What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1 pleasant surprises: Lamar Jackson, Desean Jackson, Sammy Watkins- which one has staying power? (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I’m wondering if the 3 pleasant suprises so far: Lamar Jackson, Desean Jackson, Sammy Watkins- which of these guys, if any, is going to be a season long star? Which ones would you sell high? Curious to see what people think. 

Lamar. Won't be this dominant consistently, because Miami is just atrocious. But I think he's the real deal. DeSean I think will be feast or famine. We've seen this before with him. And Sammy will command more attention after this performance and with Hill probably being out for a really long time. Plus I don't trust him to stay healthy. 

Of the 3, the only one I own is Lamar Jackson. Naturally he was on my bench (though my starter, Wentz, did fine, and it may give me a nice dilemma because I think Wentz will continue to be fine.) 

Lamar barely ran today. And the guy from the DirectTV fantasy show pointed out that the Dolphins never adjusted their defense, which was one safety over the top again and again, and Jackson just killed it. 

Going a different direction, I really like McLaurin. Looks like the real deal on a team bereft of pass catching talent.

Desean will eat all season, if he stays healthy. 
He will do just fine, but I don't see him as a weekly starter.  This Eagles offense is going to be extremely hard to predict week to week.  I think he will out perform where you drafted him, and is just fine to flex or start in your WR3 spot all season, but games like this won't happen often.  Ertz could go off next week and Jackson could have a 5 for 60 and 0 type night and it wouldn't be surprising.  If you can get someone to value him as a WR1 this year, I'd sell high.

He will do just fine, but I don't see him as a weekly starter.  This Eagles offense is going to be extremely hard to predict week to week.  I think he will out perform where you drafted him, and is just fine to flex or start in your WR3 spot all season, but games like this won't happen often.  Ertz could go off next week and Jackson could have a 5 for 60 and 0 type night and it wouldn't be surprising.  If you can get someone to value him as a WR1 this year, I'd sell high.
Oh absolutely. Even in his prime he was like that, and that offense is stacked. 

Watkins has never proven he can stay healthy an entire season. So I am skeptical. 

Lamar Jackson is a rising star.

Desean Jackson is in a great situation. 

The Jackson’s have the staying power. 

DJax starts off every year good. Way too many weapons on that team to rely on him every week. Solid wr3

LJax obviously won't face Mia every week it looks like he throws a pretty deep ball, has some weapons in Brown and Andrews, a great oline, and he didn't even use his legs yet. Looks like a solid QB1 ROS. 

Watkins is now the top WR on the best offense and best QB in football. He's a WR1 until Hill comes back. 

All are legit. 

The biggest surprises of the week for me were the rookie WRs

DJAX I think ...then Watkins .... LJackson had a great day, I'll be surprised if he duplicates it again this season

McLaurin looks for real IMO. Case missed a wide open 2nd bomb TD. And he made a few difficult catches, didn't look like a rookie at all to me. I agree as long as Wentz has time, Desean will have a great season. Probably one of the steals of the draft. Can Jackson and M. Brown continue this? Not sure, but I kinda hope so, I've always hated the Ravens but found myself cheering for them. Brown is like a video game player. 

Redraft, I’m going after Watson, Hollywood, AJ Brown, and McLaurin in that order.

TE Walker, my only issue is he has the same bye week as Engram who’s having a good day and by all accounts will be a target hawk. Looks like I may have fallen for Hunter Henry who’s over-hyped again this year headed into the draft.

Tex

DJAX I think ...then Watkins .... LJackson had a great day, I'll be surprised if he duplicates it again this season
LJax had good games last season - he hardly had to run today.  We'll have to see if its a new philosophy or it was Miami being that bad.  Balt also had a 40 yard run off a fake punt and recovered a fumbled punt inside the 15.  Watkins will be interesting as I think he needs Hill out there to exploit #2 coverage.  

Another one worth a look is John Brown who had a big game for Buffalo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta add this TE from Detroit, Hockensen. I grabbed him this morning though naturally he’s on my bench too. Starting OJ Howard who is mediocre. 

Is Hockensen for real? 

I honestly don't know if we can make any conclusions about the Ravens.  The Dolphins may be a historically bad offense.  

Lamar remains to be seen - cannot judge by a Dolphins team that clearly is being throw to the wolves by a tanking management team.  That said - certainly could be the start of something big for him.

I agree that DeSean looks primed to be a big piece for the Eagles to use and Watkins should definitely get a bump with the opportunity he now gets with the injury to Hill.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread