What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jonathan Taylor, IND (1 Viewer)

Wisconsin junior RB Jonathan Taylor said he intends to play in the team's upcoming bowl game, which many NFL draft-ready players have opted to skip in recent seasons.

Taylor (5'11/219) could be the first RB off the board in April, assuming the pre-draft cycle goes as well for him as it should. As such, many players in Taylor's position, like Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey a few years ago, would simply skip the bowl game since it's not a playoff game, but Taylor intends to finish the job. Taylor mentioned that he helped the team get to this point and wants to see it through to the end. Expect Taylor to declare for the draft in the coming weeks, likely after the bowl game.

SOURCE: ESPN

Dec 8, 2019, 12:35 PM ET

Appears either Taylor or Deandre Swift from Georgia will be top rookie RB pick for fantasy next year, unless there are other I'm missing

Appears either Taylor or Deandre Swift from Georgia will be top rookie RB pick for fantasy next year, unless there are other I'm missing

There are so many good prospects; landing with a good team / organization will play a pivotal role in where players land in fantasy.

I’m always going to be skeptical with these Wisconsin backs because that system just always seems to generate massive rushing production. I was impressed with his improved use in the passing game though.

Wisconsin junior RB Jonathan Taylor ran the ball 21 times for 94 yards while catching two passes for 43 yards in Wednesday's 28-27 loss to Oregon in the Rose Bowl Game Presented By Northwestern Mutual.

Oddly enough, Taylor’s impact wasn’t felt on the ground so much as it was felt through the air. Though Taylor (5'11/219) got little going as a runner, his 34-yard reception was the longest receiving gain of any Badger on the day. Taylor finishes his college career with the ridiculous feat of having earned over 1,900 rushing yards in three consecutive seasons. Additionally, Taylor took a huge leap forward as a pass catcher, hauling in 26 passes in 2019 after having caught just 16 passes between the previous two seasons combined. Taylor is a rock-solid back between the tackles with just enough breakaway speed to pose as an all-around threat. It’s no certainty that Taylor will be the first Rb off the board, but don’t expect many RBs to hear their names called before him.

Jan 1, 2020, 9:22 PM ET

I'd love Harris to go 1.1
That would never happen IMO.  In what world, other than some Alabama homer, would that ever happen?  Maybe if KC drafted him some might, but not me.  While I said he belongs with the top 4, that doesn't mean I would take him 1.1 in any scenario. I like Harris, but taking him at 1.1 is not maximizing trading value.  One could trade down, pick up a 2021 1st and still get Harris around the 7 or 8 slot, perhaps even lower.

I was going off what you said... 
Being in the mix of the top RBs doesn't mean someone should take him 1.1.  Trade down and get him later in the 1st if you must and pick up a 2021 1st to boot. .  It would be stupid to draft him 1.1 IMO.  The top 6 players (in no particular order), should be Swift, Taylor, Etienne, Dobbins, Jeudy, and Lamb.  It's easy to see Harris going in the 7-12 range of dynasty drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
This time last year Jacobs was unknown to these boards
I keep seeing this or something similar posted. Jacobs was a stud runner for Bama on television every week. I can’t be the only one here who knew his game very well way before Jan 2019. If thats the case, it speaks to the fantasy group-think which should be avoided at all costs.

Back on topic, pre-landing, I have it: Jeudy, Etienne, Dobbins, Swift, JT, Najee, Lamb. Najee can certainly bump up if he ends up in plus situation.

I did correctly state that it was actually Walterfootball that had Stidham as QB1 on their early rankings. 

And Jacobs didnt have a thread u til 12/27/18... I barely read his name here. Do you have a link of a discussion on Jacob's that occurred prior to 12/27/18?
Iit's been readily known Jacobs was the top RB in 2019.  That certainly wasn't a secret.

I guess I'll eat some crow because I can't find a thread with much talk about him. So I'm sorry for calling you out.

But I distinctly remember talking about him versus Damien Harris when the Tide was making another championship run. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks. I must have missed the deep discussion on him prior to a year ago. I recall a "wait where did this part time guy come from to be the rb1" discussion dominating much of last offseason. 

Regardless, I'll say I was wrong for the sake of ending a stupid debate
Last comment on this I promise. I was referring to people saying Jacobs was an unknown. Not sure about this board in particular. I agree there was debate all spring who was RB1, although he was always there for me. 

The battle for RB1 is much wider this go around. This is much more talented class. I prefer Etienne; seems like a man-child out there; huge ceiling. It’s close though and I remain open-minded. i have 1.1 in a couple leagues, and have Jeudy, Etienne on top of my list.

"Unknown" may be pushing it with Jacobs.  Most people probably at least knew who he was.  But it's fair to say that anyone saying Jacobs was going to be a 1st round NFL pick or even the 1.1 fantasy pick at this time last year would have been laughed off the forum.

Jacobs was a very late riser as a fantasy draft stud.

Nobody thinks Chuba Hubbard is near the same class as Taylor, Harris, Swift and ETN?

Being in the mix of the top RBs doesn't mean someone should take him 1.1.  Trade down and get him later in the 1st if you must and pick up a 2021 1st to boot. .  It would be stupid to draft him 1.1 IMO.  The top 6 players (in no particular order), should be Swift, Taylor, Etienne, Dobbins, Jeudy, and Lamb.  It's easy to see Harris going in the 7-12 range of dynasty drafts.
These kind of comments are humorous to me. All leagues VASTLY vary in regards to “value” and “rankings”. To say it is “stupid” to take a player at a certain spot is just saying it is stupid to not follow consensus rankings (which prove every year to be wrong in some way). You cannot always simply trade down and get the guy you want, at least not in my league. I would much rather “reach” on a guy that I believed in than trade down with the risk of not getting him. If Harris goes to KC he will be in the discussion of 1.1 IMO and I don’t see anything wrong with that. There is no Saquon in this draft and I think these guys are close enough in ranking that landing spot will be a factor.

These kind of comments are humorous to me. All leagues VASTLY vary in regards to “value” and “rankings”. To say it is “stupid” to take a player at a certain spot is just saying it is stupid to not follow consensus rankings (which prove every year to be wrong in some way). You cannot always simply trade down and get the guy you want, at least not in my league. I would much rather “reach” on a guy that I believed in than trade down with the risk of not getting him. If Harris goes to KC he will be in the discussion of 1.1 IMO and I don’t see anything wrong with that. There is no Saquon in this draft and I think these guys are close enough in ranking that landing spot will be a factor.
Only stupid in the sense that you can get him later in the first and get extra pick(s) in the process.  If Harris goes to KC you would have to probably make the decision of Harris over the other RBs.  If he doesn't go to KC he will most certainly go after #6.

Nobody thinks Chuba Hubbard is near the same class as Taylor, Harris, Swift and ETN?
Testing is going to be very important. Given the quality of opponent I think it's much more difficult to compare him to the top 4 (Dobbins, not Harris). I'd like to slide him above Harris, but he needs a strong performance in Indy to validate that. 

Testing is going to be very important. Given the quality of opponent I think it's much more difficult to compare him to the top 4 (Dobbins, not Harris). I'd like to slide him above Harris, but he needs a strong performance in Indy to validate that. 
Yeah, if he blazes at the combine than all bets are off

Here's what some people were posting in the Josh Jacobs thread around this time a year ago:

Just mentioned him in the other thread as one of my two favorites in this class before seeing this topic. 

I've been more impressed with Jacobs than with Damien Harris. Jacobs seems a step quicker and has been a real mismatch in the passing game when Bama gets him matched up on linebackers. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Jacobs shines in the playoffs and emerges as a 1st/2nd round prospect in a similar way to what Sony Michel did last year. 

No sure thing he leaves early though. Bama seems to have a few guys every year who pass up the early rounds of the draft to come back for another year. 

Was hoping this wouldn’t show up until after my devy draft, but he’s one of my favorite RBs in the entire class. I’ve seen some very impressive cuts in games, and he’s been turned to at times by Bama when Harris couldn’t get going. 

Watch the SEC championship game and he pops off the screen several times. Expect he climbs during the draft season. I like a lot of what I’ve seen.

I must admit he was not on my radar until I read an article by Dane Brugler on The Athletic and he listed Jacobs as his top RB. Was eye opening to say the least and Brugler is good, as an example he was way ahead of the DJ Moore curve last year. 

As for coming out I do realize the Damian Harris and OJ Howard unexpectedly returned but Jacobs would be a fool to not come out and for that matter  maybe Damian Harris was on to something staying another year. Last year's RB class was pretty solid and deep, next years class looks amazing. If you are a RB this is the year you want to come out.

He's better than Harris and on my list for the 1.1 pick.

yeah I think unless he goes to a complete stinker hes 1.1 for me

Dane Brugler mock 2.0-posted 1/9

27. Oakland Raiders (from Dallas): Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama

Last year, I gave linebacker Leighton Vander Esch the “ascending player” title, and this year, that moniker belongs to Jacobs, who is just scratching the surface of what he can do. He has a strongly built frame with athletic plant-and-go skills to run through or around defenders. Jacobs is also a terrific receiver and blocker and could help reshape what Gruden has in mind for the Raiders offense.

I believe there are 4 RBs that either one of them could have that distinction.  Swift, Taylor, Etienne, and Dobbins. 
I think Akers will surprise a lot of you when you see him run behind an offensive line that can actually block.  He was running behind guys like me and JohnnyU at FSU the last 2 years.

Proving my point when I said "This time last year Jacobs was unknown to these boards"

The first post you quoted was the first reply to the topic started (by me) late December/this time a year ago. I didnt find anything in the 2019 draft class thread that predates these posts. Just want to make sure my words arent being misconstrued
I didn't see anything on Jacobs until after the SEC championship game so I believe you...

Proving my point when I said "This time last year Jacobs was unknown to these boards"

The first post you quoted was the first reply to the topic started (by me) late December/this time a year ago. I didnt find anything in the 2019 draft class thread that predates these posts. Just want to make sure my words arent being misconstrued
Josh Jacobs has been known to every DEVY owner and had already been on a roster in every DEVY league I'm in before last December.  He was drafted in 2017 in The Deep End Dynasty League (a devy league), he was drafted in May of 2017.    I'm also pretty sure dynasty owners knew who he was too.  To say "unknown to these boards" is ridiculous.  Hell, it's an insult.  Do you honestly believe DEVY  and most Dynasty owners aren't familiar with the top players and actually think you're the one who thought of Josh Jacobs?  Jesus.   I don't see you putting out a devy list for 2021 prior to anyone else.   You seem to like to piggy back.

Scenario

J. K. Dobbins goes to Chiefs

D'Andre Swift goes to Redskins

Jonathan Taylor goes to the Jets

Najee Harris goes to the Ravens

Travis Etienne goes to the Dolphins

Rank em'

JohnnyU said:
Josh Jacobs has been known to every DEVY owner and had already been on a roster in every DEVY league I'm in before last December.  I'm also pretty sure dynasty owners knew who he was too.  To say "unknown to these boards" is ridiculous.  Hell, it's an insult.  Do you honestly believe DEVY  and most Dynasty owners aren't familiar with the top players and actually think you're the one who thought of Josh Jacobs?  Jesus.   I don't see you putting out a devy list for 2021 prior to anyone else.   You seem to like to piggy back.
Not to continue harping on the Jacobs thing, but while it's true that when he said "unknown" it was an exaggeration, it still captures his point fine.  Namely that things change fast from now to the draft and Jacobs was still nowhere near the consensus 1.01 or top RB at this point last year, and that Najee Harris could still rise quite a bit as the draft approaches.

Here are a couple of threads from this time last year.

2019 Rookie RBs: 10% analysis 90% speculation (Jan 4th, 2019) - Jacobs is listed in the honorable mentions after the top 8 RBs are ranked.  Not a single one of the 126 comments in the thread mention Jacobs.

[Rookie] Who are your top 10 prospects for 2019 right now? (Dec 23, 2018) -  Six people submitted top 10 lists.  Jacobs was unranked in three of them, ranked 10th in two of them, and ranked 3rd in one.

JohnnyU said:
Only stupid in the sense that you can get him later in the first and get extra pick(s) in the process.  If Harris goes to KC you would have to probably make the decision of Harris over the other RBs.  If he doesn't go to KC he will most certainly go after #6.
I guess where we disagree is that the rankings today will be the rankings after the draft is completed. I don’t see as big of a difference in a lot of these players (especially the RBs) and draft position/destination will play a big role for me determining who I would like to target.

He didn't have his best game against OR, but there were several good runs called back by penalty. FWIW, I was at the game. 

He will be a first round pick I think, late, but not as certain about his dynasty value as some other recent college players who accumulated big stats.  Situation might matter more than for some highly touted players.

I’m 100% certain that Xue was the 1st to introduce Jacob to the Board. EBF was one of the 1st I remember doing some type of Evaluation. This was 2016-2017 but DD’s post brought him back to life.

i remember because Xue loves to evaluate High schoolers especially incoming Freshman. 

Tex

He didn't have his best game against OR, but there were several good runs called back by penalty. FWIW, I was at the game. 

He will be a first round pick I think, late, but not as certain about his dynasty value as some other recent college players who accumulated big stats.  Situation might matter more than for some highly touted players.
My biggest question about him is he never had a breakthrough performance against quality competition. I don't think he laid any eggs, but he didn't pop either. That makes it difficult to grade him round one, but since I dont have any questions beyond that (and you saw the skill within those games) I could be swayed. I'm firmly on the 1/2 fence with JT.

This is a Taylor thread, why are we talking about Jacobs?  Who cares?  

Taylor is a good talent that doesn't really do anything extremely well.  We could be looking at the next Lamar Miller type, both stylistically and statistically.  

This is a Taylor thread, why are we talking about Jacobs?  Who cares?  

Taylor is a good talent that doesn't really do anything extremely well.  We could be looking at the next Lamar Miller type, both stylistically and statistically.  
You’re right, but why do you compare him to Miller?

Tex

Users who are viewing this thread