What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adam Sandler front runner for an Oscar? (1 Viewer)

Man, I try to live without regrets... but this one will haunt me forever.

I was good friends (and still "Facebook friends") with Sandler's cousin in college.

She got him to come to UC Santa Barbara to do his comedy show (he was just transitioning from SNL to movies, etc.)

She invited me to go to his show as a VIP and then out for beers with him after the show.

I said no, because I had schoolwork to take care of.

What a d00shbucket I was.

I was good friends (and still "Facebook friends") with Sandler's cousin in college.

She got him to come to UC Santa Barbara to do his comedy show (he was just transitioning from SNL to movies, etc.)

She invited me to go to his show as a VIP and then out for beers with him after the show.

Oof

He was really good in that movie where he played the famous comedian where he thought he was going to die. Seth Rogan a bunch of other comedians were in it. 
He was also excellent in P.T. Anderson's Punch Drunk Love

Full disclosure: I like Sandler as per his public persona and his more serious funny movies rather than Grown-Ups and vanity projects. I liked Happy Gilmore. Thought it was a blast. 

He was also excellent in P.T. Anderson's Punch Drunk Love

Full disclosure: I like Sandler as per his public persona and his more serious funny movies rather than Grown-Ups and vanity projects. I liked Happy Gilmore. Thought it was a blast. 
Yup. He just gets rich in those dumb movies. Can’t fault him for that. 

I very briefly met Sandler, well more of his entourage. I was helping out with some PR stuff for my work and he was at the same event promoting something. He came by and saw my stuff one of his entourage guys started hitting me up for one (was not happening) and telling me how I should give Sandler my stuff. Sandler told the guy to stop embarrassing him and to leave me alone and said sorry :lol:  

Come on man lol.

He was really good in that movie where he played the famous comedian where he thought he was going to die. Seth Rogan a bunch of other comedians were in it. 
Funny People. Yeah, that was a great movie.

My favorite Sandler movie was Spanglish. I have an irrational love of that movie and his performance in it. So good. 

People like to crap on Sandler, but he's had some really good movies even after the Madison/Gilmore days (50 First Dates qualifies there too, I think). 

Can't speak for the Sandler role but Lopez definitely deserves consideration
Yeah, I can't wait to see Hustlers. It sounds great. There are actually several movies coming out this fall/winter that sound great and I plan to see. 

Uncut Gems was directed (and written and edited) by Benny and Josh Safdie.

The brothers' other films have an intense visceral style using a lot of tightly cropped framing.   Their 2017 heist movie Good Time starring Robert Pattinson is streaming on Amazon Prime.

Yup. He just gets rich in those dumb movies. Can’t fault him for that. 

I very briefly met Sandler, well more of his entourage. I was helping out with some PR stuff for my work and he was at the same event promoting something. He came by and saw my stuff one of his entourage guys started hitting me up for one (was not happening) and telling me how I should give Sandler my stuff. Sandler told the guy to stop embarrassing him and to leave me alone and said sorry :lol:  
He started talking slowly to you in a baby voice, then turned on his buddy and yelled like he was losing his #### like he does in every movie, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandler reminds me of Jim Carrey in that his comedic shtick is so ingrained in his acting personality that it is very difficult to take him seriously in what is apparently meant to be a dramatic role.  Even watching that trailer, every time he spoke, he had that high-pitched voice going to where I was waiting for him to break out a Billy Madison line.  

Uncut gems is on the torrent sites, just watched it. Sandler was incredible, he needs to be nominated at a minimum.

I strongly disagree with this if you are referring to Hustlers.  Saw it a weekend or two ago....no bueno.
Really? I thought it was great. Everyone I saw it with had a great time with it.

As David Spade correctly points out, acting is easy.

David Spade - acting is easy

All good examples in there but I like the one that points out Jennifer Hudson gets 8th place in amateur American Idol contest in profession she's trained her whole life for. Then she does 1 movie and wins an Oscar. LOL.
Though to be fair, she was basically playing herself in that movie. I’m sure acting isn’t too hard if you just play yourself but it’s got to be much more challenging when you take on a character different from yourself like the Daniel Day Lewis types.

Users who are viewing this thread