What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Devante Adams v Michael Thomas (1 Viewer)

xenon

Footballguy
Why is Adams consistently ranked higher and the #2 WR vs Thomas who at times is the #4 ranked WR after Julio.

Clearly and it least in my mind) Dendre is # ! but help me understand why Devante is ranked above Thomas.

Thanks.

Davante Adams outscored Michael Thomas by 10 points last year despite playing one less game.  And Davante was far more consistent.  Davante's worst week was 16.0 points.  Thomas had weeks of 8.7, 11.4, 13.1, 7.8, 9.0, 11.9, and 7.9.  So Thomas was a bit of feast or famine last year.

Rogers is still in his prime, while Brees is 39 now?  Nobody is sure if Brees' arm can last another season.  It sure looked like it was losing steam down the stretch last year.

Saints have more competition for targets, and are probably also going to be less pass-heavy.

Saints have more competition for targets, and are probably also going to be less pass-heavy.
I definitely agree with the first part of that statement, Thomas will be in competition with Kamara and Cook whereas Adams really doesn't have much in that regard.  

But to answer the OP's question, does it really matter?  They are both stud WRs and instead of thinking of them as #2 or #4 rather think it terms of Tiers, and they are both in the top tier (#1).  If you are fortunate to get either of them you have a stud to put in your lineup every week.  

In one league (dynasty) I'm fortunate enough to own both so they tend to offset each other if one has a bad week.

my 2 cents

-DD

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodgers is definitely not  in his prime. he's slipping bigtime missing significant parts of each of the past 2 seasons, and hasn't had a typical Rodgers'esque season since 2016. he's on the back 9 of his career.. Adams is the only real reliable WR on the roster, that's why he gets his. MT is on a team with a lot of mouths to feed and a coach who likes to spread things out.

Rodgers is definitely not  in his prime. he's slipping bigtime missing significant parts of each of the past 2 seasons, and hasn't had a typical Rodgers'esque season since 2016. he's on the back 9 of his career.. Adams is the only real reliable WR on the roster, that's why he gets his. MT is on a team with a lot of mouths to feed and a coach who likes to spread things out.
The slipping Aaron Rodgers that threw for 4400 yards on a fractured leg and sprained MCL?  Got it.

2014: 16 games

2015: 16 games

2016: 16 games

2018: 16 games

yup, missing lots of time, definitely best to put him out to pasture.

The slipping Aaron Rodgers that threw for 4400 yards on a fractured leg and sprained MCL?  Got it.

2014: 16 games

2015: 16 games

2016: 16 games

2018: 16 games

yup, missing lots of time, definitely best to put him out to pasture.
Agree with you mostly but Rodgers best years are behind him

Adams is the clear choice over Thomas.......because:

1) Adams is a sure bet to score more TDs than Thomas.  Adams has scored 35 TDs in the last 3 years, while Thomas has had 23.  Adams has had 10 TDs or more in each of the last 3 years.  I want that on my team!!!!!!!

2) Adams has less competition for targets, and his targets are more consistent.  Last year, Adams had 9 or more targets 13 of the 16 weeks, and never had less than 7.  Thomas had less than 7 targets in 5 games last year.

3) Adams as a slightly higher yards per reception than Thomas

4) NO is going to run the ball a lot more than GB, which limits Thomas's ceiling, and is responsible for his more inconsistent targets per game....shown in my point 2 above.

So Adams has a higher weekly floor, AND a much higher ceiling than Thomas.  Easy choice between the two

I have Thomas ranked ahead of Davante. New Orleans has the 3rd easiest schedule for WRs whereas GB has the toughest schedule for WRs. The new coaching staff and scheme in GB is another concern since we don’t really know what to expect from it. New Orleans has no change in scheme. 

When I add it all up Thomas is the safer bet going into this season. It’s picking nits ranking one over the other anyways since they’re in the same tier but I do see Thomas as the safer draft choice. 

I have Thomas ranked ahead of Davante. New Orleans has the 3rd easiest schedule for WRs whereas GB has the toughest schedule for WRs. The new coaching staff and scheme in GB is another concern since we don’t really know what to expect from it. New Orleans has no change in scheme. 

When I add it all up Thomas is the safer bet going into this season. It’s picking nits ranking one over the other anyways since they’re in the same tier but I do see Thomas as the safer draft choice. 
This is a good point. When I've got guys similarly ranked I look at tiebreakers like schedule. GB both opening and closing (wk 15/16) with CHI and MIN defenses is not great.

Users who are viewing this thread