What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Players Retiring in the Middle of the Draft (1 Viewer)

Not much different from players getting injured in the middle of the draft. In fact, there was a good chance that Luck would have started the season on the PUP list anyway, so anyone who drafted him should have known that it was a risky move.

Less or more crazy than Bill Belichick resigning during the press conference where the GM was introducing him as the new head coach?
That ranks among the all-time weirdest things in sports people often don't mention. He resigned during the conference.

Whaaa?  And football definitely -- and American history somewhat -- changed a bit forever.
Technically he resigned a few minutes before the PC -- by scrawling a handwritten resignation letter on a piece of scrap paper (or was it a napkin?) -- "I resign as HC of the NYJ".

Hilton had been drafted, but Luck had not yet when we caught wind of the news during our draft.  Luck was getting knocked down a few pegs by everyone anyway, so I guess we were spared the worst of it.

Technically he resigned a few minutes before the PC -- by scrawling a handwritten resignation letter on a piece of scrap paper (or was it a napkin?) -- "I resign as HC of the NYJ".
Maybe my favorite thing about BB.  Found a way to say #### you in an absolute minimum of words.

Good point. But I think the whole thing was the whole assemblage of people there for the resignation. Definitely a strange sports occurrence.

Weird how Andrew Luck is "smart," yet was apparently unaware that Indy's mouth-breathing fans' affection for him was solely based on his ability to accurately throw a football, and not for him as a person.  Hurp Durp.
Because most people deep down are really angry at him and aren't just a bad sample of Twitter users taking to vent moronically. 

Weird how Andrew Luck is "smart," yet was apparently unaware that Indy's mouth-breathing fans' affection for him was solely based on his ability to accurately throw a football, and not for him as a person.  Hurp Durp.
Good point. A lot of people are blaming Adam Schefter and/or Colts management for "leaking" the story just before the game -- thus causing Luck to get booed at the game. But you'd think that a guy who went to Stanford would have been able to predict the negative reaction and therefore would have timed the retirement for the next day.

He a absolute monster for not considering FF drafts into his decision & timing. I could see this as a new rally cry for the left since immigration and impeachment have really cooled. @JerroldLewisNadler @AOC . OTOH, I'm happy we finally have collective justice with OJ. 
But on the other hand smart leagues such as mine wait until 2 days before the first game to have their draft. It somehow increases your luck.

I was in a FBG draft last night.  Luck announced Rd 7.  A guy picked Luck in the 9th and Miller in the 10th  :lmao:     

Good point. A lot of people are blaming Adam Schefter and/or Colts management for "leaking" the story just before the game -- thus causing Luck to get booed at the game. But you'd think that a guy who went to Stanford would have been able to predict the negative reaction and therefore would have timed the retirement for the next day.
He should've known, also he shouldn't really care. People who "cheer" and "boo" at football games -- preseason games in particular -- are imbeciles.

Great night. It applies to all of them.
Who pays if not for the irrational love of front and back of shirt? Do you really think it's in the players self-interest to be mercenaries in the long run for all of their sport? Without the fans, the game slips away when nobody is paying...

You're forgetting these games don't exist in a vacuum. Believe me, sports outside the big six or seven haven't forgotten what it's like when fans go away. There's nobody to buy the product and nobody to pay the salary.

Luck went in our  slow draft within a couple of hours of his announcement. I was picking 2 spots later and had him at the top of my queue.

Dearest mother — The quill has never felt more heavy. I have made the decision to holster my sidearm permanently. I shall battle no more. The decision is difficult, but, as the hogs taught me, I must be true to myself. I am coming home to care for you and the farm. — Andrew

Dearest mother — The quill has never felt more heavy. I have made the decision to holster my sidearm permanently. I shall battle no more. The decision is difficult, but, as the hogs taught me, I must be true to myself. I am coming home to care for you and the farm. — Andrew
New account

Dearest Mother,

I write you today with sorrow overtaking the men, the city and my heart. Though the drilling and squirrel oil has healed my sidearm, the constant battles have taken its toll. After dealing with a broken wheel and the torment war has taken on my mind, I’ve decided it’s best for me and the men that I come home. My only hope is that the men will carry us on to victory in this war, but today, no amount of squirrel oil and goat innards can help me carry on.

You're forgetting these games don't exist in a vacuum. Believe me, sports outside the big six or seven haven't forgotten what it's like when fans go away. There's nobody to buy the product and nobody to pay the salary.
1) :shrug:

2) I fully admit to being one of the aforementioned "imbeciles", albeit less so these days.

I have to say that I was sympathetic to Andrew Luck and was supportive of his decision to retire for the sake of his health.  But now that I find out that it screwed up OJ's fantasy team I am so PISSED at Luck!  :hot:

Hopefully Luck will reconsider the ramifications of his retirement for the sake of OJ's FF team.   I mean what did OJ do to Luck to deserve this?  

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused:

Luck HAD planned to announce his retirement the next day at 3pm after he informed his teammates Sunday morning. It was someone in the Colts organization that apparently knew and leaked it to Schefter who then immediately ran it.

:confused:

Luck HAD planned to announce his retirement the next day at 3pm after he informed his teammates Sunday morning. It was someone in the Colts organization that apparently knew and leaked it to Schefter who then immediately ran it.
Look, anyone smart enough to go to Stanford would have anticipated that someone in the Colts organization would be a complete D, and thus gamed out all possible scenarios with computerlike precision, you dig? 

:sarcasm:

Who pays if not for the irrational love of front and back of shirt? Do you really think it's in the players self-interest to be mercenaries in the long run for all of their sport? Without the fans, the game slips away when nobody is paying...
The number of fans the NFL loses because of luck retiring will be really low.  You'll have upset colts fans who will be back, at least by the time the colts draft Tua or Trevor Lawrence (if they manage to win a few games this year). 

If early retirement becomes more common, that might become significant. 

Early retirement will become more common for those hitting that second paycheck. At some point the money no longer makes sense to crush your body and brain. 
I predict Matt Stafford will be the next QB to retire early  before his contract is up.  Stafford has made well over 100 million already and will never win a SuperBowl with the Lions. Stafford had a back injury last year and his wife just had a brain tumor removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have upset colts fans who will be back, at least by the time the colts draft Tua or Trevor Lawrence (if they manage to win a few games this year). 
I'm sure there's a robust debate in the Shark Pool about this, but the crack Colts brass are probably already considering how to tank without being too obvious.  I don't think they were going to be very good even with Luck, and frankly the perennial mismanagement of that franchise has to have played some role in his decision. 

Users who are viewing this thread