What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stay at home moms? (1 Viewer)

bucksoh

Footballguy
So the little one is starting preschool.  So what is the chores that my wife should be doing?   What is it that other wives do?  Basically in the past it was laundry and running kids to appointments.  I feel like she should be doing more with all her free time.   Not trying to be mean but why do women get offended by the saying of a Stay at home Mom?    I know I wouldn't be offended if I was a Stay at home Dad.

Stay completely away from this topic. All of you. There is no winning this one. No venting here. Nothing. Your wife will find this thread and you will lose this forum forever.

This topic is off limits to every marriage, relationship, partnership....whatever if you are the guy in the relationship.

Let this be your warning boys: YOU CANNOT WIN THIS.

How many days a week and hours a day is the kid in preschool?

Instead of suggesting “chores” I would see if she can find a part time work from home job to supplement the family income.  My wife has been a SAHM for years and the last few she has done medical billing which has worked out great.

This used to be a point of contention in my house. We are fortunate enough to live comfortably with just me working, and I’ve grown to appreciate it. 

Our youngest is in pre-k 3 days of the week, so we’re not to a fully empty house all week until next year. 

She goes to the gym at least all 3 of those days, makes sure the house is clean, groceries are stocked and makes dinner most nights (sports and me working late are exceptions). 

Our marriage has gotten a lot better since I became a b#### and quit arguing about it and bringing it up. I still make plenty of SAHM jokes that she hates and that gives me pleasure. 

Once the kids go to school, stay at home mom's have it made.    Maybe its to make up for those hellish years before the kids go to school.    If not for the fact that you're financially dependent on someone else for the rest of your life, that would be a sweet gig.   

Instead of suggesting “chores” I would see if she can find a part time work from home job to supplement the family income.  My wife has been a SAHM for years and the last few she has done medical billing which has worked out great.
Not really worried about the money,  it's just the house is never really cleaned except for when I do it.  Kid will be in school two days a week.

Once the kids go to school, stay at home mom's have it made.    Maybe its to make up for those hellish years before the kids go to school.    If not for the fact that you're financially dependent on someone else for the rest of your life, that would be a sweet gig.   
Had a classmate friend of mine marry a Dr.  He has always been a stay at home Dad.  He said it is the best thing that could have ever happened to him.  At times I find myself a little jealous of him.  But then I look at a picture of his wife and I say I'm good.

That's the truth right there. If you have never stayed home with young kids during the day, you don't get it. It's a job. Maybe not every minute of  every single day. But when it's tough, it's TOUGH. It's relentless. It's thankless. It's tiring.  And it's your responsibility. 

Approach the subject with extreme caution if you do bring it up with her, because it's going to be a sensitive subject.  I'd suggest you take a day off of work and stay with the kids one time (if you haven't previously), just to get some perspective, before talking it over. 

That's the truth right there. If you have never stayed home with young kids during the day, you don't get it. It's a job. Maybe not every minute of  every single day. But when it's tough, it's TOUGH. It's relentless. It's thankless. It's tiring.  And it's your responsibility. 
Its absolutely brutal when they're young.  I did it for 3 months between jobs one summer with a 3 year old and 1 year old.   I couldn't wait to go back to work.   And there's no days off.   With work, if I have a headache or I'm just feeling sluggish, I can just coast through my day.  I put my headphones on and listen to podcasts or music.   Christ, I take naps at lunch in my car.   Its glorious. With 2 young kids like that, its like chinese water torture. 

ChiefD said:
Stay completely away from this topic. All of you. There is no winning this one. No venting here. Nothing. Your wife will find this thread and you will lose this forum forever.

This topic is off limits to every marriage, relationship, partnership....whatever if you are the guy in the relationship.

paging Admiral Ackbar.

Approach the subject with extreme caution if you do bring it up with her, because it's going to be a sensitive subject.  I'd suggest you take a day off of work and stay with the kids one time (if you haven't previously), just to get some perspective, before talking it over. 
I stayed for a year.  I thought it was fantastic.  Most rewarding year of my life.

Best to just leave her a list daily so she can stay on task.   

Pro tip:  For the first couple of days you should call and see how far along she is on the list.    

Sample list:

1.) Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs.

2.) Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

3.) Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

4.) Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

5.) Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

6.) Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

7.) Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children’s hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes.

8.) Children are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

9.) Be happy to see him. Free him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him. Listen to him.

10.) You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

11.) Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

12.) Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where you husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

13.) Don’t greet him with complaints and problems.

14.) Don’t complain if he’s late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

15.) Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

16.) Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

17.) Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment of integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

18.) A good wife always knows her place.

Just a few off the top of my head.  GL and keep us posted.  👍

I stayed for a year.  I thought it was fantastic.  Most rewarding year of my life.
Definitely. But you have reward yourself. There's no pay raise coming for a job well done. Only in the form, hopefully, of kids that one day understand and appreciate a parent that was there with them.

Pro tip:  For the first couple of days you should call and see how far along she is on the list.    

Sample list:

1.) Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs.

2.) Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

3.) Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

4.) Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

5.) Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

6.) Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

7.) Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children’s hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes.

8.) Children are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

9.) Be happy to see him. Free him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him. Listen to him.

10.) You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

11.) Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

12.) Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where you husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

14.) Don’t complain if he’s late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

15.) Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

16.) Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

17.) Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment of integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

Don’t forget “it’s not going to suck itself”. We love that. 

I’ve been a sahm for 23 years now. I think it’s great. I’m also a homeschool mom so my perspective may be a little skewed. 

1) my job is the kids. If a kid gets up at night, I deal with it. If a kid needs to be somewhere I usually take him, but with our numbers hubs gets pressed into service sometimes. 

2) his job is his job. He keeps making money to keep me in the manner I’ve become accustomed to. All is well. 

3) chores goes to whoever cares the most. Bathroom bothering you, clean it. 

ChiefD said:

Wait, so they get free rein to **** around all day?  Then I wanna do some unquestioned dickin’ too.

Sample list:

I love this post, but I think my wife would divorce me if I showed her this.

Not really worried about the money,  it's just the house is never really cleaned except for when I do it.  Kid will be in school two days a week.
Sounds like my wife, what she calls cleaning I call picking up. She does work full time, does all the laundry and has dinner ready for me every night. Luckily the kids are just starting to get interested in chores and chore money. The 4th grader earns $2 a week and the second grader earns a dollar. I'm getting them trained to my level of clean.

This subject gets me wife riled up. Oddly enough, because she can't comprehend anyone wanting to be totally dependent on someone else for financial support. The idea of being a stay at home mom is just incomprehensible to her.

Sample list:

I'd be down for my wife being a stay at home if I got to come home to her and some of her lady friends, um...being a little gay. 

I can tell you this much --  If your wife doesn't work, and also isn't a mother, she will not look kindly upon you answering "Stay at Home Mom" when other people ask what she does.  That is "Schtick You Use in Real Life" that has damn near gotten me killed. But so worth it.

I read this as SHAM.  🤭

I stayed at home for 1/2 a year when my second son was born.  The oldest turned 2 during that time frame.  There were hectic times. There were nap times. I enjoyed it, but was also happy to go back to work. 

Sample list:

I heard some guy read this at an all men’s church conference once. Got lots of hoots and hollers and laughing. I think it came from a 1950’s magazine article? 

bucksoh said:
So what is the chores that my wife should be doing?
Hey what's up man. Do y'all have a boy or a girl? How is he/she enjoying school so far? What do you do for work? And how old is your wife? I hope y'all are doing well, it sounds like a pretty good opportunity for your wife do do some productive stuff that will be worthwhile and help keep the family happy. Also, is her mom still around, and was her mom a stay at home mom? Cheers dude.

Hey what's up man. Do y'all have a boy or a girl? How is he/she enjoying school so far? What do you do for work? And how old is your wife? I hope y'all are doing well, it sounds like a pretty good opportunity for your wife do do some productive stuff that will be worthwhile and help keep the family happy. Also, is her mom still around, and was her mom a stay at home mom? Cheers dude.
5 boys 4 girls ages 17-3.  Her mom was a stay at home but I believe she might have helped on their farm.  Most of the kids are enjoying school only 2 boys don't like it because they took away a recess.  I work in a hospital and my wife is a young 40.  

bucksoh said:
So the little one is starting preschool.  So what is the chores that my wife should be doing?   What is it that other wives do?  Basically in the past it was laundry and running kids to appointments.  I feel like she should be doing more with all her free time.   Not trying to be mean but why do women get offended by the saying of a Stay at home Mom?    I know I wouldn't be offended if I was a Stay at home Dad.
Ideally this is finally the point where she can feel like she doesn’t have a 24 hour a day high stress job.  Which means time for things like bikini waxes and reasons to have a bikini wax. 

I would imagine that wax will be used for a man in her life that she sees every day who makes her feel like she’s able to take the time needed to remember who she is when she isn’t parenting every minute of every day. 

So either you could skip the new chores and tell her she should take a sabbatical from new extras while feeling out her new life or you should definitely get a live in pool boy. 

5 boys 4 girls ages 17-3.  Her mom was a stay at home but I believe she might have helped on their farm.  Most of the kids are enjoying school only 2 boys don't like it because they took away a recess.  I work in a hospital and my wife is a young 40.  
if this isn't schtick, 9 ####### kids?  9?  are you playing us?  that poor woman has had you, depositing your seed into her, for the last 18 years.  creating and carrying 9, 9! kids into this world.  she deserves a looooooooooooong vacation.  smh

if this isn't schtick, 9 ####### kids?  9?  are you playing us?  that poor woman has had you, depositing your seed into her, for the last 18 years.  creating and carrying 9, 9! kids into this world.  she deserves a looooooooooooong vacation.  smh
4 bio 4 foster kids. 1 adopted

1. Never run into a mom that was offended by the term stay at home mom.

2. I'd suggest talking to her like an adult rather than trying to find chores for her to do. 
My wife was a stay at home mom until the youngest of three was ready for pre school.  She was not offended by the term stay at home mom.  She was offended when I tried to use the term "homemaker" which my mother called herself.  My mom's passion, other than for raising her kids, was to cook and clean all day.  That is a homemaker.  A stay at home mom is something different.

I'm not trying to say one is right and one is wrong.  But, if the wife is planning on being a stay at home mom, and the husband is expecting a homemaker, conflict will happen, which will require conversation and compromise to resolve.

Wife stayed at home for 10 years, our youngest is in first grade now and she got a part time job at the school this year 

we don’t need the money but we can certainly use it and it gets her out of the house 

As far as chores and whatnot, she’s always kept up on laundry and cleaning and made dinner, but for whatever reason I’d always come home to a full clean dishwasher and a sink of dirty dishes.  No idea why she couldn’t take 10 minutes out of her day to put the dishes away and then load the dishwasher as she dirties dishes throughout the day, but I’m the grand scheme of things not really worth arguing about

oh and shopping at Target

I did the stay at home day thing for almost a year with a 1 and 3 year old after I left my software job and was starting up a business where I didn't yet have enough clients for a big workload.

Man, all I can say is never realized how relaxing a desk job was.  In retrospect I loved spending all that time with my kids during that year but in the moment I wanted little more than to go back to an office and sit at a quiet desk, take a break whenever I felt like it, and sit down for lunch and actually feed myself like a normal human being.

Of course being at home all the time with my wife making most of the money back then most of the responsibilities around the house fell to me.  Kids waking up at night (our littlest was a terrible sleeper), preparing meals, (nearly constant with kids) cleaning, etc.  It just never ever ended.  If my wife had tried to leave me a chore list at the time I would not have been a happy camper, although I do think in modern times stay at home dads get a little bit of the shaft (my wife had basically no chores at the time, whereas all my working dad friends who had a stay at home mom still did the typical "guy" chores like mowing the lawn, fixing up the house, etc).

Even with the youngest in preschool how often is that?  Our youngest is about to start preschool and it's a few hours a day a few days a week.  By the time you get them all ready and dropped off it's almost time to turn around and pick them up.

The people I really feel for are those 1950's stay at home moms, back when the dad "worked his ### off" for 8 hours a day and then took every other waking moment off while the mom did freaking everything.  None of my male grandparents ever changed literally one single diaper in their entire life.  Never bathed the kids one time.  Nothing.  Those MFers have no idea how good they had it.

Sample list:

Yeah I saw that on a Facebook post like 2 years ago.   :coffee:

And yeah I'm not touching this one.

First day of school today, my wife will be at another mom's pool sipping margaritas.  

Users who are viewing this thread