What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Article: Majority of Voters in Both Parties are Religious, Study Finds (1 Viewer)

As for the big quote in the middle of the article...why was this even on a "news" station? Seems like it should have been on a Christian channel or something like that. It strikes me as very weird.

Here's the quote for those that didn't open the article:

They are a godless party, Lou, and becoming more so. You remember back in 2012, when they had an argument on national television at their convention about removing God from their platform? Then, in 2016, at their convention, they had a pastor up there praying, and he gets heckled, and now, even this weekend, the Democrat Party passes a resolution saying ‘we enthusiastically support the values of the religiously unaffiliated in America.’ ‘Religiously unaffiliated’ is code for godless! They are truly becoming a godless party by their outreach, and certainly by their beliefs.

What does religious mean? Belief in God? In the tenets of a specific religion? Go to church or synagogue regularly? 

I hate that religion has been politicized. And its a two-way street (religion <-> GOP). Just another way for the right to stir up hatred towards the left.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate that religion has been politicized. And its a two-way street (religion <-> GOP). Just another way for the right to stir up hatred towards the left.
As opposed to using racial issues to stir up hate.  If someone on the right said what you did it would have 8 reports and a mod coming in.  

As opposed to using racial issues to stir up hate.  If someone on the right said what you did it would have 8 reports and a mod coming in.  
Politics and religion need a solid wall between the two. No one should care if the majority of atheists are Democrats. Calling us "godless" is just stirring up hate. Yes, I'm "religiously unaffiliated" and proudly godless - that shouldn't frighten anyone nor should it be anyone's concerns. And yes, I view it as a positive that Democrats chose to remove "god" from their platform. As it should be.

I'm interested in thoughts on the word "secular".  I used to think virtually all Americans would have a positive connotation with the word since separation of church and state is an important concept of our government.  Even deeply religious folks should be able to respect the idea because, at a minimum, it can keep government out of their religion.  Supporting secularism in our government while being religious shouldn't be a contradiction.

However, I don't think this is true any more.  It seems like the term secular is a pejorative to a large part of the country.  Even the article Joe posted links "secular" and "godless" in the last paragraph.  

Politics and religion need a solid wall between the two. No one should care if the majority of atheists are Democrats. Calling us "godless" is just stirring up hate. Yes, I'm "religiously unaffiliated" and proudly godless - that shouldn't frighten anyone nor should it be anyone's concerns. And yes, I view it as a positive that Democrats chose to remove "god" from their platform. As it should be.
Believers frighten me more than non-believers do. 

"They are a godless party, Lou, and becoming more so. You remember back in 2012, when they had an argument on national television at their convention about removing God from their platform? Then, in 2016, at their convention, they had a pastor up there praying, and he gets heckled, and now, even this weekend, the Democrat Party passes a resolution saying ‘we enthusiastically support the values of the religiously unaffiliated in America.’ ‘Religiously unaffiliated’ is code for godless! They are truly becoming a godless party by their outreach, and certainly by their beliefs."

This critique was echoed by the likes of Vice President Mike Pence, who told Liberty University students to beware the “secular left” and Texas Congressman Dan Crenshaw, who joked about telling leftists “normal law-abiding Americans” “read the Bible.”

None of that should have a place in politics. And the only reason Pence says to beware of the secular left is to stir up fear and dislike for atheists. Religious freedom extends to atheists. We are not to be "feared".

I don't think the poll results are surprising. It would be interesting, however, to see how those numbers have changed in past 10, 15, 20 years.

But it is a couple guys on TV.  No different than the hate stirred up on MSNBC on a daily basis.  You want to get on your high horse because the hate is from a god-based religion instead of humanism.  No real difference.  Hate is hate. 

I render unto Caesar those things which are Caesar's and to God those things which are his.  Mathew I think. Anyhow, since I do not believe in God the second part of that formulation is easy for me. 

I do understand that for bible believers there is a strong belief that governments have been instituted by God and derive their power from his acquiescence, I suppose would be the word.

Me, I see no reason that religious leaders should not encourage their flocks to electoral participation anymore or less than other leaders.  Sadly I do believe that most leaders should not be in leadership positions, religious or otherwise and I also believe that if followers can be defined s a flock that we have some problems as individuals in flocks tend to not be deep or independent thinkers.

i met an interesting couple a few weeks back.  husband was a moderate republican atheist.  wife was a fundamentalist evangelical Christian and one of the most liberal people i've ever met.  married 30 years.  that was a new one.

But it is a couple guys on TV.  No different than the hate stirred up on MSNBC on a daily basis.  You want to get on your high horse because the hate is from a god-based religion instead of humanism.  No real difference.  Hate is hate. 
It wasn't a couple of guys on TV - our current GOP VP said to "beware of the secular left". Beware.

I don't think the poll results are surprising. It would be interesting, however, to see how those numbers have changed in past 10, 15, 20 years.
Agree and I'd be interested to see the trend, too.

FWIW, the article Joe linked references a WaPo article that references data from Pew Research Center, and Pew's interactive presentation and analysis is probably more informative than anybody else's take on it. Here it is.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/party-affiliation/

Agree and I'd be interested to see the trend, too.

FWIW, the article Joe linked references a WaPo article that references data from Pew Research Center, and Pew's interactive presentation and analysis is probably more informative than anybody else's take on it. Here it is.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/party-affiliation/
Something particularly fascinating from that - its really only evangelicals and mormons that heavily lean Republican.

Mainline protestants are close (44-40 GOP lean). 

All other religious groups favor Dems over GOP. Though some have unaffiliated as the largest group.

That's interesting.

The same people who make this argument (Democrats are godless) also argue that Democrats are unpatriotic. To be fair, however, many Democrats argue that Republicans are racist, sexist, homophobic, and basically against anyone who is not a white Christian male. 

And both parties have labeled the other party as “the party of hate.” 

What does religious mean? Belief in God? In the tenets of a specific religion? Go to church or synagogue regularly? 
Good and difficult questions.  I would say that, at heart, being religious is a belief in a power/force greater than ourselves ..belief in a creator ...belief in God.  Ideally, or at least theoretically, believers find joy in their belief and choose to share that with a like-minded community via a church or synagogue.  They find a community where they can share in their joys and their sorrows; where they can be uplifted and renewed.  

That said, I understand the concept of being "religiously unaffiliated."  I can understand why some choose to live by the Golden Rule while staying away from organized religion.  (Though I find that sad.  How will the next generation learn without being involved and partaking in the rituals, ceremonies, and activities?)  On the flip side, I see a lot of people regularly attending church and professing to be strong in their faith but not living it out.  I'm baffled by the evangelical right and their support for Trump.

I do fear that the further we drift from organized religion, the more difficult it will ever be to reclaim it.  And I'm not sure where that will leave us in the years to come.

As to tenets, I grew up in the Christian Reformed Church (Dutch-affiliated), and the church had a strong focus on specific tenets.  (A mock article focused on "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?")  When I later joined the Presbyterian Church after moving to Chicago, I was surprised to learn that this church did not go that deep with the details.  That's OK, but I am saddened to see the lack of Bible knowledge and history in the church where I'm at.  Does it matter?  Hard to say.

Newsflash: Highly religious country finds out that the demographics of voters is highly religious.  Explains why we're so screwed up tho.  If anything the numbers show that atheists as a group turn out more than religious people do.*

ETA: * By quite a bit actually.

That said, I understand the concept of being "religiously unaffiliated."  I can understand why some choose to live by the Golden Rule while staying away from organized religion.  (Though I find that sad.  How will the next generation learn without being involved and partaking in the rituals, ceremonies, and activities?) 
Although my wife and I were both raised with some degree of religion, we no longer participate in organized religion of any kind and I've gone full science-based. We allowed our kids to make their own decisions. Our daughter was curious about religion (around the age of 12) and wanted to attend a nearby church with some of my family members. She went most weeks, was active in the youth group and was even confirmed - all on her own. But as she became older, she came to her own realization that people didn't act or live what they were taught in church. She made her own decision to leave and that she didn't need religion in her life to be a good person. My wife and I fully supported and encourage both her decision to join the church, and later to leave. But it was all her decisions. Teens and young adults do not need to be indoctrinated.

Our son was never interested.

Newsflash: Highly religious country finds out that the demographics of voters is highly religious.  Explains why we're so screwed up tho.  If anything the numbers show that atheists as a group turn out more than religious people do.*

ETA: * By quite a bit actually.
For clarification, does "turn out" here mean "turn out to vote"?

Yes, fear the secular left. Like I'm someone who should be feared for my religious belief. Stir up fear and distrust of the secular left.
Feared for your non-religious beliefs is what he meant.  At least that's my understanding of how people use "secular". 

ETA:  Probably better said: "your beliefs that aren't founded in religion".

It's not surprising at all.  With 75-80% of the US population being religious it's nearly impossible for the majority of voters for any party to not be religious.  Except for maybe the Devil Worshiping Party of Salem.

Feared for your non-religious beliefs is what he meant.  At least that's my understanding of how people use "secular". 

What on Earth was the point of this comment?

My religious belief is that there is no god. I do not fear god, nor do I fear satan. Neither exist.

That is my religious belief as recognized by the Supreme Court.

What on Earth was the point of this comment?
The way his post reads is that Pence said you should be afraid of the religious beliefs of the left.  That's not what "secular" means (the word Pence used).  It means beliefs not founded in religion or lacking religion.  It's not about difference of religion, it's the supposed lack of religion.

sec·u·lar

/ˈsekyələr/

Learn to pronounce

adjective

denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis.

My religious belief is that there is no god. I do not fear god, nor do I fear satan. Neither exist.

That is my religious belief as recognized by the Supreme Court.
You can call it whatever you want, but, that's a lack of religious belief.

re·li·gion

/rəˈlijən/

Learn to pronounce

noun

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods

I think the distinction is important to the OP.  They are pushing a narrative that the left is not religious.  In reality the left is a just bit less religious, although mostly religious and I think that's the point of the article.

It's not surprising at all.  With 75-80% of the US population being religious it's nearly impossible for the majority of voters for any party to not be religious.  Except for maybe the Devil Worshiping Party of Salem.
Pretty sure devil worship is a religion.

I guess I use the word "religious" differently than most people.  I 'd arguably check off all three of your choices but still don't think I'd call myself "religious".   Just associate too much "extra beliefs" being required with the word.   Obviously since those that arguably would check off fewer boxes still embrace calling themselves religious my usage would be non standard.  I'll have to remember that.

You can call it whatever you want, but, that's a lack of religious belief.

re·li·gion

/rəˈlijən/

Learn to pronounce

noun

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods
Atheism Is Religion

One of the definitions of religion in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, however, is this: “a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.”

Atheism certainly fits that definition, and many of its adherents are quite zealous about their faith system.

Atheists have an active belief system with views concerning origins (that the universe and life arose by natural processes); no life after death; the existence of God; how to behave while alive; and so much more. Honest atheists will admit their worldview is a faith. Atheism is a religion!

For First Amendment Purposes, Is Atheism a Religion?

After reading our recent articles about the situation at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (see here, here, and here), you might wonder whether courts even recognize “atheism” as a religion. Does it violate the Constitution for the government to endorse atheism? In fact, a number of cases have indeed found that for First Amendment purposes, atheism is a religion.

Atheism Is Religion

One of the definitions of religion in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, however, is this: “a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.”

Atheism certainly fits that definition, and many of its adherents are quite zealous about their faith system.

Atheists have an active belief system with views concerning origins (that the universe and life arose by natural processes); no life after death; the existence of God; how to behave while alive; and so much more. Honest atheists will admit their worldview is a faith. Atheism is a religion!

After reading our recent articles about the situation at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (see here, here, and here), you might wonder whether courts even recognize “atheism” as a religion. Does it violate the Constitution for the government to endorse atheism? In fact, a number of cases have indeed found that for First Amendment purposes, atheism is a religion.
:lol:  Answers in Genesis.  You quoted a religious website to tell you what atheists are.

Instead of quoting an article that tells you what the dictionary says why don't you go to the dictionary?  Or better yet why don't you ask American Atheists?

Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Older dictionaries define atheism as “a belief that there is no God.” Clearly, theistic influence taints these definitions. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as “there is no God” betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read “there are no gods.”
Look, normally I don't really care, but, it's important to the OP.  The right isn't saying "look at those lefties and their different religions".  They are saying "your beliefs are not founded in religion."  I mean he used the word "secular" for Christ sake, pun intended.  Does Answers in Genesis have a different definition for that too?

Atheism Is Religion

Let's fact check the bold shall we?:

Merriam-Webster Link

a: a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

b: a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

Atheism Is Religion

you serious Clark?

I don't think a proper and perfect characterization of atheism is super important to the OP, or to what I imagine JB intended for this thread.

I'm guessing he thought some religious GOPers here might incorrectly think that Dems are mostly godless heathens, and he wanted to shine some light on yet another "we're more similar than different, and shouldn't be so divided" kinda thing. Because that's a positive thing to do and he does that here sometimes.

Problem is, no GOPers bit and JB bailed on the thread so we're left guessing and quibbling about offshoots of whatever he was trying to discuss.

I don't think a proper and perfect characterization of atheism is super important to the OP, or to what I imagine JB intended for this thread.

I'm guessing he thought some religious GOPers here might incorrectly think that Dems are mostly godless heathens, and he wanted to shine some light on yet another "we're more similar than different, and shouldn't be so divided" kinda thing. Because that's a positive thing to do and he does that here sometimes.

Problem is, no GOPers bit and JB bailed on the thread so we're left guessing and quibbling about offshoots of whatever he was trying to discuss.
 Nailed it!

Sure, but I wouldn't be shocked if each side harbors a sizable misconception about "how religious" the other side is. I'd like to see results on people from each party trying to guess how religious the other party is.

I was sentenced to Catholic school as a kid because I was a non-conformist and frankly, a ####.  Back then I was taught Christians could only vote D because their partie's values more closely aligned with that of Jesus and the teachings in the bible. Republicans used a singular issue, gay marriage and LGBTs in general to convince Christians that the Ds were godless. It's pretty amazing really since the democrat party still reflects those same values while the republican party keeps moving in the opposite direction. 

Users who are viewing this thread