What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dare Ogunbowale (1 Viewer)

jm192

Footballguy
Couldn't find a thread on him.

I think his opportunity about the other backs being very meh rather than him being a special football player.  Barber is meh.  Jones is less than meh and now has knee swelling.  

Hailing out of the land of cheese, he caught 60 passes for 507 yards and 2 touchdowns.  Going into the draft he profiled as a 3rd down back.  Arians has praised his pass protection in multiple interviews since camp started.  He's had two nice pre-season games.  Had 54 yards receiving on 3 catches in the first game, 2 TD's in the second game.  

You can see where I'm going with this.  There's (I believe a very real) chance he comes out of pre-season as the 3rd down back for a Bruce Arians offense.  Surely more exciting in a PPR dynasty format, he's probably worth at least a stash in most deeper leagues

Come on! you couldnt wait 2 more days!!! I've held restraint all week from starting a thread 

I may or may not know him, good kid. fellow alumnus. IMO will be what many including myself thought Bruce Anderson could be 

Please let this fall until Sunday late morning. 

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't find a thread on him.

I think his opportunity about the other backs being very meh rather than him being a special football player.  Barber is meh.  Jones is less than meh and now has knee swelling.  

Hailing out of the land of cheese, he caught 60 passes for 507 yards and 2 touchdowns.  Going into the draft he profiled as a 3rd down back.  Arians has praised his pass protection in multiple interviews since camp started.  He's had two nice pre-season games.  Had 54 yards receiving on 3 catches in the first game, 2 TD's in the second game.  

You can see where I'm going with this.  There's (I believe a very real) chance he comes out of pre-season as the 3rd down back for a Bruce Arians offense.  Surely more exciting in a PPR dynasty format, he's probably worth at least a stash in most deeper leagues
He looked more explosive than Barber or Jones in the Miami game. I believe had a long run after a catch called back. A good flyer.

Please let this fall until Sunday late morning. 
Thank you

I was pretty high on Bruce Anderson earlier this offseason as Arians has almost always had a LOT of targets to his RBs. Anderson looks to be cut. Barber is just a guy. Jones has confirmed that he is still a bust. 

Dare can catch the ball. Unless TB makes a signing or a trade within the next couple of weeks, I think Dare has some good potential in ppr leagues. 

Someone is going to catch the ball a lot in that offense. Dare wont wow you with athleticism but he is the best pass catcher and pass blocker on that team currently. And we know that offense will throw a lot

Where does the Buccaneers' competition at running back stand?

Excerpt:

The biggest surprise: Dare Ogunbowale

In some instances, Ogunbowale has outperformed Andre Ellington as a third-down back, although Ellington’s system familiarity, having played for Arians with the Arizona Cardinals, helps his cause for a roster spot. But it’s hard to overlook Ogunbowale, who not only looks powerful between the tackles but is a strong route runner, which is especially important when Arians lines his running backs up out wide.

"Just being able to finish runs ... [Ogunbowale's] route running is second to none. I feel he has some of the best routes in the NFL," Barber said.

“I feel like I’ve always been a pretty good route runner,” said Ogunbowale, a former walk-on at Wisconsin who grew up playing soccer. “I started off my college career as a cornerback, so going against receivers all the time, kind of picking their brains on what they saw from me ... when I switched over to offense, I took those things that I learned and it translated into me catching the ball. ... Route running has always been something that I’ve always kind of hung my hat on."

Ogunbowale was tied heading into Thursday night for the NFL lead with two touchdowns this preseason.

"He's made a real strong case," Arians said.

Evan Silva @evansilva

Dare Ogunbowale equally splitting 1st-team snaps with Peyton Barber & Ronald Jones in 3rd preseason game is a pretty good indication #Bucs are looking at Ogunbowale for significant early-season role.

Best pass-catching RB on the roster right now, and TB is going to throw a ton.

I'm super excited to grab him in my primary dynasty. Guy is going to surprise a lot of people if he gets the role I'm expecting. 

Probably looking at goal line and the lions share of the targets

Choke said:
*) This game did not help OJ Howard for my estimations, as Arians playbook reared its ugly head.  Too much blocking on pass plays. Too many long patterns at same depth of WRs when not blocking -- and he simply isn't as fast/quick as the wideouts. Never seemed to be the first/second read on any pattern. Rarely in a slot. The underneath stuff was all "sit in zone" with no big chance at after the catch plays when he was the dump option. The RB dump options had flow and motion, however. This was all with Jaemis Winston in the game.
i would agree with you about concern over Howard's utiliization. the line is so bad that he's going to be needed to block more than expected. he's going to be an afterthought in passing.

Where would you slot Dare Ogunbowale in a dynasty rookie draft? After that ryquellarmstead/snell/love grouping?

i wouldn't expect anything but a 2-back set up there. no RB will get the role exclusively unless they somehow blow the doors off. Dare doesn't have to beat both guys out.
 This is true, but just two days ago the coach was saying that it was barber and John’s neck and neck and that they would both see a lot of the field. The way he was talking made it sound like there was a distant third. 

That all said, for redraft leagues that offensive line is a turd, so it’s really choosing between two solidly mediocre options no matter who wins the battle.

dare should get enough receiving work to devalue all 3

He doesn't have any stellar competition in front of him and the new coaching staff has no loyalty to last year's guys. Not inconceivable that he eventually takes the lead in a committee.

DARE TO DREAM

I'm all in based on the other two being stiffs.  
This is kinda where I'm at too. I drafted this kid last night as my 6th running back, so no harm done if he doesn't pan out. But the blocking intrigues me (can't play today if you cant do it)  and as someone who drafted Payton Barber WAY too early on both my teams last year, (4th and 5th round I think....) I know he's got a pretty low bar to clear for playing time.

They're gonna have to pass a ton, and this kid seems to have the right skill set. Stranger things have happened. Just have to remind myself to be patient if he doesn't make an impact the first few weeks. I'd hate to cut a potential late season difference maker for some 3rd WR or TE who lucks into a couple of week 1 TD's.

DARE TO DREAM

I'm all in based on the other two being stiffs.  
Thing is, Barber is a stiff.

Ronald Jones is still a talented young rookie who had a rough first year, who, by the coach’s words, is “night and day compared to where he was last year.

i think there’s optimism in TB about Jones, Barber is a known JAG, and Darw is the guy the FF community has a preseason crush on.

imma claim him for some FAAB but I’m not going nutty. 

If I had to go to Vegas and make a $50 wager on which of the TB backs had the best chance to become “the man” I’d throw it on RoJo without hesitation. 

IMO he’s still the back to own. 

If I had to make a prediction I’d say it’s RBBC until a “hot hand” emerges between Barber & Jones. And I’m pretty sure Barber could light himself on fire & still not have a hot hand. 

This is kinda where I'm at too. I drafted this kid last night as my 6th running back, so no harm done if he doesn't pan out. But the blocking intrigues me (can't play today if you cant do it)  and as someone who drafted Payton Barber WAY too early on both my teams last year, (4th and 5th round I think....) I know he's got a pretty low bar to clear for playing time.

They're gonna have to pass a ton, and this kid seems to have the right skill set. Stranger things have happened. Just have to remind myself to be patient if he doesn't make an impact the first few weeks. I'd hate to cut a potential late season difference maker for some 3rd WR or TE who lucks into a couple of week 1 TD's.
As a BYE week flex player he could be solid if they use him as a receiver. 

Certainly an upside pick as a 6th RB. 

If I had to go to Vegas and make a $50 wager on which of the TB backs had the best chance to become “the man” I’d throw it on RoJo without hesitation. 
SloJo has only confirmed how bad he is this preseason

if I had to go to Vegas and bet $50 on who would have the most fantasy points in this backfield it would not be SloJo. He might he the #1 RB in the backfield but that means nothing as Barber proved last year; he wont ve the most productive from a fantasy perspective 

I'm thinking he may be more valuable from a real NFL perspective in protecting Winston than in FF terms. Unfortunately, we don't get points for pancake blocks in my league. 

I'm thinking he may be more valuable from a real NFL perspective in protecting Winston than in FF terms. Unfortunately, we don't get points for pancake blocks in my league. 
I think the Bucs may just say screw it and throw an inordinate amount of times this year. Not just because they may be down, but they’re good at it, that’s where their most talented players are and the line seems to pass block better than run. 

Measurables are very uninspiring.  I have not watched him play, but grabbed him off the WW based on this thread.  I guess its worth a flyer when its free.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/dare-ogunbowale
Nice find. That said, I don't put much stock in measurables - some guys play faster than what they showed in a one-time snapshot, and vice versa.

But as you say, he's worth a flier to see what he can do. Always droppable if stubborn Arians sticks with Barber/Jones and his old friend Ellington.

SloJo has only confirmed how bad he is this preseason

if I had to go to Vegas and bet $50 on who would have the most fantasy points in this backfield it would not be SloJo. He might he the #1 RB in the backfield but that means nothing as Barber proved last year; he wont ve the most productive from a fantasy perspective 
I’m not sure that’s accurate. For one, “slo jo” is an i accurate monicker - the kid hasn’t shown a ton this preseason, but he’s looked quick. He’s actually looked decisive, too - watching him play, I agree with Arians - it’s night & day compared to last season. and ironically, your pony Dare is actually pretty damn slow. 4.65 40 as compared to “SloJo” who ran a 4.46. 

There’s been high praise for RoJo out of the coach & teammates from camp to present. The offensive line has has been nothing short of awful though. And with Jones coming back from a hyperextended knee this situation may not be accurate to judge until the games count & Jones is 100%. 

i try not to read into meaningless preseason games too much. A handful of carries with vanilla playbooks don’t usually tell a whole story.  Dare made some noise against the Browns. I don’t think it was enough to unseat the Barber/Jones RBBC 

Dare could get mixed in if they struggle though - but he may also be the odd man out unless a game turns into a shootout (which it frequently may) and even then, as @TripleThreat said, there are a lot of mouths to feed in that passing game.

I know you really really really want Dare to be that secret weapon that wins you fantasy leagues this year by taking over the TB backfield, but I don’t think it happens.

And given the state of the TB OL, I’m not sure any back there will rise above “BYE week flex fill-in” for anyone this year. 

I was able to claim Dare, and I have RoJo, so I’m not really invested in either. I’d like one to emerge but I don’t have high hopes for either. 

Barber seems incapable of emergence, so naturally he’ll probably be the one to unexpectedly blow up this year. lol

I know you really really really want Dare to be that secret weapon that wins you fantasy leagues this year by taking over the TB backfield, but I don’t think it happens.
If that's what you think I'm saying then you havent been reading. 

I think Dare can be a great rb3 with rb2 td upside. a decent bye week filler if you're shallow at rb. 

And the jab at slojo is not based off his 40. its he is just a terrible runner so far in the nfl. 

If that's what you think I'm saying then you havent been reading. 
It’s not what you’re saying, but it’s what you’re layin down, and pretty thick too, I might add. Reminds me of back when you still loved AJones.  ;)  

I think Dare can be a great rb3 with rb2 td upside. a decent bye week filler if you're shallow at rb. 
Clearly you’re heavily invested in this idea. 

I am not saying he can’t be. It’s just unlikely going to be with the 2019 Tampa Bay buccaneers. Because they’re not a good team, they have a bad OL, and because he’s likely the 3rd or 4th RB (depending how you view Ellington) - he could be 1b to Ellington's 1a in the passing game while Jones & Barber split carries. 

And none of that is likely to be a fantasy football gold mine.

And the jab at slojo is not based off his 40. its he is just a terrible runner so far in the nfl. 
It’s a pretty limited sample size. And Arians disagrees with you. Plus his college track record shows he’s very likely to develop into a very decent runner in the NFL. But he needs enough touches to either prove or disprove that, and thus far he hasn’t had them. What touches he’s had are behind a terrible run-blocking OL (none too great at pass protection either). 

So it’s hard to make any definitive statement about Jones based on what we’ve seen at the pro level. Everyone, Jones included, will tell you that 2018 was a lost season. He was overwhelmed & unfocused.

But all reports this year have been positive & that he’s seeing the field better, showing a combination of patience & pop when he hits the hole (if one ever opens up) - I’d like to reserve judgement until I’ve seen a much larger sample size. 

We’re way too fast to label players as busts. Often that seems to coincide with man-love for a backup. 

Regardless, big picture-wise, I’m not seeing a pot of gold at the end of any running back rainbow on that Bucs team. I hope I’m wrong, since I’d love to deal RoJo or Dare in dynasty, but I don’t think any of these Bucs will win anyone a league this season.

I am not saying he can’t be. It’s just unlikely going to be with the 2019 Tampa Bay buccaneers. Because they’re not a good team, they have a bad OL, and because he’s likely the 3rd or 4th RB (depending how you view Ellington) - he could be 1b to Ellington's 1a in the passing game while Jones & Barber split carries. 
Guys like Dare are frequently over looked because they are on bad teams or in a rbbc. I believe Drake finished as a high end rb2 last year. James white had the ppr season of a lifetime (granted on a great team). 

I'm not saying Dare will be on the same level as them, but if he can grab 60 receptions and have a Nyheim Hines like season... and hes free on the ww... with how often injuries happen at rb and how scarce the position is, I dont know why this wouldnt be attractive.

I ran the numbers and posted them in the Bruce Anderson thread I think- Arians typically has 100 targets to his RBs. Even if Rojo has some improbable career lightbulb moment, he cant catch the ball. someone on that team stands to see a lot of targets, and it is unlikely to be Jones. and that someone is currently free and should have decent value in 2019

IMO Ellington is cut, but that's just my opinion. If he makes the team that obviously changes this landscape considerably. 

He has that one reserved since he fell out of love with Aaron Jones.  :shrug:
Again, if you read what I'm saying in the Aaron jones thread, I like Jones. I like him for 2019. But hes at his sell high moment IMO. Doesnt matter if you like someone or not. too many fantasy owners fall in love with players and fail to see the sell high moments because they want to ride that train into the sunset. I'd rather flip assets at their highest point. 

Again, if you read what I'm saying in the Aaron jones thread, I like Jones. I like him for 2019. But hes at his sell high moment IMO. Doesnt matter if you like someone or not. too many fantasy owners fall in love with players and fail to see the sell high moments because they want to ride that train into the sunset. I'd rather flip assets at their highest point. 
You had to know that was a joke. C’mon son. I was with you on AJones last year, remember? ;)  

I’m still on the AJones train actually. I believe splitting carries will help him rather than hurt him.

Guys like Dare are frequently over looked because they are on bad teams or in a rbbc. I believe Drake finished as a high end rb2 last year. James white had the ppr season of a lifetime (granted on a great team). 
I had White last year - he was a big part of why I was a playoff team. But the Pats OL & the Bucs OL are night & day. 

And yes, it’s true - you can have a bad team with a productive fantasy RB. Detroit has proven that for decades. But you can’t have a terrible run-blocking OL & have good production from a RB, especially a group as solidly mediocre as TBs.

being the best RB on that team right now is like having a turd with the most corn in it. Unlikely to have nutritional value despite having the most to offer. 

I'm not saying Dare will be on the same level as them, but if he can grab 60 receptions and have a Nyheim Hines like season... and hes free on the ww... with how often injuries happen at rb and how scarce the position is, I dont know why this wouldnt be attractive.
60 receptions would be a tall order IMO. 

Especially with tried & true security blanket Ellington in the mix. If he’s cut, I’ll say maybe Dare sniffs 40. 

I agree with you about his price. I spent very little to obtain him, and I did obtain him where I have RoJo. 

I’m just not very optimistic about it.  

I ran the numbers and posted them in the Bruce Anderson thread I think- Arians typically has 100 targets to his RBs. Even if Rojo has some improbable career lightbulb moment, he cant catch the ball. someone on that team stands to see a lot of targets, and it is unlikely to be Jones. and that someone is currently free and should have decent value in 2019

IMO Ellington is cut, but that's just my opinion. If he makes the team that obviously changes this landscape considerably. 
I don’t see RoJo having a a good season as “an improbable lightbulb moment”

first, based on his college career it’s hardly ”improbable” and more “expected”. His 208 struggles are what people see as improbable since he was a blue chip RB prospect. 

And in fact, all reports have been that he’s had his “lightbulb moment”. 

Per Arians, 

"Some really young players really stepped up, especially Ronald Jones," Arians said. "He had a really good day today. I really enjoy watching where he's at right now in the backfield."

While there's only so much can be taken from evaluating running backs when practicing without pads, Arians said Jones has stood out.

"We can still see his vision," Arians said. "RoJo made a couple of really nice cutbacks today. We don't run a ball a lot in these periods. Maybe we had nine running plays today, but he took full advantage of his, that's for sure.”

:shrug:

I had White last year - he was a big part of why I was a playoff team. But the Pats OL & the Bucs OL are night & day. 

And yes, it’s true - you can have a bad team with a productive fantasy RB. Detroit has proven that for decades. But you can’t have a terrible run-blocking OL & have good production from a RB, especially a group as solidly mediocre as TBs.

being the best RB on that team right now is like having a turd with the most corn in it. Unlikely to have nutritional value despite having the most to offer. 

60 receptions would be a tall order IMO. 

Especially with tried & true security blanket Ellington in the mix. If he’s cut, I’ll say maybe Dare sniffs 40. 

I agree with you about his price. I spent very little to obtain him, and I did obtain him where I have RoJo. 

I’m just not very optimistic about it.  

I don’t see RoJo having a a good season as “an improbable lightbulb moment”

first, based on his college career it’s hardly ”improbable” and more “expected”. His 208 struggles are what people see as improbable since he was a blue chip RB prospect. 

And in fact, all reports have been that he’s had his “lightbulb moment”. 

Per Arians, 

"Some really young players really stepped up, especially Ronald Jones," Arians said. "He had a really good day today. I really enjoy watching where he's at right now in the backfield."

While there's only so much can be taken from evaluating running backs when practicing without pads, Arians said Jones has stood out.

"We can still see his vision," Arians said. "RoJo made a couple of really nice cutbacks today. We don't run a ball a lot in these periods. Maybe we had nine running plays today, but he took full advantage of his, that's for sure.”

:shrug:
Do you expect RoJo to be involved in the passing game?

Trying to see where we disagree here. I guess I'm approaching this from a "moneyball" perspective. The stats suggest RBs will get about 100 targets in an Arians offense.

It seems we primarily disagree on who will be the pass catching back in this offense. Which is fine, and we could probably resume the discussion after cuts. I can agree that if Ellington makes the team it will be a fuzzy situation that I would want no part in. If Ellington is let go and they have 3 rbs, the third being Dare, then IMO the answer is clear. 

Do you expect RoJo to be involved in the passing game?
I do. He’s not a bad pass catcher. I’d be a little surprised to see an Arians team that predictable. He throws to RBs a lot, but IIRC he mixed it up.  

Trying to see where we disagree here. I guess I'm approaching this from a "moneyball" perspective. The stats suggest RBs will get about 100 targets in an Arians offense.
We agree that Dare will have a role. 

Where we disagree is that you think Jones is a total bust & I don’t think we can make that call based on a small sample size.

we also disagree that any of the TB backs will have immediate impact to FF teams. Your money ball approach is fine - I do the same. I’m not saying Dare is without value. 

I’m just not confident of what that value is from a FF perspective unless 

1. Injury to Barber/RoJo

2. Ellington is cut

3. TB OL proves to be better than expected. Or even competent for that matter. 

It seems we primarily disagree on who will be the pass catching back in this offense. Which is fine, and we could probably resume the discussion after cuts. I can agree that if Ellington makes the team it will be a fuzzy situation that I would want no part in. If Ellington is let go and they have 3 rbs, the third being Dare, then IMO the answer is clear. 
That’s it exactly. Right now Ellington is on the team, so it’s probably best to temper expectations until that changes. 

It happens a lot in the NFL. You get a dude like Dare who has a terrific, but narrow skill set. 

Jones plays special teams, and is likely better than he’s shown. Of all the backs in TB he arguably has the most upside, despite his 2018 struggles. Barber sucks, but for some reason they hang onto him. Ellington is a guy Arians has worked with for years so there may be a comfort/trust factor there. 

But it sounds like Dare is a lock to make the 53, so it’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

It just seems like there’s a lot of optimism for a situation that doesn’t really command any.  Maybe I’m a pessimist. 

Certainly not saying “don’t add Dare” - I added him. But I’d temper expectations.

My expectation:

1) A bigger RBBC than last year. RoJo is running with more confidence than last year. But he still has the severe limitation of being a liability in both pass pro and in pass catching. There's been rumblings that coaching has really helped with this, but I'll believe it when I see it. RoJo had severe limitations last year in both vision, pass catching and pass blocking it would take a significant improvement to overcome. He would've been cut if he wasn't a 2nd round pick. 

2) I agree that Dare has a chance to be the future lead back (of the players on the roster). Barber is actually a fairly good rusher but offers little in the passing game and has limited athletic upside. I think he could actually thrive as a valuable RB2 behind a solid line. But the Bucs OL was trash run blocking last year and hasn't looked any better this year. I think Barber might've been hit behind the line more than any RB - and not because he was dancing. Barber was 9th in attempts but 19th in yards. 

3) The path to value for a Bucs RB this year is likely in the passing game. Unless the Bucs coaches are holding back on calling a significantly improved running game in the season, I'd expect the RBs to struggle. If Dare can step up as the clear pass catching options that might get him touches and a chance to supplant Barber and Jones. 

The only reason I think my opinion has value is that (a) as a Bucs fan (pour one out for me) I follow enough sources and (b) I've had a pretty good read on the backfield the last couple of years. Take that for whatever's it worth. 

Ronald Jones has been awful in the passing game in both college and pros. You don’t just get to make up things to fit your narrative.
For receiving I was referring to Ellington,  very above-average pass catcher. 

And currently Dare’s competition for that receiving role. 

My expectation:

1) A bigger RBBC than last year. RoJo is running with more confidence than last year. But he still has the severe limitation of being a liability in both pass pro and in pass catching. There's been rumblings that coaching has really helped with this, but I'll believe it when I see it. RoJo had severe limitations last year in both vision, pass catching and pass blocking it would take a significant improvement to overcome. He would've been cut if he wasn't a 2nd round pick. 

2) I agree that Dare has a chance to be the future lead back (of the players on the roster). Barber is actually a fairly good rusher but offers little in the passing game and has limited athletic upside. I think he could actually thrive as a valuable RB2 behind a solid line. But the Bucs OL was trash run blocking last year and hasn't looked any better this year. I think Barber might've been hit behind the line more than any RB - and not because he was dancing. Barber was 9th in attempts but 19th in yards. 

3) The path to value for a Bucs RB this year is likely in the passing game. Unless the Bucs coaches are holding back on calling a significantly improved running game in the season, I'd expect the RBs to struggle. If Dare can step up as the clear pass catching options that might get him touches and a chance to supplant Barber and Jones. 

The only reason I think my opinion has value is that (a) as a Bucs fan (pour one out for me) I follow enough sources and (b) I've had a pretty good read on the backfield the last couple of years. Take that for whatever's it worth. 
My condolences.

At least you’ll always have the Chucky years (Gruden should send Tony Dungy a fruit basket every year for putting that team together) 

😢

Looks like he has passed Ellington on the depth chart.

Pewter Report's Trevor Sikkema expects Dare Ogunbowale to open the year as the Bucs' third-down back.

According to Sikkema, Ogunbowale has, at times, looked like the Bucs' best overall running back, whether it's been as a runner, pass-catcher, or pass-protector. Sikkema notes Ronald Jones has particularly struggled in pass pro, though he expects Jones to open the year in an "even split" with Peyton Barber on early downs. What makes Ogunbowale so attractive is he's trustworthy as a blocker, and this Bucs offense is likely to be one of the pass-heaviest units in the league. That's a clear pathway for Ogunbowale to see meaningful playing time.

Sounds like a three headed monster. Yay. :doh:

flex value PPR though. 

The second quote is from me. I do not know why it wrapped it up inside the first quote. LOL 

Just dropped Ajayi for him in my main league. This guy was picked up by the Bruce Arian’s regime, right?

Users who are viewing this thread