What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Watched the original Bill and Ted (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Love that movie.  It was on one of the pay channels and I watched it, laughing the whole time.  Was going to see if my daughter wanted to watch, but I got thinking and realized that it's 31 years old.  In 1988, that would have been the equivalent of watching a movie from 1957.  If my pops showed me a movie from 1957 when I was her age, I would have laughed in his face.

Are movies aging differently now?  Obviously, the industry was much bigger in 1988 than 1957.  And it was much more mature, meaning it had found it's grove more so than in 1957.  

Is it reasonable to assume kids would enjoy 30 year old movies now than when we were young?  Or is that just old man thinking, in that "we liked it, so everyone must like it."?

Love that movie.  It was on one of the pay channels and I watched it, laughing the whole time.  Was going to see if my daughter wanted to watch, but I got thinking and realized that it's 31 years old.  In 1988, that would have been the equivalent of watching a movie from 1957.  If my pops showed me a movie from 1957 when I was her age, I would have laughed in his face.

Are movies aging differently now?  Obviously, the industry was much bigger in 1988 than 1957.  And it was much more mature, meaning it had found it's grove more so than in 1957.  

Is it reasonable to assume kids would enjoy 30 year old movies now than when we were young?  Or is that just old man thinking, in that "we liked it, so everyone must like it."?
I think Movies from then are way different than movies form the 50s  imo.

My kid is hit or miss with 80s movies.   Loved BTTF for example

They age differently.  My kids loved Bill & Ted, as well as BTTF and Who Killed Roger Rabbit.  My youngest liked Three Amigos, and my two oldest enjoyed FB Day Off.  I try to find the movies that I think fit their personalities.  I wouldn't have my boys sit and watch Breakfast Club, but I think my daughter would enjoy it.

Our 15 year old son never watches TV unless it's live sports.  The other day Ace Ventura Pet Detective was just getting ready to start, he walked into the room and just as he started to walk out I said "okay, listen, you have to watch this one, it's a classic, if you hate it I won't ever bother again, if you like it then you're gonna have to start trusting my movie judgement."  And he enjoyed that movie very much and now he and I throw lines from that movie at each other.  I'm pretty sure my wife has never seen it so those jokes go over her head which is also fun. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree with your premise.  Hollywood was putting out great product in 1957.  they were near the height of their ability.  Also, creative folks were not working T.V., the internet, and video industry.  They were the only game in town and it showed.

12 Angry Men

7th Seal

Bridge on the River Kwai

Paths of Glory

Funny Face

Old Yeller, yes Old fricken Yeller!

An Affair to Remember

Throne of Blood

3:10 to Yuma

The Enemy Below

I don't agree with your premise.  Hollywood was putting out great product in 1957.  they were near the height of their ability.  Also, creative folks were not working T.V., the internet, and video industry.  They were the only game in town and it showed.

12 Angry Men

7th Seal

Bridge on the River Kwai

Paths of Glory

Funny Face

An Affair to Remember

Throne of Blood

The Enemy Below
I like 12 Angry Men.  The rest, I would've laughed in your face, old man.

12 Angry Men

7th Seal

Bridge on the River Kwai

Paths of Glory

Funny Face

An Affair to Remember

Throne of Blood

The Enemy Below
1957 was a great year for movies.  "A Face in the Crowd" a great one too.

I think unfortunately alot of stuff doesn't age well. I tried to watch Christmas Vacation with my daughter and we only got about halfway into it. Honestly I was almost as bored as she was.

I think some movies age better than others, depending on several factors -- themes, script, pacing, etc.  I think comedies often age better than dramas because themes and situations covered are usually a bit more timeless.  I was not quite the TCM fanboy that I am now, but I remember watching a lot of "Nick at Nite" type stuff when I was around 10 or so -- I Love Lucy, Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie ❤️, Bewitched, etc. And any kid can appreciate the slapstick of The Three Stooges.

If I was 15 now, I'd probably enjoy Bill & Ted because I was a bit of a history nerd at that age, and probably would have enjoyed Lincoln, Napoleon, and the rest.

I think unfortunately alot of stuff doesn't age well. I tried to watch Christmas Vacation with my daughter and we only got about halfway into it. Honestly I was almost as bored as she was.

Yeah, that movie was crap when it first came out as well.
I will fight you all, including the daughter.

This movie is my favorite comedy of all time and in my top 10 movies of all time. I have never quoted any movie as much as I quote this one.  My 13 year old son thought this movie was freaking hilarious.

ETA: I'm referring to Christmas Vacation

Younger generation much less tolerant of black and white.

Cheesy special effects is a no-no.

60's music will send them out of the room.

That movie is hilarious but I’m not sure sure it aged that well. I mean, Rufus travels around in a payphone. 

When was the last time you saw a payphone?  :unsure:

the humor definitely translates though. 

I think some movies age better than others, depending on several factors -- themes, script, pacing, etc.  I think comedies often age better than dramas because themes and situations covered are usually a bit more timeless.  I was not quite the TCM fanboy that I am now, but I remember watching a lot of "Nick at Nite" type stuff when I was around 10 or so -- I Love Lucy, Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie ❤️, Bewitched, etc. And any kid can appreciate the slapstick of The Three Stooges.

If I was 15 now, I'd probably enjoy Bill & Ted because I was a bit of a history nerd at that age, and probably would have enjoyed Lincoln, Napoleon, and the rest.
It's crazy to think that it's been almost a century since some of their stuff was made, and it still holds up 100%.

I selectively watch older movies with my kids all the time.  My older son was probably 15 the first time he saw Bill and Ted and loves it.  He has a friend who whenever he sleeps over at his house they watch Wayne's World.  Every Thanksgiving the family watches Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (well, I tell them all I am watching it and they can join me or not.  They all end up joining me).  We've watched several others.

Not sure why you would have scoffed at a movie from the 50s.  I once watched the original The Thing (1951 version) as a teen with my dad and was very in to it.

My kids were born in the 80s and I watched a lot of old movies with them when they were little and in their teens that they liked.  Good movies like good music transcend time.   

My kids were born in the 80s and I watched a lot of old movies with them when they were little and in their teens that they liked.  Good movies like good music transcend time.   
This is a great point.  In 1988, I loved a lot of 50's and 60's music.  It was my dad's music, but I liked a lot of it.  But where music had been around for a long time and had worked out it's kinks (who were also a band I loved), the movie industry was still in it's adolescence years.  By the 80's, we had started perfecting it.  I mean, you look at movies like Better Off Dead or One Crazy Summer and that is peak comedy.  The industry had reached its Everest at that point.  

This is a great point.  In 1988, I loved a lot of 50's and 60's music.  It was my dad's music, but I liked a lot of it.  But where music had been around for a long time and had worked out it's kinks (who were also a band I loved), the movie industry was still in it's adolescence years.  By the 80's, we had started perfecting it.  I mean, you look at movies like Better Off Dead or One Crazy Summer and that is peak comedy.  The industry had reached its Everest at that point.  
I am not sure that I agree that the 80s was the best decade for movies.   I haven't done an analysis but off the top of my head I think it might have been the 70s

The Big Guy said:
There were no teenage sex comedies from the 50s, or the ones that there were stunk and did not hold up.
That theme was getting touched tangentially on in the "movie club" thread in relation to Bonnie & Clyde recently -- that movie helped kill the Hays Code, which opened the door to more movies featuring discussions and depictions of sex and violence.  Hollywood did undergo a change in the late 60s/early 70s.  Good movies do transcend time, but there is a lot more creative freedom than there was when the Code was in place.

Teenage movies back before then were more of the Frankie & Annette variety.

I am not sure that I agree that the 80s was the best decade for movies.   I haven't done an analysis but off the top of my head I think it might have been the 70s
No.  I wasn't saying it was the BEST decade for movies, by any means.  We always get better at movies, in general.  But for comedy, I think there are some movies that are the pinnacle.  Mainly because of the casts and the way comedy was allowed to be much less toned down.  No one was worrying who was offended.  

But the 80's was not the greatest decade for movies.  

My 12 year old proudly wore an "I ❤️ TOXIC WASTE" shirt on the first day of school!  None of his classmates had a clue...

I think it's important to expose my kids to "31 year old" movies and the like because nowadays a 12 year-old only has a frame of reference that goes back maybe 20 years. But when I was 12 in the mid-80's, mine went back 60+ years because my "bubble" wasn't limited to YouTube and current-ish kids shows on Nick and Disney. Our daytime/weekend entertainment options on TV were filled with re-runs from the 60's and 70's, Three Stooges shorts from the 50's, Abbot & Costello movies from the 40's, Marx Brother's movies from the 30's and even Laurel and Hardy from the 20's. Even the "kids" shows we watched were 30+ years old, like Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry. So we were exposed to all the pop culture references they contained from those eras and were able to then have an awareness of the world that existed before our time.  

My son is obsessed with John Wick so I used that to expose him to some Keanu action "classics" like Speed, Point Break and The Matrix. To totally blow his mind, also had him watch Bill & Ted's. He enjoyed it. 

I will admit that it is difficult watching movies from the 80s with a 2019 sensibility in place. Movies like Revenge of the Nerds, Porky's and countless others are tougher to watch these days.

Users who are viewing this thread