What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nagy - Montgomery reminds me of....... (1 Viewer)

Payne

Footballguy
Gase - Drake last year. His use of Montgomery last night has be scared. Nagy looks clueless. Like he is smarter than everyone else when he obviously isn't. 

Getting Davis that many touches compared to Montgomery and Cohen is ridiculous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gase - Drake last year. His use of Montgomery last night has be scared. Nagy looks clueless. Like he is smarter than everyone else when he obviously isn't. 

I wouldn’t go this far yet.  It is not unusual for rookies to be worked in gradually even when more talented than the veterans.

If this continues by midseason though, then the comparison becomes concerning.

I wouldn’t go this far yet.  It is not unusual for rookies to be worked in gradually even when more talented than the veterans.

If this continues by midseason though, then the comparison becomes concerning.

Having Mitch chuck it up 45 times in a 7-3 game has all my excitement for Montgomery gone. 
There is zero chance Nagy continues with the script of last night all season and keeps his job. However, I think Mike Davis plays a significant role in that offense 

Montgomery showed great hands with that catch and his elusiveness was as advertised. His role/snaps will increase as the season wears on. Mike Davis was in when they were in the 2-minute drill just like Williams was in for Green Bay in that situation. That hurts Montgomery/Jones, but doesn't mean you should be scared off. The good news is that Cohen played primarily in the slot, so Montgomery is only really competing with Davis. Unfortunately for Anthony Miller fans, he's the one competing with Cohen... and Cohen is winning. 10 targets vs. 1 target. Oof.

Not sure why people are treating this like Chubb/Hyde or Drake/Gore.  Montgomery looked solid last night, not great.  Davis looked solid last night, not great.  Montgomery maybe looked slightly better but they were similar.  Davis had some nice runs (and a nice catch) as well.

Mike Davis is a very capable 3 down back. He’s the only veteran of the group, he’s going to get plenty of playing time. Not sure why this is so surprising.

Montgomery’s role will increase as the season goes on.

Mike Davis is a very capable 3 down back. He’s the only veteran of the group, he’s going to get plenty of playing time. Not sure why this is so surprising.

Montgomery’s role will increase as the season goes on.
Because in one play Montgomery showed what he is capable of. Much like Drake has in the past.

And the fact that the only person who doesn't see that is the one person who matters has me having flashbacks to owning Drake last year. That's all.

Not sure why people are treating this like Chubb/Hyde or Drake/Gore.  Montgomery looked solid last night, not great.  Davis looked solid last night, not great.  Montgomery maybe looked slightly better but they were similar.  Davis had some nice runs (and a nice catch) as well.
Hard for either of them to get in a flow when they are subbed in and out every other play. Nagy being too smart for his own good. 

Lol drafting Montgomery was ridiculous. Why would you want to limit you best player (Cohen) even more than last year when you didn't give Cohen the ball enough last year?

Nagy is going to be a problem for this team until they fire him. 

Lol drafting Montgomery was ridiculous. Why would you want to limit you best player (Cohen) even more than last year when you didn't give Cohen the ball enough last year?

Nagy is going to be a problem for this team until they fire him. 
Cohen is not a feature back.  I don't think he can handle the work load.

He can't handle 250 carries but he can handle more than he did last year. Nagy and the Bears don't think so though so he'll get less touches than last year and the Bears probably won't be as good as they could be. I don't own Cohen anywhere anymore because I have zero faith in Nagy. Traded Trubisky away for the same reason. 

He can't handle 250 carries but he can handle more than he did last year. Nagy and the Bears don't think so though so he'll get less touches than last year and the Bears probably won't be as good as they could be. I don't own Cohen anywhere anymore because I have zero faith in Nagy. Traded Trubisky away for the same reason. 
As a Bear fan I don't want Cohen carrying the ball that much.  I don't mind a couple carries but I prefer him more in the passing game.  I like to see Montgomery and Cohen on the field at the same time.  There was WAY too much Patterson in that game.

Nagy better not think he can win games by using a similar game plan.  It was terrible.

While I agree Cohen isn’t a “feature” back, zero carries seemed kind of extreme.  I guess the short passes are is essence a running play but still, having him in on early downs and not handing off to him at all kind of gives the defense an idea that a pass play is coming. 

People acting like Cohen limits Montgomery are behind the curve. Cohen played 46 snaps last night and 44 of them were in the slot or out wide. He fumbled on one of his only two snaps at RB. Mike Davis is the only player standing between Montgomery and workhorse snaps. Davis is no slouch, but better to be competing with Davis than Davis and Cohen.

As a Bear fan I don't want Cohen carrying the ball that much.  I don't mind a couple carries but I prefer him more in the passing game.  I like to see Montgomery and Cohen on the field at the same time.  There was WAY too much Patterson in that game.

Nagy better not think he can win games by using a similar game plan.  It was terrible.
Bingo. 

Their most effective offense was with Cohen/Montgomery lined up flanking Trubisky. 

The play action passes to Cohen were unstoppable for I think 9, then 12 yards later in the game. 

Defense bit both times on Montgomery.

Then the one time they shouldn’t have gone PA was 3rd and less than a yard, after 2 successful runs. They sold it so well that Montgomery (empty handed) carried 3 defenders for 3 yards up the gut while Mitch tripped up for a loss. 

The first 3rd and 1 was even more egregious - after a PA to Cohen for 9, they line up Patterson 8 yards deep for the most bizarre draw play I’ve ever seen. 

Just a master class on terrible play calling. 

Drive-killing, morale-killing, gameflow killing plays. 

Way way way too much Patterson both rushing and receiving, but especially rushing. He should never touch the ball in the backfield with the talent they have. 

On either of those 3rd and 1s, hand it to literally any of the 3 backs & its a high probability of a 1st down. 

And it’s not even like they tried trickery - just put Patterson deep & hand it off on the least disguised play in history. How Nagy expected that to work is baffling. 

Thompson, Singletary, Pollard, Montgomery, Sanders.  (all but Jacobs due to perceived no competition).  remind me of every season 1st - 6th round RB;s who fantasy experts MUST hit on to say they were accurate.  THIS is why you get hype every year on RB's who dont do jack.  See Rashad Penny.  1st round pick.  "NO WAY they invested that much and wont roll him out over Carson".  LMAO.   Ya, there is a way, and it happens every single year.

The RB room is a room full of men who CAN and DO play in the NFL.  In Chicago's case they have 2 QUALITY RB's in the room before Montgomery arrival.  That has not changed one bit. 

Prognosticators, Gamblers, Fantasy players all have the desire to "hit" on their picks.  I get it.  I dont want to be naive.  If you are gonna hang your hat on a rookie RB, dont be surprised the first time he misses a block (that you arent aware of) and all the sudden hes on pine rest of day.  

I own ZERO % of Henderson, Pollard, Singletary, Jacobs, Montgomery, Sanders and what other rookie am i forgetting?

Sure,  1 or maybe 2 of these guys might hit.  Odds say its Jacobs.  My gut says ill check back next year.  I wont waste my time with the guesswork.  I dont throw darts in first 10 rounds at guys who the public has ZERO knowledge of what their script use will be.   Welcome to the NFL Mopportunity.  Your Opportunity will come when you have beat the other men in the running back room ahead of you.  

Forgot one thing.   You must be able to BLOCK before you RUN.  I know it goes without saying, but there is not one person predicting for fantasy purposes that has a clue to the "actual" internal rank/level/concern/risk to QB of any of these rb's, today.  We may gather insight over (last night) the next 4-10 weeks, but it is NOT a stat that can be measured.  It's a coaches opinion.  Part of the risk until we have historical snap counts.

The last running play called was with 10:20 left in the 3rd in a 7-3 game where the passing game was noticeably poor. Abandoning the run at that point is not simply a forgivable offense. Like "hey everyone makes mistakes they'll learn from it, grow, and get better." Yeah no. It is bush league. And can't ever happen. I'm a huge believer in second chances and in learning from one's mistakes. That kind of mistake, along with the kind that gave Cohen 4 touches in the playoff loss, should have been learned from *prior* to ever being given an NFL job of any kind. The growth on that kind of mistake should be a very early prerquisite if you want to coach high school ball. Sigh ####### Bears. Always with the stupidest playcallers you can imagine. And QBs that can't find water if they fell out of a ####### boat. And a HOF caliber defense. Always.

I wouldn't use last night to come to any conclusions about either offense.....both defenses dictated the game completely
I'll give credit to the Packers D for playing a great game and having a good plan, but they did *not* dictate Nagy to call such a horrible game. Last run with 10 minutes in the 3rd? Couldn't be doing the defense a bigger favor.

Is the the overreaction thread?
Same thing was probably said about Drake last year. Thanks for making my point. 

Personally, I am not overreacting. I am making a comparison. Nagy looks just like Gase did last year. And he reminds me of Gase in that he will still do what he thinks is best because he is smarter than everyone else. That gives me great concern with Montgomery moving forward. 

There is zero chance Nagy continues with the script of last night all season and keeps his job. However, I think Mike Davis plays a significant role in that offense 
Mentioned that in a few threads this summer. We never know for certain how usage is going to play out but Davis looked really good on film last year. They must love his pass pro because it seemed like he was in on more third downs than I expected (admittedly I was viewing the game through my Cohen-is-my-RB2-you-moron glasses.) Plus he almost had a TD on that wheel route.

Everyone who drafted him, drafted him for the 2nd half of the season anyways.  Be patient.  I have no shares of him so I hope he doesn't come around and they continue the three headed attack.

People acting like Cohen limits Montgomery are behind the curve. Cohen played 46 snaps last night and 44 of them were in the slot or out wide. He fumbled on one of his only two snaps at RB. Mike Davis is the only player standing between Montgomery and workhorse snaps. Davis is no slouch, but better to be competing with Davis than Davis and Cohen.
Looked like not much preseason play showed, ALL the Bears RBs were exhausted from running back & forth from the sidelines

So you weren't too bothered yet?  I'd hate to see you when you actually get bothered.
I'm saying I think Montgomery will become involved with the offense as the season progresses. Yes, I was obviously bothered with how the offense was coached and played, as should any Bears fan be. 

I'm saying I think Montgomery will become involved with the offense as the season progresses. Yes, I was obviously bothered with how the offense was coached and played, as should any Bears fan be. 
I was bothered by it but I have faith they will turn things around.  Too much talent on the team and too early in the year for me to be worried.

I hope so. The worry is Trubisky going into his 3rd year and looking like it's his first game. 
That does suck.  Hopefully Nagy dials down the responsibility for Mitch and balances out the offense more.  Mitch doesn't need to throw the ball over 40 times in any game unless they are trying to play catch up.

Bears' David Montgomery: Factored out by game conditions

(13 hrs ago) Montgomery rushed six times for 18 yards and brought in his only target for 27 yards in the Bears' 10-3 loss to the Packers on Thursday.

The rookie's much-anticipated regular-season debut left much to be desired in terms of his final line, but the blame could hardly be placed at the talented feet of Montgomery. The Iowa State product ran decisively on his few carries despite dealing with stacked fronts, showing off the tackle-breaking acumen that became a signature during his college career. Montgomery also displayed his ability in space on his 27-yard reception in the third quarter that took the ball down to the Packers' 33-yard line. Naturally, Montgomery's seven-touch workload was far from what coach Matt Nagy would have envisioned going into the contest, so getting the 2019 third-round pick into a rhythm early is likely to be a priority in the Bears' Week 2 matchup against the Broncos a week from Sunday.

I'll give credit to the Packers D for playing a great game and having a good plan, but they did *not* dictate Nagy to call such a horrible game. Last run with 10 minutes in the 3rd? Couldn't be doing the defense a bigger favor.
GB's defense harassed the #### out of Mitch, and he had very little time to throw....I'm not giving the Bears a pass, but GB came out swinging, and it really disrupted da Bears from the get-go

GB's defense harassed the #### out of Mitch, and he had very little time to throw....I'm not giving the Bears a pass, but GB came out swinging, and it really disrupted da Bears from the get-go
Bears 1st play from scrimmage was a poor toss/fumble on what looked like some weird trick play with all 3 RBs in the backfield. 

And then it got bad from there. 

Yes, the Packers D player well, but one could argue that the biggest disruption to the Bears offense was the Bears offense. 

Not sure why people are treating this like Chubb/Hyde or Drake/Gore. 
People who spent high picks on him in dynasty/redraft want to believe that it will work out.

I have no investment in Montgomery, but I also think he's the best RB on the roster. I'm guessing he will be getting most of the touches eventually. What would concern me from a redraft standpoint is that it looks like it could take a while, and in the mean time he may not be startable. Also, this offense looks like it could be pretty dire.

From a dynasty perspective, Montgomery looked like a volume-dependent player coming out of the draft (he did not break a lot of explosive plays in college), so you take away the volume and what do you have? It's a mildly worrying sign that he isn't "the guy" right out of the gate because that was a big part of his appeal, but...it's only one game and coaches have been known to bring rookies along slowly. He could be getting 20 touches per game a month from now.

If you were a believer, I don't think you can let this game change your thinking at all. On the other hand, it's not really the start you were looking for.

Their OL was utter dog #### last night. I mean pre-season foddery bad.

That was the main issue. They were getting blown off the ball consistently. The Packers defense owned their line. As did the Bears with the Packers. The difference was....wait for it. 

Rodgers. Found a way. to get them 10 points which was all they needed.

And Tribusky was god awful with his throwing mechanics and that is an even bigger problem long term. He looks terrible throwing the football based on last night. Just flat out baaaaaaad.

I keep hearing how awful Nagy is. What I would do for a 12-4 record from the Dolphins. 

His play calling was suspect at times. But he was far from the problem last night. The Bears offensive line was totally ill equipped and looked like they have not played any football this summer. Oh wait.....they have not. 

Training camp and pre-season in this age of the NFL is a total joke. They have let the players negioate themselves out of good old fashioned two a day full pads practice to get into playing shape so they can kick ### week 1.

That was a pathetic display of what the modern day training camp and pre-season has become.

On another note. I own Montgomery and have Davis as his handcuff. Expect this every week for a little while. Davis is a good back and a veteran. They are trying to win football games and could give a rats ### about all of our fantasy teams. This was predictable. Montgomery will be a stud eventually. He is a very nice looking RB. Has a great future. But this is a three headed RBBC for a little while. They need to get their OL in order and get Mitch throwing an accurate pass. That was pathetic last night.

Their OL was utter dog #### last night. I mean pre-season foddery bad.

That was the main issue. They were getting blown off the ball consistently. The Packers defense owned their line. As did the Bears with the Packers. The difference was....wait for it. 

Rodgers. Found a way. to get them 10 points which was all they needed.

And Tribusky was god awful with his throwing mechanics and that is an even bigger problem long term. He looks terrible throwing the football based on last night. Just flat out baaaaaaad.

I keep hearing how awful Nagy is. What I would do for a 12-4 record from the Dolphins. 

His play calling was suspect at times. But he was far from the problem last night. The Bears offensive line was totally ill equipped and looked like they have not played any football this summer. Oh wait.....they have not. 

Training camp and pre-season in this age of the NFL is a total joke. They have let the players negioate themselves out of good old fashioned two a day full pads practice to get into playing shape so they can kick ### week 1.

That was a pathetic display of what the modern day training camp and pre-season has become.

On another note. I own Montgomery and have Davis as his handcuff. Expect this every week for a little while. Davis is a good back and a veteran. They are trying to win football games and could give a rats ### about all of our fantasy teams. This was predictable. Montgomery will be a stud eventually. He is a very nice looking RB. Has a great future. But this is a three headed RBBC for a little while. They need to get their OL in order and get Mitch throwing an accurate pass. That was pathetic last night.
This is what really p*sses be off about last night.  Rodgers throws up a duck and goes for a long gain.  Later that drive he throws another lame duck into coverage that manages to get caught by Graham for a TD.  That was pretty much all of their offense right there.  Rodgers also got lucky with the ball he fumbled landing right in front of his face while he was on the ground.  So frustrating.

As for Nagy, I still like him.  Hard for me not to after having Trestman and Fox.  I like Nagy but really hated his play calling last night.  If he can't change his play calling then he's going to have to hand that responsibility over to someone else.

Bears 1st play from scrimmage was a poor toss/fumble on what looked like some weird trick play with all 3 RBs in the backfield. 

And then it got bad from there. 

Yes, the Packers D player well, but one could argue that the biggest disruption to the Bears offense was the Bears offense. 
Yea, no one was impressed with the Bears offense.  I think it's a combination of no preseason snaps, GB coming out aggressive......the playcalling, meh.....again, it's the first game and the first team O was rusty.....same thing for GB....they looked like hot garbage!  I'm surprised Rodgers isn't in a full body cast today!  Now, granted the Bears D is loaded with dudes, but GB was bad and couldn't do anything most of the game

bears have the position players.....is their O line just bad?  Seems like a rust thing.....

Yea, no one was impressed with the Bears offense.  I think it's a combination of no preseason snaps, GB coming out aggressive......the playcalling, meh.....again, it's the first game and the first team O was rusty.....same thing for GB....they looked like hot garbage!  I'm surprised Rodgers isn't in a full body cast today!  Now, granted the Bears D is loaded with dudes, but GB was bad and couldn't do anything most of the game

bears have the position players.....is their O line just bad?  Seems like a rust thing.....
Rust. Their OL is a lot better than last night. Pure lack of playing in the pre-season. No continuity at all.

You know what's good for a struggling OL and a struggling QB? Running the #######ed ball. Like you've called a game before. 13:53 run to pass ratio is no bueno. You want to pass block better? Run the ball more. 

You know what's good for a struggling OL and a struggling QB? Running the #######ed ball. Like you've called a game before. 13:53 run to pass ratio is no bueno. You want to pass block better? Run the ball more. 
It’s a joke I’ve made time and time again about head coaches...hand it to the up & coming stat RB...takes it 6 yards, breaks 3 tackles & gets a tough 1st down.

Nagy turns to his assistant coach and says, “never do that again!! Quick, get Patterson in there - we’re gonna call a flea flicker deep shot to an offensive lineman reported as eligible!” 

:doh:  

Montgomery isn’t some special talent that coaches should just give snaps to no matter what. He’s a day 2 draft pick in a backfield with other capable backs who has to earn it like everyone else. He’s solid but nothing more. No doubt if the Bears offense keeps failing the pressure will be on from fans and the media (because Montgomery has been anointed before he played a down) and Nagy will be forced to give him more volume, and I’m sure he will produce fine.

Nagy is awful but no way is this comparable to the Chubb situation. Plus it’s one game.

I don't have much to say at this point about Monty or the 3-headed RBBC, but when you run Patterson up the middle on short-yardage, you're not as smart as you think you are.

Users who are viewing this thread