What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Box Safeties (2 Viewers)

Teamer (SD - yes they will always be SD to me) or Rapp (LAR)?   I am looking to pick up a DB and these two are available and both doing nice things.  Who would you rather have?

ETA:  Not worried about the Rams on bye this week for this pickup.  Looking for ROS upside and consistency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teamer (SD - yes they will always be SD to me) or Rapp (LAR)?   I am looking to pick up a DB and these two are available and both doing nice things.  Who would you rather have?

ETA:  Not worried about the Rams on bye this week for this pickup.  Looking for ROS upside and consistency.
Is Derwin on the return IR list? Cause if he is that may sway your pick. 

Is Derwin on the return IR list? Cause if he is that may sway your pick. 
He is but he isn't practicing and with the Chargers going in the tank I doubt he makes a return.  It is a factor but I don't think as much...…..but I already have James on my IR so if he does come back then I have that covered anyway. 

Given the timing of Derwin's jones fracture and their quality of play to date the bolts would be stupid to try and get him back this year. 

But they are the bolts. 

For dynasty, give me Rapp.  Seems more likely to keep value in a competitive backfield, whereas LAC is always shuffling their defenders and making snap counts hard to predict.

Gardner-Johnson, Chauncey NOS S (R)

2 weeks in a row with solid stats. All 3 safeties in NOLA playing a ton, with Williams & Bell at 100% each week and CJGJ at 91% and 98% the last 2 weeks. I'm guessing 3 safeties at nearly 100% isn't sustainable... but the pass-happy NFL does seem like the trend is a whole lot of pass D personnel. Vonn Bell is in a contract year; Williams expires 2020. Add & stash value seems high on CJGJ but is he a reliable starter for us at all this year?

Gardner-Johnson, Chauncey NOS S (R)

2 weeks in a row with solid stats. All 3 safeties in NOLA playing a ton, with Williams & Bell at 100% each week and CJGJ at 91% and 98% the last 2 weeks. I'm guessing 3 safeties at nearly 100% isn't sustainable... but the pass-happy NFL does seem like the trend is a whole lot of pass D personnel. Vonn Bell is in a contract year; Williams expires 2020. Add & stash value seems high on CJGJ but is he a reliable starter for us at all this year?
He's stealing snaps from AJ Klein. Who is not any good. They have Atlanta and Tampa in 3 of 4 weeks post bye, who constantly run 3+ WR sets. I think the Carolina game will be a hint about what to expect come weeks 14-16. In the meantime I feel comfortable saying he will sustain 90+% snaps in at least 3 of those games and you just explained why he's attractive beyond this season. They're going to re-sign Williams, but he plays free so if anything that's a good thing for CGJ.

CGJ is played slot corner the last two week for the most part in place of suspended PJ Williams...curious what happens after the bye because fantasy stats aside, he played well.

Jermaine Whitehead has gone and got himself waived after a bad game and some horrendous tweets.
Publicly posting racial slurs is a good way to get yourself fired Jerome xxxxxhead. Even though I wouldn't care if someone called me a cracker.

Yeah, looks bad (though puts up useful FF stats) but has been tossed out the door by several franchises now. Next news on him seems highly likely to be of the police blotter variety. Clearly not a level-headed dude.

A couple guys that have caught my eye and if they have been mentioned before here, I apologize if they have.  Chuck Clark for the Ravens.  His production wasn't great last night against the Pats but he definitely plays at the line of scrimmage and they had him blitzing a lot last night.  If he continues to get that opportunity against normal QBs, he should have some very nice games.  

Also, Erik Harris has been putting up the tackles for the Raiders.  I plan to grab him this week off waivers to solidify my backfield for the playoff run.   I also like Teamer but I had to drop him this week since he was out.  

A couple guys that have caught my eye and if they have been mentioned before here, I apologize if they have.  Chuck Clark for the Ravens.  His production wasn't great last night against the Pats but he definitely plays at the line of scrimmage and they had him blitzing a lot last night.  If he continues to get that opportunity against normal QBs, he should have some very nice games.  

Also, Erik Harris has been putting up the tackles for the Raiders.  I plan to grab him this week off waivers to solidify my backfield for the playoff run.   I also like Teamer but I had to drop him this week since he was out.  
I keep expecting to hear Derwin's coming back this year but it seems pretty unlikely. 

I know he is not a box safety but he is a DB that performed well up to this point for fantasy purposes...…...Does anybody know why Kevin King's (GB) snaps dropped drastically this past week?  He has been putting up consistent numbers but only played 28% (20 snaps) of plays this week.  The three prior weeks were all above 95%.  He hadn't been below 50% (and that was only one week where I think he got dinged). 

Anybody know anything about this?

Interesting. In typical "IDP News Gets Buried" fashion, King's injury was not publicized (at least that I saw) but was a thing.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/05/packers-decided-to-be-cautious-with-cb-kevin-king-vs-chargers/
I hate when that happens....especially when he was in my lineup...hahahaha.  Lower level DB's are the worst for this kind of thing.  They never get any news on them so it's hard to find out anything prior to the game. 

I knew he was battling a groin injury but he was shown to practice "in full" all week so I thought it was a non-issue.  Luckily it didn't cost me a win. 

What is everyone doing with Marquise Blair now that Diggs is expected back this week? 
Tough call... right now I'm starting him in one of two where I own him but that's b/c Landon Collins has a bye. I am considering starting Chauncy Gardner-Johnson instead. 

Any word on Roderic Teamer's health?  I have seen nothing on him since he was declared inactive on Sunday.  Usually with the Thursday game they at least give practice reports but I haven't been able to see that either. 

Not much. One article from an hour ago https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/notes/180777/roderic-teamer-2019-week-10-outlook.php

and the chargers wire (mostly useless) report despite not actually practicing  https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/04/injury-report-for-chargers-raiders/

Likely need to check in at TNF game time 
I was afraid of that.  Our waivers run tonight and we have actual cost associated with free agents.  $5 for waiver acquisitions and $10 for instant claims after the waivers run.  The waivers run tonight.  I would rather not spend any money if I don't have to but I would much prefer spending $5 over $10 if I knew he wasn't playing. 

Assistant head coach Raheem Morris was moved from coaching wide receivers to defensive backs on Monday. 

Morris, a longtime NFL defensive backs coach who spent the previous three-and-half seasons coaching wide receivers, was out at practice on Wednesday barking out instructions and firing passes to the Falcons’ cornerbacks.

Defensive backs coach Doug Mallory, who previously worked with the cornerbacks, was working with the safeties.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/morris-proud-quinn-thought-could-help-struggling-secondary/A3kGEHP5GijKB2GjAvwgUM/

Any word on Roderic Teamer's health?  I have seen nothing on him since he was declared inactive on Sunday.  Usually with the Thursday game they at least give practice reports but I haven't been able to see that either. 
No, but Derwin is on his way back... Teamer's about to fall off my rosters.  I got some good games from him 🙂

What is everyone doing with Marquise Blair now that Diggs is expected back this week? 
Bradley is JAG. Whether this shakes out as a rotation now and settles later, I don't know but McDougald is best as a reserve. I'd expect him to take a backseat to them soon enough because, iirc, they don't do a lot of 3-safety looks. Diggs as strictly slot corner doesn't make sense really either.

Just trying to think thru it, I'd be surprised if Diggs didn't play full-time as free safety. I remember over the offseason, McDougald stated publicly he didn't want to play free. Carroll offered nothing more than backhanded praise for Thompson, saying he didn't F up as much as Hill. (Well, in so many words.) Then Hill got a crack at the job one week. Face plant. Reporters asked Carroll about Blair playing free in August. "Definitely not ready." He could be now, but then why trade? Taylor's playing OK in the slot, Diggs's other fit in the lineup. I would imagine that Blair's played well enough to keep a part-time role. 2/3 of snaps? That should eat into Kendricks's workload, as well as Taylor's. If Diggs proves his worth playing deep, I suppose Seattle could go back to more Cover-1 looks, but given how hard it's been for other players to build that trust with coaches, I wouldn't bet on it. Ultimately, I don't see anything actionable for us here. I'm keeping Blair on my taxi squad. McDougald hasn't been useful this year and only would be if he saw more time playing forward, like last year. But it looks like Blair is better suited for that through a handful of games.

Just trying to think thru it, I'd be surprised if Diggs didn't play full-time as free safety. I remember over the offseason, McDougald stated publicly he didn't want to play free. Carroll offered nothing more than backhanded praise for Thompson, saying he didn't F up as much as Hill. (Well, in so many words.) Then Hill got a crack at the job one week. Face plant. Reporters asked Carroll about Blair playing free in August. "Definitely not ready." He could be now, but then why trade? Taylor's playing OK in the slot, Diggs's other fit in the lineup. I would imagine that Blair's played well enough to keep a part-time role. 2/3 of snaps? That should eat into Kendricks's workload, as well as Taylor's. If Diggs proves his worth playing deep, I suppose Seattle could go back to more Cover-1 looks, but given how hard it's been for other players to build that trust with coaches, I wouldn't bet on it. Ultimately, I don't see anything actionable for us here. I'm keeping Blair on my taxi squad. McDougald hasn't been useful this year and only would be if he saw more time playing forward, like last year. But it looks like Blair is better suited for that through a handful of games.
i think Diggs is FS for sure going forward. i think some folks got spooked when Pete started talking about Blair getting snaps at FS too. I'd guess he understands what Blair is good at and bringing Diggs fixes some major problems. 

I mentioned this in a different thread. Willis will play for Hooker while he's out. Geathers will stay at SS for now.
Khari Willis, welcome to the club! With everybody (kinda) healthy, Hooker played almost exclusively deep. Willis lining up all over, lots in the box. Geathers...🚲🌲

Bob Condotta‏ @bcondotta

Shaquem Griffin officially played 14 snaps last night in pass rush role after not playing any on defense all year.

Will be interesting to see if that continues.

7:28 AM - 12 Nov 2019

Bob Condotta‏ @bcondotta

Shaquem Griffin officially played 14 snaps last night in pass rush role after not playing any on defense all year.

Will be interesting to see if that continues.

7:28 AM - 12 Nov 2019
Since this is the safety thread are you confusing the DB Griffin with his pass rush brother and thinking this is a development?  Otherwise I am not quite sure why this comment is in this thread.

Since this is the safety thread are you confusing the DB Griffin with his pass rush brother and thinking this is a development?  Otherwise I am not quite sure why this comment is in this thread.
Oops, you are right and I am wrong.  I felt he was up in the box but he was rushing from the outside.

I missed this comment the first time, but just found him separately looking at points over the last few weeks.  Deep dynasty league here, so my level of interest in guys doesn't translate very well.  But anyone have additional thoughts on Chuck Clark, any chance he's the future in Baltimore?  I haven't been watching for him so haven't noticed his play.  Baltimore safeties don't seem to be uber fantasy scorers, but might be a good stretch run guy for redraft  

Clark is 2017 6th rounder and is currently wearing the green dot for Baltimore.  Tony Jefferson out for the year and signed for $7m for only 2020, UFA in 2021.  PFF seems more or less favorable on Clark, and he's getting basically 100% of snaps the last 3 weeks with most of them being in the box.  

I think you nailed it, inyoutees. The Ravens can save all of that $7M by cutting Jefferson. I'd guess they do that and let the cheap guy play. Needless to say he's auditioning for the job and is doing ok so far. 

For fantasy, I wouldn't pay much for him.  It's been a long time since a Ravens safety was more than an S2. I don't have him in any 16-teamers. I wish I had him in my 20-teamer tho. I just lost Morgan Burnett! 😥

Gents, there's some clarity and a point of interest in Seattle now. McDougald played more snaps in the box than deep for the first time this season. Perhaps coaches are trusting Quandre Diggs in that single-high role, enabling them to play the SS forward more often. McDougald has been productive in those circumstances. 9 or 10 tackles in the wild-card-round game against Dallas, last time we saw it. 

No Marquise Blair at all. 😔 I can't quit him in dynasty tho! 🤩

Gents, there's some clarity and a point of interest in Seattle now. McDougald played more snaps in the box than deep for the first time this season. Perhaps coaches are trusting Quandre Diggs in that single-high role, enabling them to play the SS forward more often. McDougald has been productive in those circumstances. 9 or 10 tackles in the wild-card-round game against Dallas, last time we saw it. 

No Marquise Blair at all. 😔 I can't quit him in dynasty tho! 🤩
R2 pick after all. I don't blame you. He's still a dynasty buy, imo, and it's just a matter of time for him.

Khari Willis, welcome to the club! With everybody (kinda) healthy, Hooker played almost exclusively deep. Willis lining up all over, lots in the box. Geathers...🚲🌲
Willis has been out for week 12. Geathers time again?

Derwin James is set to return.  Might be a good time to pick him up if someone actually dropped him.  I would probably wait a week to see how he is used and if he is back to his usual self before putting him in my lineup.

Gally said:
Derwin James is set to return.  Might be a good time to pick him up if someone actually dropped him.  I would probably wait a week to see how he is used and if he is back to his usual self before putting him in my lineup.
Adrian Phillips as well.  Both of them can put up great stats.

Derwin is back. Who's rolling him out this week? I might be patient just to see snap count but I want to use him tomorrow so bad.

My choice is James or Bethea vs GB in the snow or Kevin King vs Giants in the snow.  

Big play scoring with 7 pt picks, 3 pts for PD, 1 pt per any kind of tackle and 9 ots for a sack.

Users who are viewing this thread