What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (8 Viewers)

It's important to keep stressing the point that Trump wanted Ukraine to publicly announce the investigation of Burisma and the Bidens. That way, even if there was nothing there, just the announcement itself would hurt Biden's campaign. This needs to be stressed because later on some Trump defenders are going to argue that this was all about fighting corruption. 
I’m sure this is exactly the line of questioning the Democrats are taking. Mr Taylor, why do you think it was important to President Trump that the investigation was announced publicly? In your diplomatic experience are investigations into corruption typically announced publicly?

It's important to keep stressing the point that Trump wanted Ukraine to publicly announce the investigation of Burisma and the Bidens. That way, even if there was nothing there, just the announcement itself would hurt Biden's campaign. This needs to be stressed because later on some Trump defenders are going to argue that this was all about fighting corruption. 
I've already had that exact conversation with DN (and, I think HT). "Why should it be a problem if Biden wasn't doing anything wrong?"*

*Disclaimer: Not a precise quote because I'm too lazy to back through this thread and find it, so I'm paraphrasing.

That opening statement is a very interesting read.  Very damning for the President and Rudy.  I really think anyone defending him at this point has blinders on.  The order of witnesses has been very strategic.  John Bolton should be interviewed soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor's opening statement - going old school - xerox pages...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/opening-statement-of-ambassador-william-b-taylor/6b3a6edf-f976-4081-ba7f-bce45468a3ff/

ETA - technically its photos of the statement taken by cell phone - but it has a xerox vibe...
This is pretty amazing especially the stuff about releasing add and opening up an investigation at the same time saying there is no quid pro quo.  Clearly that is just a lie as I would like to point out to that just saying no quid pro quo doesn't mean there was no quid pro quo.  

That opening statement is a very interesting read.  Very damning for the President and Rudy.  I really thing anyone defending him at this point has blinders on.  The order of witnesses has been very strategic.  John Bolton should be interviewed soon.
To that point - from Tom Nichols on twitter - 

"When you see the usual pro-Trump conservative writers out there trying to undermine Taylor's testimony, always bear in mind one thing: They know better. They know the law. They understand the basics of diplomacy. Their arguments are being made in bad faith. They. Know."

"When you see the usual pro-Trump conservative writers out there trying to undermine Taylor's testimony, always bear in mind one thing: They know better. They know the law. They understand the basics of diplomacy. Their arguments are being made in bad faith. They. Know."
The words that I remember
From my childhood still are true
That there's none so blind
As those who will not see

The pro-Trump modus operandi is to smear the person, but not actually refute the substance of their claims.  We'll see if that holds true here.

The pro-Trump modus operandi is to smear the person, but not actually refute the substance of their claims.  We'll see if that holds true here.
Oh, it probably will. Of course, resorting to personal attacks is a sign that the person has lost the argument anyway.

All you need if that and then the Fox/Limbaugh/online propaganda machine takes it from there. Combine with a compliant mainstream media and you got SCANDAL!

Still a nothing burger as it stands now.  Dead upon arrival in Senate unless new info comes out damning to Trump.
Of course it's dead on arrival.  That's got nothing to do with the fact that it's clear that Trump engaged in a quid pro quo which again isn't necessary but is definitely here to go after Biden to help himself politically.

It's because the Senate is in Republican hands and they will do nothing about it.  Which is a good reason to flip the Senate, and may actually make that happen.

Still a nothing burger as it stands now.  Dead upon arrival in Senate unless new info comes out damning to Trump.
Dead on arrival...not due to facts and what information there is...but due to the complicit GOP running the senate.  And the public trial will expose them for what they are.  And they will continue to lose power as they did in 2018.

History will not look kindly on the McConnell's of the world and those that enabled the corruption in the White House.

timschochet said:
How many Republicans are privately just wishing right now that Trump would magically go away?
I remember reading a quote last month from an unnamed Republican Senator that if the Senate vote was secret, 30 GOP Senators would vote to convict.  I'd guess that the number has only gone up since then.

Don’t worry I’m sure we will eventually learn that on the official transcript includes Trump telling him ‘just to be clear this is a quid-pro-quo.’* That’s about the only thing that could be more damning than Taylor’s opening statement.

*Note: not an actual Trump quote, at least not yet.

Just put it to a vote soon so the Dems in Counties that voted for Trump will have to own their partisanship.  This will crush the Dems in 2020.
Why would it crush them?  The public continues to support this inquiry.  Calling them partisan is laughable.

And the process is not over...why do you want to keep skipping part of the process and move straight to the Senate trial rather than letting the inquiry do what its supposed to?

Why would it crush them?  The public continues to support this inquiry.  Calling them partisan is laughable.

And the process is not over...why do you want to keep skipping part of the process and move straight to the Senate trial rather than letting the inquiry do what its supposed to?
The more the public learns of this failed coup the better.  It is like Russia 2.0!

The more the public learns of this failed coup the better.  It is like Russia 2.0!
A.  It isn't a coup and that is a completely false thing to even call this...just flat out dangerous for POTUS to be pushing such nonsense.

B.  The more they learn...the more support goes against Trump in this situation.

C.  Russia also wasn't a nothing burger.

This stuff flys on that other board because people still believe Trump there...here, we question such things.

A.  It isn't a coup and that is a completely false thing to even call this...just flat out dangerous for POTUS to be pushing such nonsense.

B.  The more they learn...the more support goes against Trump in this situation.

C.  Russia also wasn't a nothing burger.

This stuff flys on that other board because people still believe Trump there...here, we question such things.
No matter how much you believe it doesn't make it true.  Keep living in your protected echo chamber bubble.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Bolton confirms the quid pro quo.  Rank and file Republicans have no idea who these other people are and don't trust them.  But Bolton?  Does anyone actually believe he would lie to benefit Democrats?

No matter how much you believe it doesn't make it true.  Keep living in your protected echo chamber bubble.
Actually...what I stated is true...not because I believe it...but because it is.  You should back up your assertion that it is a coup...with something other than your feelings.  Because it is a completely false claim and you know that. Echo chamber is funny coming from people who spend time parroting Trump's lies.

Poll after poll after poll shows me tob e correct about the support of the inquiry.

One piece of the puzzle that still seems to be missing is what finally triggered the release of the funds on September 11th? I don’t think the public announcement ever happened. Did they get spooked that someone would go public? Or was there some other kind of assurance that was given?

One piece of the puzzle that still seems to be missing is what finally triggered the release of the funds on September 11th? I don’t think the public announcement ever happened. Did they get spooked that someone would go public? Or was there some other kind of assurance that was given?
John Bolton resigned on September 10.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Bolton confirms the quid pro quo.  Rank and file Republicans have no idea who these other people are and don't trust them.  But Bolton?  Does anyone actually believe he would lie to benefit Democrats?
The fact that they don’t ‘know’ them likely helps their credibility with rank and file Republicans. Someone like Bolton confirming it will be more for the public benefit.

But the more the public gets behind it, the harder it will be for the GOP to ignore it. The tipping point is when ignoring it becomes more damaging than upsetting the Trump base. Who knows if that will ever happen.

John Bolton resigned on September 10.
So the fear that Bolton was going public is the winner. His testimony is going to be must-see TV. We’re getting the full picture of what the diplomats did, next will be to find out what the cabinet members did behind the scenes.

Emoluments claise is phony and the others (following their constitutional duty) are having a war on the constitution?

Users who are viewing this thread