade draft slots, doesn't make it wrong, its just not what you personally prefer.

TZM

It’s really not that important either way. You know your league best.
Yes sir, thats kind of how I feel.

As someone that makes  a profit long term on the leagues I play in, (this one included) I certainly don't want to walk away from yet another league that I figure to be a long term favorite in....or see it disband over an implemented rule change or the addition of draft slot trading.

Would it actually disband?  Maybe maybe not, but me , and 1-2 other guys have to do the local digging, to find active participants when one drops out. Its a "sizable" league, and finding guys looking to play for the stakes we play for isn't always easy.

Unlike some of the players here on this site, I am not really looking to play in 20-30+ leagues....Nor do I think there is only one way to enjoy our game. (I play poker for a living, fantasy is NOT my job, nor do I want it to be).......doing 30+ leagues doesn't sound appealing to ME  at least.

I will take my 5+ leagues , and be content with those.  Fortunately, the leagues I am in, we have kept out the riff raff and we have virtually no problems year in and year out. (there is something to be said for that also in my opinion)

I like the idea of trading draft slots, but its just not for this particular league at this time.

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread