What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Movies or tv shows that capture the 1980s well? (1 Viewer)

Young Sheldon captures the late 80's fairly well, includes numerous high school football and Radio Shack scenes.

there were a LOT of frikkin 80s, wazoo - waaaay more than any other decade cuz both culture & society were finding out what to do with freedom and the boomers trashed all their principles and started chasing money. there's the latchkey kid/fanboy 80s, the adults doing things i really wish they hadn't 80s, the "run til you crash" 80s, the commercialization of everything 80s, the let's put all the toothpaste back in the tube 80s. now that i mention it, it's conceivable to find a story that might capture all those EightiesWorlds and a few more (probably a beautiful dollar in it, too) but i cant think of any who have.

I'd just play the double feature of 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' and 'Wall Street'

From a contemporary standpoint, the TV show "The Americans" had an 80s feel (albeit not as "in your face" as Stranger Things is)

Are we only talking about post-‘80s shows/movies or also stuff that came out during the ‘80s that encapsulates the period?

Which 80s? There were several 80s depending on years and location. Donnie Darko, American Psycho and Fast Times at Ridgemont High are 3 that come to mind. 

I think a lot depends on how old you were in the 80's.

If you're younger it might be something like The Breakfast Club.

If older, maybe Dallas Buyers Club.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Breakfast Club are two excellent examples. 

I would also throw Weird Science into the conversation. 

It's a poorly done caricature of the 80s done by guys who were born in the 1980s that think they know the 80s.
Poorly done caricature? I guessed my life as a 10 year old in 1983, when this show took place, being mimicked almost perfectly by the show proves I lived in a caricature. But then again, the 80's sort of was. 

If anyone says "The Goldbergs" I'm sending you a mail bomb.
What is wrong with you?

Poorly done caricature? I guessed my life as a 10 year old in 1983, when this show took place, being mimicked almost perfectly by the show proves I lived in a caricature. But then again, the 80's sort of was. 

What is wrong with you?
Whoa, fella...this Jose guy knows decades. 

Users who are viewing this thread