What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ow! That toaster’s hot! Let’s make some toast! (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Title says it all. 

What 2019 player are you taking a shot on that’s burned you before, but you’re going back in on? 

Reed seems like a name that belongs in here since he just suffered yet another concussion.

Who else? Dalvin Cook? Gurley? Keenan Allen? 

Who’ve you been burned by in the past that’s a current target & why? How many times can you burn yourself before deciding the toaster is hot?

ETA: henceforth these players shall be known as “toasters”. 👍🏼

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to say OJ Howard, but his injury history isn’t factored into his draft price so I’ll likely avoid him.

So instead I’ll go with “any pats RB” - because every time I “end up” with a Pats RB, they work out great (White last year) but any time I target a Pats RB, i get hosed.

and this year i’m targeting both Michele & White. 

And I know that one, or both, will find a way to burn me. Because the patriots simply can’t be trusted with RBs. 

Ow! That toaster’s Hot! 

Jordan Reed.

Price is so low that if I miss on the early TEs I like I’m willing to wait into kicker/defense territory, grab Reed and target TEs in trade for any breakouts my bench produces.
I was going to go all in on Jordan Reed -- totally flying under the radar despite shining in camp, was staying healthy, could be grabbed super late to build depth at other positions and still give you top 10 performance with Top 5 upside...

...and then he went and got a concussion yesterday in P3. That's only his 3rd, AFAIK, but again, that's his third, which makes the injury a little more susceptible to happen again.

Starting to fade him.

For me? Derrick Henry and David Johnson are two guys I see fall a lot to me in mocks who I would take, but verrrrry nervous about their ability to play to potential given disappointing pasts and questions marks on their offenses. 

I was going to go all in on Jordan Reed -- totally flying under the radar despite shining in camp, was staying healthy, could be grabbed super late to build depth at other positions and still give you top 10 performance with Top 5 upside...

...and then he went and got a concussion yesterday in P3. That's only his 3rd, AFAIK, but again, that's his third, which makes the injury a little more susceptible to happen again.

Starting to fade him.

For me? Derrick Henry and David Johnson are two guys I see fall a lot to me in mocks who I would take, but verrrrry nervous about their ability to play to potential given disappointing pasts and questions marks on their offenses. 
Yeah...I am on my working schedule and hadn’t caught up on preseason action from last night.  Another Reed concussion... not good.  Guy can’t even get out of preseason healthy.

Sign me up for Hayden Hurst in that case.  Post hype sleeper.

Gurley-  he cost me a championship last year (largely due to my own mistake but still due to his knee) and I’m keeping him his year in the same league.  Ride or die I guess....

Allen Robinson. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt since he was coming off an injury 
Now that you mention it, this is a bottle of aloe looking for a burned finger for me, too. 

Already drafted him in dynasty start-up, and will be targeting him in redraft on Sunday as well. 

I believe he performed well considering the first year off injury + rookie QB + 1st year playbook. 

His performance in the playoffs is largely forgotten but one FBG reminded me recently that were it not for a missed FG, all we’d remember from that game was AR-15 making clutch grab after clutch grab.

Underrated this year. I have him more as a sleeper than a toaster. 

corey davis for me. we want some mo', we want some mo', we want some mo'!

1-2 months ago it would have also been Guice but I've wised up to that. I'd still take him but not the prices I was offering previous 

Josh Gordon

Bought low on him multiple times in multiple leagues, and always sold once his value spiked.  May ride out the wave this time.  ??
Josh Gordon is the ultimate toaster. 

If his ADP stays constant I will also risk burning my 6th finger on him. 

The ceiling for his ADP is just too damn high. 

Of course, his floor is bottom basement if he gets too damn high, so... :doh:  

Melvin Gordon. Has always screwed us getting hurt in first week of the playoffs. This year, he may start playing just before the playoffs, so he'll be fresh and getting into his groove at the end of the season.

Melvin Gordon. Has always screwed us getting hurt in first week of the playoffs. This year, he may start playing just before the playoffs, so he'll be fresh and getting into his groove at the end of the season.
There may be many quotable moments in this topic. 

i could easily see this being one of them. 

;)  

Which of course endures that THIS is finally the year he pays off. 

:lol:  
It's different this time, he didn't know the playbook last year, he played catch with Tom Brady over the summer, he looks in great shape on Instagram, etc. It will be the year 2027 and people will still be like, "if he gets the suspension reduced from 8 games to 4, I think he is worth a 10th rounder because remember how good he was a dozen years ago? He has WR1 upside."

I wish him the best, but he's not going to be on any of my teams. 

I'm not even going to apologize for drafting Josh Gordon.  He has the talent to be a top-5 wide receiver.  With Gronk gone and another year of building chemistry with Brady, his target share could rise dramatically.  I'm not going to deny that he has a 50% chance of getting suspended again.  I'll take that chance in the 7th round.  Other options in the 7th round have a 50% chance of sucking because they might actually suck.  And the other options don't have top-5 potential.

I'm not even going to apologize for drafting Josh Gordon.  He has the talent to be a top-5 wide receiver.  With Gronk gone and another year of building chemistry with Brady, his target share could rise dramatically.  I'm not going to deny that he has a 50% chance of getting suspended again.  I'll take that chance in the 7th round.  Other options in the 7th round have a 50% chance of sucking because they might actually suck.  And the other options don't have top-5 potential.
Sounding a little defensive there, doc 

it’s ok - you’re among friends. We all have toasters in our past/present closet. 

Sounding a little defensive there, doc 

it’s ok - you’re among friends. We all have toasters in our past/present closet. 
I had this one toaster in high school.  She kept doing me wrong and cheating on me.  Each time I'd say I wasn't going to take her back.  But I always took her back because sex in high school with a hot chick ain't that easy to come by.  And top-5 receivers aren't that easy to get either.  Josh Gordon, will you be my date to the prom?

I had this one toaster in high school.  She kept doing me wrong and cheating on me.  Each time I'd say I wasn't going to take her back.  But I always took her back because sex in high school with a hot chick ain't that easy to come by.  And top-5 receivers aren't that easy to get either.  Josh Gordon, will you be my date to the prom?
I’m tellin ya....Josh Gordon is the poster boy for FF Toasters

went all in on Dalvin Cook in 2018. hell with early drafts. going all in on Dalvin Cook in 2019! okay, technically not "all" in since Cook goes from my RB1 to RB2 now. traded for CMC during the season before he blew up early in the season. but if Cook performs, trophy is mine!

Starting to fade him.

Well I hate to be the be the harbinger of bad news, but he has had at least 5 concussions, and I think yesterday was his 6th.  (I thought this was #7, but I did some digging, looks like 3 priors in the NFL before yesterday and 2 in college)

I said it in the preseason thread, he is heading down the road towards being a vegetable. Its sad really.   Teams should be held responsible for putting guys like this back out on the field time and time again.

On that note - I had an "off the record" brief talk about concussions with my doctor last year.  He basically said 2 things.

#1 - He said "They are a tricky thing to diagnose.  Many times someone has had a concussion, and never got diagnosed properly, and the reverse can be true also.  Sometimes they may get misdiagnosed in the other direction. He said "I bet the NFL is going overboard erring on the side of caution, but thats just a guess". (Because of all the injury lawsuits, caution etc)

#2 -  They also are hard to quantify exactly how they "affect people".  While all are considered "serious", some affect people far worse than others do.  This tends to go hand in hand with "diagnosis/misdiagnosis".

Regardless Tom Connors - I was like you, he was my last ditch "golden opportunity" tight end this year.  He was so far down  most leagues he wasn't even being drafted. The ideal upside candidate free of charge.

Now, he is just another one I am crossing off my list.

TYLER EIFERT HERE I COME     :excited:

I guess we could consider him a burnt toast candidate right?

TZM

Except there is no FitzMagic there this year and it's a different coaching staff.

I own Winston in a total of zero leagues this year but I'm not opposed to taking him, especially as my #2 or in a timeshare with another high-upside QB.
You don't think Blaine gabbert is a threat?

Far less of a threat than Fitpatrick was.  

Perhaps the question was schtick.

But no, he's not a threat.

I like Winston.... especially with Arians and no run game.
Total joke, but I'm not sold on Winston. The lack of a run game probably will make him have some big games but also a lot of sacks and ints. 

I do expect Howard to have a nice year. Evans and Godwin have loads of talent but they'll also be inconsistent. 

Josh Gordon is the ultimate toaster. 

If his ADP stays constant I will also risk burning my 6th finger on him. 

The ceiling for his ADP is just too damn high. 

Of course, his floor is bottom basement if he gets too damn high, so... :doh:  

There might not be any other player in the NFL with both extremes.

The floor for Josh Gordon probably lies somewhere on the floor of a drug den back in Cleveland somewhere, and the ceiling is a top 5 fantasy WR.

As bad as that is, its likely the truth, and I am even a fan of the guy!

TZM

I've now seen this twice in 1 day in different threads.

What does this mean?
It means you could say what he said literally any year and it would be true.

the analogy is to evergreen &’deciduous trees. Deciduous trees lose their leaves. Evergreens are, well, evergreen. :)  

It means you could say what he said literally any year and it would be true.

the analogy is to evergreen &’deciduous trees. Deciduous trees lose their leaves. Evergreens are, well, evergreen. :)  
I get it now.

He’s a big fan of the Barbra Streisand song, Evergreen. 

Users who are viewing this thread