What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm benching Mike Evans for .... in week 2 (1 Viewer)

Sarlakticacid

Footballguy
Thursday night on the road against a D he has not done much against recently possibly still sick and with quad issue

John Brown or D Jax for me

J Brown or J Ross

Ive got 3 panthers going tonight 

Cam, MCC, and the Panthers D

I hate these Thursday night games 

I don’t have Mike Evans, but if I drafted Mike Evans I would continue to start Mike Evans. 

It’s been one week - and this is a divisional game. 

The Bucs aren’t a great football team,, but the 49ers terrific pass rush made them look worse than they probably are. 

More Ronald Jones against a suspect CAR run game should open up the play action a bit.

this early in the season if Mike Evans is starting you start Mike Evans. 

I’ve had him every year since he came out except this one. Dude doesn’t usually have two bad games in a row. 

I could be wrong. 

FBGs don't seem too high on him. On my roster they are projecting 4 WRs (including DK Metcalf) to score higher than him this week using the League Dominator.

Last edited by a moderator:
FBGs don't seem too high on him. On my roster they are projecting 4 WRs to score higher than him this week using the League Dominator.
There seem to be some wild predictions on that thing. Not complaining, I like to see them going out on a limb. Just sayin

The concern is that Jameis seems to have regressed, Evans was bad against CAR in their last meeting, and he wasn't much better in week 1.

Evans was a guy I'm never in a really good spot to draft with my drafting philosophy so I don't know the vagaries of Evans's early-season performance nor performance consistency.

Gllllll peas.

Seriously, though, I can't see if I had to spend a mid-to-late second or front-end three on Evans that I'm benching him for anybody against this team. They were about 22-24 in DVOA at the end of 2018, and aren't rated that much higher this year. They just got thirty hung on them by the Rams.

Think abouddit. 

Then again, there's also being ahead of the curve and J Brown has a juicy match-up. I don't envy your decision. I still start Evans and Godwin with confidence tonight, and in reality, am starting Godwin in one league. 

There aren't 12 WR's I'd start over Mike Evans. He's a WR1 in my opinion this week, and I say that as someone starting Carolina's defense.

Benched for 3-4 of these in full PPR:

Lockett, Mclaurin, Diggs, Edelman, Conley, Boyd. 

Lot of negatives going against Evan's this week, I'll happily live w the consequences if he puts up wr1 numbers. Coming around to the realization that I dont have a WR1 unless someone other than Evan's emerges. 

It looks like Evans is getting the tough cover DB/double on him and Godwin gets the 2nd best. He's good enough to get open easily on these matchups and Jamies is starting to focus on looking Godwins way on nearly every play. Looks like us Evans owners are in for a tough season.

It looks like Evans is getting the tough cover DB/double on him and Godwin gets the 2nd best. He's good enough to get open easily on these matchups and Jamies is starting to focus on looking Godwins way on nearly every play. Looks like us Evans owners are in for a tough season.
Godwin only had one more target. Defenses will adjust and rotate coverage toward Godwin. Winston is also still learning a new offense. I'm not worried yet. 

I have Evans and Godwin, I played them both, figuring one of them will score most weeks... Evans will get his soon enough...

Wasn't feeling Evans in this game so benched him for one of these three to fill two spots: A Brown, Edelman, or Tyrell Williams. So far Brown sits with Evans. Hard to imagine that!

Football (fantasy and real) is just SO danged weird.  I mean, you have some guys with great talent like Michael Thomas and Nuk and Davante Adams that it seems like despite everyone knowing exactly what is coming, these guys can get 8 catches and 12 targets just by rolling out of bed.  

But then you have guys that everyone knows is great like Evans and AB and Diggs, etc, and teams seem to morph into these deals where they use them as high-priced decoys and the #2 thrives.  Sure, those players still end up with #1 stats but they aren't over-the-top dominant like they used to be.  I mean, I have zero doubt that no matter what happens this week, guys like Keenan Allen and Adam Thielen will post much better games than a true stud like Evans.  What is it in the heads of these teams?  

Football (fantasy and real) is just SO danged weird.  I mean, you have some guys with great talent like Michael Thomas and Nuk and Davante Adams that it seems like despite everyone knowing exactly what is coming, these guys can get 8 catches and 12 targets just by rolling out of bed.  

But then you have guys that everyone knows is great like Evans and AB and Diggs, etc, and teams seem to morph into these deals where they use them as high-priced decoys and the #2 thrives.  Sure, those players still end up with #1 stats but they aren't over-the-top dominant like they used to be.  I mean, I have zero doubt that no matter what happens this week, guys like Keenan Allen and Adam Thielen will post much better games than a true stud like Evans.  What is it in the heads of these teams?  
I think its mostly QB play that explains these items. 

I've been apologizing for Winston for too long.  He stinks. 

Everything is so dependent on game plan, defensive alignment, and QB that it's tough to ever have a constant baseline for comparison. But guys like Adams and Thielen are ahead of Evans, and I'd have them ranked there as receivers that deserve a higher draft slot. That's not just in retrospect. That would have been a predictive analysis of mine.

I think its mostly QB play that explains these items. 

I agree. Don't think much of him and his turnovers but then last night he actually had good numbers and Godwin can do well in that game and Evans can't?  I just don't know why I try to figure it out.  LOL

If i'm not mistaken, Winston went 14-20 last night, a nice seventy percent clip. I wouldn't give up on him in that new, deeper yet built off of running game offense yet. He'll be a better QB, just not for fantasy purposes.

Everything is so dependent on game plan, defensive alignment, and QB that it's tough to ever have a constant baseline for comparison. But guys like Adams and Thielen are ahead of Evans, and I'd have them ranked there as receivers that deserve a higher draft slot. That's not just in retrospect. That would have been a predictive analysis of mine.
I get you.  I know what you're saying but, just for the sake of discussion, let's say we both agree that Evans is as good a player as some of these guys I listed and maybe better than a few of them.  I mean, he has shown some performances that are in the same range and better at times.  He gets a coach that is known for offense and....I guess I just wonder at what point should a really "GOOD" player just become matchup proof. I mean, Kelce or Keenan Allen or Adam Thielen-doesn't matter who they play, where, what weather,  etc.  You look up and those guys have 12 targets, good catches, yards, and maybe some scoring.  Just seems like some guys are bullet proof and some guys ride those Julio Jones roller coasters.

It's still early too, and a new coaching staff. 

It's a long season. 
Good point. We assume they have had a half year to work with these guys but there is so little true practice these guys, it might take a month to figure out best usage. Good insight there.

I get you.  I know what you're saying but, just for the sake of discussion, let's say we both agree that Evans is as good a player as some of these guys I listed and maybe better than a few of them.  I mean, he has shown some performances that are in the same range and better at times.  He gets a coach that is known for offense and....I guess I just wonder at what point should a really "GOOD" player just become matchup proof. I mean, Kelce or Keenan Allen or Adam Thielen-doesn't matter who they play, where, what weather,  etc.  You look up and those guys have 12 targets, good catches, yards, and maybe some scoring.  Just seems like some guys are bullet proof and some guys ride those Julio Jones roller coasters.
Yup. I totally agree with you. Jones is that rare bird that fantasy guys still go all-in on and I avoid like the plague because it always seems like there's some statistical explanation for his statistical variance, and if we use the fun "baked-into-the-cake" phrase, it strikes me as a cake that collapses. Doesn't matter that the recipe was followed, it just does -- you can't serve that cake. And we'll never know why, because baking science points to YES!, results point to no. Sometimes just look at result, that's all and that's all I've got. But there's no predictive value in that, nor even empirical reasoning, so it gets shunted aside as an explanation. 

Why do they get theirs? Sometimes the best answer is that they just do, that's all, and that's all that can be said. 

IOW, TL;DR.

All I know sometimes is that I know nothing but that which is there, without navel-gazing or searching as to why. 

"Hey! That rock's crushing my foot."

"How did the rock get there? Who put it there? What is the probability of that? Who...What...?"

"GET IT OFF!"

Users who are viewing this thread