What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Is Your Oholic? (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
So I'm sitting around in my garage last night. A few weeks back someone pointed out that I have a ton of shovels. So I counted: I have 11 shovels hanging in my garage. Now, they all do serve a purpose. Bear with me now:

5 - snow shovels. One each for the three kids, one for me, and one as a backup in case one breaks.

1 - large scoop shovel. This is for using as a big dust pan for cleaning up large piles of messes in the garage after projects.

1 - small flat shovel. Perfect for cleaning up smaller messes or cleaning mud off of the driveway or sidewalk

2 - regular shovels. For planting bushes, digging holes, turning over the garden. Why 2? Well, good question.

2 - plastic snow shovels the kids used when they were little. I've saved this because I leave one in the backyard for cleaning up the patio. The other one is backup.

So clearly, I am a shoveloholic. WTF. Didn't plan this, but I have an abundance of shovels.

So I got to thinking, what other kind of oholic am I? 

1. Lawnoholic. I hand water (with a sprayer) new grass seed so it gets the proper amount of moisture without pooling up and washing down the hill. I hand pick weeds out of the lawn. I'm always outside looking at how to improve the landscape. Sometimes I just sit there with a beer and look and my lawn. 

2. Sportsoholic. I watch games constantly - doesn't matter the sport. Usually a KC based team but sometimes not. I have a TV in the garage, and a portable one I drag out to the back patio to watch sports. There is always a game of some kind on in my house.

So there's three. Jeez I'm nuts.

So clearly, I am a shoveloholic
No way. It just means you do a lot of work outside. I easily have that many shovels. I shovel my driveway. Dont own a plow or snow blower. My driveway is 180 feet long. So i have shovels that i use depending on the snow. Powdery fluffy snow, wet sloppy snow, iced over stuff, scoop out the bottom of the driveway where the plows can somehow manufacture snow, etc etc. So probably 7-8 snow shovels. Although since a started using the backpack leaf blower for clearing the light stuff i could probably get rid of a couple. But i guess what if the leaf blower broke? 

Then for gardening i have tons as well. I have two of almost every one also so that my son can help. 

If 11 makes you an oholic, i might as well check into rehab. 

I go through phases. It was sports as a kid - playing and watching. Then it was hold'em and blackjack through college. Then it was fantasy sports til whenever it became too saturated. Now it's running. Shelf life seems to be 5 years or thereabouts.

Movie-aholic

I "own" about 1300 movies and 40 or so TV series.  And a good chunk of them I've never watched.

No way. It just means you do a lot of work outside. I easily have that many shovels. I shovel my driveway. Dont own a plow or snow blower. My driveway is 180 feet long. So i have shovels that i use depending on the snow. Powdery fluffy snow, wet sloppy snow, iced over stuff, scoop out the bottom of the driveway where the plows can somehow manufacture snow, etc etc. So probably 7-8 snow shovels. Although since a started using the backpack leaf blower for clearing the light stuff i could probably get rid of a couple. But i guess what if the leaf blower broke? 

Then for gardening i have tons as well. I have two of almost every one also so that my son can help. 

If 11 makes you an oholic, i might as well check into rehab. 
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

I go through phases. It was sports as a kid - playing and watching. Then it was hold'em and blackjack through college. Then it was fantasy sports til whenever it became too saturated. Now it's running. Shelf life seems to be 5 years or thereabouts.
I go through phases also.  I tend to go all-in on something for a while and then eventually grow out of it and move onto something else.

The one constant aholic I have is food related... Chips.  It's the one vice that I just won't ever be able to give up.

Athletic shoes.  We have shelves in our garage for shoes and I counted.  I have 12 pair.  Nike, UA, Saucony, Asics.  Pretty much every color.  That is not counting 3 pair of golf shoes.  I walk our dogs 3 miles a night but only use one pair for that. 

I go on 6pm.com and when I see a pair of 120.00 shoes for 50 or 60 I buy them if I need them or not, and I don`t need them.

The one constant aholic I have is food related... Chips.  It's the one vice that I just won't ever be able to give up.
Made me think of another: Coca-Cola.

I have to have a fountain coke every morning. I've tried to quit. I've tried iced-tea instead. Nope. Have to drink a coke. I've given up on trying to quit.

Bottle openers.  I have one in every common area in the house plus probably 20 more in random places (most stuck to the beer fridge).

Hats.  I have probably 30 hats with 10 or so being your standard ballcap.  The rest are old man hats I've collected over the years.  Started off as a way to annoy my wife but now I'm a hatolholic.

Video Games.  I play probably 15 hours a week of video games.  But it's ok, because so does my wife.  Recently bought a 3rd PS4/TV setup in our game room for my 8yo son.  He only plays a couple hours a week though.

Oh man - I have a lot.  

Box Cutteraholic - I easily have 15 different box cutters.  10 or so old basic single-blade ones, 2 nice Dewalt folding ones, a really small minimalist Gerber one, a Milwaukee one, and probably another 10 or so I'm not counting of the basic plastic snap-off blade ones.  I use the Dewalt ones regularly in the yard, and the Gerber one for opening packages.  The rest are scattered around the house for whatever I need.

Shoeaholic - I easily have 30 pairs of shoes.  Probably 16 pair of dress oxfords, 5 pair of sneakers, 2 pair of snow boots, 6 pair of casual shoes, 2 pair of cowboy boots, and that's not counting flip flops, water shoes, sandals, etc.  

Dress shirtaholic - I have 40+ button-down dress shirts for work.  I do dry-cleaning less than 1x per month.  I used to live in NYC right next to the Century One discount store and I'd buy a shirt or so a week for a decent period of time...I've slowly replaced some of those with Charles Tyrwitt shirts as they've worn out.

I too am a lawnaholic - My yard is almost 3 acres.  I cut it myself, pay to have it fertilized, and do all the OCD things noted here.  Despite having a lawn fertilization service, I'll go out and spot-treat weeds, water newly planted grass by hand, fill random low spots with topsoil, gradually add soil to cover bare roots, dig out thatchy spots and re-seed, etc.  I too often just sit on my deck with a beer and look at my yard when I get a quiet moment.  I've got 4 sets of blades for my mower - I sharpen them all up in the spring and change them out every month and a half or so.  

Work Gloveaholic - I have probably 15 pairs of work gloves.  To be fair, I buy them 1x per year when Mechanix has their black Friday sale.  I've got maybe 5 pair of yardwork gloves, 3 pair of the classic mechanix gloves, 2 pair of the insulated winter ones, and another 5 or so of some cheaper cotton gloves with the rubber-dipped palms.

My ex wife says I'm a jacketoholic, but she's a shoeohokic, bagoholic and clothesoholic. She used to be a jewelroholic too, but she got better

Made me think of another: Coca-Cola.

I have to have a fountain coke every morning. I've tried to quit. I've tried iced-tea instead. Nope. Have to drink a coke. I've given up on trying to quit.
No different between that an coffee.  Most people drink at least one cup of coffee every morning. 

I used to have a dog that was a hole-ohlic.  Thing did nothing but dig holes all day.  Ironically I had to dig a hole bigger than any of his to bury him.  Somehow I think that would have made him happy.

Backpacks.

I probably own two dozen and use them for very specific purposes. I have one that holds my tennis rackets. About a half dozen I use with photography equipment depending on what type of gear I'll be using that day or trip. Large one for overnight hiking. Small one for day hiking. Waterproof one for hiking on rainy days and/or around waterfalls and/or rafting/boating. I have one that rolls as a carry-on when I fly and won't be checking a bag. I have a smaller one if I'm checking a bag and just need a small backpack for the plane. Backpacks that can hold a 17" laptop. Backpacks that can recharge my devices with ports as I walk. I even have a giant backpack that I use to store some of my more seldom used backpacks inside when they are not in use. All shapes, all sizes, all colors. A few are terrible, but I just store seldom used stuff inside them and hang them on a hook.

Backpacks.

I probably own two dozen and use them for very specific purposes. I have one that holds my tennis rackets. About a half dozen I use with photography equipment depending on what type of gear I'll be using that day or trip. Large one for overnight hiking. Small one for day hiking. Waterproof one for hiking on rainy days and/or around waterfalls and/or rafting/boating. I have one that rolls as a carry-on when I fly and won't be checking a bag. I have a smaller one if I'm checking a bag and just need a small backpack for the plane. Backpacks that can hold a 17" laptop. Backpacks that can recharge my devices with ports as I walk. I even have a giant backpack that I use to store some of my more seldom used backpacks inside when they are not in use. All shapes, all sizes, all colors. A few are terrible, but I just store seldom used stuff inside them and hang them on a hook.
Not one for bolts?

The phone - I need to turn this Fer off
Sadly, this is me.  I'm "on" it all day at work (for Pandora, and tend to get plenty of texts and emails that I don't get on my work computer).  And then at home I'm playing a lot of games and checking social media. 

It's a problem.   :sadbanana:

Yeah, I tend to burn out of a given activity after a few years. Weightlifting, hiking, cycling, fantasy football all are past their expiration dates. Climbing is on life support. Only snow skiing, card and board games have staying power, probably because I don’t partake often. Certainly not -oholic levels.

I guess my best response to the OP is dessertoholic.

I came here to chime in with this.  I could give up beer, sweets, sausage, basically anything but chips.  All kinds. As long as it is salty and crunchy I want to devour it until there is no more. And tilt the bag into my mouth to get the crumbs and leftover salt. 

• Love
Reactions: Ned
I used to be a cast iron-o-holic. Now I don't have time, but I miss it. 

Now, I'm a bug salt shot gun-oholic. Not for myself (though I have a couple), but for everybody I know. I'm addicted to spreading the joy of bug salt gunning. Every home should have one. I'm not wealthy enough to give expensive things lavishly, but I'm the Bill and Melinda Gates of salt shotguns.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I used to be a cast iron-o-holic. Now I don't have time, but I miss it. 

Now, I'm a bug salt shot gun-oholic. Not for myself (though I have a couple), but for everybody I know. I'm addicted to spreading the joy of bug salt gunning. Every home should have one. I'm not wealthy enough to give expensive things lavishly, but I'm the Bill and Melinda Gates of salt shotguns.
Sounds awesome

food

have a lot of caps but have stopped buying them at least 10 years ago.

I have a lot of jackets, but also stopped getting them about 10 years ago

phone, but am good about pocketing it

Oh yeah, me too. I can go weeks without touching the stuff.......and then on a single football-watching-Saturday (or Sunday) I'll go through 3 entire bags of Doritos. Just nonstop reach/crunch/chew/swallow for 6 hours straight.

It's not bueno for my digestive system, though.

Users who are viewing this thread