Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
CurlyNight

Avoiding medicare part B penalty, help

My dad will need medicare b in a couple months. He's been working from age 65 to a couple months ago, age 80 and has always had health insurance through the employers. 

I'm being told he needs to prove it from age 65. At least 1 place is no longer around and employers and insurance companies only keep records for 7 years from what I read. So how on earth can he prove health insurance coverage since 2004! Like many I'm sure, he didn't think to hang on to stuff this long. Is he hosed? 

TIA!

Assuming he saw a doctor during this time, can't they at least provide to him who paid the claim and work backwards from there?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Can he contact those insurance companies?

That's the only thing I could think of. For the past 15 years he's worked in a few places and had different health insurances. I googled a list of common health insurance companies for group coverage for employees and sent it to bro. They only keep records of claims fot 7 years. Don't need claims. Seems he calls, gives his social, and in the archives will provide the dates he had health insurance with them. So he's got a list to call.

Can't think of another way. Doc offices purge records once there's 7 years of inactivity and I know he's had more than 1 pcp in the past 15 years.

Ideally he should have kept policy numbers once he hit 65 still working till now at 80. 🙄

Contact the pharmacy he uses.  They usually have old records related to prescription drug orders and payments, especially if it’s a Walgreens or something. You can order his old prescription file and it’s possible they will have insurance payments.   

• Like 1

Also, if you can piece together back before the ACA (maybe even after) insurance companies found out who your previous insurer was for purposes of pre-existing condition coverage. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NutterButter said:

How about contacting the fine folks at medicare and hearing what they suggest?  I'd think it would be worth a shot.

True.  I'm sure their hold music is snazzy.

1 minute ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

True.  I'm sure their hold music is snazzy.

Probably a lot of Kanye now that Trump is calling the shots

Edited by NutterButter
  • Laughing 1