What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things Boomers Like (1 Viewer)

Scoresman

Footballguy
Chain steakhouses

Billy Joel

Printing emails

Network Television Police procedurals

Shopping at Kohl's

Claiming "Pet Sounds" is the greatest rock and roll album of all time

Talking to the manager

Words with Friends

John Stossel

Talking on their cell phone in speaker mode while holding it like a slice of pizza

Saving the manuals for every appliance in a plastic bag

Well done hamburgers

Wall calendars

Telling people with depression to cheer up and get over it

Serving on their HOA board

Saying they prefer having the actual book in their hands over a kindle

Not using social media because "they come out with a new one every week and I can't keep up"

Saying "No price, well then I guess it's free!" when buying something and the checker cant find the price.

Giving outdated real estate advice

Printed boarding passes

Asking "Is it spicy?" at a restaurant

Great list.

Only misses would pertain to the weather and yardwork.  Also, maybe something about the hand-crank pencil sharpener bolted to the wall in the basement.

I am gen x-er but we bought our home off a boomer.  He kept each and every single owner's manual in a plastic bag. . . I have maintained that tradition and I have to be honest here, I fully support that idea.  He also had TWO hand crank pencil sharpeners attached to the walls, I kept that tradition as well even though they're useless and I only use a really nice electric pencil sharpener I got off amazon.  The cell phone thing is absolutely a real thing though, I have seen this countless times!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gen x-er but we bought our home off a boomer.  He kept each and every single owner's manual in a plastic bag. . . I have maintained that tradition and I have to be honest here, I fully support that idea.  He also had TWO hand crank pencil sharpeners attached to the walls, I kept that tradition as well even though they're useless and I only use a really nice electric pencil sharpener I got off amazon.  The cell phone thing is absolutely a real thing though, I have seen this countless times!
Pencils? 

I'm an Xennial and haven't used a pencil since the 90s.

Telling you that Youtube is the only place to go to find out what's  really going on in the world. 

Claiming not to be racist while engaging in blatantly racist behavior. 

Sharing the dumbest, most obviously false memes on Facebook.

Telling their server, "I hate to complain but ______ is wrong with my meal. I mean it's fine and I hate doing this but, I just thought the cooks would want to know so they can fix it....Oh you really don't have to take it off the bill...no really...thank you so much, I appreciate it."  Every single time they go out to eat. 

Leaving  2 minute long voicemails that say nothing but that they called and would like you to call them back. 

Texting short cryptic apropos of nothing texts that they then don't respond back to for 8 hours or sending you a single 1000 word text like they are writing you a letter in 1870. 

Printing emails

Shopping at Kohl's

Words with Friends

Talking on their cell phone in speaker mode while holding it like a slice of pizza

Wall calendars

Saying "No price, well then I guess it's free!" when buying something and the checker cant find the price.

Printed boarding passes
:bag:

Hey, we invented nipples. Actually it was Carly Simon who did.  Before her album cover there were no nipples, after, they were everywhere.  True story.  Did you know that the human race nearly went extinct because breast milk use to flow out all over the damn place, missing the baby's mouth 90% of the time.  After Carly, problem solved. It emitted only from the nipple, not the entire breast.

Calling SUVs (regardless of size/make) "trucks".  

"Is that your new truck?"

"You mean my new Toyota Rav4?"

"Yeah."

Telling their server, "I hate to complain but ______ is wrong with my meal. I mean it's fine and I hate doing this but, I just thought the cooks would want to know so they can fix it....Oh you really don't have to take it off the bill...no really...thank you so much, I appreciate it."  Every single time they go out to eat. 
I've seen this across all demographics except little kids. Except for the "every single time" thing ... no one I know is 100% on that.

It might be an interesting thread topic: What is the proper threshold for bringing up a complaint at a restaurant?

I've seen this across all demographics except little kids. Except for the "every single time" thing ... no one I know is 100% on that.

It might be an interesting thread topic: What is the proper threshold for bringing up a complaint at a restaurant?
I am mostly thinking of my MIL- she loves going out to eat and especially likes trendy cool places...except she's very picky and never likes anything. She has a "I need to speak with the manager" moment every damn time we go out to eat. Like 100 out of 100 times. 

Yeah.  I rarely complain at restaurants because I worked in them for so long as a young kid.  But when I do say something, this is my go to script.

Whenever it's about time to leave somewhere, like a restaurant, saying "Ready to rock-and-roll?"

Buying overpriced shirts from the golf course pro-shop (with the name of the course on the chest).  And then wearing them all time when nowhere near a golf course.

"Look, Craig...I know you want me to ask you about the time you played Farting Oaks or Boca del Puta but I'm not going to.  Mainly out of general principle."

Are we sure we're talking about Boomers?  I'm about a decade out from being a Boomer but seem to fit into all of these cliches.
No kidding   :kicksrock:   Not all the cliches, but a disturbing number of them.

(From the point of view of a current 20-something ... is everyone over 40 or 45 kind of the same, culturally/socially? If so, that would explain a lot. Boomers and Gen Xers getting thrown into the same hat.)

Mortgaging future generations economic freedom so they can live the easy life.  Then complaining about how lazy millennials all want handouts and should get out of their parents basements because in their day you could drop out in 10th grade and land a good enough job to buy a car, house and support a family with a single earner.

What do I win?

Leaving  2 minute long voicemails that say nothing but that they called and would like you to call them back. 
this probably belongs in the "shtick you use" thread.

i've been doing this for years. not so much anymore as i don't use my phone (it's too new fangled and contraptiony for me) so much but say between about 13 - 25 this was very funny.

this probably belongs in the "shtick you use" thread.

i've been doing this for years. not so much anymore as i don't use my phone (it's too new fangled and contraptiony for me) so much but say between about 13 - 25 this was very funny.
My friend's dad is the king of this. He will play us his voicemails and they are always something like: 

"Well hello Dean, this is your father. I am calling you at 2:20...no maybe it's closer to 2:30. I'll have to check the clock- yep it is 2:29. I am having a lovely day, went to the park with with my grandson. He just loved it. Hopefully your day is going just as good as mine. You are probably at work or maybe not at work or maybe the gym or on a bike ride- what a great day for that! Anyway, I was just calling you to say hi. Nothing important do not worry. There is no rush to call me back. Oh by the way did you know someone left a fabulous little piece of tupperware at our house. It has a red top, glass container. It's maybe 8 by 12. You know what tupperware is, right? It's just great for storing leftovers in. Anyway, someone left it here. I know it wasn't you since you weren't here this weekend. But I just wanted to let you know that it was left here and your mom just doesn't know who it belongs to but it's such a nice piece of tupperware. I am going to buy some just like it. So give me a call back, my number is still 313-123-4567. If I don't answer, it may be because I am in the middle of a film. Your mom and I have started putting our phones away when we watch movies. It's so relaxing to just watch a movie with no distractions. We do pause and have an intermission where we will check just in case there is an emergency. So again, if I don't answer, leave me a message and I will return the call. Ok, nothing big going on or anything. Just was going to ask you what you think of some of recent Fox News programming. Your mom and I think they aren't treating the President fairly and we are starting to just use Youtube now for our news. They say much nicer things about him. Also there are some very funny videos on Youtube. Have you seen the funny videos there? Anyway, I will talk to you soon. Goodbye." 

I got a new phone a couple years ago. I didn't prioritize setting up voicemail. Then realized how great it was not having boomers calling me leaving rambling voicemails that could be conveyed in a 3-7 word text message. So I just never set it up. And not sure when/if I will ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread