What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking - Andrew Luck to retire (1 Viewer)

I should drop him right now from my dynasty team but knowing my luck (pun intended) as soon as I do something happens and he has a change of heart.

First of all, you DON'T retire while you're in the prime of your career!  He's not even 30 yet, and he's already going to hang it up?!  I really pray to God and hope that between now and tomorrow when he has the "retirement" press conference that he has second thoughts.  Yeah, I know he's been injured, but I'll repeat the point I'm trying to make: Andrew Luck is in the PRIME of his career.  He's not even 30 yet, which means he's in the PRIME of his career!  This makes no sense whatsoever!
lol

The point I'm trying to make is for a QB to not even hit the age of 30 and already deciding to call it a career is absurd.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: He's not even 30 yet!  For QBs, they usually reach the prime of their careers when they before the age of 30.  I know he's been injured, but he still had plenty of good years left.  Look at how Peyton Manning's career turned out.  Come to think of it, Peyton's just the guy to try to talk some sense into Andrew Luck.

Remember when the Colts drafted Andrew Luck to be the successor to Peyton Manning?  I really hope Peyton still has connections with the Colts and try to get through to Andrew Luck that he's leaving a lot of Colts fans befuddled with this abrupt "retirement."
Football isn't life to everybody.  He's Jonathan Moxon, not Moxon's dad.

I am surprised it does not happen more often. If I had made 8 figures and was stuck on a 6 win team for years on end, I would absolutely retire to preserve my health and just relax with all of my money. 

This seems like as good as time as any to break my 9 year lurking streak on this board. 

I'm stunned and bummed out. But not a chance in hell I would've booed the guy if I was at that game tonight. Or any other night for that matter. He was fun to watch, played hard and he owes me nothing. I can't blame him for not wanting to potentially spend another year rehabbing. If I was 30 years old and had that kind of scratch, with a degree from Stanford, I'd probably do the same.

I've suffered through Jack Trudeau, Jeff George and Curtis Painter. (With an all-timer mixed in there somewhere). It could be worse than Brissett.

I wish him the best.
You're really not allowed to be this rational.

God speed Andrew and thanks for putting it all on the field and being a great guy on and off the field.  Thanks for all the great memories, I will very much miss watching him play.  And please don’t lump all the wonderful Hoosiers with a few drunk knuckleheads, hell, this was a preseason game, how many season ticket holders go to those games?  

I think the thing I’m most disappointed about is that, with the way it was leaked, he didn’t get a proper opportunity to deliver his retirement in a dignified and appropriate way to the fans.  He was clearly blindsided by the leak, it was uncomfortable for him and he was clearly shaken up.  I hate it was mishandled that way, that was really uncalled for.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about his teamates?  Does Luck owe nothing to them?
Eh...

as much as you owe life decisions to your coworkers right now.  :shrug:

it’s hard to say what he owes to whom -  i would think on that list “family” comes first.

As much of a competitor as Luck is, as long as he’s played, including high school & college, it’s hard to judge what he’s going through. He might be in constant pain. 

Maybe he doesn’t want to live his life in constant pain. What if this serious calf injury is a red flag to him? What if it’s his spine next time? What if he’s unable to ever walk properly again? 

Whats that worth, and does he really •owe* his teammates that?

I think the only one he owes that much to is himself. 

His teammates put their own health on the line so that Luck can walk away with $100M.
They did? I was under the impression they were also employed by the Colts and earned their own salaries. Weird. 

Also he's not seeing that entire $100M. Obviously. And will have to pay back a pro-rated portion of the signing bonus, just like Calvin. 

Nice sidestep of what I actually posted, btw. So you feel you owe it to your co-workers to make them a priority over your family, health, and happiness?

Your perspective on this is skewed and it sucks. 

After watching his presser, I really think if he gets healthy and just takes a 2 year break with no physical strain, he'll return.  It's clear he still loves playing football.  He's just sick of being injured.  That shoulder thing must have really drained him.  He needs a 2 year recharge.  He'll be back and play 8 years.

Pretty spot on-

@mikefreemanNFL: Past decisions of the Colts to not draft any ####### linemen ruined one of the best quarterback prospects of his generation.
I've seen people do the strikethrough edits on here but I don't see an option on my phone. I submit the bolded as needing a strikethrough. This news came down in the middle of the 2nd round of the first of my three big main redrafts this year. I had Luck as my top QB after Mahomes and intended to snag him in the 3rd or 4th. 6 pts for passing TDs in this league. Craziest #### ever. It was a live draft 12 of us in the same room we must have said wow a million times. Ebron slid to the 14th. Mack the 7th maybe.

Andrew Luck is a quitter.  He quit on his team and he quit on the fans, many of whom paid thousands of dollars for season tickets to watch him play this year.  He is walking away having been paid almost $100M and leaving the team with $25M in dead cap space.  It is his choice and his right to do so but it does not mean that he should be respected for it.  He has ruined his legacy and he will now be nothing but a footnote in NFL history.
His health and happiness is all that matters.  You're out of your mind.

Tito, bring this guy a tissue.

Andrew Luck is a quitter.  He quit on his team and he quit on the fans, many of whom paid thousands of dollars for season tickets to watch him play this year.  He is walking away having been paid almost $100M and leaving the team with $25M in dead cap space.  It is his choice and his right to do so but it does not mean that he should be respected for it.  He has ruined his legacy and he will now be nothing but a footnote in NFL history.
You are incorrect about the cap space, that's not how retirements work. 

And everything else. 

You value different things than Luck does in his own life. I'm sure he's fine with that. 

Awesome. 

Wtf is wrong with you? It's obvious if he could play he would be playing. Jfc

I give the booing fans a pass. They were reacting emotionally in real time. I'm sure most will be ashamed of those actions and will give him a fond farewell in some public capacity.

I'm impressed that a guy can hang it up while he's still young and has tens of millions ($100 million + maybe?) to make. That's a lot to leave on the table. He could have gutted it out, gone on IR, rehabbed and collected the money, whatever. Instead he walked away. I respect that decision.

Really, really bad timing for the Colts, of course. He didn't start having these feelings yesterday. No chance this could have been discussed during free agency? Before the draft? Training camp? He's leaving the team at nearly the worst possible time for them to prepare for a full season. I'll have to assume it couldn't be helped. But a heads-up as to these feelings might have caused the team to make more preparations. 

Anyway, better now than when his body is completely broken. Hope the next phase of his life is a success. 

Andrew Luck is a 1st class guy both on and off the field. It is sad and sobering to know how hard he worked to get back and for a combination of family and health issues to be forced to retire way too young for most competent NFL fans.

I wish him nothing but happiness going forward and will always think fondly of the competitor, the person and the joy he was to have had the pleasure to watch.

After watching his presser, I really think if he gets healthy and just takes a 2 year break with no physical strain, he'll return.  It's clear he still loves playing football.  He's just sick of being injured.  That shoulder thing must have really drained him.  He needs a 2 year recharge.  He'll be back and play 8 years.
"I know that I am unable to pour my heart and soul into this position. ... it's sad, but I also have a lot of clarity in this."

It is fascinating to see the dichotomy of views in this thread between the jealous, narrow-minded or honestly ignorant posts of people trashing Luck vs the reasonable, well-thought out and intelligent ones recognizing his greatness, drive and commitment to self and family over the game of football 

I've seen people do the strikethrough edits on here but I don't see an option on my phone. I submit the bolded as needing a strikethrough. This news came down in the middle of the 2nd round of the first of my three big main redrafts this year. I had Luck as my top QB after Mahomes and intended to snag him in the 3rd or 4th. 6 pts for passing TDs in this league. Craziest #### ever. It was a live draft 12 of us in the same room we must have said wow a million times. Ebron slid to the 14th. Mack the 7th maybe.
Start with [.s] without the . between [ and s 

then end with [/s]

he's had several significant injuries, and only he knows how horrible he feels today. he likely also has first-hand knowledge of how his father's contemporaries are doing these days. how much money is worth being as mobile as earl campbell is today, with jim mcmahon's brain? 

Users who are viewing this thread