Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jedi Knight

Post Week 1 Waiver Wire

Recommended Posts

So...who are we going after?  A couple that I have on my radar:

LB- Neville Hewitt- Mosely with a groin injury
LB- Cole Holcomb

S- Tracy Walker- 9 Tackles + INT
CB- Tre Flowers- 9 Tackles, 1 Assist + Fumble Recovery

Who's on your radar?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what is the story with Robertson-Harris? Haven't seen the snap counts yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Interested in him, too. Looked the part but no idea how much he actually played. DE designation MFL but 3-4 DE is always tough to really buy into due to consistency issues. 

Definitely Hewitt & Holcomb atop the LB want-list. Sharif Finch is one to check out. Bri has been calling him the 3DLB there for weeks so his snap count should be telling. His stats are solid, tho there's still the lower tackle concern as an OLB on base downs. 

Walker & Harris are likely available in most leagues at S but both are technically listed as FS. I don't know what type of schemes the Lions or Vikes use defensively, though. Not all SS / FS designations mean the same from team to team. 

CB... I don't do much point chasing there. They're too variable and matchup dependent for predicting sustained stats, especially early in the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

what is the story with Robertson-Harris? Haven't seen the snap counts yet.

I just saw on twitter that he was in on 42% of snaps.  I won't be of much help with DL as our league plays a team DL vs. individual DLs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

read that Blake Cashman replaced Mosely and played every down

 

edit - apparently Mosely says he is Ok and will play on Monday vs the Browns

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone to keep an eye on tonight is Nicholas Morrow.  I heard whispers at the end of camp that he's pushing for play time.

Josey Jewel could also be a target, but Todd Davis being out might skew his results.

Edited by Jedi Knight
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jenna Laine ESPN Staff Writer 

A source confirms that the Bucs are placing safety Justin Evans on IR but with the possibility that he can return to the active roster later in the season, as first reported by The Athletic. In order to do so, he'll have to sit out eight games. This wasn't a major surprise. Evans has suffered multiple setbacks with his feet and an Achilles injury.

 

If Jordan Whitehead is on your waiver wire...go get him.  7 Tackles and 1 Assist week 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jedi Knight said:

Jenna Laine ESPN Staff Writer 

A source confirms that the Bucs are placing safety Justin Evans on IR but with the possibility that he can return to the active roster later in the season, as first reported by The Athletic. In order to do so, he'll have to sit out eight games. This wasn't a major surprise. Evans has suffered multiple setbacks with his feet and an Achilles injury.

 

If Jordan Whitehead is on your waiver wire...go get him.  7 Tackles and 1 Assist week 1.

And the other safety was... Darian Stewart! Not Mike Edwards as expected. Very deep dive add.  Played in the box some too, but not as much as Whitehead.

Another deep-dive safety add is a guy playing mostly linebacker: Raven Greene of Green Bay.

Based on snap alignments, it looks like a lot of defensive backfields came out sitting back a bit, including teams that like to play a safety forward, like the Colts, 49ers, Bears, and Packers. Perhaps that evolves as DCs have 2019 tape with which to game plan.  I did, however, read over the summer that the 49ers would do more to disguise coverages with their safeties rather than have Jaquiski Tartt come forward so often.  Even so, I didn't expect an even split of box safety snaps between Tartt and Tarvarius Moore, of all people.  It seems the box safety is going the way of the fullback. I've begun to look for guys playing slot snaps as well for matchup-based starting line-up decisions.

Answering a previous question, yes, A Harris and T Walker are generally playing deeper while H Smith and Q Diggs move around more.  Walker did see some slot snaps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's easy to look at the top of the scoring list and cite Quinton Jefferson, so it bears a deeper look.  He played mostly right end, over the Bengals' third option at left tackle.  This is likely LJ Collier's role when he gets healthy.  In the meantime, Jefferson is classified at DT on MFL, Poona Ford is week to week with a calf injury, and Jarran Reed is still suspended.  Jefferson is capable of sliding inside as well.  I'd call Jefferson a priority in DT-required/premium leagues.  Enjoy his snaps while they last. 

Several somewhat surprising defensive lineman accrued 3/4 of their teams' snaps: Sam Hubbard (CIN), Trent Murphy (BUF), Markus Golden (NYG), Justin Houston (IND), and FIVE Falcons! (Golden is an LB on MFL but has DL eligibility elsewhere, like Sleeper.) Hubbard seems clearly ahead of Carl Lawson. Murphy and Golden produced before ACL injuries took their 2017 seasons and seemed to slow them in 2018.  With all the horses Indy has, I didn't expect Houston to command quite such a large share of snaps.

The Falcons are DTs Tyeler Davison and Grady Jarrett, DE Allen Bailey, and OLBs with DE-eligibility Vic Beasley and Takk McKinley.  It seems the change to 3-4 has sorted out the depth chart.  I think Vic and Takk make sense as 3-4 OLBs and will get better opportunities in games where the QB drops back to pass more than a dozen times. Davison, the nose tackle, might be the anomaly based on this game flow.   

And two guys that people in shallower leagues don't seem to realize are good: DT Denico Autry (IND) and Jerry Hughes (BUF).  Heck, people don't seem to realize the entire Bills' defense is good!  Autry is the only Colts' DI that can go toe-to-toe with Quentin Nelson, according to camp observers for two summers in a row.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My surprises at linebacker - guys that saw more than 80% of snaps: Damien Wilson (KC), Dre Greenlaw (SF), and Corey Nelson (DEN). Yes, people were on Wilson.  I had to see it to believe it.  Greenlaw came on after Kwon Alexander was ejected.  Worth an add in dynasty but also deeper redraft.  Kwon's best ability isn't availability.  Corey Nelson might have seen this workload because the Broncos played from behind all game.  He'll sit in favor of Todd Davis anyway, once he returns from injury.  

Producers and 80-100% snap guys that might be available in shallower leagues include Shaq Thompson.  Yes, it's really, finally happening this season!  The Chargers had two yesterday after having no reliable linebackers last year.  One is, of course, the guy impeding Shaq's path to playing time for all those years, Thomas Davis.  The other: Kyzir White, who might actually be good!  Denzel Perryman seems to be behind in his recovery from a season-ending injury in the middle of last season. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, JoeSteeler said:

what is the story with Robertson-Harris? Haven't seen the snap counts yet.

He's not even a player listed on our league site.

Was hoping to bid on him.  😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tripp said:

And the other safety was... Darian Stewart! Not Mike Edwards as expected. Very deep dive add.  Played in the box some too, but not as much as Whitehead.

Another deep-dive safety add is a guy playing mostly linebacker: Raven Greene of Green Bay.

Based on snap alignments, it looks like a lot of defensive backfields came out sitting back a bit, including teams that like to play a safety forward, like the Colts, 49ers, Bears, and Packers. Perhaps that evolves as DCs have 2019 tape with which to game plan.  I did, however, read over the summer that the 49ers would do more to disguise coverages with their safeties rather than have Jaquiski Tartt come forward so often.  Even so, I didn't expect an even split of box safety snaps between Tartt and Tarvarius Moore, of all people.  It seems the box safety is going the way of the fullback. I've begun to look for guys playing slot snaps as well for matchup-based starting line-up decisions.

Answering a previous question, yes, A Harris and T Walker are generally playing deeper while H Smith and Q Diggs move around more.  Walker did see some slot snaps.

I have to wonder if Raven Greene sees less snaps once Goodson gets up to speed in their system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warhogs said:

I have to wonder if Raven Greene sees less snaps once Goodson gets up to speed in their system?

I was thinking he was kind of a match up and/or scheme design somehow. Nagy likes to get cute in his playcalling so having Greene on the field gives them flexibility on the field. Mitch hasn't played enough - especially in game 1 after a preseason with really no snaps - to recognize and adjust at the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tripp said:

My surprises at linebacker - guys that saw more than 80% of snaps: Damien Wilson (KC), Dre Greenlaw (SF), and Corey Nelson (DEN). Yes, people were on Wilson.  I had to see it to believe it.  Greenlaw came on after Kwon Alexander was ejected.  Worth an add in dynasty but also deeper redraft.  Kwon's best ability isn't availability.  Corey Nelson might have seen this workload because the Broncos played from behind all game.  He'll sit in favor of Todd Davis anyway, once he returns from injury.  

Producers and 80-100% snap guys that might be available in shallower leagues include Shaq Thompson.  Yes, it's really, finally happening this season!  The Chargers had two yesterday after having no reliable linebackers last year.  One is, of course, the guy impeding Shaq's path to playing time for all those years, Thomas Davis.  The other: Kyzir White, who might actually be good!  Denzel Perryman seems to be behind in his recovery from a season-ending injury in the middle of last season. 

I'm actually looking at Tranquil for this very reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what’s up with Keanu Neal? Was he held out for much of the game, or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, G-King said:

Anyone know what’s up with Keanu Neal? Was he held out for much of the game, or what?

I have been trying to figure that out too. I’m guessing it was a scheme thing as the snap counts show he was in on 94% of the defensive plays in week 1.  Sure hated to see a one tackle line from a high DB pick like him though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, G-King said:

Anyone know what’s up with Keanu Neal? Was he held out for much of the game, or what?

 

4 hours ago, dnurk said:

I have been trying to figure that out too. I’m guessing it was a scheme thing as the snap counts show he was in on 94% of the defensive plays in week 1.  Sure hated to see a one tackle line from a high DB pick like him though. 

He played virtually the entire game and was flying around.  He had a big QB hit early and was called for a BS personal foul call on a hit on the sideling.  He was around the pile most of the game but just wasn't quite there.  He was in coverage on the TE for most pass plays but Cousins never really through the TE (and he only had 10 official passes). I think he will be fine.  It was just a really weird game the way it played out.  I am not worried yet.  There should be better days.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know how Mathieu looked? I was looking forward to him being the SS in KC, but didn't get much out of him week 1. Thornhill had himself a nice game at FS. Maybe he's the dude we need?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cole Holcomb not even listed in either set of projections this week, yet Harvey-Clemons and Dion-Hamilton both are.  Dude played almost 70% of the snaps last week and excelled with 8 tackles, yet nowhere to be seen in projections this week in a juicy matchup vs Cowboys (Zeke).  If he can push 70% of the snaps again, I expect another solid week by him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TheBottomLine said:

Cole Holcomb not even listed in either set of projections this week, yet Harvey-Clemons and Dion-Hamilton both are.  Dude played almost 70% of the snaps last week and excelled with 8 tackles, yet nowhere to be seen in projections this week in a juicy matchup vs Cowboys (Zeke).  If he can push 70% of the snaps again, I expect another solid week by him.  

I was wondering why I was able to get him in waivers despite being near the bottom of the priority order. :D

I think there was an injury to SDH that bumped Holcomb's PT and I have no idea if Holcomb's solid numbers where tackles made down field (so he'd grade poorly and cede starting time asap) but it seems like a guy everyone should want since we know WAS LB starts are up for grabs, anyway.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheBottomLine said:

Cole Holcomb not even listed in either set of projections this week, yet Harvey-Clemons and Dion-Hamilton both are.  Dude played almost 70% of the snaps last week and excelled with 8 tackles, yet nowhere to be seen in projections this week in a juicy matchup vs Cowboys (Zeke).  If he can push 70% of the snaps again, I expect another solid week by him.  

I'm a dum dum, was looking at week 1.  My apologies.  I'm seeing a PFF grade of 60, so not great but it could have been worse for a guy making his first career start and who was pretty much unheard of beforehand.  I added him back when Foster was released, so I had been keeping an eye on him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tarvarius Moore - starting FS for SF. Why would you care, you say? He's listed as a CB on FSharks, so CB in MFL. Getting FS production at your CB position is pretty reliable points, especially if those tackles count a bit heavier for CB. Go ahead and cheat a little. ;)

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=12985

Jimmy Ward could take the starting gig back but the article doesn't sound like it's a given.

Edited by Flying Elvis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, JoeSteeler said:

what is the story with Robertson-Harris? Haven't seen the snap counts yet.

His performance caught my attention. I'm aware of the snap count, but I'm cautiously optimistic that % goes up the next couple weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:20 AM, JoeSteeler said:

what is the story with Robertson-Harris? Haven't seen the snap counts yet.

 

9 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

His performance caught my attention. I'm aware of the snap count, but I'm cautiously optimistic that % goes up the next couple weeks.

26 snaps (41%)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Flying Elvis said:

Tarvarius Moore - starting FS for SF. Why would you care, you say? He's listed as a CB on FSharks, so CB in MFL. Getting FS production at your CB position is pretty reliable points, especially if those tackles count a bit heavier for CB. Go ahead and cheat a little. ;)

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=12985

Jimmy Ward could take the starting gig back but the article doesn't sound like it's a given.

i got that bit of news earlier as well and wondered if it would make it over here. it's a nice, for sure, and Shanahan seems down on Ward from comments made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 10:58 PM, TheBottomLine said:

I'm a dum dum, was looking at week 1.  My apologies.  I'm seeing a PFF grade of 60, so not great but it could have been worse for a guy making his first career start and who was pretty much unheard of beforehand.  I added him back when Foster was released, so I had been keeping an eye on him.  

Holcomb is incredible, a truly elite talent. If PFF is giving him 60 then I know not to take any notice of them.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 2:53 PM, Warhogs said:

I have to wonder if Raven Greene sees less snaps once Goodson gets up to speed in their system?

Certainly possible. Recall the pack traded for Antonio Morrison last summer, and nothing became of him in green Bay. The question for me is, can Oren Burks get right and on the field?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 2:53 PM, Warhogs said:

I have to wonder if Raven Greene sees less snaps once Goodson gets up to speed in their system?

solid call here, Warhogs.  Goodson got most of those snaps, and now Greene to IR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though Holcomb only registered 2 solos and 4 assists, he played 90% of the snaps in week 2.  Arrow still pointing up for him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is Siran Neal for BUF?  I see Poyer didn't score well and Neal did, is Poyer ceding snaps here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

Who is Siran Neal for BUF?  I see Poyer didn't score well and Neal did, is Poyer ceding snaps here?

He was pressed into duty with Johnson out at corner. He's mostly ST - and very good by all accounts - but isn't playing S here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Who is Siran Neal for BUF?  I see Poyer didn't score well and Neal did, is Poyer ceding snaps here?

Leaguemates picking him up left and right. Don't get it. He's a part-time player and a slot defender.  Here's what 10 seconds of research yields: https://www.buffalobills.com/news/top-3-things-we-learned-from-bills-at-giants-week-2

🤷

Edited by tripp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Khari Willis may be worth watching. Geathers losing snaps to Willis at SS in week 2. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've trying for weeks to pry away Willis (dynasty).  Didn't test well, but sure looks like the long term Geathers replacement in Indy.  Sure seems like Indy knows what attributes it wants to fit the scheme.  

Siran Neal was also slated for the big nickel package in BUF from my reading in the offseason as they talked at least of using that subpackage more.  I'm not sure on the excitement here either, but people have snatched up Raven Green and Javon Kearse in my league

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 8:26 AM, tripp said:

Certainly possible. Recall the pack traded for Antonio Morrison last summer, and nothing became of him in green Bay. The question for me is, can Oren Burks get right and on the field?

i saw on a blurb that he began light practices this week. he's probably 2 weeks out barring setback or Goodson playing ridiculously well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, saintfool said:

Khari Willis may be worth watching. Geathers losing snaps to Willis at SS in week 2. 

what you talkin' about?

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devin White looks to be out this week...Minter played 92% of the snaps and put up 4-5. Could be a nice short term add if you need help now

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second-year defensive lineman Bilal Nichols left Sunday’s victory against the Broncos in the first half. He appeared to injure his hand while taking on a block on a running play midway through the second quarter. He tried to continue playing but couldn’t use his hand effectively.

Coach Matt Nagy said Nichols’ availability Monday “doesn’t look good.” Beyond that, the Bears will examine whether he can play with a club-type cast on his hand, as Leonard Floyd did at the start of last season. It’s a hindrance because it would prevent Nichols from using his hand to grab against blocks and to tackle, but it would allow him to be on the field.

Nichols is the right defensive end in the base defense but usually yields to Roy Robertson-Harris in pass-rushing situations as part of the nickel package. Robertson-Harris took Nichols’ place in base against the Broncos.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-cb-chicago-bears-bilal-nichols-eddy-pineiro-20190919-ryylcwj2szeu3bhhyliyjm6eye-story.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert Quinn is back from suspension this week...Taco is gone and Tyrone Crawford is OUT so Quinn may have a big role if he can handle it

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys think about Mack Wilson now that Kirksey is on IR?

Also, any updates on Devin White?  He was dropped and was thinking about picking him up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know his time table but if you can afford a bench spot run and pick up White. Will be well worth the wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, agent orange said:

What do you guys think about Mack Wilson now that Kirksey is on IR?

Also, any updates on Devin White?  He was dropped and was thinking about picking him up.

Both worth a pickup but I wouldn't have super high hopes for either this season. I'd view them as LB3 type depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilson may be legit and he has at least 6 more opportunities before Kirksey can even be considered again. Given Kirksey's contract he's probably not long for the team and Wilson (and Takitaki) were drafted to replace him.

This may be permanent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Wilson may be legit and he has at least 6 more opportunities before Kirksey can even be considered again. Given Kirksey's contract he's probably not long for the team and Wilson (and Takitaki) were drafted to replace him.

This may be permanent. 

This! I had Avery as a stash last season but he certainly looks like he's been pushed down the depth chart. Schobert is in the final year of his rookie deal and we saw the massive contracts handed out to MLBs this offseason... doubt the Browns put that much money into LB. Kirksey's signed through 21 but he's at 8/9/10 million with solid talent behind him, making him a trade/cut risk.

The Browns D has been trending up for a few years. They are producing solid IDP options and worth the stash space. 

Edited by Flying Elvis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flying Elvis said:

This! I had Avery as a stash last season but he certainly looks like he's been pushed down the depth chart. Schobert is in the final year of his rookie deal and we saw the massive contracts handed out to MLBs this offseason... doubt the Browns put that much money into LB. Kirksey's signed through 21 but he's at 8/9/10 million with solid talent behind him, making him a trade/cut risk.

The Browns D has been trending up for a few years. They are producing solid IDP options and worth the stash space. 

Kirksey's cap number is 9.95 next year. He's only 2.4 in dead money if cut...only 1.2 if a post June 1 cut. He's toast.

I fear Schobert may go too, but I think it would be a bad thing for the team if he did. I don't feel the same about Kirksey. He's not bad, he's just not worth that cash compared to the alternatives. Dorsey's moves in the draft this season said what would be happening to him - it's just a matter of when.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BigAl21 said:

Don’t know his time table but if you can afford a bench spot run and pick up White. Will be well worth the wait.

Only thing i would say is that you may already have missed the boat on this one in dynasty...i picked him up week 3 in one of my leagues and missed him in all the rest :kicksrock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 8:25 AM, saintfool said:

Khari Willis may be worth watching. Geathers losing snaps to Willis at SS in week 2. 

Willis moving over to Malik Hooker's spot while he's out. Geathers will stay at SS while Hooker is out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.