What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OJ Howard or Evan Engram (1 Viewer)

Both are great young upside TE's.  Flip a coin type situation.  

gun to head i take OJ since the TB offense should be better than the Giants.

This is easily Engram for me.  There is so much uncertainty in TB and with Arian's non-use of TEs.  Engram already has a 700/6 stat line as a rookie.  Engram is in line to be the top offensive option aside from Barkley.  Howard could be great too but more unknowns with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
 I prefer Engram, for several reasons  they both had health issues, so I call that aspect a wash. 

• Volume:  OJ is on a team with Mike Evans & Godwin, so he’s likely option #3, where Engram is arguably option 1 in the Giants receiving gameplan.

• Giants have a better RB, by far, which will command some attention away from the passing game as safeties will have to respect the run. So Engram will get covered by LB more often than not, while IMO the quality of coverage on O.J. will be less of a mismatch since the Bucs OL & run game suck.

• OL - Giants OL isn’t a world beater, but Bucs are bottom 3 from what I’ve seen. That means sacks & pressure, which means mistakes by Winston, or at best looking out his ear hole. Hard to sustain drives like that. 

• QB play - Eli doesn’t have the cannon Winston does, but he makes less mistakes knows how to run an offense. I just threw up in my mouth a little at defending Eli Manning, but it is what it is. And if something  happened to Eli, they have a rookie who looks like he might even be an upgrade. If something happens to Winston they have....uh...well I’m not sure but probably not as good as Jones.  

Overall I give the edge to Engram by a lot. IMO OJ will do pretty much what he did last year while Engram has a chance to be a 80/1000/12 guy. 

In my view, OJ has more talent. But Engram has a better situation at the moment. Take your pick--they are about equal.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
 I prefer Engram, for several reasons  they both had health issues, so I call that aspect a wash. 

• Volume:  OJ is on a team with Mike Evans & Godwin, so he’s likely option #3, where Engram is arguably option 1 in the Giants receiving gameplan.

• Giants have a better RB, by far, which will command some attention away from the passing game as safeties will have to respect the run. So Engram will get covered by LB more often than not, while IMO the quality of coverage on O.J. will be less of a mismatch since the Bucs OL & run game suck.

• OL - Giants OL isn’t a world beater, but Bucs are bottom 3 from what I’ve seen. That means sacks & pressure, which means mistakes by Winston, or at best looking out his ear hole. Hard to sustain drives like that. 

• QB play - Eli doesn’t have the cannon Winston does, but he makes less mistakes knows how to run an offense. I just threw up in my mouth a little at defending Eli Manning, but it is what it is. And if something  happened to Eli, they have a rookie who looks like he might even be an upgrade. If something happens to Winston they have....uh...well I’m not sure but probably not as good as Jones.  

Overall I give the edge to Engram by a lot. IMO OJ will do pretty much what he did last year while Engram has a chance to be a 80/1000/12 guy. 
Agree with this...as a general rule the best TEs are usually ones without a #1 stud WR (Gronk, Kittle, Engram).

Kelce is the exception with Hill

Counterpoint, it’ll be easier for opposing teams to bracket Engram. They have two good slot WRs (after Week 4 when Tate comes back) and who? Besides being guys have never been in my kitchen, Cody Latimer, Bennie Fowler, Russell Shepard, Darius Slayton, and Cody Core are not gonna any sleepless nights for DCs. Doesn’t compare with the Evans-Godwin duo. 140 targets departed Tampa (Humphries & Jackson.) Finally, Bruce Arians is not calling plays for the first time since 2006. Byron Leftwitch (interim OC last year) was Arians backup & someone the unretired HC trusts.

Last year in limited action (10 & 11 games), they were TE6 & TE7 on a PPG basis in PPR, right behind Ebron & Cook. Engram will have more volume but The Juice has been a RZ monster since he came into the league - 11 TDs on 87 career targets (23 games.)

Users who are viewing this thread