What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NE to go Undefeated (1 Viewer)

wgoldsph

Footballguy
The only thing Brady and Bill haven't done in their careers is go undefeated, with the giants improbable win stealing that from them.  But what if this is the year?  The Pats have a solid d, a great o line and studs at their skill positions.

What better way for the two best to go out than to utterly dominate the field?

The only thing Brady and Bill haven't done in their careers is go undefeated, with the giants improbable win stealing that from them.  But what if this is the year?  The Pats have a solid d, a great o line and studs at their skill positions.

I can see that happening from one 84 Moss to another, maybe this time they get it done... They play 4 tough teams that have a possibility of winning... Baltimore, K.C, Philly, Texans but honestly I don't see anyone beating N.E on a good day...... Winning 19 in a row is tough but this team is built to do that. 

Don’t change your shorts until they lose then we can talk

They have a tough 5-game stretch in the middle of the season: @BAL, @PHI, DAL, @HOU, KC.

They could easily lose 2 of those games.

I feel like they usually lose one or more fluky games every year. They lost to the Titans and Dolphins last year. They probably lose to the Browns or Bengals and then lose to two legitimate teams like the Cowboys or Texans

IF:

AB falls in line

Key players stay healthy

Gronk returns and is pro bowl Gronk

Then they have a chance for sure. 

Achievable milestones - Brady

Most career passing yards - he's within 1100 of manning but he trails brees by over 3000. 

Most career passing touchdowns - again, he'll likely pass manning this year, but he is two back of Brees.  

Single season touchdown record - he's currently second, but might be able to make one more run at it. So many things need to go right but it's not totally impossible if brown plays like brown

Brees has the lead and is younger, but the one thing in his favor is that brees doesn't want to retire the same year Brady does, and Brady is putting the pressure on with this tb12, play to 45 stuff. It would be tough for either of them to walk away so close to the all time records, but if Brees retired holding the records... maybe.  

Team accomplishments -

Superbowl 7 - if they win another superbowl, brady and belichick would have more than any other franchise, player or coach.  Right now they're just tied for the lead with 6.

Undefeated season - it would be nice, but not as important as a superbowl

Three superbowls in three years.  They've done 3 in 4, 3 in 5 and 3 afc championships in a row, but 3 consecutive would be enough to go out on top imo. 

They have a tough 5-game stretch in the middle of the season: @BAL, @PHI, DAL, @HOU, KC.

They could easily lose 2 of those games.
Karma won't allow it. How many Superbowls did Moss win?

Pats will dominate the regular season, but one of the Ravens, Chiefs, Cowboys or Eagles will put them in their place when it counts.

Whose alias is this?  Are you a Jets fan or an Eagles fan?

As both a NE fan and critic, I had this version of NE going 14-2 before the AB signing and before the drubbing of the Steelers. IMO, this is their best overall team since 2007 and their best defensive unit since 2004. This team is deep and stacked. I don't think they will go undefeated if only because BB doesn't want the team going undefeated. Bill will happily take a loss to illustrate to his team that they can be beaten and not have to deal with the questions about going undefeated week after week. 

Their defense is for real. In a phone interview yesterday, Brady mentioned that he thought the offense would struggle this year because he really couldn't get the offense in sync all training camp. Initially he thought it was the offense. Then he scrimmaged with several teams and played a few series in the preseason and came away saying it wasn't the offense that was struggling . . . it's that the NE defense is really, really good.

BB has built one of the best secondaries in the league. Their LB corps is much better than the past couple of seasons. And they have enough options on the defensive line to be disruptive and get some pressure on the QB. They have the ability to dial up cover zero and stampede the QB. In their last 2 games, they held the Rams and Steelers, two of the most prolific passing attacks in the league, to 3 points.

This team should be able to score in the 30's consistently and the defense will have plenty of games where they don't give up in the teens for points allowed. Like the PIT game, they will probably give up chunk yards and garbage time points but for the first 3 quarters they will be very hard to move the ball against.

I am not sure if AB helps or hurts the team. Initially, I think it will hurt the offense but later in the season, if they can get the kinks out, it will make a great offense that much better. As we all know, injuries happen. Suspensions happen. Players going crazy on social media happen. It's a long season. But NE should again by the class of the league. I felt this team was going back-to-back this year (but people will say that is just blind homerism). Not sure that's true, as I didn't think last year's team was that great and at no point did I feel they would win again last year.

2nd easiest schedule with only a handful of competitive opponents. Very good chance and there is no doubt they are shooting for it.

Dont discount Anarchy's earlier point...BB will happily take a loss to humble the team.  18-1 still wears on him.
I don’t think BB would intentionally try to lose a game, but I think he would put them in a situation not likely to succeed 

Foe example, I can see NE needing a score to take the lead or tie late in the game and having it 3rd and 2 and then running the ball twice up the middle. If they make it great, if not he would say they needed to execute and that’s on the players. He would gladly take a loss like that to motivate the team. 

I don’t think BB would intentionally try to lose a game, but I think he would put them in a situation not likely to succeed 

Foe example, I can see NE needing a score to take the lead or tie late in the game and having it 3rd and 2 and then running the ball twice up the middle. If they make it great, if not he would say they needed to execute and that’s on the players. He would gladly take a loss like that to motivate the team. 
Aren't these the same things?  I know you gave an example, but doing that if Bill thinks he has a better shot to win the game by passing, is intentionally losing.  I really don't think Bill is going to call a play that he thinks has LESS of a chance of working.

Aren't these the same things?  I know you gave an example, but doing that if Bill thinks he has a better shot to win the game by passing, is intentionally losing.  I really don't think Bill is going to call a play that he thinks has LESS of a chance of working.
The point being, he would be calling a play that COULD work although it may not be the best call. I used this as an example because this scenario has played out this way before (not the undefeated part) and BB said the offense needed to get the yard and a half and they will need to do that in January.

Always a possibility when you are automatically given 6 easy wins every year.
This gets so overblown. NE has gone 6-0 in their division twice since 2001. But I am sure they would be happy to take 6 gift wins if you waive your magic wand. They usually split with MIA and if not they would normally lose once to either NYJ or BUF. Yes. playing in the AFC East helps them. But IMO that's overblown. Their record outside of their division is the same or better than their record against AFC East foes. Put another way, if they were in another division, teams in that division would have had a lot more loses and then people would say that got a gift 6 wins in that other division instead. If they were in the AFC South, there could have been YEARS they played in a row without a divisional loss.

I disagree.  It seems to me that BB is always trying to win, including having his superstars on the field to finish blowout wins.  Isn't he one of the coaches who has said that he doesn't see any value or lesson in losing a game?

I disagree.  It seems to me that BB is always trying to win, including having his superstars on the field to finish blowout wins.  Isn't he one of the coaches who has said that he doesn't see any value or lesson in losing a game?
BB cares about winning in January . . . September and October not so much. He specifically does not like his players to believe the hype and the press. I guarantee after beating the pants off of PIT that he will be all over his team for not running the ball, having some penalties that killed drives, giving up some big passing plays, and taking some plays off in the second half.

BB is the Jedi Master in mind games and mental toughness. I believe he wants his team to win but I think he doesn't like it when things work too easily. Players will get complacent and the team won't buy in to what he is telling them.

Again, I am not suggesting that he would throw a game. I am saying he would intentionally make a call that would make his team have to do something and make it extra difficult to win an individual game early in the season. Another example would be that if there is a play he doesn't think they are running well, he will keep calling it to get them to run it right, even if that might mess with a particular drive in any individual game.

Essentially, he cares about earning a bye and winning three playoff games. I truly believe he doesn't actually care what their record ends up being as long as they are playing their best at the end of the season.

NE undefeated.

Brady breaks all sorts of QB records.

3 1000yd receivers.

Win the SB.

Retires.
Since you brought it up, five other teams have had three players with 1,000+ receiving yards in a season:

1980 Chargers - Kellen Winslow (1,290), John Jefferson(1,340), and Charlie Joiner (1,132)
1989 Redskins - Art Monk (1,186), Ricky Sanders (1,138), Gary Clark (1,229)
1995 Falcons - Eric Metcalf (1,189), Terance Mathis (1,039), Bert Emanuel (1,039)
2004 Colts - Marvin Harrison (1,113), Reggie Wayne (1,210), and Brandon Stokeley (1,077)
2008 Cardinals - Larry Fitzgerald (1,431), Anquan Boldin (1,038), and Steve Breaston (1,006)

Could Brady have 4 1000yd receivers?

AB, Gordon, Edelman, White.

Honestly, wouldnt bet against it. Don't care if it's (probably) never been done.

I think we might be over-looking the fact that there was zero (0) threat from the Patriots opponent on Sunday night.

As a Steelers fan, I'm glad it was the Patriot that undressed them in week 1... could easily have been the Lions, Giants, or any other also-ran IMO.

BB cares about winning in January . . . September and October not so much. He specifically does not like his players to believe the hype and the press. I guarantee after beating the pants off of PIT that he will be all over his team for not running the ball, having some penalties that killed drives, giving up some big passing plays, and taking some plays off in the second half.

BB is the Jedi Master in mind games and mental toughness. I believe he wants his team to win but I think he doesn't like it when things work too easily. Players will get complacent and the team won't buy in to what he is telling them.

Again, I am not suggesting that he would throw a game. I am saying he would intentionally make a call that would make his team have to do something and make it extra difficult to win an individual game early in the season. Another example would be that if there is a play he doesn't think they are running well, he will keep calling it to get them to run it right, even if that might mess with a particular drive in any individual game.

Essentially, he cares about earning a bye and winning three playoff games. I truly believe he doesn't actually care what their record ends up being as long as they are playing their best at the end of the season.
Man, I don't know. This team has something special brewing, and I think they all know this.

I can see them just blowing the hell out of people. Heck, I believe they got Brown to give them another way to crush the Chiefs and stay ahead of our offense. Because as I see it, these are the two best offenses in the NFL.

The Patriots are not losing this year unless something major happens to Brady or Belichick dies while cutting the sleeves off his hoodies.

Could Brady have 4 1000yd receivers?

AB, Gordon, Edelman, White.

Honestly, wouldnt bet against it. Don't care if it's (probably) never been done.
Never been done and not going to happen. There's only one football, and if NE has the offense that you think they have to go with the defense they have, there is no reason for them to be putting the ball in the air that much. I still think this is a running team now with good receivers. By that I mean, to conserve Brady they will have a 50/50 run/pass ratio (or even more running plays if they are ahead). White had 87 receptions last season . . . and fell 249 yards short of 1,000.

Man, I don't know. This team has something special brewing, and I think they all know this.

I can see them just blowing the hell out of people. Heck, I believe they got Brown to give them another way to crush the Chiefs and stay ahead of our offense. Because as I see it, these are the two best offenses in the NFL.

The Patriots are not losing this year unless something major happens to Brady or Belichick dies while cutting the sleeves off his hoodies.
It's a long season. They will have games where they are off and get a better effort from their opponent.

LOL. My Yahoo Sports app just pinged me asking if the Patriots could go undefeated this year with Antonio Brown.

Using ESPN's Football Power Index calculations, here are NE's chances to win their remaining games . . .

MIA 85.7%
NYJ 82.0%
BUF 71.6%
WAS 73.7%
NYG 87.2%
NYJ 72.4%
CLE 80.4%
BAL 42.4%
PHI 54.2%
DAL 72.3%
HOU 50.5%
KCC 58.2%
CIN 73.5%
BUF 83.3%
MIA 94.8%

If my math is right, they give NE a 0.53% chance to go 16-0. 

For those that prefer 538's algorithms, here their chances for NE to win their remaining games . . .

MIA 81%
NYJ 83%
BUF 68%
WAS 74%
NYG 85%
NYJ 73%
CLE 80%
BAL 52%
PHI 51%
DAL 71%
HOU 61%
KCC 61%
CIN 75%
BUF 80%
MIA 90%

Again, if my math is right, they give NE a 0.64% chance to go 16-0. 

It's possible but I doubt they go undefeated. Always opportunities for things to go Murphy's way. I still wouldn't bet against it though. 

The year they were undefeated in the regular season, there were a couple of games they should have lost, were it not for a couple of teams imploding at crucial moments. One I recall was the game v the Ravens with an unfortunate time out, flag thrown into the crowd etc.

Be funny as hell if they lose to miami this weekend 
The Patriots with Brady are 7-10 playing in Miami, so it would not be shocking. The Patriots don't do well in heat and humidity and have a tendency to get tired and make dumb mistakes. It's not like they can simulate playing in Florida all that well. I suppose they could try practicing indoors with the heat cranked all the way up.

Last week I thought Vegas was way off on the line for the PIT game. The Steelers were spanked every other time they faced Brady in NE. I think this line again ignores the history of the teams. NE being favored by 19 points seems exceedingly high. IMO, a late garbage time TD for the Fins could get them under the number.

The Patriots with Brady are 7-10 playing in Miami, so it would not be shocking. The Patriots don't do well in heat and humidity and have a tendency to get tired and make dumb mistakes. It's not like they can simulate playing in Florida all that well. I suppose they could try practicing indoors with the heat cranked all the way up.

Last week I thought Vegas was way off on the line for the PIT game. The Steelers were spanked every other time they faced Brady in NE. I think this line again ignores the history of the teams. NE being favored by 19 points seems exceedingly high. IMO, a late garbage time TD for the Fins could get them under the number.
i am aware. thats partially why i posted that.  this Miami team is garbage and pats should win easily but anything is possible

I feel like they usually lose one or more fluky games every year. They lost to the Titans and Dolphins last year. They probably lose to the Browns or Bengals and then lose to two legitimate teams like the Cowboys or Texans
don't forget the Bum Lions... True, undefeated is tough obviously but 14-2, 15-1 can be done easily... Undefeated is possible, just unlikely but they do have a stacked team, no denying that. 

don't forget the Bum Lions... True, undefeated is tough obviously but 14-2, 15-1 can be done easily... Undefeated is possible, just unlikely but they do have a stacked team, no denying that. 
They went 18-1 and would have been 19-0 if not for the Giants in the Super Bowl.  I think this team is better than that team.

Since 2001, the Patriots have gone undefeated at home in the regular season in 2003, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2018. Their only playoff loss in those years came in the 2010 season. They are more apt to lose a game on the road (not that is telling people anything new). They play at MIA, BUF, WAS, NYJ, BAL, PHI, HOU, and CIN.

Users who are viewing this thread