Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty: QB Gardner Minshew II, Jaguars - Is the clock about to strike midnight on Minshew Mania?

the last time i started him was when he laid an egg vs MIA.

but now I'm back due to lack of options and here is jake ciely's take:

Minshew struggles mightily against man coverage, which the Lions run more than anyone. The Chargers are in the bottom third, or running a high amount of zone, and they’re also one of the best matchups for quarterbacks according to APA (26.5, which is +6.9 over league average). And as always, Minshew runs (21-for-101 this season), which we love in fantasy.

How long before we see Jake Luton? 

You can see in the body language of his receivers that they just don't have faith in him. Especially Chark, who runs great routes and Minshew misses him by  yards. 

a) Minshew is an interesting diversion on a bad team.

b)Minshew upside might be career backup 

c) Minshew is not a franchise QB.

d)Minshew should never be benched for Mike Glennon

all 4 things can be true

• Thanks 1

Gardner Minshew completed 14-of-27 passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns in the Jaguars' Week 7 loss to the Chargers.

The good news is that Minshew was not benched mid-game following rumors that he's on the verge of being replaced. The bad news is that he still struggled. Minshew's arm lacks NFL-starter zip and his usual serviceable accuracy has gone missing in recent weeks. It's easy to tell that D.J. Chark and the other receivers are ready for a change, and the coaching staff could make a move at any point. That alone keeps Minshew outside of QB2 consideration even if he's been posting top-20 fantasy numbers through seven weeks.

Oct 25, 2020, 8:15 PM ET

Gardner's accuracy recently just isn't acceptable. It really stood out as a strong point for him last year along with his touch.

That said, I laughed out loud when I read the blurb this AM I think that they'd (potentially) replace him with........Mike Glennon. :lmao: C'MON MAN!!!

Bench him for Glennon?  Lol who is writing these blurbs.

Dude is a 24 year old 2nd year starter currently on pace to throw for 4250 passing yards with 32 TDs, a completion pct near 70, YPA in the 7's, QB rtg in the 90's.

You put that on paper without a name and 2/3rd's of the league would trade their entire next draft for it.

Maybe, just maybe the Jags issue has more to do with the defense giving up 30+ points in 6 out of 7 games this year.

• Like 1

I had high hopes for Minshew this year and I agree he's been a bit disappointing this year, but Mike Glennon? What would be the point of that? I still think that if Minshew had draft capital behind him but was producing the same performances his leash would be much longer. That's just the way it is. For him to keep the job beyond this year, they had to win 5 or 6 games and make it unlikely that they could draft one of the top QBs. Well the team has fallen completely apart again and I guess Minshew will be the fall guy. I think it's a shame because he's good enough to have a starting job IMO, but he probably just hasn't put enough good games/wins together (not that he's had much help). 

On 10/26/2020 at 12:33 AM, FreeBaGeL said:

Bench him for Glennon?  Lol who is writing these blurbs.

Dude is a 24 year old 2nd year starter currently on pace to throw for 4250 passing yards with 32 TDs, a completion pct near 70, YPA in the 7's, QB rtg in the 90's.

You put that on paper without a name and 2/3rd's of the league would trade their entire next draft for it.

Maybe, just maybe the Jags issue has more to do with the defense giving up 30+ points in 6 out of 7 games this year.

What's the goal? Trevor Lawrence or another top QB from the draft? 

On paper, Minshew looks good, but those who watch the games say he's missed some throws and has no zip on the long throws, ala Brees. Also, Chark dropped some passes, so it's definitely not all on Minshew. 

The bye week would be the time to check out the rookie... and probably lose some more games.

On 10/25/2020 at 11:22 PM, RushHour said:

I had high hopes for Minshew this year and I agree he's been a bit disappointing this year, but Mike Glennon? What would be the point of that? I still think that if Minshew had draft capital behind him but was producing the same performances his leash would be much longer. That's just the way it is. For him to keep the job beyond this year, they had to win 5 or 6 games and make it unlikely that they could draft one of the top QBs. Well the team has fallen completely apart again and I guess Minshew will be the fall guy. I think it's a shame because he's good enough to have a starting job IMO, but he probably just hasn't put enough good games/wins together (not that he's had much help). 

Agreed. If you told Dolphins fans that you were from the future and Tua was going to put up a 4200 passing yards pace at a 32 TD pace with a completion percentage near 70 and QB rating in the 90's they would say OMG we finally found the next Marino.

I know we're in a new era but Minshew put up a top 10 rookie QB season all-time and has followed it up with a pretty good sophomore campaign.  The wins are missing, obviously, but that's not surprising on a team that has allowed fewer than 30 points only once all year.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Helaire-ious said:

Luton or Glennon time?

Is it though? Minshew has been playing through it, and several QBs have played through broken thumbs on their throwing hand. The writing might be on the wall (regardless of injury) but I'm not so sure it will be because of the injury.

Just now, Mag1234 said:

Is it though? Minshew has been playing through it, and several QBs have played through broken thumbs on their throwing hand. The writing might be on the wall (regardless of injury) but I'm not so sure it will be because of the injury.

I was asking which would start, Luton or Glennon? ;)

Looks like Minshew will not be starting after the bye

22 minutes ago, Helaire-ious said:

Luton or Glennon time?

The injury gives them an excuse (I suppose) to "go to Glennon". I couldn't imagine for the life of me going to Glennon just purely on benching a healthy Minshew. 

I'd see what Luton's got if Minshew can't go or straight benching. I wouldn't bench a healthy Minshew myself. I think he'll have a very healthy market around the league if the Jags decide he's not their starter long term (more likely than not) or backup (if they bench him now...I think you say "We don't see you having a future on the team").

For a guy 1.5 year in the league and 2 different systems, there's a lot to like on film. 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

If the team knew about his injuries in his hand and still made the statement that they were threatening to bench him because of his play seems bush league to me. I understand not wanting to divulge an injury to your opponents but it insinuates he isn't performing well and is fairly healthy. Like has been mentioned, he's been putting up good numbers on a bad team. It seems his downturn in play has been because of injuries. Should they bench him because of the injuries? Maybe, but at least be upfront about it.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew is expected to be inactive for Week 9 against the Texans.

One of Mike Glennon or Jake Lutton will draw the start next week. Rapoport noted that both passers have looked better than Minshew in practice at certain points. Minshew is dealing with a thumb fracture and strained ligament but his Week 9 status could also be the result of his middling play. Minshew is averaging 6.9 yards per attempt and hasn't led Jacksonville to a win since Week 1. Lutton, a sixth-round rookie, could get the start so the Jaguars can see if he has any long-term potential.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 1, 2020, 12:04 PM ET

8 minutes ago, Faust said:

Lutton? That's not editing or a typo, Roto. I guess he's a "lutton" for punishment. Har. Har har har. That is all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Lutton? That's not editing or a typo, Roto. I guess he's a "lutton" for punishment. Har. Har har har. That is all.

Good to know. You were right about Minshew, who is my backup in a 16-team league and pickins are slim. Choices would be Darnold, Kyle Allen and Geno Smith, who is backup to my starter Wilson. Jets and former Jet QBs on the waiver wire!

Leaning toward Allen, could go naked. 

On 10/30/2019 at 6:32 PM, RushHour said:

I like Foles a lot and think he is still very underrated but I'm not sure why anyone would assume that he'd play at a higher level or give the team a better chance to win than Minshew. If Foles is actually better than Minshew at this point, the difference would be marginal. I agree that they will probably go back to Foles (unless the Jags win this week) because this is the NFL, but I think it would be the wrong decision.

What? Foles now plays for the Bears

25 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Ridiculous

1 hour ago, Helaire-ious said:

What? Foles now plays for the Bears

Check the date on that post

• Thanks 1

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said Gardner Minshew (thumb) won't play in Week 9 against the Texans.

Sixth-round rookie Jake Luton will receive the "starter reps" in practice and likely get the official nod in place of Minshew by end of week. Marrone also said that he has "no idea" how long Minshew will be out and that there's "no guarantee" Minshew would start again even if he's able to return. It's the second year in a row the coaching staff has pinned the blame under center and run from all accountability elsewhere. The team's next nine games will at least lend the organization a developmental look at Luton, who averaged a pedestrian 7.6 YPA at Oregon State, before inevitably selecting a quarterback with a top-five selection in the 2021 draft.

RELATED: 

Jake Luton

SOURCE: Mark Long on Twitter

Nov 2, 2020, 2:15 PM ET