What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things Boomers Like (1 Viewer)

A lot of boomers didn't have to b/c of pensions
And, when the Boomers were old enough, and/or possibly, retired, why did those Boomers vote to take away pensions from the younger citizenry? Boomers voted in the anti-union people later in their lives and we are at where we are at. So, what is wrong with unions and pensions?

And, when the Boomers were old enough, and/or possibly, retired, why did those Boomers vote to take away pensions from the younger citizenry? Boomers voted in the anti-union people later in their lives and we are at where we are at. So, what is wrong with unions and pensions?
Millennials don't need those things.   They're FIREing.   

Destroying the Housing Market

Telling us how when they were young they had this this and that and if they can do it so can we

Calling every Male stranger son 

Early dinners at the local diner 

Destroying their steak by ordering it well done

walks on the beach

Their flip phone (Why dod I need a new one when this works perfectly fine then getting mad when the Cellphone worker tells them they can't download their contacts on the new one because its too old)

short swim trucks and wearing speedos 

jimmy Buffet

Singing Sweet Caroline 
Missed being a boomer by 5 years.

I love walks on the beach as do my daughters.  My daughters and all their friends belt out Sweet Caroline every time it is on, and sing Jimmy Buffett songs too, their friends wear short trunks,  maybe people are more alike that we want to believe.

Chain steakhouses Check

Billy Joel :X

Printing emails Check

Network Television Police procedurals :confused:

Shopping at Kohl's Check

Claiming "Pet Sounds" is the greatest rock and roll album of all time :X

Talking to the manager :no:

Words with Friends :no:

John Stossel :hophead:

Talking on their cell phone in speaker mode while holding it like a slice of pizza :no:

Saving the manuals for every appliance in a plastic bag Check

Well done hamburgers :X :X :X

Wall calendars Check

Telling people with depression to cheer up and get over it Check

Serving on their HOA board :no:

Saying they prefer having the actual book in their hands over a kindle Check

Not using social media because "they come out with a new one every week and I can't keep up" :nerd: I am a social media nerd because of my kids

Saying "No price, well then I guess it's free!" when buying something and the checker cant find the price :no:

Giving outdated real estate advice Check

Printed boarding passes Sorta, used to do this but have overcome and use phone as much as possible

Asking "Is it spicy?" at a restaurant Check
Was born in 1964 so at the tail end of the Boomer era

Do I get lumped in with this? I feel like I'm on the fringe of receiving/not receiving SS. I'll probably get it but at a much reduced rate is my thought, age 55.
All good. Just a general observation. It has more to do with them living longer than personal preferences.

Judge Smails said:
Please. I don’t think Boomers started the FIRE movement with retirement plans at 35. 
You say this as if it's the norm and most are in a position to take advantage of it. While also ignoring the trade-off's.

Minimalism has become a thing in this generation. Part out of necessity. The math for the norm says if millenials save then it's at the expense of other items - #1 buying a house, #2 starting a family, #3 paying student loans, etc. FIRE is simply a function of that environment. Sure, some are in a position to take advantage of it, but the % is tiny. The reality is the savers are either just trying to save enough for items 1 and 2 above while dealing with 3 or saying forget a family all together. Regardless of your situation if the goal is family then there are potential negative consequences later in focusing on saving early then circling back around to starting a family later. The choice to begin a family has always been an expensive one, but never anywhere close to what it is now. Which is why many are simply choosing not to.

It's very frustrating that boomers consistently never seem to grasp the realities of now vs. then when it comes to cost. But, then again - like I said earlier in the thread. Boomers are selfish. So of course they won't get it.

The choice to begin a family has always been an expensive one, but never anywhere close to what it is now. Which is why many are simply choosing not to.
i'm really curious if the bolded is true. 

or why it might be if it is true.

used to be daycare was grandma's house. or aunts & uncles. or the park. or your best friend's house for a couple hours before & after school. so while expensive to feed & clothes kids it could be done because a second income wasn't needed just to cover 5 years of daycare.

now little johnny needs to learn Mandarin and take yoga classes at the art museum when he's 2 and by gosh that costs $800/week. entitled boomers didn't have to pay that like today's parents.

i keep thinking of Dot admonishing H.I. in Raising Arizona

Dot : You gotta get 'em dip-tet boosters yearly or else they'll develop lockjaw and night vision

Dot : I'm sure you have the life insurance squared away?

Ed McDonnough : Have we done that honey? We gotta do that honey!

Dot : You gotta do that HI! Ed's got her hands full with this little angel.

H.I. : Yes, ma'am.

Dot : What would Ed and little angel do if a truck came along and splattered your brains all over the interstate?

Ed McDonnough : Yeah honey! What if you get run over?

Dot : Or carried off by a twister?

Dot : You soak his thumb in iodine and you might get by without the orthodonture, but it won't knock a thing off the university.

Last edited by a moderator:

used to be daycare was grandma's house. or aunts & uncles. or the park. or your best friend's house for a couple hours before & after school. so while expensive to feed & clothes kids it could be done because a second income wasn't needed just to cover 5 years of daycare.

now little johnny needs to learn Mandarin and take yoga classes at the art museum when he's 2 and by gosh that costs $800/week. entitled boomers didn't have to pay that like today's parents.

i keep thinking of Dot admonishing H.I. in Raising Arizona

Dot : You gotta get 'em dip-tet boosters yearly or else they'll develop lockjaw and night vision

Dot : I'm sure you have the life insurance squared away?

Ed McDonnough : Have we done that honey? We gotta do that honey!

Dot : You gotta do that HI! Ed's got her hands full with this little angel.

H.I. : Yes, ma'am.

Dot : What would Ed and little angel do if a truck came along and splattered your brains all over the interstate?

Ed McDonnough : Yeah honey! What if you get run over?

Dot : Or carried off by a twister?

Dot : You soak his thumb in iodine and you might get by without the orthodonture, but it won't knock a thing off the university.
Have you seen daycare and babysitting costs today? It's insane. The whole hospital and healthcare thing for mom plus baby is also more expensive and many Hospitals have tried to sneak in charges that the patient didn't even agree too or was told they were getting so then you got to get the insurance company involved and if you have to a lawyer. Babysitting today the cost is very expensive. My parents were lucky with my 2 brothers and I as we had an Italian/Irish Family right behind our house (row Homes) and their daughter who was just in HS would run over and watch us and then would occasionally bring her boyfriend now husband with her. We could if we had to go over to her house. My parents never had to worry about cost or anything as she didn't have to drive and her mom being Italian we were always well fed either by our own parents or my babysitters. My grandparents would take us if my parents were away longer thanks to already being retired. 

People today are having babies younger which means parents aren't always free to take the grandkids not being retired. Aunt or Uncle? Most of these people having kids their little brother is barely old enough to watch himself right now. Different times. Back in your guys days you got married at an older age and had kids when married. Now people today it's not seen as culturally wrong to be in a relationship and not married and have a child so people are having kids younger. Then you got inflation and a poor economy (thanks baby boomers for that) who many voted for Ronald Regan who took a lot of subsidies that FDR had away that helped you guys out we no longer get. It's a mixed bag. 

Are there some out there who want little Johnny in some special thing with Yoga or whatever but many of the friends I know with kids are barely getting by. You need two incomes literally for daycare and people aren't getting paid fair wages for price hikes to many things. Its a lot more then Little Johnny needs to be entitled these days and another thing Boomers are great at doing accusatios of the younger Generations as being lazy and entitled. Many of us have jobs its not well paid. College? Tuition is higher then when Boomers went school. I have a big section of my friends group who ended up going to trade school instead because College was ridiculously expensive. Unfortunately the trades aren't paying what they use too either. Many companies are finding loopholes to not pay employees benefits as well which is another problem. Its not our fault completely 

This is one source for average day care cost by state. That's why many choose to bypass dual income. Problem is most people in prime age for having kids aren't making enough to support a single income household. And that's just after the kid is out. Just to get the kid out cost something decades ago, but whatever the number didn't require budgeting.  But, now? And that's just the out-of-pocket. I assume we're all up to speed on the rising costs of premiums and that less is covered now vs. then.

So, the average 20-something has 5 figures of student loan debt and needs to save for a 20% down payment on a house. If they're going to have kids they also need to budget for those fixed costs, among other things.  And they're also supposed to be saving with those wages. The math makes no sense. This is why so many 20-something's aren't buying houses and having kids. Not because of lifestyle decisions. Because fiscally it doesn't make any sense. Those that are do so knowing they're bypassing the prime savings age. And if they prioritize savings to kids then do the fiscally responsible thing and wait until their 30's then they have to deal with this.

Do people cite things like the bolded wrt current day parents? Yes. Is it true? Yes. For the majority? Absolutely not. And citing those outliers (un?)intentionally distracts from the real problem. It isn't any different than citing the liberal arts major at a private school having $100K in debt or the recent grad renting a studio in San Francisco and refusing to give up their daily $10 coffee and avocado toast regimen. Yes, there are some idiots that put themselves in that situation. No, it isn't the norm.

Generations prior could save, buy a house, and start a family in their 20's. Generations now can't. Generations now have to prioritize. Doing so will only create problems later. And many in older generations fail to realize any of this - or they do and don't care. 

You say this as if it's the norm and most are in a position to take advantage of it. While also ignoring the trade-off's.

Minimalism has become a thing in this generation. Part out of necessity. The math for the norm says if millenials save then it's at the expense of other items - #1 buying a house, #2 starting a family, #3 paying student loans, etc. FIRE is simply a function of that environment. Sure, some are in a position to take advantage of it, but the % is tiny. The reality is the savers are either just trying to save enough for items 1 and 2 above while dealing with 3 or saying forget a family all together. Regardless of your situation if the goal is family then there are potential negative consequences later in focusing on saving early then circling back around to starting a family later. The choice to begin a family has always been an expensive one, but never anywhere close to what it is now. Which is why many are simply choosing not to.

It's very frustrating that boomers consistently never seem to grasp the realities of now vs. then when it comes to cost. But, then again - like I said earlier in the thread. Boomers are selfish. So of course they won't get it.
Is it really that different? I'd like to see the differences based on today's money vs then.

I was the first one in my family to go to college and wasn't given a dime. Faked a work permit at 14 so I could start working.  Nobody gave me a dime to go to college.  Same with most of my friends.  If we didn't come from money many of us went to a community college to do undergraduate classes, worked hard to get grades and then got into a public school we could afford.  I went to Cal State LA.  It's what i could afford.  I wasn't about to take on massive student loans even though I could have gotten into other schools.  My life turned out fine.  Sure you have to make a decent living to get a house but we ALL struggled to get our first house.  None of us thought we could afford it.  Made it work.  And there's FHA programs for first time home buyers with a low percentage down.  Maybe you can't afford where your parents live.  Cool.  My first house I had to commute an hour plus. It sucked but I had a home for my family.  And then I saved more to get in a better house.

Every generation had to deal with college expenses, housing and $ choices associated with having kids.  Neither Boomers or Millennial grew up in the Depression.  Nothing to whine about.  Buck up.  And don't forget that many of the Boomers you are complaining about a) funded our kids college education b) are starting 529 programs for grandchildren c) helping with housing down payments d) leaving an inheritance.  But bag on Boomers...

Generations prior could save, buy a house, and start a family in their 20's. Generations now can't. Generations now have to prioritize. Doing so will only create problems later. And many in older generations fail to realize any of this - or they do and don't care. 
To think you could do that without a college education and just with a single income.    You're an absolute outlier if you can do that these days.   

Is it really that different? I'd like to see the differences based on today's money vs then.

I was the first one in my family to go to college and wasn't given a dime. Faked a work permit at 14 so I could start working.  Nobody gave me a dime to go to college.  Same with most of my friends.  If we didn't come from money many of us went to a community college to do undergraduate classes, worked hard to get grades and then got into a public school we could afford.  I went to Cal State LA.  It's what i could afford.  I wasn't about to take on massive student loans even though I could have gotten into other schools.  My life turned out fine.  Sure you have to make a decent living to get a house but we ALL struggled to get our first house.  None of us thought we could afford it.  Made it work.  And there's FHA programs for first time home buyers with a low percentage down.  Maybe you can't afford where your parents live.  Cool.  My first house I had to commute an hour plus. It sucked but I had a home for my family.  And then I saved more to get in a better house.

Every generation had to deal with college expenses, housing and $ choices associated with having kids.  Neither Boomers or Millennial grew up in the Depression.  Nothing to whine about.  Buck up.  And don't forget that many of the Boomers you are complaining about a) funded our kids college education b) are starting 529 programs for grandchildren c) helping with housing down payments d) leaving an inheritance.  But bag on Boomers...
I already shared a starting point with the data. Start there. But if you focus on individual cases you spin around circles and go nowhere. It's why I chose a macro level summary and not micro level anecdotal samples. 

finger

I already shared a starting point with the data. Start there. But if you focus on individual cases you spin around circles and go nowhere. It's why I chose a macro level summary and not micro level anecdotal samples. 
Let's take out abnormally high cost cities.  I get that.  This doesn't apply to SF, LA, NY or other big metropolitan places on the coasts.

You live in Ohio, correct? Median home price in Cleveland is $157K and in Columbus still under $200K.  FHA down payment on a $200K house with a 580+ Fico score is $7K.  I'm sorry - drive at night for uber until you make that if you have to and want it bad enough.  30 year payment on that is a ridiculously low $1,000/month even at 5% (us boomers had the fun of 13-19% interest rates).  A single person making $45-$50K a year with no outlandish other debt (more on that coming) could qualify.  We're not talking software developer or engineer degree money.

So is the real argument that you can't make a decent living without a college education or learning a trade (electricians and the like can afford the above)? In the rust belt those jobs are history.  It's a new world.  Adjust or whine and go nowhere.  So again, go to community college.  If you're poor you'll get a grant and likely be paid to go there.  Then go to an instate college that's affordable.  If you don't have the means you''ll likely get grants.  Live at home if you have to vs dorms.  Nobody is guaranteeing the "full college experience" If you do have to take on loans it'll be for 2 years and be manageable.  Don't go out of state and spend $50K a year on a liberal arts degree at a 4 year school and end up with $200K in student loan debt where you can't earn it back.

These are CHOICES. 

And you know what, most of the millennial's I know including my kids friends are doing just fine.  Sure, they were worried about everything.  Getting jobs, finding out where to rent an apartment but just like we did they are putting one foot in front of the other and figuring life out.  Waiting a bit on marriage. Starting to save.  Choosing where to buy a home (some here in So Cal are moving outside of Portland, Phoenix, Dallas) based on what they can afford and then deciding on a family.  If anything it's just delayed 3-5 years or so for the ones who didn't take on crippling student debt.

Blaming others for one's lot in life is no way to live (for any generation).  Do something about it.  

People today are having babies younger which means parents aren't always free to take the grandkids not being retired. Aunt or Uncle? Most of these people having kids their little brother is barely old enough to watch himself right now. Different times. Back in your guys days you got married at an older age and had kids when married. Now people today it's not seen as culturally wrong to be in a relationship and not married and have a child so people are having kids younger. Then you got inflation and a poor economy (thanks baby boomers for that) who many voted for Ronald Regan who took a lot of subsidies that FDR had away that helped you guys out we no longer get. It's a mixed bag. 
While I agree with your point on expensive daycare, the bolded is just completely wrong.

Over the past 15 years, the proportion of first-time mothers younger than 20 years old dropped from 23 percent to 13 percent.
In the last 45 years, the mean age of first-time moms has gone up by five years — from 21.4 years old to 26.3.
The cost of daycare, much like the cost of college, is propped up by the various government agencies that are designed to allow lower income people access to daycare to work. In NY, child care subsidies have a $$ cutoff, so people are disincentivised from making an extra $100 a month when daycare costs could rise by $1,000.

Let's take out abnormally high cost cities.  I get that.  This doesn't apply to SF, LA, NY or other big metropolitan places on the coasts.

You live in Ohio, correct? Median home price in Cleveland is $157K and in Columbus still under $200K.  FHA down payment on a $200K house with a 580+ Fico score is $7K.  I'm sorry - drive at night for uber until you make that if you have to and want it bad enough.  30 year payment on that is a ridiculously low $1,000/month even at 5% (us boomers had the fun of 13-19% interest rates).  A single person making $45-$50K a year with no outlandish other debt (more on that coming) could qualify.  We're not talking software developer or engineer degree money.

So is the real argument that you can't make a decent living without a college education or learning a trade (electricians and the like can afford the above)? In the rust belt those jobs are history.  It's a new world.  Adjust or whine and go nowhere.  So again, go to community college.  If you're poor you'll get a grant and likely be paid to go there.  Then go to an instate college that's affordable.  If you don't have the means you''ll likely get grants.  Live at home if you have to vs dorms.  Nobody is guaranteeing the "full college experience" If you do have to take on loans it'll be for 2 years and be manageable.  Don't go out of state and spend $50K a year on a liberal arts degree at a 4 year school and end up with $200K in student loan debt where you can't earn it back.

These are CHOICES. 

And you know what, most of the millennial's I know including my kids friends are doing just fine.  Sure, they were worried about everything.  Getting jobs, finding out where to rent an apartment but just like we did they are putting one foot in front of the other and figuring life out.  Waiting a bit on marriage. Starting to save.  Choosing where to buy a home (some here in So Cal are moving outside of Portland, Phoenix, Dallas) based on what they can afford and then deciding on a family.  If anything it's just delayed 3-5 years or so for the ones who didn't take on crippling student debt.

Blaming others for one's lot in life is no way to live (for any generation).  Do something about it.  
I'm intentionally not making this about me. I'm fine. My family is fine. I had help as a 20-something. So did my wife.  We had to do a lot on our own and make uncomfortable decisions, both while we were getting our start and after - but we still had quite a bit of assistance. Without it our situation is not a good one, but because we were fortunate enough to have it we were able to get the kick-start necessary for someone in our generation to be debt free and a home owner in our mid 20's and parents of 3 by our early 30's. I'm also aware enough to realize that many don't get that same sorta head-start.

Boomers had it made. Some squandered it anyway, but the path was paved clear. Millenials are reliant on their parents not being those boomers that squandered it away and then also being ones willing to help. To think otherwise is quite simply blissful ignorant. And please don't get all this twisted - I'm happy to read you're not one of the boomers that figured it out and are not then passing it along to your children. I just hope you realize that's not the case for many.

I don't know if was intentional or not, but you didn't address anything related to costs associated with kids - only focusing on getting the career and then the home. $6K to get that thing out of me then an additional $10K/year to get someone else to watch them, $5K/year to insure them, if something were to happen to them who knows what on my high deductible HSA plan, and that's just for health and so I can work...on a $4_K/year salary? Pfft, forget kids. 

Every mid-late 20something is going to have a different financial situation, but when assessing your current situation and future earning power vs. the costs associated with having kids this generation consistently chooses the fiscally responsible route. I can't afford kids, so I'm not having them. This didn't used to be the case because none of those costs were what they are now. And there will be very real economic impacts from these decisions throughout our lifetimes and some may be on the way very soon. This is not a sustainable model and for all the things our society seemingly complains about at all times this does not move the needle. :shrug:

I mean, I get it. Talking economics doesn't draw ratings. And if it doesn't draw ratings then media won't report on it. So it won't become an issue until after the next recession/bubble bursts.

Wages were a lot different for us 40 years ago especially for folks without an education or a skill.  Try paying a mortgage payment on $5.00 an hour that has a 13% interest rate.  A lot of us had to work 2 or even 3 jobs.  Personally I think every generation has their own challenges.  You just have to work hard to overcome them.

Wages were a lot different for us 40 years ago especially for folks without an education or a skill.  Try paying a mortgage payment on $5.00 an hour that has a 13% interest rate.  A lot of us had to work 2 or even 3 jobs.  Personally I think every generation has their own challenges.  You just have to work hard to overcome them.
Purchasing power is not marginally different than it was 40 years ago

While costs associated with having kids have

Millenials work more than one job

Federal minimum wage 40 years ago was worth more than it is today. From 79-99, Federal minimum wage was increased 10 times. It has not been increased at all in the last decade. The value of minimum wage has dropped by more than $1 an hour (while cost of living has gone up) over the last 10 years. Meanwhile if we adjust for inflation, the median home in 1980 cost $146k. The median home in 2019 costs $229k. That is an increase of 57% in cost of a home. Also, $5/hour sounds really low but it's about $18/hour today which is good pay. About $2-4 more an hour than a school secretary, dental assistant or a certified nurse at a senior home make. 

Federal minimum wage 40 years ago was worth more than it is today. From 79-99, Federal minimum wage was increased 10 times. It has not been increased at all in the last decade. The value of minimum wage has dropped by more than $1 an hour (while cost of living has gone up) over the last 10 years. Meanwhile if we adjust for inflation, the median home in 1980 cost $146k. The median home in 2019 costs $229k. That is an increase of 57% in cost of a home. Also, $5/hour sounds really low but it's about $18/hour today which is good pay. About $2-4 more an hour than a school secretary, dental assistant or a certified nurse at a senior home make. 
May seem low but it was in Florida in 1979 unskilled warehouse worker did not pay a lot but $5.00 was better than some other jobs believe it or not.  Of course the first house I bought was only $42,000 the last car I bought was more than that.  Still the interest rate was high and $5.00 didn't go far.

I made $10,816 in 1979 so I made about $5.60 an hour.  Did not recall correctly but what can I say I can barely remember 10 minutes ago.

May seem low but it was in Florida in 1979 unskilled warehouse worker did not pay a lot but $5.00 was better than some other jobs believe it or not.  Of course the first house I bought was only $42,000 the last car I bought was more than that.  Still the interest rate was high and $5.00 didn't go far.

I made $10,816 in 1979 so I made about $5.60 an hour.  Did not recall correctly but what can I say I can barely remember 10 minutes ago.
$10,816 isn't bad. It's $38,200 today. It's low but certainly enough for a person to live off especially in a State like Florida that has a very reasonable cost of living. 

My mother loves the phone and talks like a diary. She doesn't believe in texting. Too impersonal. I love text. She wants to hear my voice. Um, you should know it by now... 🙄
Thus one of the problems today, people (especially young people) don't know how to communicate when it's necessary. 

rustycolts said:
Boomers didn't major in BS degrees.

I’m was born the last year for boomers and I can assure you this isn’t true

:bag:
A lot of boomers were able to support a family without a degree.  A lot of young people are getting garbage degrees and working in jobs that don’t pay squat and they’re in deep debt paying for those garbage degrees.  Most people in my generation that did go to college, actually made a good living from their degree.  It’s hard to make a living with a degree in gender studies or its equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread