Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Penguin

Breaking - Andrew Luck to retire

1 minute ago, cap'n grunge said:

Bridgewater?

My guess is Colts would prob slightly prefer Brissett at this point, and he wouldn't be cheap either.

• Like 1

Just now, Maximus* said:

This is ####### nuts. What's with the emotionally wore out stuff?

he had a pretty catastrophic complication to his shoulder and was now having complications with his lower leg. I dont blame him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, turkishkamel said:

Wow. Lions fan, can sympathize.

Obviously Sanders meant a TON to the Lions franchise but at the end of the day, he was a 30 year old running back for a franchise going nowhere.

Luck is a QB on a young up and coming team in an era where QB's are playing into their 40's. (which will seemingly only get easier as they phase hits on the QB out of the game).

He clearly had some injury issues, but Luck could have played for another DECADE. This is nuts.

• Like 1

How many concussions has Luck suffered? He’s a bright guy and has made a ton of money. He’s probably looking at the big picture and wants to see his 60’s. Still a very stunning announcement though this close to the season. He was fun to watch.  I wish him the best. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BobbyLayne said:

Sandy Koufax?

back to back pitching triple crowns and three Cy Youngs in four years

Going way back, but we have a winner.

The guy was ALWAYS injured. Dont blame him

• Thinking 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

Obviously Sanders meant a TON to the Lions franchise but at the end of the day, he was a 30 year old running back for a franchise going nowhere.

Luck is a QB on a young up and coming team in an era where QB's are playing into their 40's. (which will seemingly only get easier as they phase hits on the QB out of the game).

He clearly had some injury issues, but Luck could have played for another DECADE. This is nuts.

Don't forget Megatron. All equally as stunning. But yeah, losing a barely 30 year old QB right before the season is a bigger kick to the junk.

Edited by turkishkamel
  • Like 2

now I really want to know whats going on with his ankle, and if it is more significant than we thought? 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Well it's not good.

4 minutes ago, pbandy1 said:

Brissett is a fine substitute this year but the whole offense is downgraded significantly.

must not be sleeper guys. over your head :)

• Like 1

Downgrade Hilton? Sure. Mack? Not so sure. May lean on him more and Brissett and WR's and TE's good enough to keep defenses honest. 

• Thanks 1

Remember when Irsay said Luck was “going to get him some more of these (rings)?”  It just goes to show there are no sure things.  Old Peyton squeezed out one more ring and Andrew never made it to the game.  I feel sorry for him though.  Those early years he took a pounding.  Oddly, it seems like the rest of the team had caught up to him a bit and they could have made some noise this year.  But we’ll never know...

• Sad 1

I know this probably isn't what colts fans want to hear right now,  but Tom Brady has played in and won more games for the Patriots than manning and luck combined for the Colts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wagering Wilson would have a better NFL career than Luck was not supposed to be won like this.  Should be playing another 10 years each.

• Sad 1

Nothing to add here. I'm just as flabbergasted as everyone else. I can't think of a more shocking retirement announcement...

That said, maybe he's planning on solidifying himself as the biggest star in XFL history...

• Laughing 1

When did Luck inform the Colts?  This had to have occurred a few days ago and they've been discussing it, etc.

If accurate, Andrew probably should have avoided this story breaking with "mentally worn down" being a headline.  That's just not a good look...one that will probably make the next few years much rougher on him than they should be.

• Thinking 1

Twitter says he’s at the Colts home game on the sideline, chatting away like nothing is up. “A surreal scene.”

1 minute ago, bostonfred said:

I know this probably isn't what colts fans want to hear right now,  but Tom Brady has played in and won more games for the Patriots than manning and luck combined for the Colts.  

go away

• Like 12
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

He had to carry some ####ty rosters and has gone through a lot health wise. He's already earned enough to last a lifetime (almost $100 million career earnings, I think). Sucks to see a great talent walk away early, but it's hard to blame him.

Edited by sports_fan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

Remember when Irsay said Luck was “going to get him some more of these (rings)?”  It just goes to show there are no sure things.  Old Peyton squeezed out one more ring and Andrew never made it to the game.  I feel sorry for him though.  Those early years he took a pounding.  Oddly, it seems like the rest of the team had caught up to him a bit and they could have made some noise this year.  But we’ll never know...

Is ironic as they had their best team in a long time.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MikeApf said:

Remember when Irsay said Luck was “going to get him some more of these (rings)?”  It just goes to show there are no sure things.  Old Peyton squeezed out one more ring and Andrew never made it to the game.  I feel sorry for him though.  Those early years he took a pounding. 

Eli Manning forced his way out of San Diego when he entered the NFL.  There were a few that advocated Andrew Luck  do the same thing from Indy...primarily because of Jim Irsay.  Easy to say that now, but you just have to wonder how his career plays out different elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

9 minutes ago, domvin said:

He will take a break, and come back

i don't see it

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

how does this affect marlon Mack 

he’s probably surprised too

• Like 3
  • Laughing 7
  • Thinking 1

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Twitter says he’s at the Colts home game on the sideline, chatting away like nothing is up. “A surreal scene.”

The game is just ending now.  There will be some odd footage coming from Indy soon.  Wow, even the timing of that is odd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Penguin said:

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

wondering if this latest injury is more serious than has been reported?

• Thinking 1

First of all, you DON'T retire while you're in the prime of your career!  He's not even 30 yet, and he's already going to hang it up?!  I really pray to God and hope that between now and tomorrow when he has the "retirement" press conference that he has second thoughts.  Yeah, I know he's been injured, but I'll repeat the point I'm trying to make: Andrew Luck is in the PRIME of his career.  He's not even 30 yet, which means he's in the PRIME of his career!  This makes no sense whatsoever!

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Uncle Leo said:

They should trade for Eli...

My guess is contract would prohibit it but not sure.

ETA: meaning would be too expensive

Edited by Tool

He nearly retired last year but played anyway.

Tex

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Yogibear said:

First of all, you DON'T retire while you're in the prime of your career!  He's not even 30 yet, and he's already going to hang it up?!  I really pray to God and hope that between now and tomorrow when he has the "retirement" press conference that he has second thoughts.  Yeah, I know he's been injured, but I'll repeat the point I'm trying to make: Andrew Luck is in the PRIME of his career.  He's not even 30 yet, which means he's in the PRIME of his career!  This makes no sense whatsoever!

sounds like he is mentally done. Wondering if this latest injury is more serious than has been reported?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yogibear said:

Well, I think you're forgetting the fact that he's got like 100 million in the bank, and he's a smart dude.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Yogibear said:

He’s got enough money to last 10 lifetimes. You ever been mauled by an NFL linebacker?

• Like 3

Paging Kap to the courtesy phone.

• Laughing 1

Damn Eagles fans

@AaronLemingNFL: Colts fans now booing Andrew Luck as he walks off the field in street clothes. Wow

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Man In The Box said:

He’s got enough money to last 10 lifetimes. You ever been mauled by an NFL linebacker?

I am shocked more guys don't retire early...i think you are going to see this more and more

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Translation: HaHa Colts fans suck it

Just now, Gopher State said:

Paging Kap to the courtesy phone.

Kap getting signed would be more stunning than Luck retiring. He’s done. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JaxBill said:

Damn Eagles fans

@AaronLemingNFL: Colts fans now booing Andrew Luck as he walks off the field in street clothes. Wow

Stay Classy Philadelphia.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TLEF316 said:

Herb Kirkstreit‏ @THE_OSU 19m19 minutes ago

Replying to @TheRealOJ32 @Colts

I mean you could always cut him.....

heard he killed his draft

• Like 1

1 minute ago, killface said:

I am shocked more guys don't retire early...i think you are going to see this more and more

Tell this to Brady 

Just now, Gopher State said:

Tell this to Brady 

Luck was hit more times last year than brady has been in the last 5 years

• Thinking 1