What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking - Andrew Luck to retire (1 Viewer)

Wow. Lions fan, can sympathize.
Obviously Sanders meant a TON to the Lions franchise but at the end of the day, he was a 30 year old running back for a franchise going nowhere.

Luck is a QB on a young up and coming team in an era where QB's are playing into their 40's. (which will seemingly only get easier as they phase hits on the QB out of the game).

He clearly had some injury issues, but Luck could have played for another DECADE. This is nuts.

How many concussions has Luck suffered? He’s a bright guy and has made a ton of money. He’s probably looking at the big picture and wants to see his 60’s. Still a very stunning announcement though this close to the season. He was fun to watch.  I wish him the best. 

Obviously Sanders meant a TON to the Lions franchise but at the end of the day, he was a 30 year old running back for a franchise going nowhere.

Luck is a QB on a young up and coming team in an era where QB's are playing into their 40's. (which will seemingly only get easier as they phase hits on the QB out of the game).

He clearly had some injury issues, but Luck could have played for another DECADE. This is nuts.
Don't forget Megatron. All equally as stunning. But yeah, losing a barely 30 year old QB right before the season is a bigger kick to the junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when Irsay said Luck was “going to get him some more of these (rings)?”  It just goes to show there are no sure things.  Old Peyton squeezed out one more ring and Andrew never made it to the game.  I feel sorry for him though.  Those early years he took a pounding.  Oddly, it seems like the rest of the team had caught up to him a bit and they could have made some noise this year.  But we’ll never know...

Wagering Wilson would have a better NFL career than Luck was not supposed to be won like this.  Should be playing another 10 years each.

Nothing to add here. I'm just as flabbergasted as everyone else. I can't think of a more shocking retirement announcement...

That said, maybe he's planning on solidifying himself as the biggest star in XFL history...

When did Luck inform the Colts?  This had to have occurred a few days ago and they've been discussing it, etc.

If accurate, Andrew probably should have avoided this story breaking with "mentally worn down" being a headline.  That's just not a good look...one that will probably make the next few years much rougher on him than they should be.

Twitter says he’s at the Colts home game on the sideline, chatting away like nothing is up. “A surreal scene.”

He had to carry some ####ty rosters and has gone through a lot health wise. He's already earned enough to last a lifetime (almost $100 million career earnings, I think). Sucks to see a great talent walk away early, but it's hard to blame him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when Irsay said Luck was “going to get him some more of these (rings)?”  It just goes to show there are no sure things.  Old Peyton squeezed out one more ring and Andrew never made it to the game.  I feel sorry for him though.  Those early years he took a pounding.  Oddly, it seems like the rest of the team had caught up to him a bit and they could have made some noise this year.  But we’ll never know...
Is ironic as they had their best team in a long time.

Remember when Irsay said Luck was “going to get him some more of these (rings)?”  It just goes to show there are no sure things.  Old Peyton squeezed out one more ring and Andrew never made it to the game.  I feel sorry for him though.  Those early years he took a pounding. 
Eli Manning forced his way out of San Diego when he entered the NFL.  There were a few that advocated Andrew Luck  do the same thing from Indy...primarily because of Jim Irsay.  Easy to say that now, but you just have to wonder how his career plays out different elsewhere.

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this
wondering if this latest injury is more serious than has been reported?

First of all, you DON'T retire while you're in the prime of your career!  He's not even 30 yet, and he's already going to hang it up?!  I really pray to God and hope that between now and tomorrow when he has the "retirement" press conference that he has second thoughts.  Yeah, I know he's been injured, but I'll repeat the point I'm trying to make: Andrew Luck is in the PRIME of his career.  He's not even 30 yet, which means he's in the PRIME of his career!  This makes no sense whatsoever!

First of all, you DON'T retire while you're in the prime of your career!  He's not even 30 yet, and he's already going to hang it up?!  I really pray to God and hope that between now and tomorrow when he has the "retirement" press conference that he has second thoughts.  Yeah, I know he's been injured, but I'll repeat the point I'm trying to make: Andrew Luck is in the PRIME of his career.  He's not even 30 yet, which means he's in the PRIME of his career!  This makes no sense whatsoever!
sounds like he is mentally done. Wondering if this latest injury is more serious than has been reported?

Well, I think you're forgetting the fact that he's got like 100 million in the bank, and he's a smart dude.

He’s got enough money to last 10 lifetimes. You ever been mauled by an NFL linebacker?

My guess is contract would prohibit it but not sure.

ETA: meaning would be too expensive
given Reich's links to the eagles, and the fact that the Eagles cant or won't carry 4 QBs on roster, I wouldn't be surprised to see Colts/eagles trade for a backup.  Kessler, sudfeid or McCown. 

Just curious....

I’ll take him at his word for now. Say he sits out 2019. If he decides to un-retire for 2020, the Colts still own his rights, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread