What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Gardner Minshew II - LV (1 Viewer)

Foles did not come out ready to play. Whether it was physical or mental, he looked totally lost and nothing like Minshew. Even when Minshew looked slightly overmatched, he at least completed some passes and extended some plays.

Foles's loss against the utterly hapless TB passing defense rivaled Sam Darnold's at NE and Baker Mayfield at SF for worst quarterbacking by a potentially bona fide starter in the NFL. But it was Tampa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gardner Minshew completed 24-of-37 passes for 162 yards, one touchdown and zero interceptions in the Jaguars' 45-10, Week 14 loss to the Chargers.

Minshew added an additional 31 yards on six carries. He struggled to move the offense for most of the afternoon, although the team's lackluster run game didn’t help matters. Minshew appeared to perhaps check down a bit too often, as replays showed DJ Chark among others breaking free downfield on more than one occasion. Minshew led the offense to more than 20 points in four of his first eight starts, but the Jaguars have now gone five consecutive games without surpassing that threshold. It’s tough to fire him up as more than a mid-tier QB2 in Week 15 despite the prime matchup against the Raiders.

Dec 8, 2019, 7:23 PM ET

Minshew won the Pepsi Rookie of the Week award SEVEN times. Nobody else won it more than twice.  Pepsi has their Rookie of the Year award voting... and he's not even a finalist. Leading to tweets like this

@MagicMinshew: @Jaguars need to just pull a UCF and announce Gardner Minshew as the @pepsi Rookie of the Year. Hang the banners, have a parade. Do it.

@BigCatCountry: #Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew has won the coveted Big Cat Country Rookie of the Year Award for 2019! https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2020/1/8/21054668/gardner-minshew-rookie-of-the-year-award-2019?utm_campaign=bigcatcountry&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter https://twitter.com/BigCatCountry/status/1215255317149253632/photo/1

@MadeByTim: if the league won't recognize greatness, we just do it ourselves 

https://www.dtwdshop.com/product/rookie-of-the-year-preorder https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/1213928763509088258/photo/1

That seems ridiculous.  In most years, Minshew's performance would be Rookie of the Year.
I read that and thought the same thing. Obviously doesn’t have the cannon arm you would like to see (oddly Manning, Brees, and Brady all lacked as well) but he has the ability to make plays with his feet and get into position to make big play throws. He seems like a worker bee and I am excited to see how far he progresses this year. Jacksonville seems to be going through a bit of a purging process on the defensive side which should lend to Gardner passing the ball even more.

I read that and thought the same thing. Obviously doesn’t have the cannon arm you would like to see (oddly Manning, Brees, and Brady all lacked as well) but he has the ability to make plays with his feet and get into position to make big play throws. He seems like a worker bee and I am excited to see how far he progresses this year. Jacksonville seems to be going through a bit of a purging process on the defensive side which should lend to Gardner passing the ball even more.
It's purely draft capital bias IMO. If he was drafted in the first or second round and had the same rookie season no one would be doubting him. I'd say he was better as a rookie than Daniel Jones but no one in the media is saying the Giants should even think about other options at QB since he was a first round pick. Because Minshew was a day 3 pick and people didn't expect it, he can't really be good and you must replace him before he turns into a pumpkin. It's stupid thinking but that's how the NFL media works. 

(I also don't agree with the article than Jordan Love is undeniably more talented than Minshew. What nonsense).

NBC's Peter King reports the Jaguars are not expected to consider a quarterback at No. 9 overall and "want to give Gardner Minshew a real shot." 

King's report comes via a "friend" of GM Dave Caldwell's. Aside from trading Nick Foles to the Bears, the Jags have made zero waves in the quarterback free agent market and have indeed generated no draft rumors. Minshew had the looks of an above-average backup last season, but there is little in his film that suggested long-term starter. He does play with a moxie that can't be taught but unless it is accompanied by major strides in his game, the Jags will have one of the league's worst quarterback situations in 2020. 

SOURCE: NBC Sports 

Apr 14, 2020, 4:37 PM ET

“Little in his film that suggested long-term starter” 🙄
I LOVED reviewing Gardner's games this year. His movement in the pocket is some of the best in the league. Regularly went to his 2nd/3rd/4th reads. Guy plays wise beyond his years. Man I think the Jags would foolish not to give him at least 2020 to show he's the guy. How many years did they stick with Bortles again? 

I'd be REALLY interested to see the difference in "QB of future" mindset with him if he were a 1st round pick last year. I'm not going to predict what will happen in the future but based on the games he played as a rookie, I thought he undeniably DID have the look of an NFL starter.  

They've got a rare chance to have starting QB for peanuts for the next couple years. 

I LOVED reviewing Gardner's games this year. His movement in the pocket is some of the best in the league. Regularly went to his 2nd/3rd/4th reads. Guy plays wise beyond his years. Man I think the Jags would foolish not to give him at least 2020 to show he's the guy. How many years did they stick with Bortles again? 

I'd be REALLY interested to see the difference in "QB of future" mindset with him if he were a 1st round pick last year. I'm not going to predict what will happen in the future but based on the games he played as a rookie, I thought he undeniably DID have the look of an NFL starter.  

They've got a rare chance to have starting QB for peanuts for the next couple years. 
Do you think his mind can overcome his noodle arm and that ownership?

I thought he looked like a starter too. Maybe he's not going to be a superstar level QB (although I wouldn't rule it out yet), but not every team needs that. At worst I feel like he'll be solid/average, but he might be more. You have to give him a chance to find out. 

This is the thing - you luck into a guy like this (who is also great from a fan and marketing perspective btw) - why would you even consider not giving him a real shot, just because he wasn't supposed to be this good and he doesn't have the pedigree/draft capital? I feel like it's mostly media who are acting like the Jags need to address QB though. Hopefully that's the case. 

Same. I want the record to show I'm on board. I really liked what I saw last year. I think some people have some strange expectations for a rookie. 

I'm betting on Minshew taking a step forward in his development. The Jags improved the OL and Gruden is a solid offensive coordinator. It's why I have Chark ranked so much higher than anybody else. This time next year, barring injury, Chark will be in everybody top 10 WR rankings and Minshew will be a top 15ish QB. 

Minshew hit a wall last year but man he made some amazing plays last year. 

Jaguars OC Jay Gruden said QB Gardner Minshew has "got the intangibles you want in a quarterback."

Gruden added that Minshew, "Has shown a skillset where he can sit in a pocket, step up, make things happen outside the pocket. He’s accurate, he’s tough and obviously he’s a great leader." Minshew impressed as a rookie considering the circumstances of being thrust into the starting lineup halfway through the first quarter in Week 1 after Nick Foles suffered a broken clavicle. The 2019 sixth-round pick led the Jaguars to a 6-6 record in 12 starts, functioning as an above-average QB in adjusted yards per attempt (No. 13 among qualified QBs), QB rating under pressure (No. 10) and QB rating throwing deep (No. 1). The rushing floor might just be high enough here for Minshew to function as a solid late-round fantasy investment. Overall, only Lamar Jackson (1,206 rush yards), Kyler Murray (544), Josh Allen (510) and Deshaun Watson (413) had more yards on the ground than Minshew (344) last season.

SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter

May 28, 2020, 10:38 AM ET

Baker Mayfield will bounce back; plus, five most improved units

Excerpt:

GARDNER MINSHEW: Gruden taking right approach

If you want to help a young quarterback thrive early in his career, you need to build the playbook around his talents to help him flourish. 

That's why I'm excited to hear new Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Jay Gruden discuss the importance of crafting a relationship with Gardner Minshew and leaning on the young QB1's insights to build a master plan that helps him go from good to great in Year 2. 

"Well, it better mesh," Gruden said Tuesday via team transcript, referring to his relationship with Minshew and the Jags' QBs. "It's my job to make it mesh, you know, to take on the personality of the quarterback and get him to understand what we're trying to get accomplished on the play-to-play, game-to-game, week-to-week basis, it's going to be critical. I love Gardner's competitive spirit. You could see it shine through on tape when he was in college and obviously last year in the games he got to play. Now it's just a matter of him getting some general knowledge of our offense and me figuring out what he likes, what he doesn't like, what makes him tick and go from there. I'm pretty easy to get along with, I know he is too, so I think it will be a great relationship between the two of us."

Gruden's words shouldn't be taken lightly. Developing trust through communication is essential to building a strong bond between the play-caller and quarterback, which is a critical part of a successful offense. Gruden's acknowledgement signals the Jaguars' willingness to adopt a new-school approach (build around quarterback's talents) to quarterback development instead of utilizing the traditional method of forcing a young playmaker to master a complex system that isn't necessarily tailored to his game. 

In recent years, we've seen Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson and Kyler Murray flourish as youngsters in schemes that were specifically designed for their unique games. Although Minshew lacks the name recognition of his contemporaries, he flashed enough pizzazz and playmaking ability in 12 starts to earn the respect of his new offensive coordinator.

"He got drafted in the later rounds and came out, and playing in the National Football League is about taking advantage of your opportunities, and Gardner did that," Gruden said. "He's a shining reason why once the opportunity presents itself, you take advantage of it. He did that, and he's put himself in a great position to take the Jacksonville Jaguars and lead them into the future. He has shown a skillset where he can sit in a pocket, step up, make things happen outside the pocket. He's accurate, he's tough and obviously he's a great leader so he's got the intangibles you want in a quarterback. Now he's got to get to know the team, get to know the offense a little bit so we can all gel together."

Studying the tape from Minshew's rookie season, it is easy to see why the Jaguars' coaching staff is excited about his potential. He effectively toed the line between efficient and explosive while posting the highest passer rating (91.2) and fewest interceptions (6) of any rookie quarterback that started more than five games. He set franchise rookie records for passing yards (3,271) and touchdown passes (21) and guided the Jaguars to a 6-6 record in his starts. 

As a rhythm passer with a quick release, Minshew quickly worked through his progressions and consistently put the ball in the hands of the Jaguars' top playmakers. He is comfortable pushing the ball down the field to his vertical pass catchers (D.J. Chark, Chris Conley or Dede Westbrook) or dropping the ball off to his running back (Leonard Fournette) on swings and checkdowns. Minshew's complete command of the offense is uncommon for a rookie, but it enabled the Jaguars to have balanced distribution among their pass-catchers, with four players logging at least 47 receptions. 

No. 15's athleticism and improvisational playmaking ability also added a dimension to the Jaguars' offense. He rushed for 344 yards on a variety of impromptu runs, but it was his scramble tosses that helped the unit move the ball in key moments. Minshew's ability to evade, elude and avoid rushers while keeping his eyes on his targets helped the Jaguars generate big plays and score points. 

Most importantly, Minshew won games. And he did it running an offense that wasn't built specifically for him.

"I think the biggest thing for that position, and we said it last year, is the ability to win games," Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell said. "And Gardner's done that throughout his career, whether it was high school, whether it was at Washington State where he won 11 games the year he came out, and last year for us. He's got an ability to lead a team and win games. ... That's always going to be the No. 1 thing."

Given a chance to make his mark as a starter with a coordinator intent on building the offense around his game, Minshew could help the Jaguars chalk up more Ws and climb out of the AFC South cellar this season.

Previewing 2020: Quarterbacks

Position: Quarterback.

Projected starter: Gardner Minshew II.

Others: Mike Glennon, Josh Dobbs, Jake Luton.

2020 offseason additions: Glennon (unrestricted free agent, Oakland Raiders), Luton (sixth-round selection 2020 NFL Draft, Oregon State).

2020 offseason losses: Nick Foles (traded to Chicago Bears for fourth-round selection 2020 NFL Draft).

Offseason overview: Another offseason, another reset for the Jaguars at the league's most important position. The Jaguars, after transitioning last offseason from starting Blake Bortles to starting Nick Foles at the position, this offseason moved on from Foles after just one season with the organization. Foles started just four games for the Jaguars – all losses. When the Jaguars opted not to pursue a high-profile quarterback in free agency or select one early in the draft, that made it clear that Minshew – a sixth-round selection in the 2019 NFL Draft – will begin his second NFL season as the Jaguars' starting quarterback. The Jaguars following the draft signed Glennon, who has 22 career starts and who played two games as a reserve with Oakland last season; he appears likely to backup Minshew at the position.

Oehser analysis: This is yet another critical season for the Jaguars at this position, where the primary storyline essentially begins and end with Minshew. The Jaguars would like nothing better than for Minshew to have a monster year and emerge as the franchise quarterback they have been seeking for two decades. They very much believe he is capable of doing that. That's why they opted against drafting a quarterback early and it's why they forewent a premium quarterback in free agency. Minshew's performance as a rookie last season gave them hope. He went 6-6 as a starter, showing remarkable savvy and promising poise in pressure situations. He also exhibited promising touch on deep passes – and when he was good, he was as exciting and dynamic as any NFL rookie quarterback last season. He also played well late in the season after a few shaky performances – another indication that he has the poise to handle the most-pressurized position in sports. He absolutely earned the right to start this season, and those that are optimistic about his potential have valid reasons for that belief. Making Minshew's story fascinating is there are just as many valid reasons for not being sure he will fulfill that potential. He must improve pocket presence and decision-making, and he must avoid the extended periods of ineffectiveness that defined a large stretch of his time as a starter last season. He also must improve in the red zone. The Jaguars were absolutely right to give Minshew the opportunity to start in 2020. He earned it. Now, he must adapt to defenses game-planning against his tendencies better than he did as a rookie, and he must be more consistent. If he does that, the Jaguars might have their franchise guy. If he doesn't, they may be selecting a quarterback in Round 1 in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Sexton analysis: Is Minshew "the man" or isn't he? That's the question and we won't know for sure until the 2020 season is complete. We will know for sure at that point because the Jaguars will have to know before the 2021 NFL Draft. The Jaguars can't walk away from the added benefits afforded them via the Jalen Ramsey trade without identifying a franchise quarterback. Minshew has everything but the big arm; we'll see if new offensive coordinator Jay Gruden's scheme and Minshew's work since last season ended make a difference. There's a lot to like but when it comes to the guy around whom you're building, "like" isn't good enough; you have to love him. I could write words about Dobbs and Glennon – or offer a few thoughts on Luton, the big rookie from Washington State – but none of those guys have any bearing on the long term for this franchise. The opening question is the only question this season as far as I am concerned: Is Minshew the man? If the answer is yes, then the Jaguars are in a strong spot to rise in 2021.

Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew was removed from the team's COVID-19 list.

The team also took S Andrew Wingard off the list. Minshew is good to go after landing on the COVID-19 list last week. Entering his second year, Minshew is being drafted in the 14th round. He makes for a less-than-terrible QB2 or QB3 in superflex formats. 

SOURCE: Jacksonville Jaguars on Twitter 

Aug 4, 2020, 8:55 AM ET

Can't believe how underrated this guy is.

Solid QB2 with upside for more. Maybe that isn't worth a lot in many 1QB leagues, but there are plenty of leagues where that has value and people are treating him like he doesn't exist and will be replaced at the first opportunity. 

Users who are viewing this thread