What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Owner tanking week one to obtain #1 waiver pick (1 Viewer)

Manster

Footballguy
Yahoo, 12 team league with a bit of money involved. H2H. Waivers, worst to first.  This owner says he saw he wasn't going to win this week so he deactivated like 3 roster spots before their games to ensure that he gets the lowest score for the week, and hence the #1 waiver pick.  There is no rule currently in place that specifically addresses this......several owners are pretty pissed.  I'm on the fence, on one hand, I believe you should always field a full team.  On the other hand, first tie breaker for playoffs is total points.  So this owner may screw themselves in the long run.

As an aside, I hate this waiver system.  For reasons like this, and I think each owner should have equal chance to each player...... I much prefer blind bidding.

What do y'all think?  

Pretty easy solution here, don’t play with this type of a waiver system. It is easily the worst system out there in my opinion.

But if that’s the system, nothing wrong with tanking. If it’s within the rules, someone will and should take advantage

Blind bidding is the way to go. Tanking for points when points is the tiebreaker is pretty self-defeating in that case unless there's a clear number one waiver guy out there. I mean, I know points is a tiebreaker in one of my leagues, and I play for points therefore. Who is available in your league that he would tank for. Brown? Chark? Bernard? Jones?

I mean, I can't see giving up those points to obtain priority. 

You said it in your post, there is currently no rule against it.  So there is nothing you can do about it now.  I personally can't stand weasels in my leagues, but you're going to get them.  So razz the guy and bit and maybe question his manhood in front of his wife a little, but then let it go and move on.  That being said, the only fair way to do waivers is to give everyone a FAB budget and bid every week until their money runs out.  

If you don't have an official rule that addresses this situation, you should not do anything.

Most of the leagues that I have played in have awarded bonus money for Total Points at the end of the season, so it tends to de-incentivize weekly tanking.

BTW, it's really dumb to award players based solely on the outcome of one game -- especially when that one game (week 1) tends to have the best available players.

FAAB.  Obviously, that doesn't help now.  An owner should be able to do anything within the rules to put his team in the best situation possible.  The rules need to be changed if you don't like it.  No different than someone benching a defense to protect a lead going in to MNF,  just a different motivation.

Week 1 waivers should be based on reverse order of the draft. Current record should never enter into it. The team that had the #12 draft pick should have the #1 waiver priority and so on and so on. Once someone uses their claim, they go back to #12. This isn't complicated. And yes, FAAB is a way better system.

You said it in your post, there is currently no rule against it.  So there is nothing you can do about it now.  I personally can't stand weasels in my leagues, but you're going to get them.  So razz the guy and bit and maybe question his manhood in front of his wife a little, but then let it go and move on.  That being said, the only fair way to do waivers is to give everyone a FAB budget and bid every week until their money runs out.  
There's such a thing as unwritten rules.

Give him the last pick in waivers and a warning. If he does it again you boot him.

Thanks for the input.

I agree that there should be a rule in place.  I also agree that blind bidding is the way to go.  Not sure this league would go that route.  The reverse order of draft for first weeks waivers makes sense to me, especially since we do a straight snake, where u kinda start off at a disadvantage having a late draft pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input.

I agree that there should be a rule in place.  I also agree that blind bidding is the way to go.  Not sure this league would go that route.  The reverse order of draft for first weeks waivers makes sense to me, especially since we do a straight snake, where u kinda start off at a disadvantage having a late draft pick.
also consider enacting an "invalid roster penalty" rule for next season. Owners must start active players (not Out/IR or on a Bye week). Helps a bit in keeping teams fighting til the end.

Give him the last pick in waivers and a warning. If he does it again you boot him.
There are unwritten rules in fun, not in competition. We are all playing a game here but it is often for money and pride. There are things that explicitly forbidden and things that aren’t. It’s black and white.

Leagues with unwritten rules are generally leagues with poorly drafted rules. Petition to add changes to the rules or leave the league. Penalization for unwritten rules is horse ####

voiceofunreason said:

Are there NO rules that pertain to conduct? Nothing about "league integrity?  

If there is ANYTHING that could be applicable, I personally use it. I know will disagree with me.  I, in turn, am free to disagree with them. 

To me best case solution would be to reinsert the 3 players he had sat and so he ends up with the points he would have had.

If there are no rules, pat him on the back and congratulate him on his sliminess.

In both cases there are some league votes that need to be held ro implemement next season. Now while several owners are still annoyed would be the best time to have the voting.

Personally if votes didn't fall where I preferred, I leave the league after the season because I don't appreciate such moves and wouldn't enjoy playing with rules that allow that or with anyone that would take advantage of a situation like this knowing that I never would.

Anarchy99 said:
Week 1 waivers should be based on reverse order of the draft. Current record should never enter into it. The team that had the #12 draft pick should have the #1 waiver priority and so on and so on. Once someone uses their claim, they go back to #12. This isn't complicated. And yes, FAAB is a way better system.
Agreed all the way around. 

Amazes me how many money leagues have rinky dink rules like this. 

I had a guy fail to put in a lineup at all because he figures he can't compete for a title with his players. Funny thing is, waivers are blind bid, non playoff team draft slots are by potential points (not record), and there's a weekly prize for high score. There is quite literally ZERO reason to tank. To make it even better, fool woulda won this week and is really only one decent QB from being competitive with Hopkins and Kamara as centerpieces.

I never put in an anti-tanking rule simply because the ruleset provides no benefit to tanking

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a guy fail to put in a lineup at all because he figures he can't compete for a title with his players. Funny thing is, waivers are blind bid, non playoff team draft slots are by potential points (not record), and there's a weekly prize for high score. There is quite literally ZERO reason to tank. To make it even better, fool woulda won this week and is really only one decent QB from being competitive with Hopkins and Kamara as centerpieces.
Nothing wrong with dead money. 🐟

Users who are viewing this thread