What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Job Interview-follow up? (1 Viewer)

jomar

Footballguy
Long story short, my company was sold a couple months ago and my position is going to be eliminated eventually.  So I started looking around for other opportunities and found a position doing pretty much exactly what I've been doing for the past 15 years.  I talked with the sole owner and the company's general counsel on the phone a couple weeks ago.  They liked me and wanted me to meet with their current CFO, which I did and he loved me too.  So last Monday I met with the sole owner and GC for another interview face to face and they seemingly still loved me.  We spent over an hour talking about the job, the company, families, our college days, etc.  The next day I sent follow up emails to both of them individually, thanking them for their time, I think I'd be a wonderful fit, yada, yada, yada.  Later that day, I got an email back from the GC saying that he agreed I'd be a great fit and that he's been saying for years how they need to get someone of my caliber in their full time (the current CFO is a friend of theirs who is a CPA and has been doing it part time) to really help the company grow, etc.  Since then, nothing.  At what point should I follow up with him?  and how can I politely ask wtf is going on? 

one side note: turns out the General Counsel guy went to college with me, although I didn't know him at all basically.  He is good friends with one of my college friends as they went through law school together and still see each other a few times a year.  I got in touch with that guy before my face to face to let him know the GC guy might be contacting him to get his insight into me.  I believe they talked before my face to face and all went well.  so I have no idea what the hold up is and why I haven't received an offer or any response back in the last week.  what's my next move, if anything?

TIA

Sounds like it is a smaller place and real life can sometimes get in the way. It's been just over a week or "only been just over a week" depending on which side of this you are on. There's nothing wrong with dropping an email in the next day or 2 to see how things stand and/or ask for a timeline if they haven't given one. Presuming there wasn't any kind of talk about timeline in earlier discussions, I'd just word it somewhat generically like that - "just looking to see if you have made a decision and/or what kind of timeline you planning". 

Sounds like it is a smaller place and real life can sometimes get in the way. It's been just over a week or "only been just over a week" depending on which side of this you are on. There's nothing wrong with dropping an email in the next day or 2 to see how things stand and/or ask for a timeline if they haven't given one. Presuming there wasn't any kind of talk about timeline in earlier discussions, I'd just word it somewhat generically like that - "just looking to see if you have made a decision and/or what kind of timeline you planning". 
Agree, though I think in today's world its ok to add " and my boner for this job is getting limper by the day."

I can't count on my hand how many times I've left an interview where the company peeps were slobbering over me and how great I'd be for them.  Sometimes going in for 2nd or 3rd interviews.  Then never hearing from them again.  

I hope you have better luck.  

At a big place getting the financials of the offer ready can be the slowest part but this seems like a different situation. Sounds like you have the position so I’d be patient. If I were to feel things out I would do it using the Labor Day week as an excuse, just a heads up I’m out of town etc

I can't count on my hand how many times I've left an interview where the company peeps were slobbering over me and how great I'd be for them.  Sometimes going in for 2nd or 3rd interviews.  Then never hearing from them again.  

Yeah I'm in this boat too.  I had an interview back in late July after going through the phone screen process with the company's recruiter, sent the obligatory thank-you emails and then another email back to the recruiter to mention that I had some follow-up questions about the position and heard absolutely nothing.  I guess I could have shot them a phone call but I figured it was fate telling me it wasn't the right opportunity... and it likely wasn't.  

That said, in the OP's case, it's probably just a matter of them sorting things out.  I would continue to follow up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't looked for a job for a while but definitely ok to follow up after a week or so. I would think a phone call would be better than an email but maybe everything's moved to email these days?  In any case, as other posters I've been in a position where I was sure I had a a job and it fell through so I wouldn't get overly confident.  Any of a number of things could happen. On the other hand it is summer time and people could be on vacation or whatever so no need to panic yet either.

jomar said:
Long story short, my company was sold a couple months ago and my position is going to be eliminated eventually.  So I started looking around for other opportunities and found a position doing pretty much exactly what I've been doing for the past 15 years.  I talked with the sole owner and the company's general counsel on the phone a couple weeks ago.  They liked me and wanted me to meet with their current CFO, which I did and he loved me too.  So last Monday I met with the sole owner and GC for another interview face to face and they seemingly still loved me.  We spent over an hour talking about the job, the company, families, our college days, etc.  The next day I sent follow up emails to both of them individually, thanking them for their time, I think I'd be a wonderful fit, yada, yada, yada.  Later that day, I got an email back from the GC saying that he agreed I'd be a great fit and that he's been saying for years how they need to get someone of my caliber in their full time (the current CFO is a friend of theirs who is a CPA and has been doing it part time) to really help the company grow, etc.  Since then, nothing.  At what point should I follow up with him?  and how can I politely ask wtf is going on? 

one side note: turns out the General Counsel guy went to college with me, although I didn't know him at all basically.  He is good friends with one of my college friends as they went through law school together and still see each other a few times a year.  I got in touch with that guy before my face to face to let him know the GC guy might be contacting him to get his insight into me.  I believe they talked before my face to face and all went well.  so I have no idea what the hold up is and why I haven't received an offer or any response back in the last week.  what's my next move, if anything?

TIA
Sole owner might think "well, if the workload is small enough that my CFO has been handling it part time...why do we need to bring on a full timer to handle it"? Maybe he's not convinced or maybe CFO would need to justify the extra expense.

i have always used the email contact, reiterating interest for the position, but indicating that i am pursuing other opportunities.  

My brother, who has been interviewing for various positions, has found it's more like 4 weeks when they say they will get back in one.  Everyone is moving super slowly right now.

TheIronSheik said:

Yep me too

Do these follow up emails actually mean anything?

I mean i interview about 15-30 people a year and maybe get 10-15 of these emails. I've never once said oh yea, i forgot about Jim or...i want to offer fred the position but I'll wait to see if he sends a follow up email.

Is it just more of a...you got nothing to lose thing?  Keep me in their minds thing? 

I usually leave the interview knowing if i want the applicant and can remember 2 times when the applicants follow up email was actually a bit of a turn off.

I interview a similar number of people per year, erring more towards 30 than 15. It is very rare that I don't know the candidate or candidates that I want as soon as that round of interviews is over. I pay little attention to the "thank you" email. Though I have had the second or third choice drop completely out of the running because they contacted me too much.

I mean i interview about 15-30 people a year and maybe get 10-15 of these emails. I've never once said oh yea, i forgot about Jim or...i want to offer fred the position but I'll wait to see if he sends a follow up email.

Is it just more of a...you got nothing to lose thing?  Keep me in their minds thing? 

I usually leave the interview knowing if i want the applicant and can remember 2 times when the applicants follow up email was actually a bit of a turn off.
They mean something for the applicant to see if a decision has been made already. 

TheIronSheik said:

Justin being good to you?

We had a candidate who was the top candidate for the job with a good interview and strong resume not get the position solely because of their cover letter. It was a super positive and upbeat cover letter about making a difference in the world and we did not want to be the company that crushed their dreams. 

As others have said, I would wait until after Labor Day. 

Based on what you said, it sounds like you have a very strong shot at the job. As someone also noted, when you're on that side, the time elapse seems like forever, but on the hiring side it might be just a slight time delay. Be a bit patient and follow up after the weekend.

Or, given your avatar, you can just send them a joint and say "it would be a lot cooler if you hired me."

I agree with this.  I'd never pick the lesser candidate due to having sent a follow up email vs. a greater candidate who did not.

I don't think it's that people think they forgot.  But sometimes I think the hiring people forget that an update might be nice.  

jomar said:

TIA
You never know.  If they are interviewing more than you they might have loved another person more? :shrug:  

if they have a pretty sweet parking lot you could get in your car and do burnies in a circle until they come out and ask you what in the hell is going on and when they see it is you they will respect your initiative and probably make the offer right there on the spot in the lot and that my friends is life in the big city take that to the bank brochachos

Are you talking no-followup at all? Or following up weeks after an interview?

I want to see one follow-up email within 24-48 hours of the interview. Otherwise I assume you don't actually want the job.

I always appreciate the follow up email.  It lets me know that person at least has a little class and appreciates the time it takes to conduct interviews.  That being said, if I know I want to hire someone, I don't forget about them or need additional reminders after the fact. 

thanks for the responses, fellas.  I'll think I'll wait until after Labor Day to follow up :thumbup:

kind of disappointed by the lack of schtick though.  I gotta say, I was kinda thinking about sleeping with the guy's wife but no one has suggested it, so there goes that idea

Are you talking no-followup at all? Or following up weeks after an interview?

I want to see one follow-up email within 24-48 hours of the interview. Otherwise I assume you don't actually want the job.
Really?

That seems extremely off putting and pompous. 

I was referring to sending a follow up in general. 

If a candidate can't be bothered to write two sentences thanking the interviewer for their time and reiterating their interest in the position then I'm very comfortable passing on them.
The problem is I've heard people say the exact opposite.  That they don't want to be bothered and if they get an email the next day, they won't consider that candidate.

It's what makes the entire job hunting process a horrible minefield.  

The problem is I've heard people say the exact opposite.  That they don't want to be bothered and if they get an email the next day, they won't consider that candidate.

It's what makes the entire job hunting process a horrible minefield.  
That's interesting. I've never heard any hiring manager take that stance. But I take your point and I'm sure some do.

And no question, job hunting is the worst.

It's silly to eliminate a good candidate just because they email you (or don't email you) a thank you.  What a bad measure.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
If a candidate can't be bothered to write two sentences thanking the interviewer for their time and reiterating their interest in the position then I'm very comfortable passing on them.
You mean writing 2 sentences 24 to 48 hours after I looked you in the eye shook your hand thanked you for taking the time to interview me with the obvious interest I have in the position because I showed up for the interview?

Is a call instead of an email more or less an indicator of how much the applicant wants the job?

What if they reach out twice in a week. Does that show hunger or starts to cross the annoyance line?

I interviewed someone last Thursday for an applicant who would be in another department.  That manager wanted my thoughts. I happened to be more talkative in this interview than the other 2 also conducting the interview. I left the guy my card. The next day i get a call on my cell ll, i dont recognize the number. I pick it up and its the applicant wanting to know if a decision was made. (Got an email from him an hour after he left). I was a bit flustered as i didn't know at 1st who he was but left the conversation a tad annoyed and told him the QA manager is the ultimate decision maker on this one. 

Maybe it's just me and that I'm constantly being pulled at work that i don't want/need to be reached out for these types of calls?

You mean writing 2 sentences 24 to 48 hours after I looked you in the eye shook your hand thanked you for taking the time to interview me with the obvious interest I have in the position because I showed up for the interview?

Is a call instead of an email more or less an indicator of how much the applicant wants the job?

What if they reach out twice in a week. Does that show hunger or starts to cross the annoyance line?

I interviewed someone last Thursday for an applicant who would be in another department.  That manager wanted my thoughts. I happened to be more talkative in this interview than the other 2 also conducting the interview. I left the guy my card. The next day i get a call on my cell ll, i dont recognize the number. I pick it up and its the applicant wanting to know if a decision was made. (Got an email from him an hour after he left). I was a bit flustered as i didn't know at 1st who he was but left the conversation a tad annoyed and told him the QA manager is the ultimate decision maker on this one. 

Maybe it's just me and that I'm constantly being pulled at work that i don't want/need to be reached out for these types of calls?
I'm not really sure what's confusing about this. A short follow-up email directly after the interview tells me you really are interested in the position and understand the importance of professional communication.

Multiple e-mails and/or phone calls show me you don't understand appropriate communication.

Neither is necessarily disqualifying. But both are telling.

You spend time reviewing their background, interviewing them.. and an email is the deal breaker?

I'm not really sure what's confusing about this. A short follow-up email directly after the interview tells me you really are interested in the position and understand the importance of professional communication.

Multiple e-mails and/or phone calls show me you don't understand appropriate communication.

Neither is necessarily disqualifying. But both are telling.
This rigid and hard ### stance is telling.

I'll take fewer emails in my inbox any day.

Those follow up emails are akin to the people sending me emails saying "thank you".  /delete

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:  I ended up emailing the General Counsel guy (who I shared a mutual friend with and the one who had emailed me back the day after the interview) on the Wednesday after Labor Day.  I asked him what the status was and he said they were just busy with hiring field personnel and time was flying by.  He would follow up with the owner and hopefully 'have some positive news for me soon.'  Good sign.  Earlier this week, I received an email from the owner to set up a time to talk about salary and benefits.  We talked yesterday and he extended an offer.  :thumbup:   Good chance I end up taking it unless my current employer pulls something better out of their ###.

Anyway, the takeaway from this is that this board knows what it's talking about.  Never doubt it's advice.  Thanks, FBG!

UPDATE:  I ended up emailing the General Counsel guy (who I shared a mutual friend with and the one who had emailed me back the day after the interview) on the Wednesday after Labor Day.  I asked him what the status was and he said they were just busy with hiring field personnel and time was flying by.  He would follow up with the owner and hopefully 'have some positive news for me soon.'  Good sign.  Earlier this week, I received an email from the owner to set up a time to talk about salary and benefits.  We talked yesterday and he extended an offer.  :thumbup:   Good chance I end up taking it unless my current employer pulls something better out of their ###.

Anyway, the takeaway from this is that this board knows what it's talking about.  Never doubt it's advice.  Thanks, FBG!
Congrats.  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread