What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Surprise LBs - rank WW priority (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
Some surprise guys who solidified or snagged good roles very late in the preseason are available on waivers in many leagues.  I just had a waiver run across five leagues and picked up various shares of:

• Kyzir White LAC (never know if Brown and Perryman are good)
  • Tae Davis NYG (who?)
  • Neville Hewitt NYJ (know almost nothing about him)
  • Jon Bostic WAS (concerned about the SDH/JHC 3-way split)
  • Sam Eguavoean MIA (concern over McMillan split)
How would you guys rank this lot?  I guess I'd put them in the order I listed them in, but I'm certainly not confident.  I'm not even sure I put them in the same order in each league as I submitted waivers, other than Kyzir at the top.

I'd rank them in order of job security for 80% of snaps (as best as Joe schmo on the couch can tell) AFTER Kyzir White, who might actually be good. I can't understand why a perryman/white duo in nickel has been so ephemeral to date.

Eguavoen, Hewitt, Bostic, Davis

This is of course certain to change in 48 hours. 

Eguavoean has had the "drum beat" throughout preseason, so I made him my priority add of the bunch. 

I'd put Tae Davis next solely b/c the Giants have to feel pretty confident in what they've got to trade Goodson. 

Hewitt is also an unknown for me. I've added him where able but it sounds like Cashman is the better pass coverage player so it looks like neither will be 3DLB.

I've been banging the drum for Kyzir White since last year but dropped him last week at final cuts. Added him immediately when I was able to kick a player to IR and open a roster spot, though. Following him closely since last year and it sure sounds like he's a coverage only guy to start the season, though that seems to be due to injury. 

I'd probably rank Bostic at the bottom simply because he's the only to have proven his JAGness. He could easily be the stat-compiler type that is a stud IDP this year due to opportunity despite said JAGness.

Hewitt (1PD; 1INT; 4TK; 3A)

White (8TK; 1A)

Equavoen (2TK; 2A; 1.5SK)

Davis (2TK; 1A)

Bostic (2A)
*Holcombe (8TK; 1A)

It'll be interesting to see the snap counts later in the week. The stats pretty certainly look like Holcomb is the guy to own in WAS. Hewitt got an INT so the concern about pass coverage may be reduced (still haven't looked at the highlights, tho, may have been a gimme). Kyzir White is the big surprise with a great stat line. 

oooohhhh... fancy you! I though we'd have to wait another day for snap counts. TIL. Thanks for the new (to me) resource.  :D

Mosley had 48 snaps before injury... looks like Hewitt was well ahead of Cashman even before the injury to Mosley. No idea when that occured but it sure looks like Hewitt is a must-add (probably would have been without CJ injury, too)

Browns turn to contingency plans with surgery being considered for Christian Kirksey

...“Christian, we’re trying to evaluate and see what the best course of action is with him,” Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said after Thursday’s practice.

Asked if Kirksey will need surgery because of a torn pectoral muscle, Kitchens said, “We’re talking to other doctors to see what the action is.”

Kitchens said rookie fifth-round draft pick Mack Wilson would play in place of Kirksey, who left in the fourth quarter of “Monday Night Football” with the injury, but returned. Wilson logged 11 snaps in Kirksey’s absence, registered four tackles and finished the game. Rookie third-round choice Sione Takitaki would have a role on the rare occasion the Browns use three linebackers in their base defense.

Just to add on to the Mack Wilson talk, looks like he had 100% of the snaps this week along with Schobert. Could be a nice add.

Ryan Connelly- Giants

84% last week 92% this week. Started last 2 games over Davis. I don't believe that is going to change. They had been raving about him all off-season. Was calling the plays when Ogletree left the game as well.

AJ Klein saw the field for 100% this week. Clearly not a game changer but if the opportunity knocks he might be there to answer the door and be an LB4/bench depth guy

Holcomb back to about half the snaps, down from 90% last week. Still had a good line but not sure what they are doing in Washington. Hopefully his snaps pick up again. It's not like they have many other options. 

Kiko Alonso dropped in a league... he's getting no snaps yet in NO despite Anzalone's injury.  Should I snag him?  I'm solid at LB, but he's there...

Everywhere I look, I see Mack Wilson for LB in Cleveland.  What happened to Takitaki?   I was reading he is a tackling machine.

Is Wilson legit?   I try not to watch Browns games, uniforms give me headaches.

Wilson or KJ Wright?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Wright is the more reliable of the two. You know what you have in Wright and it been productivity outside of his injury plague season last year. Wilson could very well hit but if only given one choice in redraft I’d prefer Wright 

Kiko Alonso dropped in a league... he's getting no snaps yet in NO despite Anzalone's injury.  Should I snag him?  I'm solid at LB, but he's there...
Probably not. It's likely to be yet another season of scrub NOLA LBs that are just clogging your roster space. Unless the news is clear that he's passed Klein on the depth chart, I'd just assume Kiko is not showing enough to warrant a spot.

got outbid for KJ and Wilson, ended up with Okereke for a price of $5(out of $1000 season FAAB).   
A decent stop-gap while Leonard is out but Walker put up one helluva stat line last week. I'm not sure Okereke is taking over for Walker, despite the rumblings from preseason. Not sure if Walker was compiling like a boss or actually playing very good D, though.

What is the deal with Kyzir White?  Is he hurt?  Is he terrible?
I think he simply isn't a starter. Not unlike Eric Wilson for the Vikings. Wilson looked good two weeks ago but last week he was back to a backup role. White looks to have gotten about 1/3 of the snaps last week and Perryman got 2/3 and the Dolphins team didn't keep the Chargers D on the field very long.

I think he simply isn't a starter. Not unlike Eric Wilson for the Vikings. Wilson looked good two weeks ago but last week he was back to a backup role. White looks to have gotten about 1/3 of the snaps last week and Perryman got 2/3 and the Dolphins team didn't keep the Chargers D on the field very long.
Yep. The preseason news (while White was still injured) was that he was a passing down player. No Perryman in weeks 1 and 2 allowed White to shine but his snaps dried up the second Perryman was ready. White isn't startable. I still have him as a stash but it looks like he'll only have value with injury/ineffectiveness ahead of him. Both have been proven to be strong possibilities. Otherwise, he's a low-end bye week filler in any week where the Chargers won't roll over their opponent.

Any ideas what happened to Sam Eguavoen against LAC? Snaps dropped from 94%, 93%, 100% down to 73% and he only recorded 1 assist.

So Reed or Hollins with Chubb gone?
Reed might have more of a pass rush role to directly replace Chubb, but Hollins more upside for me because he has some pass rush ability but they also like to use him as an ILB on passing downs because he's better in coverage than guys like Jewell or Nelson. In dynasty he's very intriguing, but short-term he's probably barely worth a roster spot. If Jewell continues to be out though, he's at least interesting since his role may grow. 

Edit: after posting this, I read this article which is pretty critical of Hollins: https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/film/film-room-lb-justin-hollins-was-a-liability-for-denver-broncos-in-week-4-but-can-grow/

Everywhere I look, I see Mack Wilson for LB in Cleveland.  What happened to Takitaki?   I was reading he is a tackling machine.

Is Wilson legit?   I try not to watch Browns games, uniforms give me headaches.

Wilson or KJ Wright?
Wilson has taken over for Kirskey.    Mack Wilson promises he won't let Christian Kirksey down in replacing him

This week against the Niners looks like a good matchup.  I've heard Wilks is going to more of a traditional front this week and will use three linebackers.  

Late on the KJ call but Wilson looks like a 'good' start this week.

EDIT:  Jimmy G. throws a ton of INTs and Mack had a lot of INTs in the preseason.  Kittle will test the middle of the field, Mack will be in position and has the athleticism to make plays if/when Jimmy turns one over.

Jimmy Garoppolo interception rate has gotten worse .. from 2.8 percent in 2017 to 3.4 ... in 2018 to 4.8 percent so far in 2019

Troy Reeder? What do we make of his game yesterday? Anomaly? I didn't watch so I don't know how he looked, but there's already 2 elite IDP options there with JJ III and Littleton.

Troy Reeder? What do we make of his game yesterday? Anomaly? I didn't watch so I don't know how he looked, but there's already 2 elite IDP options there with JJ III and Littleton.
Added him to my watchlists and will try to add him in waivers (55 man rosters, though). I haven't seen Rams games (aside from last night) but the box scores show Hager doing nothing in 4 weeks of trying. The rookie steps in and scores well. The Rams games have been fairly even, too, so they don't look like game-script differences that would cause the stats. If he has earned the starting spot he has good upside as an ILB in a 3-4. Snap counts matter, and I wasn't listening to the game and half-watching, so I have no idea if Reeder compiled garbage tackles 15 yards away from the LOS. Still, even if he did, he compiled better than Hager has. :D

TheCenci said:
Did anyone hear anything about Ckay Matthew's being injured?  He was out of the game after his personal foul and I thought I saw him goi g to the locker room before the game was over.  But I didn't hear any report or comment about him at all.

Anybody hear anything?

Just acquired Quincy Williams in a dynasty league. Has anyone watched him closely and have an opinion on him? 

I see he is posting solid tackle numbers and playing all of the snaps but has he looked solid? Does he have any splash play potential? 

Thanks. 

Just acquired Quincy Williams in a dynasty league. Has anyone watched him closely and have an opinion on him? 

I see he is posting solid tackle numbers and playing all of the snaps but has he looked solid? Does he have any splash play potential? 

Thanks. 
He has been injured lost of pre season and to start the regular season.  He was looking very good before the injuries and is now starting to get up to speed. He will be a solid LB2 with LB1 potential.

Did anyone hear anything about Ckay Matthew's being injured?  He was out of the game after his personal foul and I thought I saw him goi g to the locker room before the game was over.  But I didn't hear any report or comment about him at all.

Anybody hear anything?

Can’t find anything either. I would think he should be fine. 

Thanks. 
Keep in mind that he's in Telvin Smith's spot, so the long-term future is cloudy.

Clay Matthews has a broken jaw and will have surgery.  He will miss 4 weeks.  Too bad, he was outstanding for big play leagues.

Thanks. 
Rookie from a small school that missed most of preseason disclaimer, but dude was lost yesterday.

Haven't seen anything here on this guy but SLEEPERR ALERT...

-----------------------------------------------

Denver LB  Alexander Johnson

Having finally jumped Corey Nelson and Josey Jewell on the depth chart, Johnson started at inside linebacker alongside Todd Davis each of the past two games. The results have been encouraging from both a real-life and fantasy point of view considering the 27-year-old recorded 17 tackles, 1.5 sacks, two pass breakups and one interception while seeing at least 87 percent of the snaps in each game. It seems highly unlikely Denver will go back to either Jewell or Nelson anytime soon, making Johnson an interesting IDP prospect.

Caught us sleeping on the forum, @Bracie Smathers!  I picked him up and started him in a Sleeper league. Turns out there was a player card for Alexander Johnson and AJ Johnson. I had the latter. Sleeper realized it late in the week, pulled the plug on my player card, and renamed it "D. Player (Duplicate Player)." I got Sleeper to fix this after the fact or I'd have lost my matchup. So, lots of folks, including Sleeper, sleeping on AJ/Alexander Johnson!

Yup, I picked up AJ Johnson in 4 of my 5 leagues.

I need to remember to trade away all my LBs every offseason - there's so much on the wire every season.

Looking at https://thestickyboard.com/, I have these shares of players nobody owned a week before the season:

• (4) Hewitt
  • (4) AJ Johnson
  • (4) Damien Wilson
  • (2) Morrow
  • (2) Holcomb
  • (2) Grugier-Hill

I need to remember to trade away all my LBs every offseason - there's so much on the wire every season.

Looking at https://thestickyboard.com/, I have these shares of players nobody owned a week before the season:

• (4) Hewitt
  • (4) AJ Johnson
  • (4) Damien Wilson
  • (2) Morrow
  • (2) Holcomb
  • (2) Grugier-Hill
Oh cool site!

• (4) Hewitt
  • (4) AJ Johnson
  • (4) Damien Wilson
  • (2) Morrow
  • (2) Holcomb
  • (2) Grugier-Hill
This is probably semantics on my part and the above is why I actively try not to trade for LB's, but I primarily use them as depth. Holcomb is the 24th highest scorer in one of my league's, but he's only seen a snap count over 80% once. Damien Wilson's been on the field more, but he's still not eclipsed 90% and his per game rates really aren't that good (LB50 after last night). With Moseley's return imminent will Hewitt cede some snaps to Cashman? 

Again, probably not what you were getting at - but there's a reason these guys weren't owned in August. They're useful right now, but I'd prefer they be backup plans post bye weeks as we get to December.

Users who are viewing this thread