What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Ball. The final frontier. (1 Viewer)

Daywalker

Footballguy
Do hosting sites support best ball live scoring?

It is the last twist I want my league to go to.

More strategy.  More league activity.  Every roster spot counts.

Like 2 qb is becoming more popular so will best ball.

Our league does both. I port the draft over from the standard league on ESPN to an MFL best-ball right after the draft (it’s a deep league - 21-man rosters - so that helps).

Smaller stakes - $25 pp vs. $150 for the main league; winner take all. Highly recommend it.

In the middle of a Dynasty BB slow draft right now over at FFPC. I only want to manage one or two teams throughout the year, so BB is great imo.

I understand BB as a change of pace and a supplement to your regular leagues but much of the fun is deciding your weekly lineups in FF.  Completely doing away with that seems like it would be boring.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would choose alternative instead of supplement.  I don't find choosing line-ups to be "fun" (not that I haven't had success at it...I have), especially when several of your key players are facing the dreaded GTD and you have to work on Sunday morning/afternoon.  Or take this example:
Ten years ago, one of our long-time league members was in the championship game.  Unfortunately, he had to be out of town for the week-end for family obligations.  One of his key players (I forget who it was) was suspended or had a late injury.  It was very clear through his play during the season who he would have subbed in had he been available to know about it-then react to it.  The sub player scored 15 points, but because he was out of town, no switch was made.  I tried to contact him, but I couldn't reach him.  He lost by 13.  He quit the next day.
This was the primary catalyst to switch to a Best Ball format.  All of the guys in our league love playing in it.  Not one has even hinted at wanting to do line-ups.  It took me two years to convince the long-time member to come back and it still burns him to this day, even though he's won a couple of championships since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quitting because you couldn't change your lineup because you were doing so.ething else and being pissed about it is stupid.  I could understand some difficulties like that 10 years ago but with smart phones and access to info 24/7 this problem really isn't a problem anymore.  It takes 2 minutes to check status and alter a lineup.  Its what managing a team is.  

If all you want to do is draft and forget it that's fine but to me that is really no fun.  The week to week starting decisions is fun and separates good owners from bad.  

I do understand that if you don't have the time and don't like making tough decisions that best ball alleviates that for you.  To me that is just boring.......if that was the only league type I was in.

BB is great for those of us addicted to drafting but I definitely would not say it leads to "more league activity". 

I get the theory but in practice it just makes it easier for people who are in multiple leagues to put that one on the back burner since the team will basically run itself. 

Quitting because you couldn't change your lineup because you were doing so.ething else and being pissed about it is stupid.  I could understand some difficulties like that 10 years ago but with smart phones and access to info 24/7 this problem really isn't a problem anymore.  It takes 2 minutes to check status and alter a lineup.  Its what managing a team is.  

If all you want to do is draft and forget it that's fine but to me that is really no fun.  The week to week starting decisions is fun and separates good owners from bad.  

I do understand that if you don't have the time and don't like making tough decisions that best ball alleviates that for you.  To me that is just boring.......if that was the only league type I was in.
I know times have changed and line-up stuff is easier to access, but, again, those in my league who have done both MUCH prefer the best-ball format to choosing line-ups.  It's not close.

I think there is a  misconception that Best Ball is draft and forget.  We still do waivers and trades through the season.  It's not a draft and forget thing.  All you are doing is replacing the choosing players that week with having your best players score for you.  Everything else is the same.

Also, half my league does work regularly on Sundays and don't have quick access to make changes on the fly.  Especially between 10am and 2pm when all the last minute news and GTD's are hitting the wire.  Gotta love the restaurant world.

BB is great for those of us addicted to drafting but I definitely would not say it leads to "more league activity". 

I get the theory but in practice it just makes it easier for people who are in multiple leagues to put that one on the back burner since the team will basically run itself. 
The average number of transactions for each team in our league is about 119 for the season, which is about 7 per week.  Last year, I did almost 200 waiver moves.  The draft will get you about 40 percent there- it's the waiver wire/trade management that wins a championship.  No different than any other league.  For what it's worth, the waiver wire is pretty cut-throat in our league.

I understand BB as a change of pace and a supplement to your regular leagues but much of the fun is deciding your weekly lineups in FF.  Completely doing away with that seems like it would be boring.
I completely disagree with this. All non-BestBall leagues just involve trying to read the teal leaves all week as far as which coaches are lying about the relative health of their players and how much workload will be parsed based on that health. Take that headache and compound it exponentially when you are guessing the health of players on Sunday and deciding if you really want to start the healthy guy on Thursday night with almost no time to prepare/recuperate. 

I won't even join any leagues that aren't BestBall anymore. It makes all game days so much more fun. People like to pretend they are using a ton of "strategy" when guessing who to start but more often than not it's more of a guess than the move made by some mastermind. I would argue that it takes more strategy to build solid depth on your roster than guessing who is going to have one good game.

Until recently the vast majority of BestBall leagues were draft-and-go.

I will admit BestBall is about building a team with depth, rather than a starting lineup and churning the waiver wire over and over all season long. To me building a team with depth is more like real football. Those 12 or 14 team leagues where folks stream QB's are just a joke.

This year, i'm ADDing a Best Ball league to our already normal season long league to supplement it.
BUT...........we are doing something slightly different:

BB League #1:  Draft before the season.....League runs during NFL Wks 1-8     <--=When done, we will crown a champ & pay out $$
BB League #2:  Draft before NFL wk 9......League runs during NFL Wks 9-16     <--=When done, we will crown a champ & pay out $$

IMO, the draft is the most enjoyable part of the season........but we don't want owners losing interest when they draft in the preseason and then half their players aren't playing at the end of the season (injured, got benched, etc).  Having 2 drafts allows people to "re-buy" into the league.

Just throwing this out there........but i know to each his own

Not really. Managing your total roster becomes just as important, if not more. Especially when you can pick up players on Sunday afternoon, Sun night, and Mon night. Eg. Your TE or K has a crappy game. Do you pick someone up that might give you more points that week to help you win, but it will come at the cost of dropping someone with longer term appeal. There is a lot more strategy than you would think.  Another example would be, do you draft a handcuff or perhaps a player that can contribute as a flex play every week with perhaps a lower ceiling.

We switched to BB scoring last year and everyone loved and preferred it. While there absolutely is strategy involved in choosing your second flex or going with a a back-up player instead of a guy later that is a game time decision, it's offset by BB roster strategy. Plus, and more importantly, if you lose your RB in the first quarter and maybe your WR at the half, it's not an automatic loss in BB as long as you have good depth. To me there was nothing more aggravating than taking a loss because you lose a player or two in your lineup that week. To each their own though.

179 transactions including 19 trades in my Best Ball league since we opened this year on May 3, not including the draft....

I completely disagree with this. All non-BestBall leagues just involve trying to read the teal leaves all week as far as which coaches are lying about the relative health of their players and how much workload will be parsed based on that health. Take that headache and compound it exponentially when you are guessing the health of players on Sunday and deciding if you really want to start the healthy guy on Thursday night with almost no time to prepare/recuperate. 

I won't even join any leagues that aren't BestBall anymore. It makes all game days so much more fun. People like to pretend they are using a ton of "strategy" when guessing who to start but more often than not it's more of a guess than the move made by some mastermind. I would argue that it takes more strategy to build solid depth on your roster than guessing who is going to have one good game.
I would say all versions of fantasy sports is the bolded.  Whether you have to pick a starting lineup or not you still have to wade through all the coach speak.

Obviously everyone has different likes and for me I enjoy weekly lineup decisions.

I know times have changed and line-up stuff is easier to access, but, again, those in my league who have done both MUCH prefer the best-ball format to choosing line-ups.  It's not close.

I think there is a  misconception that Best Ball is draft and forget.  We still do waivers and trades through the season.  It's not a draft and forget thing.  All you are doing is replacing the choosing players that week with having your best players score for you.  Everything else is the same.

Also, half my league does work regularly on Sundays and don't have quick access to make changes on the fly.  Especially between 10am and 2pm when all the last minute news and GTD's are hitting the wire.  Gotta love the restaurant world.
As an alternative, try a substitution rule. It's been implemented in several of my leagues and will be in every league I commish ever. I work night shift (RN) and hate having those GTDs forcing me to wake up to check active lists. I also fnd it annoying when the best backup to a GTD is playing on Thursday.

The basic rule is this: You can "backup" up to three players weekly. A simple post in a thread on the league site works. If player A is inactive, player B is automatically inserted in his place. This allows backing up a Monday player with a Thursday player, or letting a night shifter sleep in a little. We had a guy in one league who was at an actual NFL game and couldnt get adequate phone signal to check in and change a lineup.

Such a rule keeps the lineups in play without going best ball, but allows enough flexibility to be far more personal schedule-friendly. The perfect solution IMHO

I would say all versions of fantasy sports is the bolded.  Whether you have to pick a starting lineup or not you still have to wade through all the coach speak.
That's fair.

And while it's true there is some element of guess-timation in all fantasy sports I think if you make a stand on a player generally speaking the cream rises to the top. People can squack all they want that Drake should have had a ton more workload(an extreme example) but those same people were gambling that Drake>>>>>>>>Gore last season when in reality Drake>Gore last season and workload reflected that.

Honestly, if all that best ball did was erase the losses when your QB or your stud RB got knocked out in the first quarter..... it would be well worth it imo. In a real game of football it's "next man up". BestBall is a reflection of that.

That's fair.

And while it's true there is some element of guess-timation in all fantasy sports I think if you make a stand on a player generally speaking the cream rises to the top. People can squack all they want that Drake should have had a ton more workload(an extreme example) but those same people were gambling that Drake>>>>>>>>Gore last season when in reality Drake>Gore last season and workload reflected that.

Honestly, if all that best ball did was erase the losses when your QB or your stud RB got knocked out in the first quarter..... it would be well worth it imo. In a real game of football it's "next man up". BestBall is a reflection of that.
Also a good reason to switch to team positions like qb and kicker. 

Best ball with in-season roster management :thumbup:  Only way I'll play fantasy football anymore.

Why more sites don't offer this I'll never know.

Users who are viewing this thread