What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Blip" or Sign of Things to Come (1 Viewer)

Dizzy

Footballguy
Which of these is an anomaly and which are likely to continue (within reason... wouldn't expect another 40-burger from Sammy)...

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger

- Dak a top-5 QB

- Cam Newton struggling

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out)

- DEN RBBC

- LAR RBBC

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns)

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns)

- Marquise Brown house calls

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside)

- CLE offensive struggles

- PIT offensive struggles

- ATL offensive struggles

Which of these is an anomaly and which are likely to continue (within reason... wouldn't expect another 40-burger from Sammy)...
Watkins is highly unlikely to repeat. 

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger
Sign - kid’s.a baller. That was likely the high water mark, but I don’t see the drop off as being that steep. That’s a very good football team, loaded with weapons. 

- Dak a top-5 QB
Their new offensive style could make this a sign.

but they were also working Zeke back in. 

- Cam Newton struggling
Blip - he’s better than that. 

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out)
Sign, but he’ll have better games than that. 

- DEN RBBC
Sign

- LAR RBBC
Sign, painted in day glow orange since long before the season started. 

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns)
Blip

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns)
Blip

- Marquise Brown house calls
Sign

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside)
Sign, but updated for Crowded’s kissing disease. Probably a blip now, and he does get hurt a lot. 

- CLE offensive struggles
Blip

- PIT offensive struggles
Sign

- ATL offensive struggles
Sign

updated post-Sam D’Mono news. 

Last edited by a moderator:

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger - Sign

- Dak a top-5 QB - Sign

- Cam Newton struggling - Blip

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out) - Sign

- DEN RBBC - Sign

- LAR RBBC - Sign

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns) - Sign

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns) - to early to tell, sign that there will be value for the season

- Marquise Brown house calls - Sign, the run game demands a safety in the box.  Good luck covering Brown.

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside) - Sign,  minimal ff value

- CLE offensive struggles - blip

- PIT offensive struggles - to early to tell, lean sign

- ATL offensive struggles - to early to tell, lean blip

Dak Prescott would be the biggest blip for me.  He's been QB11 each of the last two years, playing 16 games each time (so on a PPG basis he's probably lower than 11th).

New OC but same HC and surrounding cast makes me think he still is who he's been.  And it's still the Zeke Show.

Dak Prescott would be the biggest blip for me.  He's been QB11 each of the last two years, playing 16 games each time (so on a PPG basis he's probably lower than 11th).

New OC but same HC and surrounding cast makes me think he still is who he's been.  And it's still the Zeke Show.
I dunno - they were pretty adamant about going with more of a vertical game. This seems like they executed what they’d be preaching. 

I agree Zeke will be worked back in, but this is the deepest set of weapons Dak has ever had. I wouldn’t be at all shocked if this were the new normal. 

The only reason Watkins won't finish as a Tier 1 WR, even after Hill returns, is health.  The talent has always been undeniable, he's in his second season with the offense and has the best QB in the game.  This offense could easily produce Randy Moss/Cris Carter numbers at WR.

Don’t they have a new OC in Dallas too?

i can’t see Pittsburgh being a sign, don’t expect them to be great, but not that bad.

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger- Kind of in the middle here. Definitely not fantasy MVP but definitely QB1

- Dak a top-5 QB- blip, NYG defense is horrendous and they wont pass this much

- Cam Newton struggling- sign of things to come, hes been avg ever since his MVP season

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out)- sign of things to come, see no improvement in his game

- DEN RBBC- sign of things to come, thats what it was last year before Freeman got hurt

- LAR RBBC- sign of things to come, they will monitor Gurley's usage all year

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns)- blip, too much history here to think otherwise

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns)- blip, cant catch, hamstrings always hurt

- Marquise Brown house calls- sign of things to come, dynamic speed

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside)- sign of things to come, writing was on the wall all off-season

- CLE offensive struggles- sign of things to come, maybe not this bad but their oline is very bad

- PIT offensive struggles- blip, Ben always struggles on the road and they always get destroyed by NE. They still have a stud oline, a HOF QB, a top WR, and a good RB tandem

- ATL offensive struggles- blip, bad oline but I think Ryan will do his thing like usual. Seems like an outlier.

Don’t they have a new OC in Dallas too?

i can’t see Pittsburgh being a sign, don’t expect them to be great, but not that bad.
Losing AB definitely hurts but it's still one of the top 3 offensive lines in the league, they'll right the ship probably this week.

The only reason Watkins won't finish as a Tier 1 WR, even after Hill returns, is health.  The talent has always been undeniable, he's in his second season with the offense and has the best QB in the game.  This offense could easily produce Randy Moss/Cris Carter numbers at WR.
In 5 seasons, Watkins has finished WR25, WR15, WR85, WR34, and last year with KC, WR63.

Injuries and missed games are certainly a big part of that.  Still, hard to see a leap into the top 10 with so many much lower finishes.

I’m much more worried about the Browns offense than the Steelers. That o-line has major issues. 

Mildly worried about newton, but I was all off season too. He’s following the Mcnabb career path. 

I don’t know about dak as a top-5 guy, but I am buying cooper and Gallup both being fantasy starters. Could see them being what thielen/diggs have been. 

It wasn’t on the list, but I am buying d-Jax as a wr2. Wentz is the best qb he has ever had, and they are using him all across the formation. 

In 5 seasons, Watkins has finished WR25, WR15, WR85, WR34, and last year with KC, WR63.

WR25 = 2014 buffalo bills with kyle orton and Ej manuel QBing, Fred Jackson/CJ spiller combo on one of the run heaviest teams in the league

WR15= 2015 buffalo bills, missed 4 games to injury, Tyrod Taylor, Ej Manuel and Matt Cassel Qbing, run heavy offense

WR85= 2016 buffalo bills,  missed 9 games to injury, Tyrod Taylor Ej Manuel QB, still run heavy

WR34= 2017 LA rams, missed 2 game to injury, rookie jared Goff, Jeff freaking Fischer coaching

WR63= 2018 Kan Chiefs, missed 7 games to injury, pat mahomes qb, buried behind hill, kelce, hunt for targets
I see Watkins top 10 if he can stay healthy this year, the talent is not a question, his talent was largely suppressed by poor QB play in Buffalo and LA on bad teams.  He pulled off a WR15 finish in 2015 missing 4 games with Tyrod Taylor throwing him the ball in a run heavy Offense.  No Reason he can't pull a WR1 finish in 2019 with Mahomes throwing him the ball in a shootout offense, even if he misses a few games with injury.

Why not both? 

That playcalling was beyond horrific. Just the pass:run ratio in a game within 1 score was insane. 
I agree. Not sold on Nagy either. The word on the RPO stuff is that a lot of that was Mitch calling into pass. Just have a bad feeling that Mitch is future back-up caliber QB not anywhere near the franchise QB he was drafted to be. Has flashed some, but dude doesn't have "it" at all. 

Injuries and missed games are certainly a big part of that.  Still, hard to see a leap into the top 10 with so many much lower finishes.
Absolutely valid points although it looks like you are using total points instead of PPG.  I had him as WR#9 in 2015 not WR15 and last year he finished as WR23 in the 9 games he played.

Sammy has been a disappointment, no doubt, but it is rarely because he doesn't produce while on the field.  He was able to produce as a #1 WR in Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor throwing the ball and he was a #2WR in KC last year.  With his performance last week and the injury to Tyreek, Watkins would be way to expensive try and acquire, his massive injury history should give everyone pause (of course sellers will ignore that) but if he's on your roster and you're thinking of not starting him because he "finished as WR63" last year, you are probably making a huge mistake.

Interesting stuff so far and happy to chime in...

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger -SIGN. I think this will be Lamar's highest point season and expect very Randall Cunningham ("Ultimate Weapon" years) type numbers weekly.

- Dak a top-5 QB - BLIP (but still SIGNish). I expect him to slip back into the QB 5-10 range, but still much improved numbers from previous years. Cowboys could be dominant this season.

- Cam Newton struggling -SIGN. Agree with previous poster on steady decline since his MVP season. Another to chime along with another previous post... he will continue to be just OK until a T.O. type signing gives him the WR threat he needs.

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out) -SIGN. I think he's a bust. He looked like a guys starting his first game last week.

- DEN RBBC -BLIP turning to SIGN. I believe they could fall into a Freeman workhorse and Lindsay on passing downs/change-up.

- LAR RBBC -SIGN. Sadly, will be a long year for those that took Gurley early.

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns) -SIGN. I actually wondered if they would try to work Watkins into the WR1 in KC out of "fear of the unknown" with respect to Hill's issues. As others have said, talent is not a question. Could be his time to shine, but no more games like this.

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns) -BLIP. Hope I'm wrong, but just too many WRs to feed once Green returns. Also think CIN may have over-performed on offense last week.

- Marquise Brown house calls -SIGN. Probably the Waiver Wire Gem for 2019.

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside) -SIGN. Especially if you think Crowder is playing the part of Landry in Gase's offense.

- CLE offensive struggles -BLIP. Ultimately I think they will gel into their pre-season hype. I'm more concerned about their HC than O-line.

- PIT offensive struggles -SIGN. Steelers fan (full disclosure)... and this looked worse than their normal trouncing in Foxboro to me. They were completely non-competitive on the offensive side of the ball. I think they will continue to look like a team that lost their 2 best skill players.

- ATL offensive struggles -SIGN. They have not looked great on offense since Shanahan departed for SF.

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger - If there's an option three, I would say very good, but not MVP challenger.

- Dak a top-5 QB - again, I can see top 7-8, but not top 5.

- Cam Newton struggling - blip for fantasy.

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out) - I'm not a fan at all, but I won't say bust when he's drafted as QB16-18. Blip I guess. He'll probably end up in that range.

- DEN RBBC - true I guess. Flacco doesn't help that offense either.

- LAR RBBC - true

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns) - Can he stay healthy enough? I'll say blip. If healthy, top 12, but not top tier.

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns)  - Primary? blip. Breakout I think so.

- Marquise Brown house calls- In that offense, sure, but inconsistently

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside) - Sure, but without Sam? Lower your expectations. With Sam? Until Crowder gets hurt.

- CLE offensive struggles - blip

- PIT offensive struggles - blip

- ATL offensive struggles - blip, but the o-line could be an issue
My stab at it.

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger Likely a top five guy as predicted.

- Dak a top-5 QB  Blip. Too much Zeke for Dak to freak.

- Cam Newton struggling Likely, did you see his throwing motion? It's awful.

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out) Blip. He'll be average to below-average, but no bust outside of Top 20, which I guess is a bust. No blip. 

- DEN RBBC Likely, with Freeman going 60/40, actually. Lindsay is good, but overrated, IMHO. Fangio is an old school guy and will be enamored of the bigger back. 

- LAR RBBC Likely, provided Gurley stays healthy. If not, M. Brown is bell cow. That's probably not the expected answer, but is mine. 

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns) Likely, if healthy. Offense is soooo good.

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns) Blip. That game and his receptions were too fluky in nature. AJ isn't what he was, but Ross III is a flyer solamente. 

- Marquise Brown house calls Blip, but that doesn't mean he's not their top receiver this year

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside) Blip without Darnold and considering that Siemian is the backup.

- CLE offensive struggles Blip. Too much talent all around and OL not that bad. 

- PIT offensive struggles Likely until they get away from dumpoffs. By Week Eight, they'll be average to above-average, but Week One looked fugly. 

- ATL offensive struggles Blip, but they'll only be average to above-average with that OL. 

Absolutely valid points although it looks like you are using total points instead of PPG.  I had him as WR#9 in 2015 not WR15 and last year he finished as WR23 in the 9 games he played.

Sammy has been a disappointment, no doubt, but it is rarely because he doesn't produce while on the field.  He was able to produce as a #1 WR in Buffalo with Tyrod Taylor throwing the ball and he was a #2WR in KC last year.  With his performance last week and the injury to Tyreek, Watkins would be way to expensive try and acquire, his massive injury history should give everyone pause (of course sellers will ignore that) but if he's on your roster and you're thinking of not starting him because he "finished as WR63" last year, you are probably making a huge mistake.
The only trouble I am having starting him is that I either need to bench Michel against the dolphins or JuJu to do it.

- PIT offensive struggles -SIGN. Steelers fan (full disclosure)... and this looked worse than their normal trouncing in Foxboro to me. They were completely non-competitive on the offensive side of the ball. I think they will continue to look like a team that lost their 2 best skill players.
They lost Antonio Brown this offseason which will absolutely hurt but they didn't lose their second best skill position player and it is still a top 3 NFL offensive line.

The only trouble I am having starting him is that I either need to bench Michel against the dolphins or JuJu to do it.
I don't see how anyone can start Michel with confidence.  He had 15 carries and 0 receptions in a blowout last week.

I don't see how anyone can start Michel with confidence.  He had 15 carries and 0 receptions in a blowout last week.
His body of work in the late regular season, playoffs, and preseason pointed to starting him with confidence. Fifteen for fourteen against Pittsburgh put a huge bucket of water on the top of the doorsill. 

- Lamar Jackson fantasy MVP challenger - Blip

- Dak a top-5 QB - Blip

- Cam Newton struggling - Blip

- Trubisky on the cusp of bust (vs busting out) - Blip

- DEN RBBC - Sign

- LAR RBBC - Sign

- Watkins Tier 1 (even after Hill returns) - Sign

- Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns) - Blip

- Marquise Brown house calls - Blip

- Crowder a slot machine (PPR WR 2 w/ upside) - Sign (once Sam returns from feeling yucky)

- CLE offensive struggles - Blip

- PIT offensive struggles - Blip

- ATL offensive struggles - Blip

I should have had him on this list.

Put me on the nervous owner list... he looked slow and indecisive last week. It seemed to get worse in the 2nd half. Burkhead looked like a man on a mission (more touches).

I should have had him on this list.

Put me on the nervous owner list... he looked slow and indecisive last week. It seemed to get worse in the 2nd half. Burkhead looked like a man on a mission (more touches).
Yup.  If he can’t do it against MIA than we have a problem. If Burkehead is on the WW do you pick him up?

Don’t feel like he’ll be a league winner by any means

Ross a primary weapon (after AJ returns)
GREAT thread, first of all.

Just about Cincy, the points about this being such an anomalous game for Ross & Dalton prove too much. Years of meh under Lewis and then boom first game under Taylor they just happen to have their most productive game ever. I think FF can be slow to awaken to new systems and new coaches/coordinators.

dahabi said:
Passing on Mahomes and Watson to draft him must hurt for the Bears...
hindsight at its finest here. that year was considered a below average qb class (obviously wrong) and trubisky was considered the consensus QB1. the only mistake Chicago made was trading up 1 spot to get him, worried SF would trade to someone else who would take trubisky. At the time it was considered a mistake and that holds true today. "passing" on watson and mahomes wasnt anything anyone doubted at the time 

hindsight at its finest here. that year was considered a below average qb class (obviously wrong) and trubisky was considered the consensus QB1. the only mistake Chicago made was trading up 1 spot to get him, worried SF would trade to someone else who would take trubisky. At the time it was considered a mistake and that holds true today. "passing" on watson and mahomes wasnt anything anyone doubted at the time 
Is that why all those covering the draft were shocked at the pick? I kind of remember a lot of "Daniel Jones" comments at the time (and since of course with the emergence of Watson and Mahomes).

Cam is done.

You can just see it. His arm looked cooked to me last night. Not to mention just the look on his face. He is disengaged more than normal and I think even HE knows he can't do it anymore. Just my opinion.

Cam is done.

You can just see it. His arm looked cooked to me last night. Not to mention just the look on his face. He is disengaged more than normal and I think even HE knows he can't do it anymore. Just my opinion.
Fully with you. I just mentioned in the Cam thread that I expect him to either retire or end up on IR this weekend.

Fully with you. I just mentioned in the Cam thread that I expect him to either retire or end up on IR this weekend.
That seems a little extreme but I do agree that he clearly looks off. Maybe it's the shoulder, maybe the lack of reps this off-season who knows?

But one thing that has dogged him throughout his career is how he deals, or fails to deal with adversity. He has always been a front-runner and if things go sideways he doesn't seem to respond well. Even worse is it seems to show in his body language, something his teammates definitely pick up on. That's my interpretation of what I saw last night.

Is that why all those covering the draft were shocked at the pick? I kind of remember a lot of "Daniel Jones" comments at the time (and since of course with the emergence of Watson and Mahomes).
I think most covering the draft were shocked Chicago traded so much away to trade up for him. 

"Hindsight at its finest" more so applies if Mahomes and Watson were 5th round picks or something, not the players that were taken 8 picks and 10 picks later. We all know Mitch was projected as the top QB of the draft, but both Mahomes and Watson were projected to be 1st rounders, so I'm sure part of their plan involved assuming if they didn't trade with SF, they would be missing out on Mitch, and if they wanted a QB, the other guys would be there.

"Hindsight at its finest" more so applies if Mahomes and Watson were 5th round picks or something, not the players that were taken 8 picks and 10 picks later. We all know Mitch was projected as the top QB of the draft, but both Mahomes and Watson were projected to be 1st rounders, so I'm sure part of their plan involved assuming if they didn't trade with SF, they would be missing out on Mitch, and if they wanted a QB, the other guys would be there.
yes. so the mistake was trading up. not whom they picked 

Hollllllllywoooooooood house calls

If he's on the field Week 2 vs. that AZ secondary, it's gonna continue. Even with snap hog icons like Seth Roberts and Clarence (?) Moore on the roster.

I don't know if primary weapon when Green returns, but Ross was used all over Week 1. I'm actually surprised people don't think it'll continue until Green returns. I think he's must start. Sherman struggles with the fast WR he can't get his hands on. There's room for all 3 Green/Ross/Boyd. WIllis/Boyd/Ross all played 80% or more of snaps Week 1. 3 wide is a staple of that offense. 

Strongly disagree here. There was no consensus QB that year, not by a long shot. It also wasn't considered a weak QB class, with 3 clear 1st rounders. There were a ton of doubts about Trubisky, he wasn't even on the radar as a prospect coming into the year, and had almost zero D-1 experience. He was a huge risk at the time. Watson was coming off a dominant season(on a loaded team) and a national title, a ton of people preferred him to Trubisky. Mahomes was a bit behind them, and many were a little surprised he went as high as he did, especially ahead of Watson. He came from an air raid scheme, and was thought of as a little reckless(though it was up for debate if that was warranted, or if he just tried to do too much on a mediocre team) but Trubisky wasn't head and shoulders above them at all.

When White or Burkhead are in teams have to guard against the run and pass. When Sony is in they can stack the box against him.  It will be much harder to do that with the addition of AB and there will be plenty of game scripts where they will pound it with him. He'll be huge this week. Some weeks not so much. 

Hollllllllywoooooooood house calls

If he's on the field Week 2 vs. that AZ secondary, it's gonna continue. Even with snap hog icons like Seth Roberts and Clarence (?) Moore on the roster.

I don't know if primary weapon when Green returns, but Ross was used all over Week 1. I'm actually surprised people don't think it'll continue until Green returns. I think he's must start. Sherman struggles with the fast WR he can't get his hands on. There's room for all 3 Green/Ross/Boyd. WIllis/Boyd/Ross all played 80% or more of snaps Week 1. 3 wide is a staple of that offense. 
I think Ross will have a roll with or without AJ Green. It's seems very possible that this pie has gotten bigger in Cincy with Zac Taylor. Ross's TD's where a bit fluky but he put up decent numbers without those plays. 

I'm flipping Hollywood in my flex and we'll see what happens. I hate chasing points but this seems like a reasonable time to do it. I'd expect his snaps to go up and he has a QB who can get him the ball. 

I believe OP missed the two truest breakouts of new NFL studs from week 1 (outside of LamJax).

T.J. Hock and McClaurin F1
TJ is for real.

McClaurin is very good but is attached to Keenum who is not. I am still in wait and see mode with him but If you need him I don't hate it.

I dunno - they were pretty adamant about going with more of a vertical game. This seems like they executed what they’d be preaching. 

I agree Zeke will be worked back in, but this is the deepest set of weapons Dak has ever had. I wouldn’t be at all shocked if this were the new normal. 
Giants will have one of the worst defenses this year.  I don’t recall the giants even getting close to day all game.  

TJ is for real.

McClaurin is very good but is attached to Keenum who is not. I am still in wait and see mode with him but If you need him I don't hate it.
Keenum is a chucker. Not good for NFL QBing, and occasionally abysmal for fantasy as well, but he's supported top WR production in the past. But my comment about McC being a true breakout stud is actually completely independent of Keenum, in that I was talking about Scary Terry as an individual player, rather than as a 2019 fantasy producer. Though I actually do like him for the latter as well.

Strongly disagree here. There was no consensus QB that year, not by a long shot. It also wasn't considered a weak QB class, with 3 clear 1st rounders. There were a ton of doubts about Trubisky, he wasn't even on the radar as a prospect coming into the year, and had almost zero D-1 experience. He was a huge risk at the time. Watson was coming off a dominant season(on a loaded team) and a national title, a ton of people preferred him to Trubisky. Mahomes was a bit behind them, and many were a little surprised he went as high as he did, especially ahead of Watson. He came from an air raid scheme, and was thought of as a little reckless(though it was up for debate if that was warranted, or if he just tried to do too much on a mediocre team) but Trubisky wasn't head and shoulders above them at all.
KC was in great shape having the luxury of letting Mahomes sit a year. Mahomes has had the luxury of throwing to Kelce, Hill, Watkins and having solid RB play. Plus great coaching. Mahomes is clearly great but I wonder how things would have turned out if the Bears took him. He most likely would have played year 1 like Trubisky did and clearly  have inferior talent and coaching around him. Watson probably would have stepped in and been solid. 

It's scary to think what could have been for Chicago. 

Keenum is a chucker. Not good for NFL QBing, and occasionally abysmal for fantasy as well, but he's supported top WR production in the past. But my comment about McC being a true breakout stud is actually completely independent of Keenum, in that I was talking about Scary Terry as an individual player, rather than as a 2019 fantasy producer. Though I actually do like him for the latter as well.
I think Terry is gonna be a very good player as well. I am a Bronco fan and watched Keenum miss Courtland Sutton over and over again last year. Keenum has had one good year and that was throwing to Thielen and Diggs. Beyond that he is a journeyman QB. When you draft a WR for fantasy you are also drafting his QB. I think Terry will certainly bring back nice returns since he was probably picked up on waivers....I took him with my last pick in a 20 round draft. I can see some frustrating times as well. The good news is that it's so far so good with Terry and maybe this continues. He may be the pick up of the year.

When White or Burkhead are in teams have to guard against the run and pass. When Sony is in they can stack the box against him.  It will be much harder to do that with the addition of AB and there will be plenty of game scripts where they will pound it with him. He'll be huge this week. Some weeks not so much. 
I think this week stacks up nice.  After that my guess is he costs you more games than he wins, New England is just schizophrenic like that.

Users who are viewing this thread