What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees is trending on Twitter and it is not about Football (1 Viewer)

When I learned Brees was hawking for multi-level marketing company AdvoCare, I knew I would never listen to another dumb word that came out of his mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this. I take him at his word and feel a lot better about this .
He’s done work for the same organizations in the past. And this isn’t a stand alone “National event” it’s an event planned and set up by these organizations. 

For him to insinuate that this journalist made anything up or made up a story that wasn’t there bothers me. 

Don’t know much about this, do they force people against their will to ‘be converted ‘ to being straight?  If not, what’s the big deal?  People willfully undergo this treatment. Don’t see a problem.   I’m not a Dr but it seems strange to me this treatment. What do I know? 

Don’t know much about this, do they force people against their will to ‘be converted ‘ to being straight?  If not, what’s the big deal?  People willfully undergo this treatment. Don’t see a problem.   I’m not a Dr but it seems strange to me this treatment. What do I know? 
Many of the people subjected to this treatment are children subjected to it by their parents and organizations that convince them it’s the way to save their children from hell. 

From the Deadspin article since the OP just posted the link:

https://deadspin.com/drew-brees-appears-in-video-for-gay-conversion-therapy-1837913013?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&/setsession

Drew Brees Appears In Video For Gay Conversion Therapy Sickos, Doesn't Understand What The Big Deal Is

Last week, New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees appeared in a brief video promoting “Bring Your Bible To School Day,” which, whatever. In itself, it’s probably a 3 on the scale of odd things an athlete can do with his free time. What’s actually frustrating—though frankly not too surprising—is Brees did the promo for Focus On The Family, which puts on the Bible Day and publishes the website that Brees’s video directed viewers to.

That organization may sound familiar because it once ran an anti-choice Super Bowl ad featuring Tim Tebow, or because it was once a key player on the wrong side of the battle for LGBT rights earlier this millennium. While their relevance has dipped as gay people have won more widespread acceptance in the U.S., their core views remain the same: no same-sex marriage, no same-sex adoption, etc.—you know the sort of bigots. Perhaps most heinous of Focus On The Family’s anti-gay causes is the organization’s continued support of conversion therapy, the deeply wrongheaded and harmful idea that gay people can and should be turned straight.

“I want people to know that God changes people, that leaving homosexuality is a possibility, and that we should have the freedom to do so,” Focus on the Family “issues analyst” Jeff Johnston told CBS News last year, arguing against bans on conversion therapy. “The Government shouldn’t step between me and my counselor. That’s not their role.”

Because opposition to LGBT people is Focus On The Family’s signature issue, people naturally got upset to see Brees associate with prominent homophobes. Big Easy Magazine was one of the first to note the problem, and found evidence of a relationship between Brees and Focus on the Family dating back to at least 2010.

But in a video he released today, Brees had a message for his critics: What? Me, bigoted? Me??? (Tweet at link)

“I do not support any groups that discriminate or have their own agendas that are trying to promote inequality,” said Brees after supporting a group that discriminates and has its own agenda that tries to promote inequality.

He’s done work for the same organizations in the past. And this isn’t a stand alone “National event” it’s an event planned and set up by these organizations. 

For him to insinuate that this journalist made anything up or made up a story that wasn’t there bothers me. 
He’s done work for Focus on the Family before?

From the Deadspin article since the OP just posted the link:

https://deadspin.com/drew-brees-appears-in-video-for-gay-conversion-therapy-1837913013?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&/setsession

Drew Brees Appears In Video For Gay Conversion Therapy Sickos, Doesn't Understand What The Big Deal Is

Last week, New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees appeared in a brief video promoting “Bring Your Bible To School Day,” which, whatever. In itself, it’s probably a 3 on the scale of odd things an athlete can do with his free time. What’s actually frustrating—though frankly not too surprising—is Brees did the promo for Focus On The Family, which puts on the Bible Day and publishes the website that Brees’s video directed viewers to.

That organization may sound familiar because it once ran an anti-choice Super Bowl ad featuring Tim Tebow, or because it was once a key player on the wrong side of the battle for LGBT rights earlier this millennium. While their relevance has dipped as gay people have won more widespread acceptance in the U.S., their core views remain the same: no same-sex marriage, no same-sex adoption, etc.—you know the sort of bigots. Perhaps most heinous of Focus On The Family’s anti-gay causes is the organization’s continued support of conversion therapy, the deeply wrongheaded and harmful idea that gay people can and should be turned straight.

“I want people to know that God changes people, that leaving homosexuality is a possibility, and that we should have the freedom to do so,” Focus on the Family “issues analyst” Jeff Johnston told CBS News last year, arguing against bans on conversion therapy. “The Government shouldn’t step between me and my counselor. That’s not their role.”

Because opposition to LGBT people is Focus On The Family’s signature issue, people naturally got upset to see Brees associate with prominent homophobes. Big Easy Magazine was one of the first to note the problem, and found evidence of a relationship between Brees and Focus on the Family dating back to at least 2010.

But in a video he released today, Brees had a message for his critics: What? Me, bigoted? Me??? (Tweet at link)

“I do not support any groups that discriminate or have their own agendas that are trying to promote inequality,” said Brees after supporting a group that discriminates and has its own agenda that tries to promote inequality.
I work with 2 educated Muslim men who think being homosexual is a disease and should be treated as such. They will not listen to anything otherwise.  Sad but I guess some people have different views on this topic.

He’s done work for Focus on the Family before?
From the writer's response article:

In 2010, he appeared on their radio show, a segment that they continue to sell on CD in order to help fund their activities, and in 2015 his family was featured in an article on their website.

But this isn’t the only anti-gay and conversion-therapy advocate that Brees has spoken to and appeared with. In 2012, the Rock Church in San Diego, led by Pastor Miles McPherson held an all-day “ex-gay therapy” (conversion therapy) event. And in 2015, Mr. Brees appeared quite friendly with Pastor McPherson when he chose to appear at the Rock Church: [video embedded]

I guess I’m just not big on association. I defended Obama back in 2008 for that church he attended. I don’t see this as much different. 

If Brees comes out in favor of gay conversion therapy himself, or if he makes a homophobic comment, then I would have a problem. But simply joining the group on an issue that he agrees with (bringing bibles to school) is not the same thing. At least not IMO. 

I guess I’m just not big on association. I defended Obama back in 2008 for that church he attended. I don’t see this as much different. 

If Brees comes out in favor of gay conversion therapy himself, or if he makes a homophobic comment, then I would have a problem. But simply joining the group on an issue that he agrees with (bringing bibles to school) is not the same thing. At least not IMO. 
If someone did a promo for a pancake breakfast hosted by the Westboro Baptist Church, how would you feel about that?

Focus On The Family is a bit more than just simply being a group that one joins or a church that one attends.

If someone did a promo for a pancake breakfast hosted by the Westboro Baptist Church, how would you feel about that?
Not good.  But I disagree with the analogy. Westboro is a small group of extreme haters. Focus on the Family is a large group that represents millions of people. I strongly doubt that they’re all in lockstep regarding homosexuality. In fact I personally know some evangelical Christians who disagree with Focus about gay conversion therapy, yet give money to that group because they agree with them about abortion, Christian rights, etc. 

Not good.  But I disagree with the analogy. Westboro is a small group of extreme haters. Focus on the Family is a large group that represents millions of people. I strongly doubt that they’re all in lockstep regarding homosexuality. In fact I personally know some evangelical Christians who disagree with Focus about gay conversion therapy, yet give money to that group because they agree with them about abortion, Christian rights, etc. 
Oh, okay.  How do you feel about someone making a promo video for a pancake breakfast for Hezbollah?

Focus On The Family is a bit more than just simply being a group that one joins or a church that one attends.
In some ways less, in some ways more. Personally I think attending a church week after week in which a minister preaches hate is bit more questionable than associating with a large Christian organization in which you might agree with some of their beliefs and take issue with others. In neither case do I believe it’s fair to judge a person unless he clearly states that he agrees with a certain doctrine. 

Oh, okay.  How do you feel about someone making a promo video for a pancake breakfast for Hezbollah?
Again this depends. Are you talking about the Hezbollah with a history of violent terrorists attacks against innocent people? Or are you talking about the Hezbollah that attempts to bring much needed food and medical supplies to people who sorely need it in Gaza and the West Bank? 

Association is a very dangerous thing. My great uncle was a Communist who wrote some articles for the Daily Worker. He also was a union organizer who lost his job during the Red Scare- he was blacklisted. The fact that he was a Communist meant, to the powers that be, that he supported the mass murderer Josef Stalin and the violent overthrow of the United States. But he didn’t. This was an unfair, simplistic description of what he actually believed. 

It would be perfectly fine to ask Drew Brees at this point if he believes in gay conversion therapy. If he says yes, then you can condemn him. If he says no, then I think it’s unfair to condemn him based on his association with  Focus. 

Again this depends. Are you talking about the Hezbollah with a history of violent terrorists attacks against innocent people? Or are you talking about the Hezbollah that attempts to bring much needed food and medical supplies to people who sorely need it in Gaza and the West Bank? 

Association is a very dangerous thing. My great uncle was a Communist who wrote some articles for the Daily Worker. He also was a union organizer who lost his job during the Red Scare- he was blacklisted. The fact that he was a Communist meant, to the powers that be, that he supported the mass murderer Josef Stalin and the violent overthrow of the United States. But he didn’t. This was an unfair, simplistic description of what he actually believed. 

It would be perfectly fine to ask Drew Brees at this point if he believes in gay conversion therapy. If he says yes, then you can condemn him. If he says no, then I think it’s unfair to condemn him based on his association with  Focus. 
They're the same organization, tim.  Which is kind of the point.

If Jeffrey Dahmer were still alive and trying to start a gofundme for kids to lose weight on a paleo diet, I still wouldn't do a promo video for him.

They're the same organization, tim.  Which is kind of the point.

If Jeffrey Dahmer were still alive and trying to start a gofundme for kids to lose weight on a paleo diet, I still wouldn't do a promo video for him.
Do you recall how conservatives attacked Obama for being on a committee in Chicago that also included Louis Farrakhan and that 60s dude who bombed the Pentagon? Is that what you want? 

Sorry but unless the words come out of somebody’s own mouth I’m not going to condemn anyone for whoever they choose to hang around with. 

Do you recall how conservatives attacked Obama for being on a committee in Chicago that also included Louis Farrakhan and that 60s dude who bombed the Pentagon? Is that what you want? 

Sorry but unless the words come out of somebody’s own mouth I’m not going to condemn anyone for whoever they choose to hang around with. 
Do you understand that being on a committee or in a workplace with someone who is a scumbag isn't the same thing as doing a promo video for a scumbag?

I'm not saying we need to go after everyone who worked at the same office as Jeffrey Dahmer.  I'm saying we need to not be doing promo videos for him.

Do you understand that being on a committee or in a workplace with someone who is a scumbag isn't the same thing as doing a promo video for a scumbag?

I'm not saying we need to go after everyone who worked at the same office as Jeffrey Dahmer.  I'm saying we need to not be doing promo videos for him.
That’s fair. But Focus on the Family is a large organization that represents millions of people. It’s not Jeffrey Dahmer. 

Shouldn't we just cut to the chase and ask him he believes that "homosexuality is wrong"?    He could still believe he loves a person, respects a person, even accepts a person while simultaneously thinking a core quality of that person "is wrong".   We had a decade or so of posters claiming that they "hated the sin but loved the sinner".  Had a decade worth of posters claiming that believing that "homosexuality was wrong" didn't mean that they thought any less of a homosexual but merely "disagreed".  To me his reply tip toes around whether or not he "anti gay" in the very same way these posts did.   

And doesn't asking whether he believes in gay conversion therapy lead to the simple answer of "yes, I believe that gay conversion therapy is a real thing"?

Shouldn't we just cut to the chase and ask him he believes that "homosexuality is wrong"?    He could still believe he loves a person, respects a person, even accepts a person while simultaneously thinking a core quality of that person "is wrong".   We had a decade or so of posters claiming that they "hated the sin but loved the sinner".  Had a decade worth of posters claiming that believing that "homosexuality was wrong" didn't mean that they thought any less of a homosexual but merely "disagreed".  To me his reply tip toes around whether or not he "anti gay" in the very same way these posts did.   

And doesn't asking whether he believes in gay conversion therapy lead to the simple answer of "yes, I believe that gay conversion therapy is a real thing"?
And suppose he says “yes as a Christian I believe homosexuality is a sin”? Are you willing to condemn him for that? Stop rooting for him? 

Westboro baptist church is small, at only 70 members.

But Focus on the Family only employees 640 people, so I don't get where you are claiming they represent millions. The do have millions consuming their garba... er... I mean.... goods and services though. 

I dunno guys. I have very close gay friends, and I have some very close Christian friends who believe that homosexuality is a sin. Obviously I strongly disagree with them but I’m not going to end my friendship with them over it. 

Users who are viewing this thread