What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Diet Mountain Dew (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I love this stuff.  It is the bomb.  

3 weeks ago, got a 12 pack and popped one of the cans only to get a weird taste.  It was like someone dropped a sweet tart in the Dew mix.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I was expecting.  Turns out, it was all of the cans in the 12 pack, as you'd expect.  We always buy two 12 packs of the stuff, so when I eventually opened the second pack, it was surprising to find that that one also had the odd taste.  I notified MD and they sent me coupons for like 5 free 12 packs.  

But here's where it gets weird.  When on vacation, my SIL tells me that she got a bad batch of MD and it tasted sour.  They live in Ohio.  Over the past couple of weeks, we've bought 12 packs from different area grocery stores and each pack has had a sour taste to it, albeit less and less over the weeks.  Also, I bought two 16 oz. plastic bottles during this time period while golfing and they both tasted fine.  So it seems to be just the cans.

Anyone else drink this stuff and notice a taste difference?  Again, it's not bad.  It's just not expected.  And it makes me wonder if more sugar is getting in than what they want to serve.  Or what's listed on the label.  I mean, I guess they wouldn't do like a recall of the stuff unless it was bad for you.  But it just seems weird that they're able to sell this "bad batch" without the consumers talking about it.  I mean, in this day and age, people compl-itch about anything and everything online.  

I generally only drink the bottles.  I don't like soda in a can if I can get away with it.  I tend to get a little metallic taste, but it might just be in my head.

I worked in food manufacturing, and depending on how they do the cleaning of the filler (the machine that fills the cans), it is possible that there was some residue of something on the nozzles that was causing a sour taste.  It is also possible they just messed up the batch, but there are QA checks pretty frequently that should prevent that kind of difference in taste.  

It could have been a bad batch of cans that had some film from the processing on the inside of the cans and it is causing the sour taste.

Artificial sweeteners can add a bit of a sour taste (for those not used to them) and maybe they just missed the proportions on their batching.  I am not sure how they do it at the mountain dew plant, but if its mixed in large batches and then sent to the filler, then it would likely just be on one type of bottle/can.  if it is continuous mixing, then it is possible they had the setting too high on the machine that adds the sweetener, or something else.  I agree if they thought it was bad or there was a health risk, they would have put out a recall, so until you start growing a third ball, I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, diet mountain dew makes my pee smell funny.

TIA

Don't drink it anymore, gave up caffeine.  But, this post, bad taste and all, has me Jonesing for a Diet Dew.

My wife gave it up as well.  Holy cow, did she used to drink a lot.  We'd get a 36 pack at Sam's Club and it wouldn't last the week.

I generally only drink the bottles.  I don't like soda in a can if I can get away with it.  I tend to get a little metallic taste, but it might just be in my head.

I worked in food manufacturing, and depending on how they do the cleaning of the filler (the machine that fills the cans), it is possible that there was some residue of something on the nozzles that was causing a sour taste.  It is also possible they just messed up the batch, but there are QA checks pretty frequently that should prevent that kind of difference in taste.  

It could have been a bad batch of cans that had some film from the processing on the inside of the cans and it is causing the sour taste.

Artificial sweeteners can add a bit of a sour taste (for those not used to them) and maybe they just missed the proportions on their batching.  I am not sure how they do it at the mountain dew plant, but if its mixed in large batches and then sent to the filler, then it would likely just be on one type of bottle/can.  if it is continuous mixing, then it is possible they had the setting too high on the machine that adds the sweetener, or something else.  I agree if they thought it was bad or there was a health risk, they would have put out a recall, so until you start growing a third ball, I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, diet mountain dew makes my pee smell funny.

TIA
This is my thought, because it's not a bad taste.  At first it was odd, but after you drink it for a while, you tend to realize that it just seems like one of the flavors is stronger than it usually is.  

I haven't noticed any taste difference, but I drink the regular version.

I hate coffee, so I need MtD for the caffeine.

They make a caffeine-free version.
First of all, shut your pie hole.  I'm trying to cut down on pop. (We have Diet 7up and diet root beer in the house, but they aren't nearly as good, so I will have one occasionally vs essentially mainlining Diet Dew constantly).

Second of all, it is much harder to find.

Drink the regular stuff.  Back in college I used to drink Surge - do they even make that anymore?

Someone in Michigan or somewhere else that sells caffeine free Dew (non diet) could make some nice side cash selling it online (Amazon/ebay). You could charge $20/12 pack all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon has 5 in stock. :pickle:
Diet Caffeine Free isn't that hard to find, the regular Dew Caffeine Free is like gold. Down south is about the only place to find it and only usually 2 liter bottles. They haven't had it here in the northeast for several years but use to load up on the annual pilgrimage to Indianapolis and Myrtle Beach. Haven't found it the last few years in Indy and couldn't find it although two stores had a place on the shelf this year in Myrtle.  Every once in a great while WalMart online will have it usually with free shipping. Last fall I bought ten 12 packs that way at $5 each.

Diet Caffeine Free isn't that hard to find, the regular Dew Caffeine Free is like gold. Down south is about the only place to find it and only usually 2 liter bottles. They haven't had it here in the northeast for several years but use to load up on the annual pilgrimage to Indianapolis and Myrtle Beach. Haven't found it the last few years in Indy and couldn't find it although two stores had a place on the shelf this year in Myrtle.  Every once in a great while WalMart online will have it usually with free shipping. Last fall I bought ten 12 packs that way at $5 each.
Yep, Ive been looking for it online for years and have never been able to find any. I have my sister ship me some form Michigan every once in a while, its the only way I can get it.

I used to drink regular MD often, but  in my mid-20s something in it started kicking of terrible migraines for me.  I ended up in the emergency room the first time because I was going blind and had no idea what was going on.  I can drink coffee all day so it's not the caffeine, but some other ingredient.  One of my nephews had the same problem. 

Wait you’re a super flavor guy or whatever you said and you drink.... Diet Mountain Dew????

“I have this incredibly complex and textured palate which you couldn’t possibly begin to understand so therefore I won’t ever try an Impossible Burger and also I drink Diet Mountain Dew”
A super taster does not have a complex palate.  All it means is that we have different taste buds.  Usually a lot more of them, too.  They call it a "super taster" because we have a reaction to a chemical that most people don't.  Super tasters tend to like things more bland.  For me, a lot of food textures are disgusting.  And on top of that, certain leafy greens have a bitter taste.  Not sure where you got that we have a complex and textured palate.

A super taster does not have a complex palate.  All it means is that we have different taste buds.  Usually a lot more of them, too.  They call it a "super taster" because we have a reaction to a chemical that most people don't.  Super tasters tend to like things more bland.  For me, a lot of food textures are disgusting.  And on top of that, certain leafy greens have a bitter taste.  Not sure where you got that we have a complex and textured palate.
Just busting your chops man. I remember you having more of a sense of humor. 

Anyone here had SunDrop? I can usually only get it when I visit the in-laws in WI.
It's my daughter's favorite soda.  One of the grocery stores in town stopped selling it after my daughter stopped working there.  :D  

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a bad one or different one like you describe in the past, so I get what you are saying.

Diet mt dew is one of the only diet sodas out there that actually tastes close to real, so it is my go to drink these days. Not healthy for certain, but better than drinking tons or regular coke like I used to do.

I have had a bad one or different one like you describe in the past, so I get what you are saying.

Diet mt dew is one of the only diet sodas out there that actually tastes close to real, so it is my go to drink these days. Not healthy for certain, but better than drinking tons or regular coke like I used to do.
Probably a year ago I had a 12 pack that tasted like seltzer water with a hint of citrus.  It was horrible.  Had to throw it all away.  But these weren't bad.  Anytime I've ever had "bad" soda, it's always been something that had to be tossed.  But this was good enough to drink.  It actually kind of reminded me of Code Red.  God, I wish they made a diet version of that.

And, yeah, I love diet MD.  I've always been a soda drinker.  I definitely wouldn't call this healthy, but it's better than drinking 4 Cokes a day.  I drink Power Ade Zero at work, but at home, I need soda.  And it has to be either a diet Root Beer, diet Ginger Ale, diet Dr. Pepper or diet MD.  Those are the only ones that actually taste close to the real thing.  

Probably a year ago I had a 12 pack that tasted like seltzer water with a hint of citrus.  It was horrible.  Had to throw it all away.  But these weren't bad.  Anytime I've ever had "bad" soda, it's always been something that had to be tossed.  But this was good enough to drink.  It actually kind of reminded me of Code Red.  God, I wish they made a diet version of that.

And, yeah, I love diet MD.  I've always been a soda drinker.  I definitely wouldn't call this healthy, but it's better than drinking 4 Cokes a day.  I drink Power Ade Zero at work, but at home, I need soda.  And it has to be either a diet Root Beer, diet Ginger Ale, diet Dr. Pepper or diet MD.  Those are the only ones that actually taste close to the real thing.  
I put Diet 7up in the category as well.  Best enjoyed on a hot day.  Regular Sprite is better than regular 7up, but Diet 7up is better than Sprite Zero.

It actually kind of reminded me of Code Red.  God, I wish they made a diet version of that.
This does exist!  I found a couple of Speedways in Dayton, OH that sold Diet Code Red Mt Dew.  It was awesome!  Best version I've ever tasted.  Can't seem to find it in Cincinnati, though :kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread