What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Away 40th anniversary pic (1 Viewer)

“You know what really gets me though? I mean, here I am, I gotta live in this stinkin' town and I gotta read in the newspapers about some hot shot kid - new star of the college team. Every year it's gonna be a new one. And every year it's never gonna be me. I'm just gonna be Mike. Twenty-year-old Mike. Thirty-year-old Mike. Old mean old man Mike.

Great line in the movie that always stuck with me

“You know what really gets me though? I mean, here I am, I gotta live in this stinkin' town and I gotta read in the newspapers about some hot shot kid - new star of the college team. Every year it's gonna be a new one. And every year it's never gonna be me. I'm just gonna be Mike. Twenty-year-old Mike. Thirty-year-old Mike. Old mean old man Mike.

Great line in the movie that always stuck with me
also REFUND?? REFUND?!?!?! :lmao:

First date I ever went on was to this movie. Double date; my cousin and 2 girls he went to school with.  Both girls were into my cousin.

Good movie, though.

I just saw that it's on Netflix or Hulu or Amazon the other night...was tempted to watch it, but thought I'd show it to the kids.

I've never seen this movie.  Is it worth a watch today?  Or is it more of a nostalgia film where you sorta had to be there. 
i can't imagine one would appreciate it as much as those who know how many movie tropes Breaking Away initiated (i mean, EVERYJohn Hughes flick is a remake of it), but it has great heart and tremendous performances. it would probably help to know that half the guys who went to college in the 70s made up a totally bull#### persona for babes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grew up in Bloomington and went to IU. Was 6 when they filmed this. I know every place they filmed every scene. Makes me misty when I watch this movie thinking of my childhood. Such a great place to grow up.

I most likely wouldn’t have seen this pic, thanks for posting.

I remember watching it in the theater. I still throw in the DVD every now and again. Kids today would say it's ancient and outdated. I think 40+ year olds that just missed it or never watched it would enjoy it. The young 'uns . . . maybe not so much. Great movie though.

i can't imagine one would appreciate it as much as those who know how many movie tropes Breaking Away initiated (i mean, EVERYJohn Hughes flick is a remake of it), but it has great heart and tremendous performances. it would probably help to know that half the guys who went to college in the 70s made up a totally bull#### persona for babes.
iirc, the Dad in Breaking Away was also the dad in Sixteen Candles.

Grew up in Bloomington and went to IU. Was 6 when they filmed this. I know every place they filmed every scene. Makes me misty when I watch this movie thinking of my childhood. Such a great place to grow up.

I most likely wouldn’t have seen this pic, thanks for posting.
Cutter

A well deserved oscar for best original screenplay (Steve Tesich).  The mom and her passport, the dad  and his scene on campus  Both really deep characters for supporting roles. So many memorable scenes and lines in this movie.  We need more great writers doing movies like this today.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
One of my favorite movies. FWIW, both my teens really liked it when I made them watch it 

A couple of years ago when we were visiting Boston, I took the family to a brand new super-luxe cinema. When the guy said that tickets were $22, I said “Each!?” Apparently it was a real-life “Refund” moment which my kids now delight in deploying as a catch phrase anytime I grouse about how much something costs. 

Users who are viewing this thread