What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the newest candy bar that is a classic? (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Worded oddly, I know.  But was talking with some friends about how they don't really come out with great candy bars anymore.  You can only mix nougat, chocolate and caramel so many ways, I guess.  It came down to only a couple of opinions, but I'm sure we're missing some (a lot).  There's a Take 5 bar which is new and very good.  But is it a classic?  I don't think so.  And by classic, we mean is it at every convenience store and is it well known by most people who eat candy?  And do people generally like it?

Other than that, we had to go back to a Whatchamacallit and a Skor bar.  And I was surprised to learn that a Skor bar is younger.

100 Grand maybe?

ETA: whoa, it's way older than I thought

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to say the Whatchamacallit (1979) has to be a classic.
I remember when both Whatchamacallit and Twix were brand-new, but I can't remember which is newer.

To me, Twix is higher up on the 'classic' scale than Whatchamacallit ... though I've enjoyed many of both over the years :D  

I also remember when Zero bars were new, and they were a huge deal for a while in the 1980s. They don't seem to have the profile today that they once did, though. Probably not a classic, but seemed to be on its way for a while.

Would Nestle's white chocolate bar be considered classic? That's not very old ... might even be 1990s vintage (gotta look these up).

EDIT: Sheesh, Zero bars have existed in some form since 1920. But they weren't sold around here (that I can recall) until I was in 4th or 5th grade or something like that.

I remember when both Whatchamacallit and Twix were brand-new, but I can't remember which is newer.

To me, Twix is higher up on the 'classic' scale than Whatchamacallit ... though I've enjoyed many of both over the years :D  

I also remember when Zero bars were new, and they were a huge deal for a while in the 1980s. They don't seem to have the profile today that they once did, though. Probably not a classic, but seemed to be on its way for a while.

Would Nestle's white chocolate bar be considered classic? That's not very old ... might even be 1990s vintage (gotta look these up).
It says Twix was invented in 1967 but put out in America in 1979.  Not sure what the correct number to use here would be.

As for the white chocolate, I think that's just a variation of another candy bar.  So I would say it's not really a new creation.

Worded oddly, I know.  But was talking with some friends about how they don't really come out with great candy bars anymore.  You can only mix nougat, chocolate and caramel so many ways, I guess.  It came down to only a couple of opinions, but I'm sure we're missing some (a lot).  There's a Take 5 bar which is new and very good.  But is it a classic?  I don't think so.  And by classic, we mean is it at every convenience store and is it well known by most people who eat candy?  And do people generally like it?

Other than that, we had to go back to a Whatchamacallit and a Skor bar.  And I was surprised to learn that a Skor bar is younger.
Take 5 is my go-to now.  

Take 5 is my go-to now.  
When it first came out, I was working at HP and they had it in their vending machine.  I would eat one everyday.  Loved that thing.  I don't eat a lot of candy anymore, but I do love that thing.  So good.  But I can tell other people about it and they're like, "Never heard of it."  So I wasn't sure if it was a classic.

When it first came out, I was working at HP and they had it in their vending machine.  I would eat one everyday.  Loved that thing.  I don't eat a lot of candy anymore, but I do love that thing.  So good.  But I can tell other people about it and they're like, "Never heard of it."  So I wasn't sure if it was a classic.
My son (13) likes Take 5s, and they've been included for several years in those Halloween mix bags of mini-candy bars along with the more famous old-school bars. So Take 5 is on the right path. Not a classic yet ... but ask around in 20 years.

Is this a classic?  I think I've had it a couple times, not sure why.  Maybe Halloween?  But not sure it's a classic.  Just my opinion, though.  I could be wrong.
Yeah probably not a classic. Was thinking more of newer stuff that has the potential to be a classic. It’s damn good and I see it everywhere. 

Here's one: Dove Bar Miniatures. Having trouble proving it, but I don't think these were around much earlier than ~the year 2000. They've been popular with the white-collar set (especially office ladies) for going on 15 years or so. IMHO, those are already classic confections -- and remember, the name "Dove Bar" historically referred to an ice cream bar that dates back to the 1950s. So while the "Dove Bar" name is old ... it's the latecomer Miniatures confection that I'm saying is potentially a new classic.

The individually wrapped Ghirardelli squares are similar -- Ghirardelli is an old-line company, but how old are those squares and how long have they been sold nation-wide?

Symphony Bars went national in 1989 after a few years of testing in California. Not sure if they're classic or not ... but they have a fairly high profile with people who bake.

EDIT: Sheesh, Zero bars have existed in some form since 1920. But they weren't sold around here (that I can recall) until I was in 4th or 5th grade or something like that.
Twix is a great call.

Here's one: Dove Bar Miniatures. Having trouble proving it, but I don't think these were around much earlier than ~the year 2000. They've been popular with the white-collar set (especially office ladies) for going on 15 years or so. IMHO, those are already classic confections -- and remember, the name "Dove Bar" historically referred to an ice cream bar that dates back to the 1950s. So while the "Dove Bar" name is old ... it's the latecomer Miniatures confection that I'm saying is potentially a new classic.

The individually wrapped Ghirardelli squares are similar -- Ghirardelli is an old-line company, but how old are those squares and how long have they been sold nation-wide?

Symphony Bars went national in 1989 after a few years of testing in California. Not sure if they're classic or not ... but they have a fairly high profile with people who bake.
But the Dove Bar came out in like the 1920's.  So this would fall under a variation of an existing candy, no?

I've become a huge fan of the Reese's Sticks - more or less a knock off of the Little Debbie Nutty Bars - but don't think they are close to "classic" status as a whole. 

Milky Way midnight. I consider them very different than a regular milky way...I know. I know.  You all don't. Still a classic for me.

Damn...1936??? lol nvm

That doesnt mean it cant be the newest candy bar thats a classic which is what you asked.
That's true.  But I think there are other contenders out there past 1967.  The Whatchamacallit seems to be the leader in the clubhouse at this point.

But that's 1967.  
but that's in Europe so it doesn't count ;)  . Having a 79 date in America makes it on par with Watchamacallit and solid choice, IMO. 
I would say that nationwide release date/year in the U.S. is what should count. At least if you're asking around here on the FFA.

There are also quite a few classic candy bars that are or were sold in the U.S. regionally only -- Clark bars are a good example. I suspect Ghirardelli products are similar (Bay Area and/or California only for a long time), but I haven't researched it.

It took them 26 years to add 2 almonds to a Mounds bar and call it an Almond Joy?! I guess I assumed they made them both at the same time, one sans-nuts. 

My favorite candy bar as a kid was the Mars Bar, which changed its formula sometime in the '70s or '80s to add caramel (basically making it a Snickers bar but with almonds -- which is why it was replaced by Snickers Almond in 2002.)

That's true.  But I think there are other contenders out there past 1967.  The Whatchamacallit seems to be the leader in the clubhouse at this point.
I definitely remember Whatchamacallits being new back in the grade school days.  We had roller skating rink nights for elementary school, and I'd get my four shiny quarters to spend on whatever I wanted from the counter.  Darn those Whatchamallits were good stuff.

That said, I can't say for certain I see them in the candy aisle everywhere I go.  I would probably have gotten them more often if they were more common.

also, this thread reminds me... my name appears on ESPN.com twice - once for winning a stuart scott bobble head doll. Once for winning a chance to play fantasy football with Mike and Mike almost 20 years ago. Shortly after Greenie joined the show, they did the "buongiorno fantasy football league" and gave away 'seats' to listeners in various ways. Deon Sanders had some quote about that time saying that after he retired, the NFL should re-name the cornerback position "The Deon" because of how good he was. So, they gave away one of the seats based on having you rename football positions after some theme. I sent in an entry renaming them after candy bars because of Golic's obsession with food and won a seat, then proceeded to win the league. My entry had things like:

Defensive ends - Kit Kat - break me off a piece of that Quaterback

WRs - mounds or almond joy depending on if they guts to run routes over the middle or not (because almond joys got nuts, mounds don't)

quaterback - 100 grand bar - most expensive player

kicker - twizzlers - twizzlers aren't really candy bars, but kickers aren't really football players

That's my 15 minutes of fame, IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread