What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stacking your roster with Chiefs (1 Viewer)

tigerz

Footballguy
I was fascinated by Waldman's sleeper article and I though it would be fun to try something different for my big money league this year rather than RB/RB. I couldn't get Mahomes (may try to trade later)... Running with Hill, Kelce, Williams, Thompson, Watkins. This could end very poorly. Just curious if anyone else read that article and was crazy enough to do the same 😁.

I tried it in a small stakes FFPC best ball over the summer. This was when the Tyreek situation was going on and his value plummeted. Started Kelce, D. Williams, Mahomes, Hill. Filled in with others like Butker, KC D, Hyde, Robinson and Pringle later. The rest of my team isn't too good and my RBs are a huge question mark. Interested to see how it turns out though. 

QB: Mahomes, Trubisky, Darnold
RB: D. Williams, J. White, D. Henderson, M. Sanders, C. Hyde, J. Richard
WR: T. Hill, C. Davis, L. FItzgerald, Scantling, Sanu, Callaway, T. Gabriel, D. Robinson, B. Pringle, P. Richardson, D. Amendola
TE: Kelce, Ebron, Lacosse, Dissly
K: Butker, Lutz
DST: KC, ATL

I couldn't get Mahomes (may try to trade later)... Running with Hill, Kelce, Williams, Thompson, Watkins. This could end very poorly.

Don't worry, it will end poorly.

These types of moves usually end in disaster. Any team, every team is going to toss up a few bad outings every year. When that comes you are virtually assured of a loss.

I can see the appeal of a stack, like Mahomes/Hill, but I even try and avoid that if I can.... well mostly

I try and stud it up at every position if I can, and let the real talent overcome your opponents rosters. Thats what our game is about, day in and day out. Outscore your opponents, and get wins. Get into the playoffs and try and win from there. Simple as that.

Now, that aside, I do know there is one particular time when I want to gamble on a stack, or a couple players from a specific team.  And its a very rare occurrence.

Some years ago, I found myself in a massive HOLE after some Thursday night shenanigans.  I was roughly 40-50 points down and my opponent had only started 2 slots. Anyhow, so I knew I would need to gamble, and hope for a high variance lightning bolt. (Thats a big deficit in our standard-ish scoring)

I went to the wire and looked, ultimately found a young NICK FOLES and any WR I could pair with him.  (I wasn't looking for Foles in particular, he just happened to have a great matchup that week, whilst my rostered QB had a tough one)  Long story short, I picked up Foles, and someone by the name of RILEY COOPER. :football:

Some of the old guard around here may recall what happened.  A young essentially unknown NICK FOLES threw like 7 TDs , and as luck would have it, he threw 3 to RILEY COOPER:excited:

I ended up with some crazy head to head victory by a very small margin, and my opponent (a great friend who has since passed away) went crazy~!  He said "How did you figure that would happen?". Well, I didn't.  I just put myself in a high variance scenario, where I NEEDED TO GET LUCKY and I GOT LUCKY . No other way around it. But, I had to put myself in that position to get lucky. And, you aren't going to get lucky week in and week out.  Cuffing yourself to one specific team like you have OP, it doesn't usually turn out well.

Do you think you can get lucky all season long?

Do you think this is the "one time in history" that the KC/Mahomes led offense will continue to break records and perform at the highest of the highest levels like last year????  Possibly, but its just not happened like that traditionally.

Play and draft who you want , but don't expect history to be made season after season in certain scenarios. Don't get cute, and try and beat your opponents with the best team you can. Thats what this is all about.

QUICK EDIT - For those curious, I was in an essentially "must win scenario". I know it was early season, but I was 0-3 or something like that.  FWIW, I won that week, and ultimately got knocked out the first week of the playoffs. (which I never would have been there if it wasn't for this slick win)

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
TZM is correct. And I recall that night with Foles and Cooper. 

I see a few problems with this strategy:

1. You're guaranteeing a loss at KCs bye

2. You're counting on KC to break records again. Last year everything went right, guys had career seasons. You're counting on them to repeat or do better. Typically guys dont follow up a career years with career years. Cats out of the bag for KC. Teams have film and you're nuts if you dont think coaches spent all off season trying to figure out how to slow down the KC offense. I say this all the time, but it seems like everytime a new to start QB has a great first season its followed up by a stinker to some degree, especially QBs who have rushing abilities. 

3. KC is bound to have a few bad games like any other team. Last year there were 4 games where they scored less than 20 points. Those are pretty much 4 guaranteed losses (hard to win without scoring tds). Add that to the bye week loss and you've got 5 losses. 

The only way I can see this working out is if you're in a total points league, because the lower scoring weeks wont hurt you as much. Even then I would rather diversify. I do not think KC will be the #1 offense this year. you're probably chasing 2018 points to be honest 

I was fascinated by Waldman's sleeper article and I though it would be fun to try something different for my big money league this year rather than RB/RB. I couldn't get Mahomes (may try to trade later)... Running with Hill, Kelce, Williams, Thompson, Watkins. This could end very poorly. Just curious if anyone else read that article and was crazy enough to do the same 😁.
Your missing McCoy 

never a good idea to have 2 guys from the same team,let alone 3. I guess people just dont look at the Chiefs' brutal schedule for 2019. 

never a good idea to have 2 guys from the same team,let alone 3. I guess people just dont look at the Chiefs' brutal schedule for 2019. 
I dunno - kinda liking my Carson (4.05) Lockett (6.05) combo. 

Especially how it worked out since the next best team in my division who I play 2x has Russell Wilson. 

There’s no such thing as “cancellation” but it’ll certainly be psychologically frustrating for the Wilson owner to face me. 

And if it comes down to a MN game with just those players left, I definitely have an advantage. 

I'm not big on multiples (in regular FF play). You could make a case for the Chiefs, though.

My general rule is to avoid QB/WR, RB/WR, & WR/TE combos. I don't mind QB/RB, QB/TE, & RB/TE combos on the right teams (like KC).

I'm not big on multiples (in regular FF play). You could make a case for the Chiefs, though.

My general rule is to avoid QB/WR, RB/WR, & WR/TE combos. I don't mind QB/RB, QB/TE, & RB/TE combos on the right teams (like KC).
I’m not saying you are wrong.

But why are you okay connecting your QB to RB and TE, but not WR?

Mainly because there’s 3 WR and the variance of who gets the all in the endzone goes down?

I’m not saying you are wrong.

But why are you okay connecting your QB to RB and TE, but not WR?

Mainly because there’s 3 WR and the variance of who gets the all in the endzone goes down?
With the QB/RB combo, you essentially get the vast majority of FF points a team generates (& typically all the TDs). I'm ok with a QB/TE combo mainly because of the limited number of high-end TEs.

I don't like the QB/WR combo because of WR variance (in-team) as well as the chance they have an off game or they happen to score mostly rushing TDs.

I over-drafted Tyreek in every league last year.

I did it again this year. I’m hoping it pays off... again.
But that's different.  I have no problem overpaying for a guy like that!  But trying to scoop up every Chief you can will lead to overpaying for many of them I would think....not a great strategy.

But that's different.  I have no problem overpaying for a guy like that!  But trying to scoop up every Chief you can will lead to overpaying for many of them I would think....not a great strategy.
I understand now. Keyword overpaying for MANY. You can overpay for 1-2 guys and get away with it. But overpay for all and your squad has little depth.

I think I’m just excited to talk about football again as the season nears.

Stacking QB and starting RB on a top 5 offense is a great idea IMO, as it actually leads to less team scoring volatility. Same for WR/RB.

Stacking QB and WR/TE, OTOH, can be dangerous week to week. Best only if you can get the WR as your WR3 or flex and then have other similar bench options to start against tough matchups for the stack and/or against easier fantasy opponents for your team. Then use only the stack when the opposite scenarios come about.

Well still don’t know what to make of this but the real takeaway for me this week was that handcuffing your wr helps. Also whiffed on handcuffing with Thompson instead of McCoy. Still was an easier call to say chiefs would be a good team this year than many other teams. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread