What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite Bedbug story? (1 Viewer)

What is your favorite bedbug story?

• Trump: No bedbugs at Doral! Narrator: Doral settles Bedbug case

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • NYT Op-Ed writer Bret Stephens is a Metaphorical bedbug

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Add your own bedbug anecdote

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
Seems like the news is crawling with bedbugs today.  Doral is full of bedbugs, Trump is denying it, while the club settles a case in court.  NYT news room is full of bedbugs.  NYT Op-Ed writer is call a metaphorical bedbug on Twitter by a college professor - responds by cc'ing the Provost of the college - which takes a tweet that was originally "liked" by 9 people, and turned into a national story.

What is your favorite bedbug story?

I can't vote for Stephens as my favorite, mostly because my alma mater (in a letter from one of my former professors) offered Stephens a speaking gig out of it.

In 2017, inspectors found “filth flies” buzzing around the food in the Trump Tower kitchen. Employees, they found in a separate inspection the same year, sported “soiled” garments and were not wearing hair nets. The year before, inspectors found live roaches.

Trump Tower’s roach situation, though, paled in comparison to the infestation at Doral, where Florida authorities reported 524 health-code violations from 2013 to 2018, according to state health records and research compiled by the Democratic super PAC American Bridge.

In 2015, they found “approximately 20-25 live roaches... on the walls, baseboards and floors in the kitchen food prep area and behind a utensil table inside a wall crack.” They also reported between 20 and 30 “live, small flying insects... in the kitchen and dishwasher room.”

Inspectors recommended that the state issue an emergency order and temporarily shutter the Doral kitchen. It’s not clear if it was ever actually shut down.
TDB

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is Bret Stephens and why is he so angry at a college professor? Who is the professor? How is this national news?

IvanKaramazov said:
The Bret Stephens thing is one of the all-time great Streisand effect boomerangs, right?  From now until the day he shuffles off his mortal coil, he'll always be "the bedbug," all because he couldn't take a harmless joke from some anonymous nobody.
The fact that he made whatever name he had calling college students a bunch of safe space craving snowflakes makes it all the more delicious.

rockaction said:
Who is Bret Stephens and why is he so angry at a college professor? Who is the professor? How is this national news?
I think this can be summarized as: Big Important Wall Street Journal conservative manically searched internet for people saying mean things about him and then tried to get at least one of them fired.

rockaction said:
He is a free speech guy - which makes this even more hilarious 

Previous tweet from Stephens - before he deleted his account

ETA - but to your point - I had no idea who he was until this all blew up, and now he is Bedbug Guy

Really hoping this is some awesome “life imitates art” shtick and we’ve just been introduced to the season 3 villain on The Tick

Bucky86 said:
It’s so fitting his places are s holes.
I heard the golf properties in Ireland are fantastic.  For real.  

My distain for Trump stops at the front door of a shoot up and sleep after a long round in the wind and rain. 

People need to live...

Op-Ed: I made a joke about Bret Stephens and bedbugs. His response was never about civility

This was never about civility; it was about power. Bret Stephens cc’d my provost because he wanted to impose a social penalty on me for making jokes about him online. That isn’t a call for polite, civil, rational discourse. It’s an exercise of power. He wanted me and my employer to realize that I had offended an important voice at the paper of record. When powerful people demand civility from those with less power, what they are really saying is that they expect obedience from their lessers. //

This story will be forgotten in a week. Stephens will have a new nickname; my classes will be slightly more popular. But the lesson here is about power — how we build it, how we deploy it, and how we use it responsibly. I hope my students learn something memorable from it. Perhaps Stephens will, too.

"Good grief.

This is laughable. I'm embarrassed for Stephens. I'm embarrassed for the NYT. I'm embarrassed by the obviously fake comments, lauding Mr Stephen's masterpiece.

It is poorly researched in the extreme, written to fit into the authors view of his persecution.

Awful.

Just awful.

I'm not paying to read this nonsense.

NYT, I'm embarrassed that you published this. Do you hold your readers in such lowly contempt?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/opinion/world-war-ii-anniversary.html

For those that used up their free NYT articles already and refuse to pay for general news, here's the peak cringe:

The political mind-set that turned human beings into categories, classes and races also turned them into rodents, insects and garbage. “Anti-Semitism is exactly the same as delousing,” Heinrich Himmler would claim in 1943. “Getting rid of lice is not a matter of ideology. It is a matter of cleanliness.” Watching Warsaw’s Jewish ghetto burn that year, a Polish anti-Semite was overheard saying: “The bedbugs are on fire. The Germans are doing a great job.”
Yes, that's actually a quote from Stephens's column. I didn't make it up.  This guy writes for the most influential newspaper on the planet and can't get over a little joke that some random nobody made about him on social media.

For those that used up their free NYT articles already and refuse to pay for general news, here's the peak cringe:

Yes, that's actually a quote from Stephens's column. I didn't make it up.  This guy writes for the most influential newspaper on the planet and can't get over a little joke that some random nobody made about him on social media.
Dear God. Was he comparing being called a bedbug to Naziism and their dehumanization tactics? That's, uh, quite the leap. 

Dear God. Was he comparing being called a bedbug to Naziism and their dehumanization tactics? That's, uh, quite the leap. 
Sure, to you "Ha ha the New York Times has bedbugs but I'll bet it's really just [insert columnist I dislike]!" was just a little-too-obvious-to-really-be-funny joke.  But you who else made jokes about public figures?  Nazis, that's who. 

Sure, to you "Ha ha the New York Times has bedbugs but I'll bet it's really just [insert columnist I dislike]!" was just a little-too-obvious-to-really-be-funny joke.  But you who else made jokes about public figures?  Nazis, that's who. 
Whenever we used to see somebody acting so outside the scope of their actual authority because everyone around them was either constantly obsequious or enabling their delusions of grandeur, we'd just say...

Top men. The best.

Bret Stephens Backs Out of Bedbug Debate

New York Times opinion columnist and man who thinks it’s deeply important to engage in open debate Bret Stephens has backed out of an upcoming scheduled event at George Washington University, where he was set to discuss civil discourse online with professor Dave Karpf. The discussion would have put a bow on a highly public back-and-forth Stephens instigated a month and a half ago, but at the last minute, Stephens insisted that the event be closed to the public. When Karpf disagreed, Stephens pulled out entirely.

Scar-Spangled Bed Bugs

Oh, say can you see, any bed bugs on me?
If you do, take a few, 'cause I got them off of you.
They have scars and broad stripes; they annoy me at night.
O'er the hair parts we watched, are now gallantly gleaming.
And the flashlights' red glare, the bugs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night, that no bugs were still there.
Oh, say does no scar-spangled bed bug yet wave
O'er the bed that's bed bug free, and the home that was saved?

Lyrics by Bill Williams

New York Times opinion columnist and man who thinks it’s deeply important to engage in open debate Bret Stephens has backed out of an upcoming scheduled event at George Washington University, where he was set to discuss civil discourse online with professor Dave Karpf. The discussion would have put a bow on a highly public back-and-forth Stephens instigated a month and a half ago, but at the last minute, Stephens insisted that the event be closed to the public. When Karpf disagreed, Stephens pulled out entirely.
What a tool.

Wow man, these college kids and their safe spaces, I guess they’re too scared of the marketplace of ideas, unbelievable

Ben Norton @BenjaminNorton

Replying to @nytopinion

After right-wing propagandist Bret Stephens vomited out racist propaganda claiming the "Arab mind" is "diseased," now he's basically promoting eugenics and fake "race science" in the pages of US gov mouthpiece the NYT

Just shut down this garbage newspaper

Bret Stephens is relying on fake "research" done by a literal white supremacist, in this eugenicist screed in the New York Times.

Shut down the newspaper forever. The world will be much better off.

Don't have a favorite, but I was living in a not great place and had a bedbug crawl on my face.

Moved to a different spot and sanitized the #### out of the place

Users who are viewing this thread