Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty: QB Gardner Minshew II, Jaguars - The Man, The Myth, The Legend

1 hour ago, Gandalf said:

Does this mean that Minshew is the guy in 2020?

That's what they are trying to find out.

• Like 2

Foles did not come out ready to play. Whether it was physical or mental, he looked totally lost and nothing like Minshew. Even when Minshew looked slightly overmatched, he at least completed some passes and extended some plays.

Foles's loss against the utterly hapless TB passing defense rivaled Sam Darnold's at NE and Baker Mayfield at SF for worst quarterbacking by a potentially bona fide starter in the NFL. But it was Tampa.

Edited by rockaction

Gardner Minshew completed 24-of-37 passes for 162 yards, one touchdown and zero interceptions in the Jaguars' 45-10, Week 14 loss to the Chargers.

Minshew added an additional 31 yards on six carries. He struggled to move the offense for most of the afternoon, although the team's lackluster run game didn’t help matters. Minshew appeared to perhaps check down a bit too often, as replays showed DJ Chark among others breaking free downfield on more than one occasion. Minshew led the offense to more than 20 points in four of his first eight starts, but the Jaguars have now gone five consecutive games without surpassing that threshold. It’s tough to fire him up as more than a mid-tier QB2 in Week 15 despite the prime matchup against the Raiders.

Dec 8, 2019, 7:23 PM ET

On 1/2/2020 at 3:02 PM, Faust said:

Minshew won the Pepsi Rookie of the Week award SEVEN times. Nobody else won it more than twice.  Pepsi has their Rookie of the Year award voting... and he's not even a finalist. Leading to tweets like this

@MagicMinshew: @Jaguars need to just pull a UCF and announce Gardner Minshew as the @pepsi Rookie of the Year. Hang the banners, have a parade. Do it.

@BigCatCountry: #Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew has won the coveted Big Cat Country Rookie of the Year Award for 2019! https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/1/8/21054668/gardner-minshew-rookie-of-the-year-award-2019?utm_campaign=bigcatcountry&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter https://twitter.com/BigCatCountry/status/1215255317149253632/photo/1

@MadeByTim: if the league won't recognize greatness, we just do it ourselves 

https://www.dtwdshop.com/product/rookie-of-the-year-preorder https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/1213928763509088258/photo/1

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

how is this not a reality show? And how much weed did he take? 2oz?

I’d watch it. 

2 minutes ago, zed2283 said:

That seems ridiculous.  In most years, Minshew's performance would be Rookie of the Year.

I read that and thought the same thing. Obviously doesn’t have the cannon arm you would like to see (oddly Manning, Brees, and Brady all lacked as well) but he has the ability to make plays with his feet and get into position to make big play throws. He seems like a worker bee and I am excited to see how far he progresses this year. Jacksonville seems to be going through a bit of a purging process on the defensive side which should lend to Gardner passing the ball even more.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

I read that and thought the same thing. Obviously doesn’t have the cannon arm you would like to see (oddly Manning, Brees, and Brady all lacked as well) but he has the ability to make plays with his feet and get into position to make big play throws. He seems like a worker bee and I am excited to see how far he progresses this year. Jacksonville seems to be going through a bit of a purging process on the defensive side which should lend to Gardner passing the ball even more.

It's purely draft capital bias IMO. If he was drafted in the first or second round and had the same rookie season no one would be doubting him. I'd say he was better as a rookie than Daniel Jones but no one in the media is saying the Giants should even think about other options at QB since he was a first round pick. Because Minshew was a day 3 pick and people didn't expect it, he can't really be good and you must replace him before he turns into a pumpkin. It's stupid thinking but that's how the NFL media works. 

(I also don't agree with the article than Jordan Love is undeniably more talented than Minshew. What nonsense).

Edited by RushHour
  • Like 3

NBC's Peter King reports the Jaguars are not expected to consider a quarterback at No. 9 overall and "want to give Gardner Minshew a real shot." 

King's report comes via a "friend" of GM Dave Caldwell's. Aside from trading Nick Foles to the Bears, the Jags have made zero waves in the quarterback free agent market and have indeed generated no draft rumors. Minshew had the looks of an above-average backup last season, but there is little in his film that suggested long-term starter. He does play with a moxie that can't be taught but unless it is accompanied by major strides in his game, the Jags will have one of the league's worst quarterback situations in 2020. 

SOURCE: NBC Sports 

Apr 14, 2020, 4:37 PM ET

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2020 at 2:52 PM, RushHour said:

“Little in his film that suggested long-term starter” 🙄

I LOVED reviewing Gardner's games this year. His movement in the pocket is some of the best in the league. Regularly went to his 2nd/3rd/4th reads. Guy plays wise beyond his years. Man I think the Jags would foolish not to give him at least 2020 to show he's the guy. How many years did they stick with Bortles again? 

I'd be REALLY interested to see the difference in "QB of future" mindset with him if he were a 1st round pick last year. I'm not going to predict what will happen in the future but based on the games he played as a rookie, I thought he undeniably DID have the look of an NFL starter.  

They've got a rare chance to have starting QB for peanuts for the next couple years. 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

I LOVED reviewing Gardner's games this year. His movement in the pocket is some of the best in the league. Regularly went to his 2nd/3rd/4th reads. Guy plays wise beyond his years. Man I think the Jags would foolish not to give him at least 2020 to show he's the guy. How many years did they stick with Bortles again? 

I'd be REALLY interested to see the difference in "QB of future" mindset with him if he were a 1st round pick last year. I'm not going to predict what will happen in the future but based on the games he played as a rookie, I thought he undeniably DID have the look of an NFL starter.  

They've got a rare chance to have starting QB for peanuts for the next couple years. 

Do you think his mind can overcome his noodle arm and that ownership?

3 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

I thought he looked like a starter too. Maybe he's not going to be a superstar level QB (although I wouldn't rule it out yet), but not every team needs that. At worst I feel like he'll be solid/average, but he might be more. You have to give him a chance to find out. 

This is the thing - you luck into a guy like this (who is also great from a fan and marketing perspective btw) - why would you even consider not giving him a real shot, just because he wasn't supposed to be this good and he doesn't have the pedigree/draft capital? I feel like it's mostly media who are acting like the Jags need to address QB though. Hopefully that's the case. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Same. I want the record to show I'm on board. I really liked what I saw last year. I think some people have some strange expectations for a rookie. 

• Like 1

I'm betting on Minshew taking a step forward in his development. The Jags improved the OL and Gruden is a solid offensive coordinator. It's why I have Chark ranked so much higher than anybody else. This time next year, barring injury, Chark will be in everybody top 10 WR rankings and Minshew will be a top 15ish QB. 

Minshew hit a wall last year but man he made some amazing plays last year. 

Jaguars OC Jay Gruden said QB Gardner Minshew has "got the intangibles you want in a quarterback."

Gruden added that Minshew, "Has shown a skillset where he can sit in a pocket, step up, make things happen outside the pocket. He’s accurate, he’s tough and obviously he’s a great leader." Minshew impressed as a rookie considering the circumstances of being thrust into the starting lineup halfway through the first quarter in Week 1 after Nick Foles suffered a broken clavicle. The 2019 sixth-round pick led the Jaguars to a 6-6 record in 12 starts, functioning as an above-average QB in adjusted yards per attempt (No. 13 among qualified QBs), QB rating under pressure (No. 10) and QB rating throwing deep (No. 1). The rushing floor might just be high enough here for Minshew to function as a solid late-round fantasy investment. Overall, only Lamar Jackson (1,206 rush yards), Kyler Murray (544), Josh Allen (510) and Deshaun Watson (413) had more yards on the ground than Minshew (344) last season.

SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter

May 28, 2020, 10:38 AM ET