What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeSean McCoy (1 Viewer)

GStrot

Footballguy
Adam Schefter is saying the Bills cut Le Sean McCoy on the Twitter.  

Draft him tonight and hope he gets picked up or avoid at all costs? 

Bills are now RBBC or does Singletary step up?  Can Gore make it one more season?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure, but when every article about McCoy coming into camp was that he was in danger because of his salary and cap hit, then I'll give it credence.

Buffalo Bills reportedly cutting running back LeSean McCoy

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Bills are releasing running back LeSean McCoy Saturday.

This does not come as a surprise to me because what I’ve said ever since the offseason began is that it didn’t make much sense to bring back McCoy at a cost of $9 million this season, when the Bills could have saved $6.4 million on the salary cap by releasing a player coming off the worst season of his career.

McCoy was acquired by the Bills in a trade from Philadelphia in 2015 and produced three solid seasons, but he fell off the rails in 2018 playing behind an awful offensive line, and with a rookie quarterback that opposing defenses did not fear.

While the team has not confirmed any of the reported releasing of players, this is developing story. More to come soon.

And every writer that covered it said they were full of it, and they were.
@MatthewFairburn

After the drafting Devin Singletary, Beane said this on LeSean McCoy: "LeSean McCoy is still here. Before you ask that question, he's still the starter. We roll the ball out, there's no questions about that."

who they signing on aug 31 that they needed that cap space?
The cap space rolls over to next year, actual savings of 6 mil this year, they were obviously hoping someone would give them at least a late round pick.

The fact that a lot of the fantasy community saw this coming and that nobody traded for him goes to show how little the talking heads actually know. They’ve been saying all summer that McCoy won’t get cut, just eating out of the team’s hand when everybody else (including the team) knew what was going to happen.

@MatthewFairburn

After the drafting Devin Singletary, Beane said this on LeSean McCoy: "LeSean McCoy is still here. Before you ask that question, he's still the starter. We roll the ball out, there's no questions about that."
I don't care about what the team said publicly, every astute writer or commenter talked about the six million and said they'd believe he was on the team when they saw it. It wasn't even close.

I don't care about what the team said publicly, every astute writer or commenter talked about the six million and said they'd believe he was on the team when they saw it. It wasn't even close.
I feel like many of the big voices in the football media, not the beat writers, kept pushing that McCoy was going to stay. Which is stupid because it was obvious he was gone

if he was better than the 40yr old, he'd still be on the roster. which was my entire point.

he's not. he's a lame duck

if he was better than the 40yr old, he'd still be on the roster. which was my entire point.

he's not. he's a lame duck
He's 6.4 million dollars in savings. You're not going to get all indignant obtuse like Gordon/Chubb/etc., are you? Because then there's no point in this exercise.

Did you get to watch Buffalo's line last year? It was legendarily bad. Ask a Bills fan about it. McCoy was toast behind them. 
GL to you if you want to invest in a 31 year old back that did that. You’re going to need it. You can pile excuses to the sun, there is no coming back.

GL to you if you want to invest in a 31 year old back that did that. You’re going to need it. You can pile excuses to the sun, there is no coming back.
That's fair. That's at least a measured response that points to evidence. I have to argue that he had nowhere to go, which is always less convincing then numbers, but the OL was that bad.

I mean, you still need to wait until later in the draft for this guy, but he could be nice around the 6th or so.

That's fair. That's at least a measured response that points to evidence. I have to argue that he had nowhere to go, which is always less convincing then numbers, but the OL was that bad.
I posted a measured link to begin with, you responded with emotions and what you think your eyes told you. Shady was bad. You want more facts... Fact #1: he wasn’t cut for Singletary or the money; Fact #2: he was cut for 36 year old Frank Gore and former bust TJ Yeldon. My goodness, what more do you need to tell you that he is done?

Exactly. I was going to try and trade for him from the general manager in our league, but this kind of flew by me.
Wait, wait, wait... so you blame the Bills line for last year but Shady is going to improve behind a line that is the worst in the league? 😂

I posted a measured link to begin with, you responded with emotions and what you think your eyes told you. Shady was bad. You want more facts... Fact #1: he wasn’t cut for Singletary or the money; Fact #2: he was cut for 36 year old Frank Gore and former bust TJ Yeldon. My goodness, what more do you need to tell you that he is done?
I didn't respond with any emotion at all. I mean, all you had to do was watch last year or hang out in the Bills thread, which I do. I keep tabs.

Wait, wait, wait... so you blame the Bills line for last year but Shady is going to improve behind a line that is the worst in the league? 😂
Didn't they just invest a bunch of draft capital in their line in Houston? I was under the impression they took two rather high picks in the draft.

Didn't they just invest a bunch of draft capital in their line in Houston? I was under the impression they took two rather high picks in the draft.
The LT they got was not considered NFL ready and reach at the time of the draft. Philly basically sniped them for who they wanted. Their line has been a complete disaster this preseason. Watson’s running ability is what gives people hope in the Texans RB. That’s why they’re trying to get Tunsil this last week.

Shady was bad. You want more facts... Fact #1: he wasn’t cut for Singletary or the money; Fact #2: he was cut for 36 year old Frank Gore and former bust TJ Yeldon. My goodness, what more do you need to tell you that he is done?
How exactly do you know those are facts?

In my opinion, and that of most everyone else, is that this was far more about the money than anything else.

McCoy is definitely not done. He will go somewhere else and contribute. I'm not saying he'll make a Pro Bowl, but he'll definitely help somewhere else. 

The LT they got was not considered NFL ready and reach at the time of the draft. Philly basically sniped them for who they wanted. Their line has been a complete disaster this preseason. Watson’s running ability is what gives people hope in the Texans RB. That’s why they’re trying to get Tunsil this last week.
I understand they were trying to get Tunsil at left tackle; I wasn't aware that both guys had flamed. I assumed. I had to watch Houston all of last year and Watson was running for his life all year, yes.

How exactly do you know those are facts?

In my opinion, and that of most everyone else, is that this was far more about the money than anything else.

McCoy is definitely not done. He will go somewhere else and contribute. I'm not saying he'll make a Pro Bowl, but he'll definitely help somewhere else. 
The cap hit is irrelevant at this point and they were never going to cut a 3rd round rookie who did anything decent in the preseason. Ergo he was cut in favor of Gore and Yeldon. Plain and simple. Shady already said he was willing to share the backfield an recruited Gore. This was definitely not an attitude or disgraced veteran deal. It’s a move we’re Buffalo is saying: we think he is washed. Given the numbers, I agree. He will sign somewhere but it will be closer to Shaun Alexanders end than LT’s IMO.

I don't think the bump he gets from being rated thirty-six is that great, but it's something where you're going to want to spend late draft capital on him given the situation.

Tampa makes a lot of sense, too.

And shady, you might be right, which is why I didn't take him earlier in my draft. I figured he'd be cut, but he has to land somewhere for it to be worth any draft capital.

Oakland is a destination I haven’t heard anyone bring up. Gruden still likes his vets and only Richard and Washington are behind Jacobs right now.

Dan Graziano‏Verified account @DanGrazianoESPN

I'm not suggesting this will or should dissuade anyone, but it's worth remembering that any team that signs LeSean McCoy before Week 1 would have to guarantee his salary for the entire season. Wait til after Week 1, they wouldn't.

7:17 AM - 31 Aug 2019

Dan Graziano‏Verified account @DanGrazianoESPN

I'm not suggesting this will or should dissuade anyone, but it's worth remembering that any team that signs LeSean McCoy before Week 1 would have to guarantee his salary for the entire season. Wait til after Week 1, they wouldn't.

7:17 AM - 31 Aug 2019
Wasn't this what Dez Bryant was going through last year, IIRC?

The cap hit is irrelevant at this point
This is just your opinion--and a bad one. The reason McCoy moving on was on everybody's radar all offseason, and I mean everyone, is because of his contract. And now that it happened, it's "irrelevant"?

You're just loudly voicing your opinion and calling it fact. There's no need. 

The cap space can be rolled over to next season, used to re-sign one of their own, or used to sign a surprise cut that happens today. Either way, it has value. 

So it's the furthest thing from "irrelevant".

Now this is totally separare from whether McCoy is also washed or not. I have no idea. I don't own a single Chiefs, Texans, Jets, or Bucs RB so selfishly I want him to blow up the RB situation of the most reliable potential bellcow--for me that's prob the Chiefs since I doubt he would have much impact on Bell in NY. 

The cap hit is irrelevant at this point and they were never going to cut a 3rd round rookie who did anything decent in the preseason. Ergo he was cut in favor of Gore and Yeldon. Plain and simple. Shady already said he was willing to share the backfield an recruited Gore. This was definitely not an attitude or disgraced veteran deal. It’s a move we’re Buffalo is saying: we think he is washed. Given the numbers, I agree. He will sign somewhere but it will be closer to Shaun Alexanders end than LT’s IMO.
Oof... Nevermind.

Didn’t know people aware so adamant and butt hurt to defend a washed 31 year old RB with a 3.2 YPC last season. I’m sure hoarding all the Frank Gores, ADP’s and McCoy’s is doing you well in your leagues. 

Users who are viewing this thread