What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why don't airlines charge passengers for excessive weight? (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
I mean.....they are quick to charge someone if their checked bag is 5 lbs over the limit but if Bubba in seat 33A weighs 350 lbs....no charge. 

Not sure how this would be implemented exactly.

I mean.....they are quick to charge someone if their checked bag is 5 lbs over the limit but if Bubba in seat 33A weighs 350 lbs....no charge. 

They don't weigh carry-ons either.  But, I agree, they should charge fatties (or let me carry more of my ####)

Who knows how airlines price their product? You could be sitting in a seat where the guy on your left paid twice what you paid, and the guy on your right paid half.  It’s got to be one of the most complex and incomprehensible pricing models in the entire marketplace. 

Walking across a scale as you get ready to board would give a whole new meaning to the term cattle class..

They don't weigh carry-ons either.  But, I agree, they should charge fatties (or let me carry more of my ####)
There are weight limits on carry-ons, but they aren't enforced.

Concerning the OP, some small planes do charge for the combined weight of passenger + baggage.

They really should charge for both weight and volume. Weight directly impacts fuel use, while volume effects the extra space on a flight.

I propose pre-flight weigh-ins and submersion in a water tank to determine displacement. Multiply the two to determine a fair fare.   

What about #####-baggy passengers who demand a disproportionate amount of the crew’s in-flight time, or those who leave more of a mess behind for someone to clean up? You charging them more? 

If you’re hung up on this it must be a tough day-to-day go for you flying or not.

It would most assuredly be implemented in a way in which only the tiniest people end up under the weight that's deemed "excessive" by the airline. 

I wouldn't call people like The Rock fat.  He would have to pay extra too. This isn't about fat shaming.
It kind of is, but so what? People that are super obese negatively affect other people. 

If airlines actually enforced the rules they already have in place there would probably be almost no complaints. 

I thought fat people were charged for 2 seats. 
I remember Kevin Smith throwing a fit awhile back when he got thrown off a flight because he could not fit in one seat, and the flight was full so he could not buy a second seat.

I think most airlines have on their books, but I don't think enforced strongly enough.

The airline business is one of the most interesting business models in the history of business. Like, I imagine a bunch of rich guys sitting around talking about starting a business, and one of them stands up and says this:

Rich Guy 1: "Guys - I got it! We should start a company that transports people from one place to another. We'll charge them a price, but then nickle and dime them to death on other stuff. On top of that, we'll treat them like cattle and make them go through corrals before they get on the plane. And get this? We can even charge them extra to go stand first in that cattle line. And at the end of the day, our customer base will just get frustrated and irritated and pissed off yet they will STILL pay us good money to get where they want to go! We'll make billions!!" 

Rich Guy #2 stands up: "Wait you mean we will create a business that frustrates and irritates our customer base and basically treat them like crap, yet they will continue to use us and pay us?

Rich Guy 1: "Absolutely!"

All The Other Rich Guys: "WE ARE IN!!"

:banned:

I don't believe in fat shaming, but when the guy next to me takes up his seat and half of mine, there has to be a solution other than me having to just "deal with it".
So in other words fat shaming. 

At least according to plenty of SJW's. There are actually people out there that say complimenting somebody on their recent weight loss would be fat shaming to anybody that overheard such a compliment. 

Accusing people of fat shaming is nothing more than an attempt to shame them into just dealing with it. Oh you pointed out to the flight attendant that the man next to you was spilling into your seat in clear violation of the airline rules? Fat shamer!!! 

If somebody is standing up in the aisle and pointing out to everybody on the plane, "Hey look this dude cant fit into a seat! He probably lives at the mandalay bay buffet!" then by all means, call them a fat shamer and ridicule them.

But if the guy gets the attention of the flight attendant and points out how he clearly is smashing him into a window and the people right nearby overhear, that isn't fat shaming. That is something that a lot of people should have already addressed discreetly and are just hoping nobody speaks up. Us allowing people to brand that as fat shaming is ridiculous. 

I was flying from Houston to Florida a few years back for a conference.  I always book an aisle seat and, as most of us do, pay attention to the people coming on the flight hoping for the flight to either not be full or at least to not to get a "bad" single serving friend.  On this flight I was in the aisle and another dude was already in the window and the waiting began.  As boarding appeared to be winding down a very large older man, picture "Fats" from Weird Science, starts working his way down and, of course, he had the middle seat.  My natural instinct was to, of course, be polite and not show signs of any frustration and as "Fats" settled into the the seat he looked at me and the guy on the window and, in almost an exact "Fats" voice said:

"Son, we ain't in love but we gonna be close."

We couldn't help but burst out laughing and, that one simple act of acknowledging reality and humanizing the situation with some humor changed my entire perspective.  And, even though nothing in my physical reality changed, it was a perfectly enjoyable 3 hours, or so, flight.

bad press.  /thread
Yep. Bad PR. That's it. 

But maybe, just maybe, if the air lines did a pre-emptive strike with an ad campaign explaining that it all comes down to the weight and that those that take up too much space or weigh too much (wither obese or just a giant human like and NFL player) are going to pay more, then maybe it could be done. But I doubt that ever happens. We are a society of enablers. We don't help anyone inhibit a bad habit or a vice. It is encouraged at pretty much every level. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How does charging them more change your reality of having to sit next to a large person?
Probably increase the likelihood of them taking another form of transportation (auto, train, cargo ship, etc.) or to buy two seats at "regular" prices.  

I don't believe in fat shaming, but when the guy next to me takes up his seat and half of mine, there has to be a solution other than me having to just "deal with it".
Solution = Take a bus.  Drive your own vehicle.  Get rich and buy your own plane.   YW

Their is a solution.  Take a bus.  Drive your own vehicle.  Get rich and buy your own plane.   YW
Don't care how rich I got, I would never do this.  Too many horror stories (JFK Jr, Payne Stewart, many rich unknowns).

But I wouldn't fly coach either at that point.

I think it's absurd that someone who physically takes up two seats isn't charged for it, and the poor sap who just wants his seat instead of half of one is accused of fat shaming.  If you dont want to be put in these situations, put down the ham sandwich and do some exercise.  

Yep. Bad PR. That's it. 

But maybe, just maybe, if the air lines did a pre-emptive strike with an ad campaign explaining that it all comes down to the weight and that those that take up too much space or weigh too much (wither obese or just a giant human like and NFL player) are going to pay more, then maybe it could be done. But I doubt that ever happens. We are a society of enablers. We don't help anyone inhibit a bad habit or a vice. It is encouraged at pretty much every level. 
You do realize that planes fly at 1000’s of pounds, under maximum capacity, right?  

Minimum 20” seats should be mandatory on commercial planes. The fact they’re shrinking is criminal imo, even for average size people. 

“Advocacy group Flyer Rights has noted that the average width of airplane seatshas been reduced from 18.5 inches to 17 inches. The average pitch (legroom) between seats has decreased from 35 inches to 31 inches, and in some aircraft, the pitch is as little as 28 inches.”

Our movie theater seats used to be about 19” and now we have leather recliners that are about 22” wide plus 4” armrests. Ridiculously comfortable and there’s personal space to spare. 

You do realize that planes fly at 1000’s of pounds, under maximum capacity, right?  
I've been on multiple flights where people had to be moved around in the cabin to redistribute the weight. Usually smaller planes, but jet planes none the less. 

Oh, and why not trying that argument next time your checked bag is over the weight limit and they assess you a fee. 

I've been on multiple flights where people had to be moved around in the cabin to redistribute the weight. Usually smaller planes, but jet planes none the less. 

Oh, and why not trying that argument next time your checked bag is over the weight limit and they assess you a fee. 
you're missing the point.  all of the weight based fees are a simple money grab.  as @the rover said above.  luggage won't sue you, for calling it heavy.  people will.  and the bad press, will cost the airlines more money as well.  never going to happen.  so, enjoy flying with our jumbo friends.

The last 2 times I flew, fatties booked the front row, once right next to me, which means you have to be able to open the door in an emergency. Both were so fat that they needed the extender. Well, you can't have the extender if you are responsible for the emergency door so you gotta move back a few rows and let someone take your seat. So they paid the extra and didn't get to sit in the front row. :lmao:  

Employees don’t have to pick up the 350-pound passenger or the carry-on bag. 
This is 100% the reason. They don’t weigh carry on bags because the customer has to lug it around. There’s no liability if a passenger hurts their back lifting their own luggage.

Good point.  On a similar idea, why do the childless have to pay property taxes?  They aren't putting kids through the public school system.  Make people pay property taxes multiplied by the number of kids they have.  It's only fair.

The last 2 times I flew, fatties booked the front row, once right next to me, which means you have to be able to open the door in an emergency. Both were so fat that they needed the extender. Well, you can't have the extender if you are responsible for the emergency door so you gotta move back a few rows and let someone take your seat. So they paid the extra and didn't get to sit in the front row. :lmao:  
How dare they fat shame that guy! It's not like his condition is completely preventable and fixable!

Would super skinnies ands kids fly for less than the fare of an "average"?  maybe mandate that for comfort and safety persons more than a standard deviation over the average in height or weight must pay or and sit in business class and have business class on all or most flights. 

Would super skinnies ands kids fly for less than the fare of an "average"?  maybe mandate that for comfort and safety persons more than a standard deviation over the average in height or weight must pay or and sit in business class and have business class on all or most flights. 
No, its only if you physically take up more than your seat.  It's simple logic really.  If you need two seats, pay for two seats.  

No, its only if you physically take up more than your seat.  It's simple logic really.  If you need two seats, pay for two seats.  
I think of business class seats as being about 1&1/2 seats as for space.  put those in and do not let us robust individuals (read large fat asses) in any other seat. 

All people don't press themselves up against you for hours at a time. 
Instead of putting the onus on the airlines to charge more and overweight people to pay more, which we know will never happen, perhaps you should take charge of your own comfort level and pay more for a larger seat in the front of the plane.

Passing the burden onto others is very millennial thinking IMO. 

Instead of putting the onus on the airlines to charge more and overweight people to pay more, which we know will never happen, perhaps you should take charge of your own comfort level and pay more for a larger seat in the front of the plane.

Passing the burden onto others is very millennial thinking IMO. 
It already happens. On most airlines it is the actual policy. I am simply asking airlines to enforce their own rules. 

But nice attempt at diversion there with the millenial comment. 

And by the way, some airlines dont have first class. 

No, but all people who use public transportation do.
Stop making things up. I almost never have people pressed up against me on public transportation. If i do it is usually for very short periods of time on methods of transport that dont have individually assigned seats. 

Users who are viewing this thread