What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fanduel Week 1 (1 Viewer)

I think i will be mostly on DK this year besides my one league and a gpp or two.    As a small bankroll guy, I just don't like FD's lower $entry contests much.  

I play both every year.  Managed to build a small bankroll last year and carry it over each time hoping for more.  Somehow I only did that on Fanduel though, and DK I barely broke even.  

Most of my thoughts are the same as in the DK thread though.  

Lots of Brissett, Dalvin, Ekeler, Westbrook and Kittle in cash

Some RB's: Miles Sanders, DJ, Gurley, Bell, Fournette, WR's: Kirk, DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, Evans, OBJ, Corey Davis, Jakeem Grant, Deebo TE's: Walker, Ebron in GPP's.  Along with your QB flavor of the week to stack.  

I'm still playing, but growing a little weary of FanDuel.  I may branch out and try another site this season (haven't played DFS anywhere else).  I have 2 placeholder line ups in cash games at the moment, but I am not sold on either...still messing around.

Wentz, Chubb, Cook, D. Johnson, Lockett, Westbrook, Jeffery, Henry, ARI

Brissett, McCaffrey, D. Johnson, Carson, Beckham, Diggs, Westbrook, Henry, MIA

ETA...and another, because why not?  Jackson, McCaffrey, Fournette, Carson, Theilin, Lockett, Shepard, Henry, ARI.  I think I am liking this one better than the others at the moment.

Good matchup to use Fournette?  1. He is still healthy right now... 2. KC run D doesn't seem that good... 3. JAX will want to chew up the clock to keep ball away from KC offense.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Only have $9+ on FD to play with so may be a short stay in this thread.

Trying the new optimizer for a $2 50/50 it gave me this

Brissett,McCaf,Chubb,OBJ,Godwin, Westbrook,Davis,Cook,Balt

Did this on my own for $1 SE

Garoppolo,Cook,Carson,Goodwin,Evans,Cooks,Little,Kerryon,Lions

Fanduel sucks donkey knobs these days.

Check out this contest.  $5000k in prizes, $7500 in fees collected if it fills.

Right now there are 3 available full lineup contest for Thur- Mon.

Is DK better?

Only have $9+ on FD to play with so may be a short stay in this thread.

Trying the new optimizer for a $2 50/50 it gave me this

Brissett,McCaf,Chubb,OBJ,Godwin, Westbrook,Davis,Cook,Balt

Did this on my own for $1 SE

Garoppolo,Cook,Carson,Goodwin,Evans,Cooks,Little,Kerryon,Lions
Interesting.  I have been generating lineups for cash game and some of those names you have I have not seen pop up at all in my lineups.  Did you tweak settings in some way to generate this?  I can spit out dozens of line ups with no Brissett, no Davis, no Cook, no Baltimore, no Godwin...only a couple OBJ's.  Why so different?

Maybe we should compare settings on these.  I was getting a ton of Brissett LUs the other day too, the only time I didn't I think was when I was playing with excluding the lower Vegas total teams.   I thought I was getting a lot of OBJ teams too.  

That is weird. Did move some settings like 2 minimum different players in each lineup, none from Mia, Giants or Ariz. May have tweaked other things too.

Hmmm...just generated 20 new lineups...much different then I got 2 days ago.  Maybe updated projections?  I do see more OBJ, a couple of Davis now...a bunch of Ekeler, Breida, and Quinn that I did not see previously.

Oh yeah, I think last night when I was getting just about 100% Brissett LUs was when I was locking in 5-6 players for cash games.   

Hmmm...just generated 20 new lineups...much different then I got 2 days ago.  Maybe updated projections?  I do see more OBJ, a couple of Davis now...a bunch of Ekeler, Breida, and Quinn that I did not see previously.
Did you tweak any settings?

Oh yeah, I think last night when I was getting just about 100% Brissett LUs was when I was locking in 5-6 players for cash games.   
How are you locking in players?  Didn't you post something about this in the Optimizer thread?  I need to go back and re-read.

I will take it - $1 in, $9.70 out.   

Had Rodgers - trubisky - Graham - MVS - ARob. for the best of the lus and ended up tied with the pack at 55.  

Another thing I have noticed about FD - unless it is my phone, the contests always seem late to update and finish.  Fame was done, dk was done with theirs, and FD was hovering on 20secs remainsing forever.   

$75 invested in ticket contests, 40 $9 tickets back = $360  Guess I'll try out the new lineup generator.

$3 invested in gpp tonight, $29.46 back

$30 invested in Thru-Mon gpp, faded everything tonight.

I still don't get what you do BnB, but good on you 
Loaded up on Rodgers and Trubisky because the were absurdly cheap.  Built 10 lineups and then pounded the ticket contests with overlay.  I think I caught a 65% killed contest so the odds were on my side.  Generally I build a number of single game lineups I like and enter them into penny to 25 contests.  When the clock is ticking down to kickoff I look for overlay.  If it's there, I hammer the entries.  If it's not, I generally try to pass.

Got a little bit lucky because I accidentally entered two lineups into a .25 gpp 5 times thinking they were ticket contests and one of them hit for $5 x 5.  Of course we all know the value of fading Thursday night in the full lineup Thu-Mon contests.

I still don't get what you do BnB, but good on you 
Also, I think I fall into a smaller niche, but could be wrong.  I'm willing to risk $200 to $300 a week if I like the slate or see overlay that tilts things in my favor.  I think the bigger fish that do this seriously have to enter a bunch of contest regardless of the slate or fill rate.  They may even focusing on tweaking their 100 lineups before kickoff based on late news.  Many people are playing smaller amounts and entering larger gpps earlier in the week and tweaking the preferring 1-5 entries.  Their budgeted bankroll is spoken for early so they aren't chasing overlay.  Lastly, when you get down to it, I'm investing too much time for the amount I play.  The guys getting the best return on their time investment fall into the two categories I mentioned above.

I am going to switch gpp style lineups this year whereas in years past I've played cash lineups in gpps trying to grind out winnings.  We'll see how that plays out.

I like both those backs...not sold on Washington.  Is this for cash game?
Mostly. I do a couple tournies a week. I love Washington because Belicheck doesn't let the other teams best player beat him, I think he'll double JuJu like he did Tyreek Hill last year in the playoff game.

Mostly. I do a couple tournies a week. I love Washington because Belicheck doesn't let the other teams best player beat him, I think he'll double JuJu like he did Tyreek Hill last year in the playoff game.
I hear you, but how do we know it isn't Moncrief who rises to the task?  or McDonald? or Conner and Samuels out of the backfield?  I guess I I don't feel very certain about Washington.  Seems like more of a gpp selection than cash game to me.  

Maybe we should compare settings on these.  I was getting a ton of Brissett LUs the other day too, the only time I didn't I think was when I was playing with excluding the lower Vegas total teams.   I thought I was getting a lot of OBJ teams too.  
Are you playing Brisset in cash games? Feels like he's a better GPP play? I'm not an experienced cash game player, so I need to learn these intricacies. 

I'm all in on Chris Carson and Mark Ingram this week at RB and James Washington at WR
One of the reasons I'm playing a lot of cards in week one is I think it's possible to exploit some cheaper bargains. Chris Carson is a player on a lot of my teams, and I think he's RB1 upside for an RB2 price. 

Players I like this week:

Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Chris Carson, Mark Ingram, Austin Ekeler, Justice Hill, Jordan Howard, Muhammed Sanu, John Brown, Cooper Kupp, Desean Jackson, Darren Waller, TJ Hockenson, Delanie Walker, Evan Engram, Will Dissly.

Players I'm fading this week:

Kyler Murray, Sam Darnold, Dak Prescott, Josh Jacobs, Marlon Mack, Joe Mixon, Julio Jones, Tyreek Hill, Christian Kirk.

So I quit playing DFS when the cheating scandal broke a couple of years ago. I wasn't any good at it anyway. Fanduel threw a dollar in my account, so I played the Thursday night satellite for entry into the Sunday million and won a ticket. If I could get some feedback on this lineup, I'd appreciate it:

L Jackson- $7400

N. Chubb- $7400

C. Carson- $6600

A. Thielen- $7400

B. Cooks- $7000

M. Evans- $7900

D. Walker- $5400

M. Ingram- $6600

Browns D- $4300

I'd be fine with swapping out Evans for a cheaper receiver, and maybe upgrading TE (but the Browns have never met a TE that they could cover).

Also- what is "gpp?" 

ETA- Also, what is "overlay?"

TIA

So I quit playing DFS when the cheating scandal broke a couple of years ago. I wasn't any good at it anyway. Fanduel threw a dollar in my account, so I played the Thursday night satellite for entry into the Sunday million and won a ticket. If I could get some feedback on this lineup, I'd appreciate it:

L Jackson- $7400

N. Chubb- $7400

C. Carson- $6600

A. Thielen- $7400

B. Cooks- $7000

M. Evans- $7900

D. Walker- $5400

M. Ingram- $6600

Browns D- $4300

I'd be fine with swapping out Evans for a cheaper receiver, and maybe upgrading TE (but the Browns have never met a TE that they could cover).

Also- what is "gpp?" 

TIA
GPP- guaranteed prize pool- money awarded will be the same no matter how many entries

Overlay- when a tournament has a # of entries max- say a $2 tournament with a max of 2500 entries but at game time there are only 1600 entries so getting into this tournament is like getting a 900 player head start cause the prize money is guaranteed.

GPP- guaranteed prize pool- money awarded will be the same no matter how many entries

Overlay- when a tournament has a # of entries max- say a $2 tournament with a max of 2500 entries but at game time there are only 1600 entries so getting into this tournament is like getting a 900 player head start cause the prize money is guaranteed.
Got it. Thanks!

L Jackson- $7400

N. Chubb- $7400

C. Carson- $6600

A. Thielen- $7400

B. Cooks- $7000

M. Evans- $7900

D. Walker- $5400

M. Ingram- $6600

Browns D- $4300

Also- what is "gpp?" 

TIA
All these players are individually fine, but you need to figure out a way to better correlate this lineup. There are many people who can better explain why, but the short version is you need way too many unrelated things to happen for this lineup to win. Browns D and Walker probably don’t have huge games at the same time. Is Ingram going to have a huge receiving game in your mind? My suggestion is to think of a game that might shoot out, dream up the game script that you think could happen, and go from there. 

If you like this team too much to rework it, just switch Walker to Andrews and gl

All these players are individually fine, but you need to figure out a way to better correlate this lineup. There are many people who can better explain why, but the short version is you need way too many unrelated things to happen for this lineup to win. Browns D and Walker probably don’t have huge games at the same time. Is Ingram going to have a huge receiving game in your mind? My suggestion is to think of a game that might shoot out, dream up the game script that you think could happen, and go from there. 

If you like this team too much to rework it, just switch Walker to Andrews and gl
I'm not in love with it by any means. Just a start. Thanks for the feedback.

I put a little money up on FD to mess around with. 90%+ of it is in play, so a bad week one will pretty much wipe me out.

I've always felt that if you're going to do DFS, week 1 is the best time to go hard because it's the time when your edge is biggest if you know the player pool well. As the season goes on, the secret gets out about undervalued players and the market prices tend to be better.

jdoggydogg said:
Are you playing Brisset in cash games? Feels like he's a better GPP play? I'm not an experienced cash game player, so I need to learn these intricacies. 
I wouldn't say I'm "experienced" either, but there are certain rules to kind of follow.

This is how I break down my cash lineup.  How likely are they to hit 2x value? How likely are they to hit 3x value?  Pass catching RB's are always the more popular choice to hit value.  

For QB specifically, I look at supporting cast, opposing teams D-line and CB's, and expected point total.  Brissett looks like a great play when you put all that together to me.  He's in a lot of my cash lineups right now.  

As for fiddling with your lineup @Tecumseh, you're trying to find things that correlate with each other.  Browns Defense, Nick Chubb, Delanie Walker all play into each other to me.  Defense could hold strong, get an INT or lots of sacks, Chubb in a positive game script and Walker because the Titans are in catchup mode.  That's the way I try and build my GPP lineups at least.  Defensive points are all about INT's, sacks and turnovers in general.  So don't be scared to go super cheap and use a team that could be in a shootout with a turnover prone QB.  

$75 invested in ticket contests, 40 $9 tickets back = $360  Guess I'll try out the new lineup generator.

$3 invested in gpp tonight, $29.46 back

$30 invested in Thru-Mon gpp, faded everything tonight.
Same boat. 21 tickets won for the $9 millionaire. And about $65 in gpp/cash games on FD. Good luck!

Hello everyone again; late to this thread, but, still playing FD. Didn't do as well on baseball this year as last, so, starting with a smaller bankroll. Having said that, biggest focus this week will be a cash LU, and right now, that looks like this: QB/ J. Winston, RB/ C. Carson & A. Ekeler, WR/ M. Evans - A. Thielen - S. Shepard, TE/Kelce, FLEX/ D. Moore, DEF/ LAC.

Biggest concern for me is Moore, as it's hard to say in my mind what his workload will be. But at that price range, he seems like about the best option. Otherwise, would need to find an additional $200 somewhere [already have $200 left over] to grab Ingram for the flex. As always, thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Hello everyone again; late to this thread, but, still playing FD. Didn't do as well on baseball this year as last, so, starting with a smaller bankroll. Having said that, biggest focus this week will be a cash LU, and right now, that looks like this: QB/ J. Winston, RB/ C. Carson & A. Ekeler, WR/ M. Evans - A. Thielen - S. Shepard, TE/Kelce, FLEX/ D. Moore, DEF/ LAC.

Biggest concern for me is Moore, as it's hard to say in my mind what his workload will be. But at that price range, he seems like about the best option. Otherwise, would need to find an additional $200 somewhere [already have $200 left over] to grab Ingram for the flex. As always, thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
I guess my concern for a FD cash LU is that there isn't a RB in the flex.    

Not sure what others think as well, but IMO it seems kind of risky having only one of the popular guys at RB - Cook/Fournette/Carson/McCaffrey/Chubb

Having a little fun with my 10man contest this week.  This is what I currently have:

Brissett - Fournette/K.Johnson/Carson - Thomas/Hopkins/T.Hill - Rudolph/Mia

I guess my concern for a FD cash LU is that there isn't a RB in the flex.    

Not sure what others think as well, but IMO it seems kind of risky having only one of the popular guys at RB - Cook/Fournette/Carson/McCaffrey/Chubb
I agree. But been tough trying to get that 3rd RB in. Having said that, here's a tweak that gives me two more points; it also puts two Vikings on the roster:

QB/ Brissett, RB/ D. Cook - C. Carson, WR/ M. Evans - A. Thielen - S. Shepard, TE/ Kelce, FLEX/ A. Ekeler, DEF/ SEA

** Just not overly comfortable with Brisett **

Watch Evans, who has the flu and would be playing in pretty hot weather tomorrow.
Also, for anyone looking for a cheap tight end, Reed is ruled out and Davis is $4k. I wanted to play Engram, who played well v. Dallas last year. But may swap.

Using Devin Knotts advice, sorta, Paying all the way down for DEF. That leaves me with QB/ J. Winston, RB/ D. Cook - C. Carson, WR/ M. Evans - A. Thielen - S. Shepard, TE/ Kelce, FLEX/ A. Ekeler, DEF/Miami. locking this one in. Now, on to the GPP's ......

All my lineups are set. I haven't touched DFS for a couple years, but was profitable in 2015 and cashed out ahead overall after small losses in 2016. I admittedly haven't studied the math or logic behind everything, though some of it is intuitive. I mainly bank on the presumption that I know more about the player pool than the average entrant. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen.

Mostly I find myself attracted to single-entry, 50/50 games. Those were always my go-to game in the past. In general, single-entry seems good to me because it limits the interactions with wizards and pros who are going to be churning out 20+ lineups into every contest. It seems to make logical sense from a game selection standpoint that if there are other people in the field with an edge vs. you then you want to minimize the number of bullets they have against you. To make a poker analogy, you'd rather play in a tournament with one Phil Ivey in the field than a tournament with 50 versions of Phil Ivey floating around.

I like the 50/50s because the variance is lower. In the massive contests, you need to hit the high places to realize all your equity and that's just not going to happen with enough regularity to make them reliably profitable unless you are just bombing them with infinite entries. So I've dumped most of my money into single-entry 50/50 games, while throwing some darts at the huge field GPPs for the sake of fun and the non-zero probability of a massive score.

The strategy for picking lineups that I use with the 50/50s is the same that I use in basic redraft FF, which is mainly about volume of opportunities. A WR who gets targets is going to score FF points. A RB who gets touches is going to score FF points. Efficiency matters, but if you are trying to build a high ceiling/high floor lineup then I think you need to prioritize guys who are likely to see a lot of the ball. And of course a huge variable is the price point and how you think it relates to the ppg expectation.

Then in the bigger GPPS I play smaller stakes and build funkier lineups with more contrarian plays. To win one of those you need a very specific scenario to play out (every player on your roster going HAM) and you benefit doubly when your lineup has odd players in it with low ownership %, so it seems like you want to bring your outside-the-box lineups in those formats and hope for a miracle.

Not sure if its being reported or not but the Jags will be without Cam Robinson at LT Sunday, W Richardson Jr will be starting there and he has never taken a NFL snap and has never played LT, not even at NC ST.  May have a big affect on L Fournette

Users who are viewing this thread